Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Biodiversity strategy 2030

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Main concern is designation of land in terms of land use change that become rewetted. According to this new 'special protection' measures placed on these lands it will leave it even 10x more stringent than SPACs and SPA areas etc. Good luck to any landowner trying to get planning for a house etc on this land. This along with the asset value of this land being destroyed is my main gripe. Would people in D4 be happy if their assets were reduced by 80% over night

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

John “I hate farmers” gibbons on the last word this evening could justify the slashing/puncturing of tyres somewhere in Dublin cause these climate lovers are modern day suffragettes.Christ almighty this whole climate lunacy will soon eat itself alive.hope it’s soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ya hardly need a far reaching, widescale EU law that impacts many different aspects of society, especially rural, to sow more trees in cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

EPP were free to put in amendments and get them passed - not only did they not bother to do that but blocked reasonable proposals like the one I mentioned above. And yes such laws are necessary in Urban areas since issues with excessive heat and dust are significantly reduced by Tree canopies - despite that we have a continuing war on urban tree by many CCs in this country, you only have to see the damage Dublin CC did to O Connel Street by wiping out the famous avenue of London Planes there for no good reason. On the wider issue of EU policies in this area and others, I would be a critic of much of their agri and fisheries policies in particular over the last 40 years, but I think its fair to say that given the politics and deeply entrenched vested interests that control key policies in relevant areas in this state, we would have little or no environmental protection at all without EU legislation dragging this state to even acknowledge the value of clean water, biodiversity services, the right of the public to environmental justice etc.

• Advertisement

Like Eamon Ryan, he is more a hindrance then a help to advance issues like supporting farmers to adopt more sustainable farming practices etc. with his lazy broad brush approach to Irish farming ie. "all farmers and livestock are toxic for rural Ireland " 😠 which is obvious nonsense and not supported by the many NGO's etc. that work with many farmers in this area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Nothing like a good stern lecture from "Concerned in D4" to get people on board 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I think you missed my point. We don't need an EU law to tell cities to plant trees. That's totally in the remit of the local administration in the same way as they can take them down. The NRL covers a vast array of stuff and adding ammendments for city trees is just bolloxing quite frankly. Our own government declared a cimate emergency a few short years ago yet they can't tell councils to sow trees. In fact, I read yesterday that for the first time in the history f the state we don't have a forestry planting programme. Like, WTF. And on the other side there's countless applications sitting on department desks to manage existing forestry and nothing being done bout it. Yet the narrative is we support forestry. None of this is the fault of the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grassland catchment trending down.

Tillage catchment trending up.

But you will not hear the EPA headlining this. The first action is acknowledging. Non of this saving the world nonsense by getting the plough out. The second action is remedying it. Looks like the grassland catchment were pro active. From nearby looking at the Tillage catchment there's been no adjustment ever. It's fingers in ears and the best advice from teagasc is dig a hole to stop soil run off.

Think we are coming to similar conclusions but from different angles. I full agree that state agencies are wholly negligent and incompetent in this area, which is why I mentioned the need for strong EU law to compile rogue states like Ireland to comply with basic provisions of the likes of the Water Directive which Ireland still hasn't fully implemented despite it being in place for nearly 20 years. This is the reason there has been a long line of cases in this and similar areas concern judgements against Ireland by the ECJ and daily fines(latest one just today concerning over-fishing of certain species in Irish Estuaries). Its the same story in the forestry sector you mentioned, the EU has repeatedly warned Ireland that its forestry policies are not in line with a whole host of Directives concerning water quality, pesticide use, over reliance on non-native moncultures(disease issues) habitat and erosion damage etc. Despite having a so called Green in charge of the sector, the Forestry Department again failed to address most of these concerns in their latest submission to Brussels, which is now obviously holding things up all along the process.

PS: Just reading the other day that the state still hasn't put in place proper and enforced EU regulations for building products coming from quarries. Astonishing stuff given the ongoing Mica disaster around the country that is already set to cost tax payers many billions of Euros!!!😣

• Advertisement

We really need to follow the science, not just run after one idea, like rewetting.

Prof Katie Field University of Sheffield did this study

Prof Field hopes the work will lead to changes in environmental policy and towards managing land in a “fungi-friendly fashion”.

This would include encouraging farming practices that use fewer pesticides while preventing soil degradation.

It would not only allow fungal networks to grow in their own natural way but would also improve the fertility of the soil through boosting organic matter, she said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

His last quote addresses a major issue for modern farmerin systems.

Indeed, that's what Johnson-Su, KNF, etc ate all trying to encourage, unfortunately incompatible with the plough and modern industrial ag systems.

Yes, the plough mainly and the 'icides. But science can be used to focus on those too. It's just that some remedies and alternative ways of working may not be great sellers for industrial ag companies.

I'm afraid it's more than that. The acidic salt fertilisers have a very detrimental effect on soil microbiology and in particular fungal populations too, and even where soils are moderately healthy, these are bacterial dominated.

Such soils are then even more vulnerable to traffic and compaction, reducing the porosity and structure through which air and water move thus further damaging the earth and reducing biological function, especially fungal.

Slurry is not beneficial either and application in poor conditions and early spring exacerbate the ill-effects.

So most current field scale agricultural practices are incompatible with a healthy functioning fungal dominated soil population.

Slurry should be split, with the solids going to an AD plant. The residual can be spread. The ratio of bacteria : fungi depends on what's growing in the soil. Yes, we need major weaning from the Haber Bosch nitrogen. All the different components need to work together but we don't have the joined up thinking. Our Multi Species Sward mix calls for 55% perennial ryegrass (PRG). Any modern PRG varieties have been bred to require inorganic nitrogen.

Are you talking of dry AD with "split"(separated?) slurry?

Is there such systems working commercially or for micro-gen on farm systems? And are you suggesting that spreading remaining liquid fraction is more beneficial to soil microbes and fungi?

Yes, such systems are available, used more so in NI. I'll check I think they might be grant aided om organic farms here now. The liquid portion can be spread after grazing in the rotation. I think some have screw mechanisms others use a belt. This would also allow more storage

If you look at that scenario, just transporting the solids, not slurry, to an AD plant makes sense. Alternatively the solids could be composted.

Screw press slurry separator, is in Organic TAMS

Interesting, I hadn't cone across a dry AD plant before, I looked it up and whie acknowledged as possible, it doesn't seem to be under consideredtion for mainstream use according to this SEAI guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭alps

Your figure of dairy farms emitting 8.7tCO2 eq/ha is interesting.

The average dairy farm grows in excess of 10 tonnes of grass containing 4.4tonnes of carbon.

Seems to me it takes in excess of 16 tonnes of CO2 to grow 10 tonnes of grass.

@Jonnyc135 looks like your concerns with this thread were well founded. A serious bit of rail roading was taking place. Hopefully now it's arrested. Although watching our Irish politicians on RTE when asked about the motion most don't want to appear opposed to it as it's framed that you are opposed to nature. And well politics.

In no time has such power been tried to be wielded in such a short space of time and people are too woke now to question why.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

You must be a climate denier, you hate nature, you vote Trump, you steal lollypops from small children, you're killing all the insects off my windscreen, etc.

That's the usual stuff thrown at anyone who questions the latest brain-fart with zero sense or science behind it.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

It's the replacement religion.

The replacement for the fire and brimstone and eternal damnation.

A blind person can see that this is wrong.

It was wrong getting cows linked in with emission targets and setting a target of zero by 2050.

But this is the final nail in the coffin.

Power is being abused. And for what? Food imports by Portuguese business men from Brazil.

Absolute railroading and narratives being forced. It still has to go through the MEP parliament so even more concessions may be added.

Funny thing about all this is that farming or SME sectors cannot offset or play with the same rule book as the big multinationals that are running the EU with their woke (scam) ESG agenda

Anyone that tries to speak out against the mainstream narrative being pushed gets ridiculed. Take for example the Wuhan LAB leak theory for Covid, anyone who mentioned that it could be a leak from a virus gain of function lab in Wuhan was classed as a tin foil hat nutter.

US government report released yesterday states that the first 3 people in the world to get covid work in that Wuhan lab, the same lab funded by the US and probally EU for to investigate virus.

I'll be honest I have lost all trust in our governments at local and EU level as well as our mainstream media

I read a good article yesterday on how the EU are going to make a balls of themselves by screwing the rural people

Also, I seen a tweet that there was no money for nature and the funds have to come from CAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Hard to know if this is genuine or not but if it is, there's something odd going on...

https://makesunsets.com/pages/faq

• Advertisement

It is a Net Zero by 2050. We can do Net easy..

The trouble is the ravaging between now and 2030, combined with the risk of again being outmanouvered or blinsided on inventory setup in the run up to the pre 2030 negotiations.

Advertisement