Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

That is not a correction. I said she WAS a Protestant (past tense). That would make her suspect in IRA eyes

You are spinning again francie. There are no unionist MPs in 2023 going to commemorations of any individuals whose Clain to fame is killing Catholics. There is no equal in our community. They would not get votes

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good BBC discussion here on the economies both sides of the border and the changes that would be needed in a UI:

Red Lines - United Ireland: For richer or poorer?

Better life expectancy figures for those living south of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The BA killed 32 children who were all Catholics, do Unionists go to commemorations of the BA?

Did Unionist politicians support Hutchins and Cleary?

Do Unionist politicians routinely meet and seek the opinion of still active paramilitaries as stakeholders?

Have Unionist politicians even begun to apologise for what they orchestrated and the paramilitary groups they began and were involved in?

Have Unionists politicians ever made a single conciliatory gesture on an island where they refuse to admit they were born?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

What exactly is Soldier F famed for?

She was a Protestant until she wasn't. I'm not for a second defending what happened to Jean McConville, but the reason she was targeted absolutely wasn't because she used to be a Protestant.

You also totally neglect to acknowledge the other inaccuracy in your post, which incorrectly stated the Provos never accepted responsibility; they did.

You also blatantly dodged the fact she was living in Divis because Loyalists ran her out.

• Advertisement

if I recall I said she was targeted because she helped a soldier - something all but the most evil physcopaths would do. So again we can see we were all legitimate targets.

I copied and pasted a quote from a paper. Maybe it was before this Ira admission. Could you give us a link to the Ira admission??

You said, "Are they sorry for taking Jean McConville away and murdering her or are they not sorry because she was a protestant and put a young dying soldiers head on a towel?" You followed this up with, "That is not a correction. I said she WAS a Protestant (past tense). That would make her suspect in IRA eyes".

You're very clearly suggesting that her Protestantism was the reason she was targeted, despite the fact that at the time she was murdered she was a Catholic.

You've also continuously dodged acknowledging that the reason she was living in Divis Flats was because she was run out of her former residence by Loyalists BECAUSE SHE MARRIED A CATHOLIC.

I'm wary of getting too much deeper into this Downcow, lest it appear that by correcting you I am in any way defending or justifying what happened to Jean McConville, but the reason the PIRA say they targeted her was neither because she was a Protestant nor because she put a towel under the head of a dying soldier. They targeted her as they suspected she was passing information to British soldiers. It doesn't make what happened OK, but it certainly isn't the same as what you have suggested.

The IRA admitted in 1999 that it murdered nine of the Disappeared - including Jean McConville - and buried them at secret locations.

What happened to Jean McConville was unequivocally wrong, entirely unjustifiable and morally bankrupt, but it was absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she was formerly a Protestant.

I was asking wat all contributed to her murder. Her family are in no doubt that the allegations surfacing decades after her murder about her passing info to army is absolutely untrue and simply them trying to justify the unjustifiable.

now you have tried to exaggerate what I was saying about her being a prod. The Ira hated anyone living in ‘their areas’ who they could not trust. She was a blow in from Protestant east Belfast. She had family connections in the security forces. They couldn’t trust her. She then helped a dying soldier - possibly due to her naïveté from being reared a prod in east Belfast, where that is obviously what you would do.

I didn’t claim, and I am unsure, whether her background had anything to do with her murder.

I am not sure how many women the IRA took away and murdered, but I can’t think of another one - so it is, at the least, a huge coincidence if tens of thousands of catholic reared women lived in west Belfast and they selected one of a minuscule number of Protestant reared women for probably their most horrific and public execution of a mother.

so I was asking legitimate questions, but you want to just accept the IRAs story as gospel, and that’s up to you.

Remember it was Gerry who wasn’t in the IRA who didn’t organise this killing!

edit - just reading your link now. Remarkable that you are prepared to accept a cock and bull story about her informing when even the police umbudsman says it was not true “Others claimed she was an informer, but this was dismissed after an official investigation by the Northern Ireland Police Ombudsman.”

Its also interesting that you seem to think that her background would be an unusual reason for the Ira to kill someone!

All 16 of The Disappeared were Catholic, so no I don't buy your attempts to connect it to her Protestant rearing, particularly given that she had a son who was in the IRA (and later INLA).

I have no idea if she was or wasn't an informer, I've no personal knowledge on the topic. The only connecting factors between The Disappeared is that they were all Catholic and those that the IRA have claimed responsibility for they state that they suspected them of being informers.

The Police Ombudsman investigation didn't state that she wasn't an informer (how could it?!), but rather that they could find no evidence for the rumours, but what is clear from the Ombudsman investigation is that true or not, there were certainly wide spread rumours that she was informing. It is entirely possible to believe that the Ombudsman could find no evidence beyond rumours that she actually was an informer, while also thinking that she was killed because the IRA believed that she was.

Details aside, trying to turn the disappearance of 16 Catholics into a Protestant victim story is a stretch, even with your perpetual victim complex......particularly when you repeatedly avoid addressing the fact that she was living in Divis Flats because of Loyalists intimidation at her previous address.

I was at a series of talks organised by our brilliant county museum this morning

One of the speakers was talking about the displacement of people along the border. He made the point that there was a lot of exaggeration that had grown legs and which became part of the ongoing narrative of victimhood.

He heavily researched two particular cases, that of Jim Allister's(TUV) family, who come from Monaghan originally and the family of Ernest Baird (Ulster Vanguard) in Donegal, he could find no evidence at all for their claims of being 'run out or burned out of their homes south of the new border.

To have been burned out or run out (and some undeniably were) was a badge of honour among northern Unionists so it is easy to see why stories grew legs, he said.

The same thing happens with these few unfortunate and tragic victims, deliberately trotted out and exploited because they can be made to fit a certain narrative.

As you say Fionn the strong likelihood is that she was suspected of being an informer and was given the same treatment other informers got. Her death and disappearance makes no sense otherwise. It was a time of particular chaos and paranoia, nobody trusted anyone. It doesn't condone it, it was fundamentally wrong as was all the violence.

• Advertisement

What a disgusting position for a speaker to take. I also attended an event at which a speaker give us a 10 min intro to a full talk he will be doing. I felt almost physically sick during this brief 10 mins. For anyone to suggest that it was exaggerated is disgusting. But here you go dragging us into this tit for tat again

What’s disgusting about researching to find the truth about something?

Mythmaking obscures the truth. It should always be challenged by facts.

The truth according to those who are embarrassed about IRA sectarianism

Facts downcow.

There are none to support the stories of some people. Allister and Baird in these particular instances.

Mythmaking doesn’t just affect Unionism, nobody is saying that.

I’m interested in truth, not just on my own side but on all sides.

You seem interested in holding on to your myths like the one you believed about the teaching of Irish, or about some victims and now about Allister and Baird.

Dr Edward Burke, the speaker, is the pre-eminent scholar on the period and the border. He is publishing a book shortly you might be interested in - ‘Loyalists in Ulster’s ‘Lost Counties’ and Legacies of 1922’. He was allowed access to the archives of the Ulster Special Constabulary (A, B, & C Specials) for it. Sounds fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Irish History

The artificial partition of Ireland has cost more than reunification ever will.

A temporary hit to reunify our people, our country, and to end England's centuries old demonic occupation in Ireland is a price patriotic Irish people are more than willing to pay. Has anyone ever seen a poll/survey that suggested otherwise???

If we can pay for the parasitic banks and covid 19 - we sure as hell can pay to restore the territorial integrity of our country and end the national shame of partition and and humiliation of the continuing occupation of England in Ireland.

Post edited by Irish History on

That was when the State rightfully claimed all of Ireland as the National territory.

The fact is and the reality is, that the 'Southern Ireland' State is obviously not Ireland - it is merely in Ireland, and it should not be erroneously calling itself Ireland, and lying that Ireland regained it freedom. If idiots are misled to believe Ireland already regained its freedom - how is Ireland actually and in reality going to regain its freedom?

I would go so far as to say, and I include the plebs in Leinster House in this (the same plebs who call the 26 county Southern Ireland 'House of Commons' by the name of the 32 county Dail Eireann), that anyone who refers to Ireland who intentionally excludes counties Derry, Down, Armagh, Antrim. Fermanagh and Tyrone, is a traitor to Ireland.

As for the foreign ethnic British Unionists (what they call themselves in census) objecting to anything in Ireland - we should not be pandering to their B.S. Pandering to Unionists B.S, is why Ireland is artificially partitioned in the first instance.

Yeah I watched that debate on the View - very good. And it did not even go into the benefits for Ireland as a whole after reunification.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001myw7/the-view-15062023

People need to stop attempting to rehash the same old fallacious argument that Ireland as a whole can not afford to reunite. The Irish Government says we can - and Ireland north and south, will be better off as a result.

So-called Dail Eireann have been working on elements of a reunification paper through its 'Joint Committee on the Implementation of the Good Friday Agreement'. They produced a paper called 'Uniting Ireland & its People in Peace & Prosperity.

http://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/joint_committee_on_the_implementation_of_the_good_friday_agreement/reports/2017/2017-08-02_brexit-and-the-future-of-ireland-uniting-ireland-and-its-people-in-peace-and-prosperity_en.pdf

Tit for tat says your one who tries to turn a story about 16 Catholic victims into a Protestant pity tale, and still refuses to make a single comment about how Loyalists ran Jean McConville out of where she was living.

Disgusting indeed.

How can native Irish people be sectarian in our own native country???

Sectarianism has been defined as the existence within a locality of two or more divided and actively competing communal identities. 

But there is no equivalency between native Irish people in out own country and foreign ethnic British Unionists. 

Would you call British people in Jersey under German occupation sectarian?

Foreign ethnic British Unionists are the cause of the artificial partition of Ireland on the basis of a sectarian headcount.

The irony today in the occupied 6 counties is that the foreign ethnic British Unionists (as they describe themselves in census) are now only a majority in 2 (TWO) of the 6 occupied counties of Ireland - meaning 30 of the 32 counties of Ireland have a majority of native Irish people. 

So why are Irish people still being denied real democracy and self-determination in our own country in this day and age???

Britain needs to leave Ireland once and for all - we native Irish people do not want Britain interfering in the affairs of Ireland - we NEVER did. 

• Advertisement

Firstly I wasn’t aware you were talking about the 20s. I know little of that period. I thought you were suggesting that border Protestants had exaggerated what was done to them since ‘69. I apologise for misunderstanding your post.

No you are trying to spin what I said. I stand by my belief that someone reared as a Protestant in east Belfast who married a catholic soldier. Soldier then dies and this person has still contact with her family which contains RUC officers. And you are telling me that she would be trusted and regarded the same as wee Bernie living in the flat above? Catch yourself on.

I don't think Fionn told you that at all. I think you spun it to make it seem like he said that.

If you are correct and he is accepting that she would be regarded differently by the Ira due to her prod upbringing, then I misunderstood him and I apologise

Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Agnostic, Athetist would be regarded differently if they had RUC family members. A bit like if you had IRA family members and lived among Unionists. That is just the reality.

What great reveal is this downcow? The RUC connection was the issue not her religion.

If they didn't trust her, like many others she'd have been made leave, just as her own made her leave when she took up with a Catholic, which was overtly sectarian.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This thread is titled 'Cost of a UI and the GFA. The reader would not think so given the recent few pages of posts.

Now the discussion over many pages and not many posters is all about the past atrocities committed by various nasty sectarian actors, nearly all the atrocities happened pre-GFA.

Can this thread get back to the future?

If there was a UI, how much would it cost the economy North and South? Who do we expect to cough up for it, and for how long can we expect to need assistance in funding it. Would we need it at all?

As much as the financials, this is a problem we would absolutely have to address should Unification be on the cards (really it is a problem that needs to be addressed either way).

As much progress has been made in NI since the GFA, we're pretty damn poor at moving on broadly speaking. I include myself there, lest I be accused of hypocrisy.

There has been progress and changing attitudes over the last 25 years, but some of the wounds are deep and take a long time to heal.

Agree completely with both Sam and fionn last posts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I get that. A lot of people have been damaged on all sides by unspeakable actions, but that is covered in other threads.

The way to solve a big problem is to try to divide it into smaller problems and maybe one of those smaller problems might have a solution. With that small problem solved, the big problem is now smaller.

Take our health system, if the hospitals could switch to 7 day working rather than 5 day working, there would immediately be an increase in capacity, but not 40%. It would need more staff, but they can be hired quicker than new hospitals take to build.

A&E is another area that needs solving, and it begs for an approach that divides it into smaller problems. Better procedures would help, and not filling the place with patients on trollies would also help.

The potential cost of a UI could be dealt with by the UK Gov saying that any transition to a UI, if the people voted for it, would not be found having to suffer from a rapid withdrawal of UK funding. Maybe the EU could also show willing. One can dream of course.

But trying to throw mud at the other sectarian side over past atrocities is not going to further the issue of the cost of a UI. It is like a county side digging up past matches and the diabolical fouls not given by the ref that denied them glory - instead of training hard to find new glory - and make this year the year of All Ireland glory.

We should all be striving for All Ireland glory.

• Advertisement

I'm a Fermanagh native, talking about glory in the All Ireland is highly insensitive!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement