Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google/Nest wifi points & Eir FTTH

Options
  • 16-06-2023 10:08am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this covered elsewhere but couldn't find when I had a look and did a search.

Recently switched from Virgin to Eir fibre broadband. When we had Virgin I switched the Virgin router to modem mode (I think is the term) basically to stop the nest and virgin router flighting with each other.

At the moment the eir signal seems stronger than the nest one so seems we are no longer getting the benefit of the nest booster upstairs and out back.

Is there anything similar to what I did with the virgin router that I need to do for eir?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It seam you mixing two things:

ISP device operation mode vs WiFi signal strength.

Setting ISP device in desired mode does not effect WiFi signal strength on nest , it might cause interference between two WiFi and effect speed.

Benefit of nest (or any other mesh) would be that WiFi is controlled by same system and system determine when signal to weak from one AP and switch (handover) your device to stronger AP without interruption.

Even if you have set same SSID/pass on two different "systems" (nest vs ISP) , your mobile device have to disconnect from one and then connect to another AP, there is no smooth handover - brief connection dropout will occur.

Once connected to ISP WiFi, connection switchover is determined by your mobile device and not by WiFi system, it will try to maintain connection as long as possible even if speed degrade, latest mobile devices are not bad at it, but still drop/connect

Setting ISP device to bridge (modem) mode disable several functions on device including NAT, firewall, DHCP, WiFi. These functions will have to be taken care by other device(s), nest in your case

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks, so I'm layman's terms how do I set the Eir box to bridge mode?

Once we did that to the Virgin box, the nest worked seamlessly, think we have interference with the two as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

You have FTTH so you could in theory bypass the Eir modem entirely and plug the Nest directly into the wall if the Nest supports VLAN tagging.

Thanks, no idea if it does.

Will try to see if I can find out online if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

If that doesn't work google your eir device model and it's homepage to access the settings and you might be able to change to modem mode there. If not available as an option you may have to call them. With VM you need to call to switch it.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Yeah I rang VM and they seny me instructions on how to do it.

They are pushing their own mesh system, €99....just want to use the Google/nest of wr can given we've paid for that.

Advertisement