Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

• Registered Users Posts: 82,455 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well that’s a sad indicator of the state of technology back home.

Russia seems real chickenshit of F-16s

I guess the west should assume every Sukhoi is carrying nukes too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

I mention Granard because it is a small village and so is Staromaiorsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

You're either young or not Irish if you've never heard of Granard. Was in the news for all the wrong reasons in the mid 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

Seemingly they had 6000 at the beginning. They lost 4000 so they have 2000 left and the UA are destroying/capturing 70 to 100 per week. Do the math...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

Or for that matter why not pick Lixnaw - it is much more widely known and is approx three times the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,507 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A couple of pages 1-2 pro Russian posters were saying if the UA numbers were fairly right the Russians would be running out of tanks Oops

😂😂😂😂

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

Best analysis on what peace negotiations means to Russia and puts an end to the idea that “we must negotiate to end the war” sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Peace talks 🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah this was weird. Reuters claims to have witnessed the South African delegation going to an air-raid shelter during the time of the missile attack.

This was their spokesman subsequently tweeting. Note the additional context underneath his tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭ForestFire

That would be "young" then it seems..... although I wouldn't exactly use that nowadays...

Anyway was only meant to be a bit of light hearted comment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

I have come to the conclusion that the offensive is not working. Or, if it works, it will come and an unacceptable cost to Ukraine. The days of tanks rolling across fields is gone. If this war has taught us anything it is that assaults of this kind are not worth it. The ATGM has ended this kind of conflict. Already the conflict has reverted to attrition or 'accelerated attrition' as someone called it.

What should they do about this? I think that rather than using tanks, mainly, they should use artillery. They need to hit the Russians so hard they will be forced to retreat. For this the west needs to increase artillery production dramatically. Cheaper than F16s though. The Russians need to experience unacceptable losses until they retreat. Then the Ukrainians can move on to the next target. This worked for the Russians so it should work even better for the Ukrainians with precision artillery, fragmentation shells etc. That's my penny's worth. I hope I'm wrong and the Ukrainians have resounding success but I have my doubts.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

The offensive is nine days old. I don't know if the offensive will work or if it won't work, but it won't be us getting only a trickle of news and propaganda from the front line who will be able to make a call on whether it should end or continue. We'll only be able to really review the decision, either way, in retrospect.

It took 2 months for the Kherson offensive to conclude. We'll see what Ukraine is saying in a month's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If Ukraine was making serious inroads they'd rightly be trumpeting it for it's public relations value. They aren't because there hasn't been any significant advance by Ukraine. How many more days can they keep talking about the grand total of around 2 km in some places? They need a bigger result soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The Russians were taking for months about gains in single digit meters

I don't know that the Ukrainians are in any time crunch here whatsoever though. I too have seen reports the Ukraine push is stymied by classic Russian Artillery, and I have seen where they tooted their horns when villages were behind the new lines. But I don't see any time crunch for them, it's Russians running out of munitions, tanks, troops (at a rate faster than Ukrainians), and morale. Ukrainians are flying home to Ukraine to fight in the war to follow their President, 'I need bullets, not a ride'; Russians are fleeing the country to avoid conscription. No there's only 2 real time crunches: the 2024 United States Presidential Election, and the limit of Russia's patience with Vladimir Putin. Ukrainians meanwhile will have generational levels of motivation, rivaling that of Israel or Palestine, to keep fighting this war until every inch of Ukraine is free. And core NATO countries (USA, Germany, France, Poland, etc) have pledged ongoing support, nobody is asking for a deadline.

https://americanindependent.com/republicans-congress-celebrated-fourth-of-july-russia/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ukraine has taken more land back in the past 10 days as the Russians have taken this year.

And you want to replicate Russian mass artillery tactics? That's not going to work unless Ukraine are ok with shelling towns and cities to dust like the Russians have been doing.

100 square km liberated in 10 days with 30% armed forces committed. If it was working, what figures would you be expecting? You obviously have some wee equation for success vs failure.

• Advertisement

Yet another youtuber cover on the Battle of Kyiv just out

I don't blame them of course it should be widely disseminated and understood

Mostly around Bakhmut, which was the only place Russia seemed to be advancing in any way.

Interestingly, you had the usual realists talking about how the strategic importance of Bakhmut was played down. Well, Russia now control the town of Bakhmut (or that is the collection of blackened edifices which used to comprise it) and they've not moved an inch past it. So much for its strategic importance for Russia after all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I professionally disagree with almost everything in this post. The days of tanks rolling across fields was gone once the Germans in 1917 figured out how to use artillery and armor piercing ammunition. The days of tanks rolling across fields was gone once Israeli tanks hit a wall of ATGMs in Sinai in 1973. That the most important factor in warfare was artillery was the premise behind the French Army's doctrine of La Bataille Conduite from 1918 through 1940.

Artillery is supremely important in modern warfare, yes. Without integrated fires, the maneuver elements couldn't function. But maneuver is still the most important factor. The US Army considers armor to be "The combat arm of decision" as only maneuver can unbalance the enemy, and only armor (including IFV infantry) can do it fast enough. It is also far more efficient. A tank round is normally aimed at a point target with the expectation of a hit. Artillery requires a lot of rounds to be fired for its effects, and supply chains are a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

100 square km over a 1500km front pretty much a very small gain ,be different if it was 100 km.s per day or week even,but we saw today more Bradley and leopards lost the same field as the last batch back on the 8th so they seem to be having some issues going forward,

But we have to remember this is a marathon not a 200m Sprint,it could take months to see any real gains and Big objectives secured

Can we cut it out with the orc **** though.

I don't hate the Russian people, I hate to see what they've become, wish them all well, I think they have the power to stop this and I want them to embrace love and peace ultimately. That's not going to happen if we dehumanize them and but up such walls between us. They'll never pull the wool off of their eyes from Putin's regime like that, and the war cycle will prolong.

I don't hate the ordinary Russian people either, but the 'orc' slur is usually directed at their soldiers operating in Ukraine. The soldiers participating in the Bucha massacre or pounding Mariupol into dust may be human, but they're behaving with the utmost brutality, in a base and bestial way, without regard for the suffering of ordinary civilians. In their case, 'orc' is a suitable word.

If they want people to cut out the orc talk, the door out of Ukraine is thattaway ===>>>.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's Ukraine that needs to gain the initiative. There is always a time constraint. They need to keep this war at the top of western news and political agendas to maintain public support and awareness and keep the aid flowing at it's current level. Success is the best way of doing that. Their partners need to know it's not a lost cause if they are to take bigger risks supporting them.

The Russians seem content to defend what they have and they've made no effort to break out of the occupied zones.

The 2024 election is only critical if you genuinely believe Trump can win. I don't so I don't see it as as critical as it might have been. If he did win it would be a disaster for everyone but Ukraine would be at the top of that list.

It doesn't matter which Republican wins in that scenario, the Republican party will kowtow to Russia.

The war is already at the top of western news. Money is still pouring in for the war. They are seizing hundreds of billions of dollars of russian assets. Materiel is still being actively delivered. Pilots are engaging in F-16 training. F-16s are planned on the way. The war from the Ukrainian side, is heating up, not cooling off. Russians are tearing up microwaves for computer chips.

Again, nothing is projected to change about this for at least the next 18 months, does Russia have 18 months of artillery? How much was traded for vodka?

@Kermit.de.frog

The Russians seem content to defend what they have and they've made no effort to break out of the occupied zones.

They've made no effort to break out of the occupied zones? They tried to launch a winter offensive and Wagner got thousands upon thousands of men slaughtered just to try and take one town. Aon - ein - uno. It's just that their actual battlefield capability does not match their ambitions. They're not content with what they have, but they have to act like they are in order to save some political face. Last year, we witnessed Vladimir Putin proudly announce the annexation of oblasts Russia never even fully controlled, and now control even less of than they did then. Oh, yeah - I bet they feel really contented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

Would be great if it was true, but in the article there's no mention of Shoigu saying that.. or least I can't see it. He said they need to build more tanks, which sounds like something you'd say when visiting a tank factory.

Also, whatever Shoigu or Putin say about the war, there's a 100% chance they're lying.

I think one thing about Russian tanks is a fact - they're losing many more than they can replace. But how many do they have left? I have no idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement