Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

from my viewpoint, most do. But that doesn’t mean most do, that’s just the people I know, who are more likely to have a similar preference to me. I would say the same applies for you. My sis worked in a hotel in a small town up North and got great tips. Definitely think it’s person dependent not location dependent.

Found my husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

I never see or hear anyone that I know of doing it either. Like there's no service charge or tip option on the bill as its not promoted around these parts. As I mentioned before the most I've come across is a jar labelled tips on the counter in a chipper. If this was a person dependent thing I would of surely known/seen it by now. This is why I'm thinking it must be a city or very fancy restaurant/hotel idea. Different worlds.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Is it not just a posh restaurant thing? How does it even work if you're paying by card?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,852 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Well never mind the tipping lads at least you should be happy knowing I split the bill 😅 Usually the guy will pay and I just pay the next time so it’s all even.

• Advertisement

I think the only time I didn’t offer to split the bill was when this guy chose a really expensive restaurant and the food was pricey enough but then the bottle of wine he selected was 180. I knew he would have insisted on paying anyway, but it was the only time I didn’t offer.

That's fine with me. I will pay for the meal in Burger King and then you can pay for the meal in the posh restaurant. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Something like that would make me extremely uncomfortable even though it shouldn't. It'd make me feel like they were looking for something in return.

I would think that if it was a regular income person, but he was very wealthy so it was nothing to him. He was a nice guy but I prefer not to date with too much of an income difference in either direction.

Post edited by YellowLead on

I presume you've been outside of your hometown, and been in Dublin before, so if it was location-specific you'd have seen it if you were going to notice it. You just haven't. It's person-specific because it depends on the person and how they feel about tipping. People can travel, places can't move.😅

It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong by not tipping, it's a personal preference. But to say it doesn't exist country-wide is simply untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I always tip. I think if you don’t see it written on the bill that it includes gratuity then you ask.

I've been on both sides of this. There's usually a way of balancing it out if it turns into a relationship. For example one person might be able to cover more things financially whereas the other person contributes in other ways. My general rule would be if the person who earns more wants to do something the other person can't afford or wouldn't usually do, the higher earner should cover it. Same with like if a couple were moving in together, if the higher earner wanted a nicer place then they'd cover the difference required to get that.

Totally get that. I’m just not really comfortable if it’s not 50/50, be nice to get over that lol - but at the same time I wouldn’t be paying more for somebody else if they can’t afford the things I can. It’s just easier for me if the difference isn’t crazy vast. Can see it working for other people - eg one at home cooking and cleaning while the other works etc, but not for me personally.

Plus if you're someone who is already financially secure and independent to begin with, does it really matter what the other person's income is? Assuming they're not broke and leeching off you of course.

Yeah I get that. I'm definitely more comfortable being the person paying more, like sometimes I'd just pay myself to avoid the awkwardness of splitting it - regardless of income split. In a prev relationship he earned less so I'd often cover stuff but he did other things, like he was a chef so he'd do most of the meals and buy food stuff, and it worked out fine. I think that worked because he understood the value of things he brought to the relationship. I don't think it would work if the person felt in some way indebted.

I dated someone a lot older when I was in my early 20s who of course earned a lot more than me, and he never let me pay for anything which always made me uncomfortable because I wanted to pay at least some of the time, it made me feel a bit lesser-than. So I think it's important the person doesn't feel that way.

SO aside from tipping, anyone got any OD chats going or potential meet ups?

I really haven’t been bothering with it the past few months in terms of putting in any effort, going to swipe / message more this week and see if I come across anyone/can plan anything. Might get a plus one for the meet up 🤣

My only panned thing is that singles hike this coming Saturday. And date 2 with French guy on the horizon. Can’t face the effort of swiping for a few more days. I did join a tennis club last year to meet more people in person, but it was mainly women in my group 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Nope - very dull date wise. Getting by on exchanging NSFW innuendos with consenting colleagues.

A few weeks ago I deleted all the apps as I needed a break and needed to focus on work. I set a deadline for the end of June to go back on them and see if I could have a couple of summer dates at least. But tbh I’m not particularly loving the thought of it. So we’ll see. Might not bother. I need some new pics as well. Effort of that !

I haven't heard back from the Kilkenny woman after I suggested a date. I've since been chatting to a fine looking woman from Galway. These fecking long distances. I don't think I've ever matched with anyone in my own county. Interestingly enough, the Galway woman told me that all the best single men are in Kildare.

• Advertisement

This is my first time going so I shall report back 😂

If you live in Kildare you should have access to the Dublin market. But I know long distance isn’t an issue for many.

Why is it stupid? Plenty of nice gentlemen like myself here in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I have a few matches but i haven't messaged because as i said it gets tiring. I wish more women would message first though! 😜

With regards to long distances, I suppose it wouldn't be a huge issue for a first date. So for example I could meet the Galway woman in Athlone. It's halfway, just over an hours drive. It would be difficult if you wanted to keep seeing them though. Like where do you go for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th date? It would be a lot of driving.

That’s what I mean, I would find it too much of a pain in the ass. Different if you know somebody first and a move made, but trying to build a relationship across the country would be too annoying for me. It’s nice to be able to meet somebody after work for example.

Ha! Funnily enough I've never actually dated a vegetarian or vegan. This is going to sound really bad, but I feel like any men I come across who are veggie also happen to be quite feminine which isn't my thing.

I actually know a good few of these couples, 3 married!

• Advertisement

It would just have to move a bit faster in terms of knowing if you want it to turn into something, so that after a few dates you could progress to weekends in each other's places. I think that's why I don't see it as an issue though, because I'd know after like 3 dates if something was going somewhere and I'd want to know if the other person was on the same page. I can't really think of any situation where I've "dated" someone more than few weeks before it was a relationship or at least a "no hassle to stay over the weekend" situ. My last relationship we were seeing each other for 2 months before it was an "official" thing but I knew it was going that way.

I know lots of people date for months though and it could be that long before they know if they're into someone. I just don't think it suits my personality or how I work, cause if I'm not getting a touch of the feels fairly early then there won't be any feels. (emotional feels, not touchy feels, but those too🤣). So it's sort of like I'll be in a relationship, and when that ends I'll have a look online for a bit until I find someone I think I'll really be into, then I meet them, and then I usually end up in my next relationship. Maybe I'm a serial monogamist? But like I can't be because I love my own space too.

OH actually I did have a guy who fecking kept me hanging for YEARS in my 20s, we'd go back and forth in between other relationships and he was just an absolute headwreck, never knew what he wanted but kept promising it would work out when he sorted this out or that out. So I'd stick around for a bit, then it would blow up cause I'd inevitably get annoyed waiting, or we'd meet and it would blow up because it always just eventually did, and then we'd do the same thing a year later for a month or two. It was always on his terms and I had zero willpower. I'd say we were as bad as each other sometimes . I wasn't half as in control of managing my emotions as I am now, but he absolutely knew how to wind me up and instead of avoiding that he seemed to seek it out and do it on purpose just to perpetuate the cycle. I thought that would never end, but I copped on to myself eventually when he crossed a line and I saw what was happening. Oh the wisdom of age.

Essay over. Thanks for the therapy session. Might just stay single in hindsight.😂

Advertisement