Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's cognitive dissonance to contend that Mick's 2020 qualification campaign was a "tatters" while discussing the positives of the subsequent campaigns under Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

I was in favour of the SK appointment and always thought he needed time to instill his philosophy and ideas etc. He also needed to overhaul our playing pool and bring through a lot of young players.

However, this was the campaign he was always aiming for. Irrespective of the other teams in our group consistent performances and displays were a must. Kenny has had these players together for at least two weeks and had plenty of time to prepare for Greece. We were shambolic at times last night.

His big selection calls of Smallbone and O'Dowda were a complete disaster. The game completely bypassed Smallbone and he didn't seem to have any idea of his role defensively.

O'Dowda obviously was at fault for both goals. Didn't have any idea what was going on around him for the second goal. These two and Lenihan were the calls Kenny made and 2 were very poor.

Greece rely on the wing backs for switching play and creating chances. We should have gone for 2 solid wing backs at least until the second half.

I think Kenny needs to go but, I have no ideas in regards who could or even want to replace him. I think whoever comes in needs to make us harder to play against. I think you can be hard to play against without necessarily being a long ball team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Poyet surely would have been a relatively cheap appointment when he was available given his stock had fallen a bit? At least would have structure on the pitch and that South American (Uruguayan) fire and fury in the dugout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The point I was making about Wales was Toshack had the stature and know how to do it. He was given time. Kenny was/is learning on the job - with low profile/stature.

When Toshack took the Wales job (2004) that was his second spell as an international manager. He had a short spell in 1994. Plus Tosack had top level managerial experience behind him.

Sporting CP

Real Sociedad *2

Real Madrid *2 

Real Sociedad

Deportivo 

Beşiktas 

Saint-Étienne

Real Murcia

All before he took the Wales job again in 2004 - Toshack had all that top management experience done, He was 53 years of aged experienced, well spoken in media. And had his high profile playing career on top of that - which gave him his stature. It gave trust as well.

--

In contrast Stephen Kenny - his only managerial experience outside the league of Ireland at club level was Dunfermline in Scotland. At International Level he only managed the Ireland u21's for three years with no successes. No playing career/management of note to fall back on in his late 40's when he got the Ireland senior job.

--

Brian Kerr this is the key contrast to Kenny - no experience at club level beyond LOI before he took the Ireland job. But Kerr had 6 years of underage International football management, And was wildly successful. This gave Kerr a profile and stature in the game to fall back on. Despite having no playing career of note.

--

Kenny was doomed to fail for the following reasons

1) No real stature as a manager or player (Stature would buy a fella time - also gives likely more know how tactically etc)

2) Wedded to a 'philosophy' regardless of the players available and whether it would make Ireland competitive - that is basically putting the cart before the horse.

3) Poor communicator in the media - he makes Noel King seem like a great orator in comparison - these days a manager has to be able for the media stuff. His mate Vinny Perth even alluded to how 'up and down' Kenny has been with the media stuff. (It would hardly inspire the fans/players etc. You just end up perplexed. or feeling sorry for Kenny after one of his press conferences.)

--

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I always felt in qualifying campaigns that we had a chance to qualify, still did this time 24 hours ago.

That’s gone now, 2 campaigns in a row where we’re gone after 2 games. Whether it’s the standard of players or the management, it’s unforgivable.

2026 World Cup our next chance, I’m not confident even now if things stay the same.

I loved the idea of breeding youngsters from the 21s, familiar face with Kenny but he’s obviously not up to it.

Fact is, we’re going nowhere with him but the FAI haven’t a pot to piss in due to decades of mismanagement so we’re between a rock and a hard place. We’re not an attractive proposition to any potential manager and no money. I’ve no idea who replaces him and wouldn’t be surprised if the FAI sticks with him to the detriment of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

The team was old, in dire need of refreshment. Instead of bringing younger players through consistently we never did it, there was no progression from u21s to the senior team, which left a massive job for Kenny to overhaul.

And this “a goal away from qualifying” is incredibly selective nonsense imo, designed to make it sound like Kenny was handed some golden generation .It was a goal we never were going to get too, because the entire philosophy of Mick and previous managers is don’t get beat. A point is the desired outcome as long as it doesn’t knock us out. That campaign we didn’t play for a goal at all until we went behind. We’d play for a 0-0. Even that last game, we got an early goal but were then thoroughly outplayed and kept at arms length.

It’s fine saying we were tough to beat but we hadn’t a hope of winning a game either, and that is a requirement if you’re going to qualify for things - and remember, this was Micks one and only job, and he failed. 2 results he got that some people would have crucified Kenny for: 1-0 away to Gibraltar and 0-0 away to Georgia. And the FAI ended up paying him an extra million for the privilege.

Agreed opponents are almost shocked at how easy it is to cut through this Ireland team. And that is opponents at all levels. Early on Finland and Bulgaria copped on quick that these lads are no threat.

Then later even Luxembourg and Armenia said to themselves lads let's have a go at this Ireland team.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He does make Noel king look like anything. Let’s not get carried away.

Omobamidele ma’s Facebook account has confirmed Norwich and Milan are discussing a fee for him so that’s fantastic news

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think this is a very fair assessment of what has gone on. It’s great what can be achieved when you’re actively not trying to be emotive about it.

There were just three players aged between 24-29 (the ‘prime’ years) in the starting XI last night. That should be the spine of your team and it represents the failure of previous regimes in bringing through players. 27-year-old Josh Cullen has 25 caps, 29-year-old Darragh Lenihan has 4 caps, and 28-year-old Callum O’Dowda has 27 caps.

If we were to play the same squad in five years time, Bazunu, Molumby, Collins, Smallbone and Idah fall into this age range, while you’ll also have Knight, Parrott, Johnston, Obafemi off the bench. That makes a huge difference. Even our captain last night, John Egan, has 33 caps to his name. How are we supposed to just brush over the fact that even our captain is a baby in terms of international football experience but yet is at the tail-end of his prime?

The neglect of previous regimes all in the name of John Delaney’s pissups is why we are where we are. Kenny can take responsibility for bringing this group of players through but equally he can take responsibility for not being able to make the step up to top tier international football. It is what it is. He earned a shot at it, it didn’t work out, we need to move on.

I’d happily see him go back to the 21s. People forget that he had them playing exceptional stuff and it was one of the reasons to get excited. Let him work with them and to develop the players because that’s one thing we have learned from his time is that he has that capability.

As for his replacement, the entire process of the last three years will be a complete waste of time if we go back to the same old attitude of results first. This is about maintaining the progression of Irish football. I was sick and tired of watching us having to score injury-time winners against Georgia while being played off the park because we were too scared to concede.

Another campaign looking dead and buried early doors.

27% win rate as manager speaks volumes. How he is still in a job is astounding. The sooner he's gone the better.

A lot of people are finally starting to turn on him thankfully. Enough is enough.

Nobody is ‘turning’ on him. What a ridiculous mindset.

In five years time everyone will be grateful to Kenny for the work he has done in bringing this group of players through. Ultimately, this was the campaign he was aiming for and the same problems arose. He earned a fair chance, he got one, and it hasn’t worked out.

What I will never forgive is the group of people here who were desperate for the team to lose every game so they could stick the boot in both to Kenny and the League of Ireland. Those ‘fans’ should be ashamed of themselves and do not deserve to be part of any success in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Well may aswell keep him for next 2 games as they are 2 dead rubbers as it stands anyway.

No idea who can come in or who would want it. Would say Rodgers but he's well out of our budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,515 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rodgers is likely on his way to Celtic and didn't want to manage in the championship....no hope he was doing the Ireland job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But when/why were these players meant to add to their caps? Granted Egan for Keogh and Cullen getting time over Hendrick/Hourihane coulda been done much sooner but Lenihan and O'Dowda were never much better than back up to the backup in a fit selection so they had no place being selected over better players.

Thats just how all international football works some players dont get many caps during their career because they just aren't better than the incumbent, and not many managers will purposefully name a weakened team.

• Advertisement

Kerr was denied another campaign he had earned because he was "LOI" and wasn't considered of sufficient gravitas and stature. Kerr was close in a tough group after successfully overhauling the "ways of working" around the Senior setup, i.e. the facilities, the food, the travelling arrangements, etc. Keane praised him after the fact and indicated that he should have been retained.

My view is that Kenny was an entirely appropriate appointment. He had done well with Dundalk and the U21s and had demonstrated an ability to get results in European football with the odds against his teams. I have no time for the 'he's just a LOI manager' view.

But it hasn't worked on the pitch from very early, and he has struggled to handle the media. The FAI probably gave him more time than was earned on the field, one campaign too many. But in many ways, we probably needed to do that, given the desperation in the media and on the terraces for Kenny to succeed.

A massive mistake that happened with Kerr was losing him from the system entirely. Kenny could play a future role at U21 / Development level in an ideal world.

Post edited by LuckyLloyd on

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

It was better than sitting back and trying not to get beat like Mick did against Gibraltar at home. That defeat was random with a pot shot from 30 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭kksaints

Think you mean Dundalk instead of Drogheda but I won't disagree with too much of that although I do think people forget how the Kerr era ended with some poor performances and very defensive setups in matches we needed to win. I think the disastrous Staunton era covers up just how much everyone wanted change after the WC06 campaign.

There are so many reasons you could play younger players trying to make the grade.

Why did we have to play Clark and Duffy against Moldova instead of giving Egan a go? Or even have him do half an hour off the bench? Familiarise him with what it takes. Did Clark and Duffy have to play every game?

Why was Kevin Long being selected in squads ahead of Egan? He barely played any senior football whatsoever and Egan was playing week-in, week-out.

Egan made his debut in 2017 and earned 12 caps in FOUR years. That is criminal. He had been a top-half Championship/lower Premier League centre back in that time frame. How did he only earn 12 caps before he turned 28?

You can't tell me that was anything other than neglect. He was inexperienced, so therefore he couldn't be trusted because it had to be about the results and nothing else.

Darragh Lenihan has earned as many caps when he was playing in League 1 than he has playing in the Championship. I'm not saying he should be a regular all the time, but 4 caps? You don't think there was any room for him to have more than that?

The point I'm making is that it was always the tried and tested who played no matter how awful they did play. Why? Because the younger lads were never trusted. Kenny came in and you hear the likes of Shane Long bitching about how Kenny gave his #9 shirt away. The entitlement was real because it was ingrained in the older players' mindsets that their position was secure.

Nonsense, we created more chances in open play overall under Kenny than other managers in the last 10 years. Set pieces are still our best option because our attacking players, Fergusson aside are not good enough to create anything.

People hear were demanding Smallbone start for Ireland, Kenny did start him and is now getting hammered for it. Just cant win with some people

• Advertisement

What the players did to Kerr was a disgrace and the FAI/Delaney were worst for giving into them! None of our current players have any right to have a moan or to not respect the current manager.

Like you say i think it would be a good thing if Kenny was brought back into the FAI in another role to look over youth development. Kerr not being involved with the FAI after he was got rid of was a disgrace and we are paying for that now.

As you said Kenny was the right appointment at time, it hasnt worked out results wise so we move on but again need to keep with a similar style of play and a progressive manager.

Players are only one part of the equation, though. As much as I think we've had 15 years of 'grass is greener' moaning about players not being selected (the Andy Reid criticism), and I think this is one aspect of Kenny's reign that needs to endure, it's ultimately the minor part of the equation. We can bring players through more frequently while being tougher to beat without completely surrendering the initiative to use the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

It will only be fantastic news if he is playing regularly. Is full time on the bench at Milan better than 30 competitive games in the championship?

He is a talented player, so hoping it works out for him if it happens

The reason Kerr was sacked was not entirely because of his LOI mantle IMO.

The reason was sacked mainly was the Irish public had 'notions'. Kerr's approach was viewed as too conservative by sections of the media and the fans.

So he was given his p45 by Delaney and fell out big style with the FAI. No involvement with them after that which was a terrible waste of football knowledge. I think Kerr was the most harshly done out of it manager - by the way.

Kerr had LOI support and non LOI support due to his success at underage, so it was too much to ignore for the FAI initially. Kenny by contrast only got the job because the FAI were stuck, and wanted to save money. So they could dress it up as 'building for the future' with zero expectations.

The way some people are talking you would swear Kenny was the first Irish manager to blood players internationally. I already mentioned Stan he tried a load of players - Dixon Lapria etc.

Mick McCarthy blooded a load of players after the Charlton era - Mark Kennedy - Kilbane etc. Even big Jack blooded players in his own way (finding Aldo and Houghton at Oxford). I well remember the hype over the '3 amigos' - Babb - McAteeer - Gary Kelly prior to USA 94.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cullen and Molumby quite possibly put in worst performance I have ever seen. Every outfield player looked poor and had no idea tactically.

My worry is FAI have not a cent so we could be left with the rot till next year.

I acknowledged Egan shoulda been in sooner instead of Keogh.

For Lenihan he is lucky to have even had 4. He wouldn't even have had one yesterday if one of Omobamidele or O'Shea were fit enough to start, and if both were fit he'd have struggled to even get the final spot on the bench over Sykes, but probably woulda just scraped it.

He was simply never good enough to play so there really wasn't room no. He was never a better option than emergency back up to the back up. International Football isn't club football games are fairly scarce theres no Carabao Cup to give the fringe reserves a run out.

No national team regularly gives game time to the emergency back ups to the back up. That'd be insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭briany

I agree that Kenny should go, although I'm not that fussed if he goes now or at the end of this campaign, since the campaign looks to be a write off, almost, by this stage.

He seems like a nice man who has a genuine passion for football, but the result of his appointment will be that Irish football is set back by about ten years because the next appointee is almost guaranteed to be a practitioner of defensive football and dull performances which might get Ireland one place higher in the table, but still not qualifying for things.

Ultimately, what Ireland needs doesn't really begin with the manager. It begins with finding at least one world class player to build a team around. Then you get a manager who can devise a gameplan which exploits those talents as much as possible. This is what it took England nearly 20 years to figure out, and that's with the advantage of having the Premier League, etc. Ireland, without these advantages, has its work cut out, but this is what needs to be done. Until then, we have to just accept that a change of manager will at best result in someone who can cobble a collection of Championship journeymen and Premiership bench warmers into a team who can play above themselves on big occasions.

The real litmus test will be how many of these Kenny debutants will be held onto by subsequent managers as mainstays? And how many will be dropped as starters? Personally I think only about 4/5 players are safe from any cull.

Parrott, Molumby, Idah, Obafemi, Cullen, Johnston, Smallbone, McGrath, would struggle to be starters under future management. Ogbene might only be an impact sub with with his pace. IMO.

-

So basically Kenny's legacy will be three centre backs (Collins - Lenihan - O'Shea) - two keepers (Bazunu Kelleher) - and a forward (Ferguson). starting and maybe the Ogbene impact sub. Six/Seven players?

The rest could all be got rid of by more pragmatic future managers for various reasons. I think those keepers, centre backs and Ferguson would have received debuts regardless of which manager was in charge because of their obvious quality and level they play at.

Ok if the players you named would struggle to have been starters under another manager, who would have been picked? Who has been better tham Cullen and Molumby? Thank God Kenny put them in there. Think they are bad imagine being stuck with Hourihane and Hendrik.

What you fail to see is these players are the best we have available and they are simply not that good. And unless these lads kick on at club level there is sweet f all any manager can do with them.

By the Kenny was absolutely the right manager at the time and wasnt promoted because we were broke it was because he was the best candiate at the time. Your hatred for him cant rewrite history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

The midfield was the biggest issue last night. We went in level at HT, and though I'm not his greatest fan, Hendrick, I thought his experience would have been the obvious HT switch to try bring a bit of cohesion in the MF. Instead, Johnson came in, nut meg, O'Dowda sleeping and thereafter chasing the game all over again, with barely a pass completed by anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think most of our players have faith in Kenny at all.

Would have put Collins in midfield for a start much more defensively solid. Then tell the midfield three to stop trying to be clever get it out wide quick less danger there - plus worries opponents if done quickly/aggressively.

There is no hatred from me by the way, Kenny is just an Ireland manager, I don't know the fella personally. Where have I shown 'hatred' just because I think Kenny was only ever a stop gap?

I never called for him to be sacked either. He was only ever going be temporary until a better/more experienced manager comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Augme

I think the first paragraph sums up perfectly the problem with Irish football fans. Supporting elite premiership teams seems to give the average Irish soccer fan a bit of sense of delusion when it comes to the Irish football team. I'm a Liverpool fan so not like I'm knocking support a foreign club.

You talking about minding the kids until a more "qualified" person comes in. Who is this more qualified person youbhave in mind exactly? Would genuinely be very interested in a list of all these more qualified managers who would be interested in the job.

Roy Keane as I already said he will get a bit of structure on it, and get a bit of fight in the team at least. I also wouldn't say no to Mick McCarthy coming back and sorting the mess out.

Brian Kerr another who should be under consideration he should be involved in some capacity, Whether it be manager or in an advisor capacity similar to what the FAI tried with Bobby Robson.

None of those choices are too 'out there' plus they are all Irish - all experienced with International experience either as a player and/or manager.

I don't support any Premier League English team and I don't think Ireland should be looking at has been English managers when there are three choices there straightaway - Kerr - McCarthy - Roy Keane.

Roy Keane would be the obvious pick.

I still think Kerr has a point to prove - one last hurrah

Or that McCarthy only left Ireland reluctantly the last time because of the FAI's choice of a 'new direction'.

--

As for my first paragraph it is nothing to with delusion just that I viewed Kenny as a stop gap to blood players on the cheap - zero expectations etc. It is always going to be the next manager after Kenny IMO who would put a bit of 'smacht' on this Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Never read so much nonsense in one post.

If defensive football "might get Ireland one place higher in the table, but still not qualifying for things"... then why did Ireland consistently qualify for tournaments under managers who played pragmatic football? I can understand people not wanting to watch that style, but why make up nonsense and talk sh!te?

If Irish football has been set back, then it's because we hired the wrong manager who wasn't anywhere near good enough for the job. Something many Irish football fans pointed out at the time of Kenny's appointment, but we were all ignored because a certain section of our support were convinced he would transform the team. We wasted 3 years on this stupid project, pretending the style of play was more important than results... and of course, no big surprise that bad results will be the reason if Kenny is eventually shown the door!

Your last point is so far from logical, that it barely even warrants a reply. The manager is vital to whatever we hope to achieve going forward with the national team. We got the Kenny appointment badly wrong, and we can all see the end results of that mistake as we are nowhere near qualifying for tournaments. It's absolutely vital that we get the next appointment right, otherwise we will likely be left in the international wilderness for a long time...

Collins is a no brainer to step into midfield if Omobamidele, O'Shea and Egan are all fit.

He'd be the best midfielder we have.

The fai are highly unlikely to appoint Roy keane because they don’t want to be embarrassed by press questions about why they employed a personality known to fall out with people around him…..after he would inevitably fall out with people if he got the job.

to emphasize when you are on an executive with the responsibility of making important decisions you have to make sure there are not obviously predictable negative consequences to the decision.

if Roy keane was appointed I would take it as a very worrying development to the soundness of the decision making body in the fai executive

So in a must not lose game you want the senior manager to play a CB in midfield? I thought the senior team wasnt for developing players but all about results? If Kenny played Collins in midfield and we still lost he would have been slated.

Keane hasnt managed in 10 years and clearly cant manage modern players. Mick has failed in all the recent jobs and Kerr hasnt managed in 20 years. Putting the people in you suggest means we go back to employing failures as managers. We have to move on from the past at some stage!

So in your opinion the best midfielder we have in a centre half who hasnt played the position since he was 13 or 14? And people say Kenny supporters are deluded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

We haven’t consistently qualified for anything with pragmatic football.

88/90/94 we had some of the best players in England playing for us under a pressing game developed by Charlton

2002 we had an unbelievable team in Irish terms. Quality from back to front, nothing pragmatic about it.

2012 we did qualify by being defensively sound and pragmatic, it never developed and we were humiliated at the finals with I believe the joint worst record of any team in the euros

2016 was memorable but we finished third and got a play off - the least difficult route to a finals we’ll ever get.

I have no problem with a team being defensively minded and tough to beat, but that cannot be the end of it - we need to evolve from there, which previous managers wouldn’t do, we’d just hear that we’re limited and this is the only way we can play.

Irish football hasn’t been set back by Kenny, quite the opposite. There is a structure of youth to build on over the next couple of seasons for whoever comes in.

Well, if the executive are filled with the same type who thought appointing Kenny was a good idea... we're fucked.

I can't imagine Roy Keane possibly doing a worse job.

Maybe he would eventually fall out with people, but so what? Maybe he'll achieve something in the meantime... rather than hiring a nice guy who achieves nothing. Maybe that's part of the problem, this Ireland set up is possibly too nice... not enough hunger, not enough aggression and competitiveness. The standards have been allowed to slip, and we no longer expect to qualify for tournaments.

We know for sure, that someone like Roy Keane would not accept the same rubbish standards or results that Kenny is standing over. His professional pride wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland qualified for tournaments under Jack Charlton primarily because the team contained world class players relative to the standard of the time. He is the only manager pragmatic or not who Ireland has qualified for more than one tournament under. Referring to my previous post, I do not say the manager is immaterial. I say you need at least one world class player and then the manager can come up with the right game plan. Mick McCarthy had Robbie Keane, Roy Keane and Damien Duff as a trio to make things happen, plus a whole host of others playing in the top flight in England to support them. It's not rocket science to observe that Ireland's strongest periods as a team has been when it has had great players playing, first and foremost, along with a manager who can get the best out of them.

Trap was nothing if not pragmatic and got Ireland to one tournament out of 3 attempts. Not really consistent. O'Neill also criticised as too pragmatic, and his competitive record with Ireland records more failures than success. It's not that pragmatic football has been much more successful for Ireland. The periods of success, the periods of when Ireland looked like a side who could give anyone a game, have been when great players were involved.

To talk about the right manager without talking about the right players puts Ireland in the same situation its been in since its last clutch of great players began to wane. A manager can only do so much, here, and that limitation will always leave us with a glass ceiling and an endless debate between those calling for pragmatism and those calling for adventure.

“Keane hasn’t managed in 10 years”

”Keane would fall out with everyone around him”

He was Irish assistant manager as recently as 2018, as part of a productive 5 year run. No falling out with players or FAI officials were reported.

Suggesting it would be ‘grossly incompetent’ to give the job to a legendary ex player who has successfully been involved in a Senior Coaching setup already is mad stuff.

Kenny will be leaving and we will need to be pragmatic about who is available and willing to replace him.

Yes perhaps a manager who falls out with people in a environment where you can’t sell or buy players is what we really need

“no falling out of players were reported”….😂

• Advertisement

It would make less sense NOT to appoint Keane in my opinion. Given the scarcity of choices. Beggars can't be chooser's.

Plus the FAI are well past the point of being able to be embarrassed. The 'fall out' could be dealt with in one press conference - done. Then the media would be more interested in 'Roy's first line up' etc.

So we didn't achieve results with pragmatic football under Charlton? I don't care if he had some good players, the previous managers had good players too and couldn't get the results... Charlton got the results and did a great job for us.

Trapattoni also got results, and got us to tournaments. Even when we missed out in 2010, we went unbeaten in qualifying and got knocked out by the Henry handball. O'Neill also got important results and qualified for tournaments. People who didn't like the style of those managers, always seem to try and revise history and play down their achievements. But it's just lazy revisionism.

All this BS about "evolving" and "developing" etc etc... these are the buzz words used by bluffers who don't really understand the game very well or the true nature of top level competitive sports. The same sort of supporters who were tying themselves up in knots for the past 3 years, trying to convince everyone why it was so important to give Kenny time to "develop" something. Analytical types, who's greatest attribute is usually the ability to over-complicate everything and yet also routinely ignore blatantly obvious things.

I'm sick to the back teeth of listening to these types of fans over the last few years... people who think they're so much smarter than everyone else, because they can throw out fancy sounding ideas or buzz words. But in reality, they know next to nothing. As Roy Keane himself would say "bluffers"... our fanbase is full these types.

Yes perhaps the fai are so beyond the possibility of humiliation that when their manager starts calling people “pricks” and “****” it won’t actually be a major PR own goal

Damn straight

Exactly -

Does Roy Keane want the Ireland Job? That is an obvious = yes. He has said he wants to get back into management.

Is Roy Keane qualified and available to manage the Irish team = yes (I doubt Keane would ask for an exhobitant amount)

Also his high profile might mean that the FAI might get more high profile sponsors.

Feck sake, Argentina appointed Maradona! And Keane is far more qualified as a manager than Maradona was. Plus you also get the high profile - that means clicks, views, comments. crowds = money, And the FAI need money badly.

Dear god, go do a bit of research. Do you listen to second captains podcast? Theres litterally one of the falling outs as one of the audio beds!

He was assistant manager where players have openly said training was crap, there was no structure to training, didnt work on alot and the team was announced 90mins before kick off. If that doesnt scream "success" to you i dont know what will........

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement