Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

isn’t this always the case when the elite main event? They genuinely don’t seem like a draw to the casual viewer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Omega/Ospreay has to be the main event for FD ?

The chances of this match overshadowing everything else are very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

The CM Punk - ESPN article is up.

Honestly, think Punk comes off pretty level headed here.

Here are what will most likely be picked up on by the outlets:

• Felt he had a good relationship with the Elite before including making sure he didn't do the same spots as Omega and checking up on Hangman when he had COVID.
    • Highlights that Hangman's 'workers rights' comment set him off as they hadn't agreed to it beforehand.
    • Reiterates that he had nothing to do with Cabana not being on TV.
    • Punk saying he was worried that Hangman might shoot on him and didn't rate their match as a result. Mentions that he gets chopped in the mouth by Page at one point and it chipped his tooth and he was unsure if it was intentional or not.
    • That he felt nothing was done by AEW to remedy the brewing tension between himself and the Elite and he had to take it into his own hands.
    • That he regrets his actions at the press conference and that it was the wrong way to handle it.
    • Has tried reaching out to the Bucks and Omega but anytime he has he's been contacted by lawyers although it is unclear whether this is at the request of their legal representation or a third party. No one contacted for the article responded.
    • Also states he's open to a powwow with everybody on it but that it hasn't happened yet and not due to lack of trying on his part.
    • Thinks the "brawl" (can't legally discuss it) but that it isn't that big a deal and happens in other sports but has been made clear to him that this will not be used for an angle of any sort.
    • Feels that his being out with injury following the drama has exacerbated things and blown things out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was a nothing interview with Punk,

The click sites got the clicks they wanted anyway form there OMG Punk has gone and done it again posts.

Her is the interiew none of them had actually read yesterday when they were posting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Bland stuff. This irks me though...

Has tried reaching out to the Bucks and Omega but anytime he has he's been contacted by lawyers although it is unclear whether this is at the request of their legal representation or a third party. No one contacted for the article responded.

Also states he's open to a powwow with everybody on it but that it hasn't happened yet and not due to lack of trying on his part.

Making it seem like he's the magnanimous one. He's a prick of a person and they're under no obligation to have a sit down with him just so he can look good again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Having dealt with an abusive narcist growing up, that whole bit is massively familiar. 😂

I think Wade Keller deserves that cause he posted a vague comment about 'something hitting the media that won't help matters'.

Fightful just said that Punk was asked about Hangman, said he made it clear he didn't like Page and thought he was shooting on him. Which is all pretty accurate. There's some online (and I have no idea where the basis for this comes from) that AEW's legal team got some things removed. Not sure why you posted the interview after I had posted it already but I digress.

Personally, I'm half-sympathetic to Punk on this. He acted like a prick and he's a bit of a clown in general but when all is said and done what Hangman said was fairly unprofessional, it seems likely that the story of Cabana being fired cause of Punk was fed by the Elite to the media and Tony Khan and Talent Relations did nothing to defuse the situation even when it was clear there was tension between all involved. There was unprofessionalism from all involved but it seems only Punk is being scolded, obviously Punk has form for being a diva but all the same, nobody came of smelling like roses here.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nice to see Kevin Kelly back on US TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can I say what bloody brilliant Dynamite show and just reminds me why I love this promotion.

• Advertisement

I’d guess part of it though is only one side is continually mouthing off in the press, and one is taking a more dignified silence. If the Elite were constantly running their mouth, they’d probably be getting more flak too.

Punk probably does have legit grievances with the Elite lads, and I’m not saying they are angels. But from a pure professionalism point of view, you can only criticise them for the possibility they leaked stuff to Meltzer, and a one sided thought (from a less than reliable narrator) that Paige legit chopped him and dropped a line (probably in a heavily improv’d promo) that Punk didn’t like.

For me, and I say this as someone who is a fan of Punk as a wrestler, the lad just can’t seem to keep his mouth shut professionally. This interview does nothing but stir up **** again. If the Elite are staying quiet, refusing to comment and so on, he could do the same and do what’s best for the company. If no angle is going to come from this, this is just Punk putting himself ahead of AEW.

A normal person would move on, accept him and the Elite aren’t going to get on or work together, but there’s dozens of other wrestlers he can work with and create a positive environment with. Instead, he’s outright looking to cause trouble and tension.

Yeah that's fair.

I definitely do feel that the Elite are speaking through the media a lot though and if I was Punk in that situation I could imagine how frustrating it could be especially when management are doing nothing about it.

Not sure I believe the chop story so much but I do wonder about that improved line cause that's often been said to be the straw that broke the camel's back, I wasn't a fan of the line already though so maybe that's my own bias.

And you're right he probably should move on, I reckon he is desperately trying to change the narrative perhaps or maybe he knows that the situation that awaits him is unsustainable and hoping he can ease tension, although he's more likely trying to shift any blame.

The chop apparently in question. Like, he does hit him in the jaw, but I don’t think it’s a deliberate attempt to hurt punk. Think it was just a slip shot that was a bit high.

As far as the Cabana stuff, without hearing the other side of the story, it’s hard to judge for me. There’s part of me thinks the silence is a response; that the reason management don’t shut it down harder is because they don’t agree with his version of events. I don’t think he nessecarily said “you need to fire Cabana”, but I can certainly see a situation where Punk communicated he wouldn’t be able to work near or with Cabana, and Cabana got cut to avoid tension (in the same way Punk and the Elite are being kept separated, apparently, now). Punk holds grudges, and voices them publicly, but that doesn’t mean anyone else is obligated to respond publicly to defend him and his version of events.

It's a pretty ugly chop but agree, don't think it was intentional. Hangman has been accused of being stiff in the ring before (not intentionally) so maybe that could be part of the mscommunication.

As for the Cabana stuff, I think management more should have got involved regarding Hangman's comment. Had that been a.ddressed maybe things would have been nipped in the bud quickly. In general it seems like talent relations in AEW doesn't always act as quickly as they should. I could absolutely see a situation where Tony moved Colt as he figured there would be trouble as well. Not that he's used Colt in a meaningful way before or since anyway.

Samoa Joe with an interview in Sports Illustrated for Collision pretty much nails it.

The real drama is being committed by fans and click sites picking sides driving it on social media for various reasons.

Asked to share his perspective on the rivalry between Punk and The Elite’s Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks, Joe did not mince words, especially when asked whether their perceived problems stemmed from a generational gap.

“This isn’t a divide, it’s an argument between men,” says Joe. “All those dudes don’t represent the entire genre of their generation. They have their own issues and their own problems. I don’t think it’s that deep. They’re grown-ass men. They have disagreements, they can figure it out or not. That’s between them.”

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Elton John's - Saturday Nights alright for fighting is the theme song for Collison. I might be shot for saying this but the Nickelback/Kid Rock version would be more suited for wrestling?

Absolutely adore it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is the reported plan of a brand split still happening? Like all these guys fighting tonight won't be on the other shows again? Then I see the likes of Bryan and MJF in the intro which itself seems focussed on Punk, then the others that are on the first episode followed by glimpses of others from the company. At first I thought it was just a promo video for the first episode seeing who was in it.

That backstage bit between Kris and Taya was very awkward.

Aubrey leaving Daddy Briscoe hanging at the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

No, Khan put the kibosh in a hard brand split in interviews during the week. It's a soft split to keep the various divas happy.

• Advertisement

I really hope Jim Ross doesn't mess up the chemistry between Kevin & Nigel.

Takeshita vs Bandido was a fun main event on Rampage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Elton John and Pro Wrestling

That's a pairing I'd never put together

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I figured it would just be the fashion sense that would make the jump.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

JR should have retired years ago, especially after he started the creepy stuff on Twitter

A random though today that Hangman fucked over AEW and Tony Khan twice.

First on his babyface run to the title he decided to take time off that killed a near year long build for him to become World Champ that killed that story and cost the company true momentum

Second he went into business for himself that helped kill the second summer of Punk which lead to another huge lose of momentum for the company and killed off so many on going storylines that effected a lot of the roster.

Anyone notice the NO popping on the screen during the show

I wonder what's that about

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jep, I think the first one was worse personally, that was one of their best storylines/arcs and it ended with such a whimper, I don't think he's ever recovered from it himself either. Like he's a top face yes but he doesnt feel like a superstar like Kenny

The second one he wasn't well he might have started it but he only had a small part to play in the end

I wonder should we expect a surprise or two tonight.

• Advertisement

Trying to think of what surprises there could even be.

Kenta shows up to confront Punk?

Mercedes if her injury isn't as bad as expected.

Chris Hero?

Not even sure of what free agents are around right now.

Advertisement