Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Excellent post, I'd like to see those stats across our last 3 or 4 managers

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

I think there is a balance that can be struck but we cant go back to defending our box for 80 mins and then trying to nick a goal. We need to try and be better in attack. I think Kenny has tried to put a plan in place and whether its his instructions or that the players arent good enough i dont know. Definitely against the better teams there was a plan that was better and created more chances than the previous managers.

Where we have fallen down is where we always tend to fall down, against so called slightly weaker opposition especially away from home and teams of similar ability around us. Thats a 15 year problem do.

Kenny has had plenty of bad luck and plenty of bad decisions he made but in another life time 5 screamers from outside the box dont go in and hourihane kicks the ball in from 3 yards.

Evan Ferguson is our future so we need to build a team around his strengths. All of our players are not high energy/kick and rush of years gone by. They have all grown up playing possession football so those saying we need to get "back to our strengths" are talking nonsense. Those type of players simply dont exist anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

Who are the 26 players? Tried to find it online but can’t seem to.

Im not doubting that’s the number but giving a cap to a journeyman here and there or starting lads in friendlies only is different to the job Kenny was required to do, which was overhaul the starting XI with youth, and it’s disingenuous to compare the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The point is it is not comparing the two no one is saying Alba = Collins.

However, what posters like myself are saying is that Collins would better in midfield than Cullen/Molumpy. They are that lightweight no bite, no energy, no drive no passion. And yes Ireland ARE desperate - let's call a spade a spade.

As for the positional witch for players that do not play there at club level Southgate famously switched Walker to centre back as a needs must/tactical choice.

Kyle Walker's England role is Gareth Southgate’s boldest decision yet

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11407721/kyle-walkers-england-role-is-gareth-southgate8217s-boldest-decision-yet

Gareth Southgate’s boldest decision was to change Kyle Walker’s position. But why has he done it and will it work? With the help of former England right-back Viv Anderson, a veteran of two World Cups, Adam Bate assesses the tactical significance of the switch…

--

As for the Irish team culture in general.

Another poster commented pre match against Greece that he hopes the Irish team does well because they are 'nice group of lads'. But to me that sums up the problem with them. A 'nice group of lads' no fight in them. The sort of like lads a person's daughter would like to marry - meek man. Soft characters. And prospective mother in law's would love them. No character/ruthlessness/dogs of war.

That attitude stems from the manager IMO a manager creates a team in his image. Stephen Kenny painfully shy, meek, almost looks on the verge of tears, nervous, poor communicator, slow to react, idealistic. Which sums up the Irish squad. A Leinster League team would show more character than them. It is rudderless group.

How in the name of Jayus can Kenny get players fired up and communicate interaction to them? Kenny can't communicate, he is soft, he picks types pf players who are soft. That is what he has created a softie, excuse laden, idealistic culture,

Culllen, Molumpy remind me of James McCarthy a meek soft character, now it was even worse with James McCarthy because he hid in games despite his talent. Half the time you would wonder was he on the pitch at all.

This Irish team is not only poor technically but they are full of softies, they also do not seem to be very intelligent footballers who sense danger. You can at least improve on stuff like structure/drive despite being poor technically.

--

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It at least changes mindset adds drive, this Irish team is like a a flat fizzy drink the most passive Irish team I have ever seen and that is down to the manager, Forget talk of ability etc.

In Kenny's mind he want's to play 'nice' football, but unfortunately not only are they technically incapable of doing that. They don't even do the basics. Chase, harry and work their bollix off. What should be the basics of every Irish team, FIGHT/PASSION/ENERGY. Kenny has managed to sap the Irish team of that. They are slow to react to danger, really slow. Even Barcelona at peak had a three second rule to win the ball back.

Maybe Ireland should be put in the lowest nations league permanently for the next decade? If that is what people want where teams are no threat, where there is no pressure. Where players don't have to cover ground, Then maybe fans can cod themselves that Ireland is 'playing in the right way', Andorra etc could look great at that level.

No doubt Kenny will spin the Gibraltar for positives post match, dressing it up throwing in some twisted statistic to try and build up things, But that is really scraping the barrel. Kenny has created a culture of meekness, there is nothing there anymore in the overall squad. Then throw in no solid defensive structure, no tactical acumen in game/pre game from either the sideline or the players. Then the whole thing quickly becomes a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Exactly the ball never came to him. ironically I think having Ferguson really shows Kenny up for what he is, The excuse at the start of his reign was that he had no young 'Robbie Keane'. But now he does have an equivalent. Surely you get the ball up to Ferguson as quick as possible? Rattle into the opponents.

Put a half decent manager in charge of Ireland and they would get solid defensive structure, and build a team around Ferguson. I suspect that whoever the next manager maybe you won't have the same idealism/passiveness/cluelessness that there is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He's not, but this Molumpy character though could be a meek soft character. Speaking of Molumby though there's some rumours linking him with a move to Leeds this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭McBain11

Lads if anyone is interested, I've 2 spare tickets for match vs Gibraltar tomorrow.

Block 112, row bb, seats 1 and 2.

60 euros total for the 2 tickets. Pm me if interested.

• Advertisement

just saw this now. Thankfully someone else used the word 'soft'. I was starting to think I was imagining it with the constant excuses for Kenny and the Irish team on this thread.

Have you watched brighton play at all? Ferguson has played what 15-20 senior games of football, Friday was his 2nd start at international level and you've crowned him the new Robbie Keane after his 2nd start and are using it as a stick to beat Kenny. Nonsense argument to just have a go at Kenny

Where was he the last day then? As Liam Brady said in studio what does he do? He didn't get tackles in, he didn't pass.

Brady said he counted one good pass the whole march between Cullen and Molumpy and that was by Cullen! One good pass. This is a team that is supposed to be set to play football 'the right way'.

Is the manager at fault then?

--

I think Kenny is still managing like he did with the u21's where you are given more time and space. Any team can look good when given time and space. But this is senior international football.

More excuses and obfuscation from you I see. A manager sets a team out to get the most of the players he has available. Kenny's tactics left Ferguson isolate. He might as well have been siting on his mam's couch in Bettystown.

Alot to pick apart here.

I guess Vincent Kompany will be selling his fans player of the year because he cant pass a ball? Are you a mind reader or the Kenny whisperer to guess whats in his mind? The majority of our players and especially the midfielders finished playing with their clubs 6 weeks ago, they were always going to be rusty and id imagine all they want is to go on holidays.

3rd paragraph is waffle

You have no idea whats been said in the dressing room or whats been done in training. Players have openly said they are prepared very well and enjoy what instructions are been given to them. Multiple players have in fact praised the training and prep. They sure as hell werent openly saying that under MON.

You clearly dont like him, didnt want him to succeed and what to beat him down constantly. Fine thats your opinion but dont be talking nonsense as if the team isnt prepared

Gus Poyet's take on Ireland is damning. After the game in Athens.

When asked to describe the Irish style of play under Kenny as a ‘classic British way’ or ‘possession-based’ or a constant state of flux, the former Chelsea midfielder leaned into option three.

“I understand that situation because when we were analysing the Republic of Ireland we had the impression that you were really playing football with the ball on the floor, playing through the thirds, going wide, putting players in the box and I was happy because of the way that you played.

And then there were other games where depending on the result you become the Republic of Ireland, with all due respect. You depend on a corner, you depend on a long ball, you depend on fighting for second and third balls.

“But it’s tough boys, it’s tough. I remember many games with the national team where I was on the pitch thinking ‘how are we going to win this?’ And I don’t know how they feel, but that succession of corners at the beginning of the game – five, six, seven, eight – you are playing away from home and you need to win and the ball is coming, coming, coming and it is corner after corner. How do you get out of that?

• Advertisement

Kompany can buy players and afford Cullen freedom for a start. Even if you ignore that point Kompany can get a tune out of Cullen to the extent that he is player of the year. Whereas Cullen under Kenny is a virtually nonexistent player when it comes to the crunch, It says even less for Kenny.

And the last paragraph you fall back on your old trope. Where ANY negative criticism of Kenny means that you are an enemy of Irish football, As if it is an attack on Ireland's ONLY saviour.

The only point in that last paragraph you are correct on is that I don't rate Kenny, But I never wished ill on the man, and it would have been nice to see him succeed, But he has failed to do the management basics develop a team that is hard to beat and greater than the sum of its parts, On that score he has failed and failed utterly.

As for the ring rustiness, why did Kenny not foresee this? David Connolly was amazed that Ireland did not arrnage a friendly to get players sharp as you cannot beat match practice. But yet again you seem to desperately find an excuse or 'out' for Kenny. Circumstance or someone else is always at fault but never Kenny?

Outstanding against who and what were the results? If Cullen is 'outstanding' the bar must be set as low as you can go. I am sure Cullen is going to look great v Gibraltar and might even get the 3 MOTM. Instead of the usual Bazunu after a loss.

There are multiple reasons why the team were poor the other. Many here can see that, you cant. You lay all the blame on Kenny and thats fine but to not take any of the other reasons outside of Kennys control into account is not looking at all the facts.

Kenny did foresee the ring rustyness, had the 2 camps, tried to get a friendly but couldnt. No amount of training makes up for match sharpness, any player will tell you that. You mighy say i dont put any blame on Kenny but thats no the full truth, whereas i know there are many reasons for the poor performance as well as blame for Kenny but according to you everything is Kenny fault.

Cullen was our best player in many games under Kenny. He was shite the other night as were many of the players, some of thats on Kenny but most of it is on the players themselves as they have come out and said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

If only Martin O'Neill had given Rice some game time (non-friendly) but he didn't seem to notice he was head and shoulders above the ones he was selecting.

Every past senior international player has said it took them 20 caps to feel comfortable at international football. They didnt leave him isolated, he played 2 up top, the fact that Idah had a poor game doesnt change that fact. Again twisting the narative to have a go at Kenny

• Advertisement

Thanks for saving me time having to post that.

"Now we have another Robbie Keane" is a bit bonkers.

Was rice ever on the bench for a competitive game?

Don't think he'd have come on tbh

Dont think so, think the main point is, we were playing Moldova at home and MON/Keane didnt think to stick him on the bench where they could have given him 5 mins.

Im going to be unpopular with this statement but Randolph was a more reliable performer for us.

It helped we weren't as easy to play against but he was better able to hold shots and save long rangers.

Edit: I should obviously say Gavin's ceiling could be higher.

There was plenty of opportunities to play him. His head got turned when Southgate poked his big nose in and then his agent could see the $$$

Definitely would have been up for it early days, don't think watching assistant manager Keane kicking off with players helped either

Come on man, your'e fantastic at finding constant excuses, but very slow or non-existent with any real critical analysis. A bit like the Irish midfield and Kenny post match press conferences.

When someone asks you where was the improvement in Kenny's Ireland you vaguely come out with stuff like 'I see what he is trying to do'. You then blame what Kenny has to work with on the FAI previous managers etc.

I have this sense from you that you have invested so much into Kenny emotionally to give any hint of criticism towards him would be not only an insult to Kenny himself. But an insult to Irish football itself as Kenny was supposed to the saviour and so on.

You are great for finding 'the positives and or excuses for Kenny and Ireland. It is actually fairly impressive at how consistent you are with it. I will give you credit for that.

But as David Connolly said a 4-5-1 getting balls into the box makes far more sense. As a poor side like Ireland when playing three at the back with wingbacks means it quickly becomes a five and they have no out.

Going two up made Ireland too open in the middle and Connolly questioned why did Kenny not at least set up like he did against France?

Also David Connolly commented on O'Dowda said he knew him well as a youngster an out an out winger. But now he is trying to play as a full back or wing back. Not defensively sound.

I was thinking why not play him as a winger?

I know this sounds naive but if he was always waiting for England and he'd be turning up for us with regret then I'm glad he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People need to forget about Carsley or Roy Keane.

We have seen with Kenny and Kerr that underage experience doesn't translate into senior level.

All Carsley has really done is underage.

As for Keane, that ship has long sailed.

A manager needs to have good club experience, coaching senior level players.

I'd say myself that the floor for a new manager should be English Championship level experience or whatever the European equivalent might be.

Anything less and you are looking at a repeat of the last few years.

Kenny has gotten many things wrong. But we are better against the better teams and actually look like creating chances. Your very quick to the critisism for no real reason and give Kenny no credit and find fault on everything he does or doesnt do.

Sticking with the 3-5-2 has probably been a mistake but i understand why he went that way in the first place. But the last 18 months the players who that formation made sense for basically have lost form and havent been playing for their club. Again i dont think he was gonna go to a formation that hasnt been used in 2 years for a must not lose game. Hindsight is great.

O'Dowda has spent the last 2 seasons playing wing back for his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Predictability has been a hallmark of our game under Kenny.

The list of candidates floating out through the media wasn't impressive but with the rumoured 500K annual salary being offered, the reality is we were never going to get anyone of any type of stature in the game today. I'm sure any level headed individual understood that.

If accurate, Poyet is on less money than Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've always been pro Kenny but the time to move on has come. He can take plaudits for bringing through a lot of players and trying to ingrain a more progressive style than what's gone before. But things haven't improved enough results wise.

Strange tactical decisions, strange or no substitutions until it's too late, Mannings non involvement are all things that are costing us/ don't add up.

I don't know if he should go after Gibraltar or after the campaign ends. Not sure if it matters.

As for a future manager, someone who plays progressive football and can get the best from the players. Adi Hütter, even though I doubt we'd get him or he'd be interested.

Honestly, we shouldn’t be paying high wages for our national team manager in any case.

The idea of doing it really started with Trap and the association couldn’t afford it by itself, and the whole idea was to distract from the shambles the organisation had become.

I would be much happier with someone for around Kenny’s wage. If we find a few million behind the couch, youth player development would be a far more prudent investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Why? Every player playing for a lower half prem team rather would rather play for City, Liverpool, United. Doesnt mean they dont care when they do play. If we was turning up and giving it 100% then who cares if he would rather be in England. Anyway.. doesn’t really matter now does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Youth player development should be a major investment, but it should be at youth level.

If we want a system as it were, a style that is consistent through the age groups then fine - Kenny seems to be more suited to nurturing and growing that. We don't have our young lads being coached over the water anymore at the younger ages.

We can't be blooding lads at senior level and giving managers plaudits for that. The results are too important and as we continue to slide down the coefficients we will find it harder to qualify - even though the two main tournamnets look to be setting themselves up for expansion.

I've always believed we need a manager more than a coach at senior International level, you don't get the time with the players to be coaching too much. This is where Kenny falls again, I know we only see the man out in public, but he does not strike me as someone who can motivate people, he couldn't take a room.

This is where the likes of suggesting Keane works for me - even though I don't see it as a possibility.

We need something bigger changing the structure of Irish football, getting the system set up right, having it consistent amongst the ages, and then a Manager who can work it on the big stage. Unfortunetly i doubt we can afford any of

Ok have you ever heard any of Kennys ex players talk about him? Everyone says hes a brilliant man manager bit He clearly has his faults.

If he didnt blood young players in the senior squad we would be in much worse shape and have kicked the can down the road another few years. That argument is nonsense because if we dont blood players the senior team ceases to exist. This transition had to happen at some stage and there was always gonna be some pain. Probably time to move on and bring in the next guy.

Suggesting Keane is nonsense.

You dont know alot of the underage set here do you? Everyone team plays a version of 4-3-3 up to the 21s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We've nearly always raised our game against the bigger teams. Kenny has made no exception in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I appreciate the work he has done, I just don't think he should be getting any more time in the top job for blooding young players. He managed many of them before has he not? I'd have expected bigger things and I did. Similar to Kerr getting the job, it made sense but didn't really work in the end.

I don't know much about the youth setup there no, I agree.

Suggesting Keane and the likes is not nonsense, he has as many good things going for him as there are bad things - either ways there is no point in discussing that as it isn't going to happen (unless that is what you meant by nonsense).

He may well be a brilliant man manager, he just doesn't strike me as a leader.

Expect we had a game plan against better teams that wasnt just defend the 18 yard box and hump it long. We created chances and if we had better finishers results might have been different. Probably should have gotten a draw v france, deserved at least a draw to portugal away.

Problem has been as it always has creating chances against teams of similar or percieved lower ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Most footballers are soft these days, bringing in Roy keane as manager wont make them any harder. I think the likes of Molumby isnt soft, he is tough enough in the tackle etc but he just isn't good enough.

• Advertisement

Yeah as ive said i think he was the right appointment at the time. But need a fresh voice to try and continue what hes started. Biggest problem for Kenny and any future manager is these players actually playing with their clubs, if they dont play the national side will never kick on

Again you are blaming outside forces. Tsmikas does not play much for his club and looked grand the last day. Destroyed Ireland.

I would also dispute that Kenny was the 'right appointment' history has proven otherwise.

At the time it was the right appointment given everything. In hindsight depending on ones expectations for the first time you can argue it either way. The next manager will be thanking Kenny for all the caps the younger players got under him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Is Manning really that good? I saw him playing for Ireland once and he looked not up to standard. sure he is only playing in the championship, like most of our players, its not like he is playing champions league football, is he the new andy reid or wes hoolahan?

Basically what I was saying Kenny was the sub teacher mindng the house for the next manager, on an international jobbridge paid on the cheap

Pity Mick McCarthy is only in a new club job now. He is the sort of man required for the job. Sets a team up based on the players available, good at working with lower level players etc, Makes teams hard to beat.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Who is this club you speak of McCarthy currently managing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Steve Staunton tried to play a passing style when he took over. He had 17 games in charge. He gained good victories against Sweden, Denmark, Slovakia and Wales. He got draws against Germany and a very good Czech Republic. He gave debuts to Stephen Ireland, Kevin Doyle, Joey O'Brien, Shane Long, Anthony Stokes, Darron Gibson, Stephen Hunt, Paul McShane, Stephen Kelly, Daryl Murphy, Andy Keogh and a load more on the American tour, he was building for World Cup 2010 but didn't get the chance.

Were people giving him credit for the building the foundations for nearly qualifying for the World Cup and qualifying for the Euros in 2012? Were people saying he should get another campaign? No, he was sacked because he was found to be way out of his depth and people were thankful he was gone. It's the same with Stephen Kenny. He's nearly had double the amount of games Staunton had and he's done a far worse job. His backers need to let it go. Enough damage has been done. Hopefully we get a competent manager involved who can get the most out of our talented youngsters and Kenny will be a forgotten footnote.

McCarthy got €1.2 million a season and a 1.1m bonus to not qualify for anything. Hopefully that ridiculous overspend on managers is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We always had game plans though. They were not always just hump it long. Still our best chances are coming from humping it long and set pieces.

Kenny's football is dire. I really wanted it to work, but aimlessly passing back and forth across the back line and from midfield and back without any fast progressive, forward passing is completely and utterly pointless.

We don't try to move opposition teams around. We don't make them have to work for the ball. Out passing has lead directly to us conceding goals I an alarming amount of fictires because it's so utterly predictable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

McCarthy almost qualified us for the Euros, coming just behind very good Denmark and Switzerland teams. Kenny has left us battling it out at the bottom of every group. What's the saying? You pay peanuts.......

1.2 million a year for Mick to not qualify is good value then? What happened to it being a result’s business?

He was very well paid by international manager standards and failed in his objective, so I really don’t understand why anyone would want him back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement