Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunter Biden

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Rich Person gets write-off from the IRS Shocker!!!!!!!

Shocking I tell you, shocking.

Has never happened to any other wealthy person ever in the history of the world.

Except for EVERY OTHER RICH PERSON ever..

Nothing Burger - AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

'yeah im a registered republican but don't call this rushing out to television ahead of a congressional hearing political okay?'

And Republicans were such hoors for 'the process' during impeachment one. Utterly hounded the whistleblower in that instance and voted to 'acquit' Trump based mostly off the fact that the whistleblower's identity was being protected from all the death threats pouring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm not sure what the poster above is trying to imply with the "registered republican" bit, but for the benefit of those unfamiliar with the details of American politics, this is basically irrelevant.

In the U.S. in most states, if not all, people will generally register as being with a party so that they can participate in that parties state primaries. "Primary" elections are held by the two parties to select a candidate for election, and the resultant winners face off against each other in the main or "general" election. This two-stage system applies not just to presidential elections but also "down ballot" to congressional elections and even state and local elections. Consequently, a large portion of the American population would be "registered" to one party or another.

But this does not indicate that they are working members of the party, or activists or anything like that. To say that such a person is "registered party X" literally means absolutely nothing except that the person wishes to vote in that party's primary elections. Nothing else.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Thanks for the accurate but utterly irrelevant information on how registration for Primary elections work in the US.

He's referred to as a "Republican" because that's what he is and his legal costs are being covered by a well known Republican think tank (Empower Oversight) and he is being represented by the President of that organisation- Tristan Leavitt , who also represents the other "whistleblowers" who have had their costs paid for by Kash Patel, a notorious Trump operative and rampant conspiracy theorist.

So yes, making reference to his Republican party affiliation is absolutely relevant because all evidence indicates that it is central to how he is choosing to engage in these proceedings - For example, while he has met with the House Committees to give his evidence , he has refused to meet with the equivalent Senate Committees - The one chaired by Democrats for some reason.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

What a bizarre post. The information about the U.S. primary/general election system is relevant because a large portion of the American public is "registered" as something or another so as to participate in their preferred primaries. A person less generous than myself might suspect that the poster was trying to fool an Irish reader into thinking that someone being a "registered Republican" was some kind of epic burn, proving that the witness is an activist or hyper-partisan actor, when in reality it's more the rule than the exception in the US for someone to be "registered" something or another, and ipso facto indicates very little.

As to him getting help with his legal representation, legal costs in the US can get quite significant, presumably more so given the circumstances in this case. As to "rampant conspiracy theorist" I'm old enough to remember when the Democrat party along with the U.S. media (although I repeat myself) were spinning one bizarre conspiracy theory after another relating to the 45th president, even going into lurid details about how he supposedly had a "golden shower" in a very specific Moscow hotel room, etc.

By your logic, any "registered Democrat" cannot credibly accuse a conservative of anything, and any interaction between a "registered Democrat" and left-wing groups is ipso-facto disqualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I don't remember any media or high profile Dem claiming that Don had a golden shower in Moscow.

I do remember the press reporting the allegations in the Steele dossier as allegations. There's a huge difference there.

She thinks that was soooooooo clever of her

So - She just admitted to committing a crime on live TV right?

Truly a genius.

GOP has been pinning its hopes to an FD-1023, a literally bureaucratic from used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation to document raw, unverified reports, rumors, hearsay etc.

What I have surmised is that while this document hasn’t been published the republicans and have leaked that someone outside the FBI tried to come to them in 2020 accusing Biden of being “the big guy.” That’s basically it. It has as much veracity as previous specious claims for example about Trumps pee pee tapes.

This interview was ridiccculous for Lindsay Graham. Im sharing it here for one reason: he openly admits to George Stephanopalous that the Hunter Biden laptop is a hoax/conspiracy theory, believed in by the right, not as a matter of fact. "I know you don't get what I'm saying, but people on my side believe it," he told Stephanopolous. Watch at the timestamp:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

In other words;

This won't make sense to you since you're not a fcuking retard but the people i represent are thick as pig-siht so I need to spout this drivel to keep them engaged.

More or less yes. We believe it so deal with it. Alternative facts in full force.

Biden tired of being gaslit as 'the big guy'

Jim Jordan also concedes they don't know if any tapes ever existed

Comer now admits they haven't had any contact with one whistleblower in their investigation... in 3 years.

And Rudy Giuliani now tries to float a conspiracy theory that another whistleblower a) existed and b) has suddenly died under mysterious circumstances

😂

The GOP are now desperately trying to answer, quickly, to their own base, why their own investigations into Democrats are moving so slowly and producing zero results while Donald Trump is getting processed swimmingly by the Department of Justice with incontrovertible evidence.

Jaime Raskin motions for FBI to release more information about the FD-1023 discussing alleged tapes of Biden. Which gives the appearance that Raskin is seeking the FBI assessment memo about the FD-1023 ie. 'we assessed it was bullshit.'

That's quite simply false.

In the footage, Lindsay Graham says that millions of Republicans believe that something untoward went on with Hunter Biden. Graham is iterating a statement of fact.

There's a world of difference between that, and the false and misleading portrayal you've tried to put across - that the above is some kind of admission by Graham that it's all a hoax without any basis in fact.

Graham is saying to the host that many Republicans believe that something went on with Hunter, but that it's not investigated in the same way that Trump is always investigated. He's pointing to what he believes to by hypocrisy when it comes to investigations.

Literally stating that they "believe it" is miles away from him asserting any of those things are remotely true.

My point still stands and is valid.

Yes - they do, or are you suggesting that millions of Republicans don't believe that something untoward went on with Hunter Biden?

Your point doesn't stand. It's a deliberately false portrayal of that interview to put across a narrative that a leading Republican is somehow dismissing the Hunter Biden story. It's laughable.

Anyone can go up and listen to what Graham actually said for themselves and see how you have deliberately misled people on this point.

I never said, and Lindsay Graham never said, they don't believe it.

This belief is entirely irrelevant though, the DOJ doesn't prosecute feelings.

My point is still valid and stands.

• Advertisement

Not that it needed confirmation, but Lindsay Graham has consistently stated that something untoward went on with Hunter Biden, and that an investigation into his case should be launched.

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senators Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina), John Cornyn (R-Texas), and more than 30 other colleagues today sent a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland demanding that U.S. Attorney David Weiss be extended special counsel protections and authorities to conduct the investigation into Hunter Biden:

“There is no way of knowing the entire scope of the investigation, but evidence seems to be mounting that Hunter Biden committed numerous federal crimes, including, but not limited to, tax fraud, money laundering, and foreign-lobbying violations,” the Senators wrote Attorney General Garland.

That, and what he actually said in the interview above, are the facts -- and not the false and misleading portrayal of Graham currently given on this thread.

Except this is in an interview where he wasn't talking about 'tax fraud, money laundering, and foreign-lobbying violations' he's talking about 'the hunter biden laptop' which has incredible chain of custody issues.

There's also no logic in a Special Counsel to investigate these crimes, Hunter Biden is a private US citizen with no government clearances or credentials, there is nothing in the letter or report indicating David Weiss is not actually protected or authorized to carry out a criminal investigation of hunter biden, and nothing in that set of allegations, eg. tax fraud, that criminally implicate his father, the POTUS, as a coconspirator.

By contrast there is reams of evidence that directly indicate that Trump did not give his DOJ nearly the same autonomy, they were constantly called in, harassed, and tweeted about endlessly. AG Barr pre-empted the release of the Mueller report with spin which miscategorized the findings of the report on its head. He repeatedly railed at Jeff Sessions for example to 'unrecuse himself' from a matter he appointed to a special counsel. There have been zero indications even remotely similar that the Biden WH is influencing its DOJ in any virtually similar way.

Lindsay Graham never said that the Hunter Biden scandal was a hoax / conspiracy theory.

You are now trying to change the goalposts now that I've shown your claim to be false.

You haven't shown anything, why did he have to preface his entire set of allegations with "we live in a world where most republicans believe [these allegations that do date have failed to meet a credible standard of evidence]," endcapping it with "I know you don't get what I'm saying, but people on my side believe it," and then flourishing with "in my opinion"

He never actually defended that any of his assertions were confirmed by any evidence or indictment.

And what's the penultimate thing he said in that interview:

"This double standard is real in the mind of most Republicans."

My point is valid and still stands.

What's more likely: that your misleading claim, that Lindsay Graham believes the Hunter Biden scandal is a hoax / conspiracy theory, or that Lindsay Graham demanding an investigation into Hunter Biden - which is on record - is his actual opinion on the matter?

I know which of the two I'm more likely to believe.

That's my last word on the matter.

They "believe" that something happened because they have been fed an endless stream of unsubstantiated horse-**** for years.

Exactly the same reason why Republican voters have diminished faith in Election integrity.

Because GOP mouthpieces have told them that they should be concerned, again absent any actual facts.

Pretty much every single "concern" that Republican voters have is because they have been told to be concerned about it by the GOP and every single issue is at best utterly overblown and at worst a completely fabricated story with no basis in reality.

If people like Lindsey Graham want to address the concerns of their voters they could start by telling them the f*cking truth for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The level of "concern" about the "truth" is touching and heartwarming to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

If any of the allegations against Hunter Biden are true I wouldn't hold out much hope of him ever being held to account for them.

Trump promised to lock Hilary Clinton up over her use of an unofficial email server and despite controlling the three branches of government nothing was ever done, not even an indictment.

There's more interest/money in making people angry than solving problems.

”nothing” you say

I guess John Durham doesnt ring any bells for you. Or John Huber?

Not having the evidence to support indictment and not being a banana republic are two problems facing republicans, their “beliefs” as Lindsay Graham discussed, don’t align with reality.

• Advertisement

Something's going on with Hunter Biden - and it seems not just him, either - with reports from the House Oversight Committee Chairman that the Bidens accepted over $30 million from foreign nationals.

What work did they do to warrant such an enormous amount of money?

It's more than suspicious at this stage.

And from what James Comer has said, it seems likely that even more funds will be discovered:

House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer on Thursday teased that new bank records his panel expects to obtain will reveal that the Biden family has accepted as much as $30 million from foreign nationals.

“We have more bank records coming in, we’re going to exceed $10 million this week. And I think we’ll get up to between $20 and 30 million,” Comer (R-Ky.) told Fox Business’ Maria Bartiromo when asked how much money the committee has identified as being obtained by President Biden’s family members from overseas sources. 

Comer has identified nine members of the Biden clan — including first son Hunter Biden, the president’s brother James Biden, his brother’s wife, Sara Biden, the widow of the president’s late son, Hallie Biden, Hunter’s current wife, Melissa Cohen Biden, and Hunter’s ex-wife, Kathleen Buhle — as having allegedly received foreign income. 

Advertisement