Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can we not be in the group with Munster as top seeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

No, the URC teams in the same group can't be from the same country, so the four provinces will be seperated, as will the two South African teams.

Also, the Ireland RWC gear is all launching this week and Elvery's have the exclusive rights for that, so assuming the rumours about them getting Leinster are true, they won't want to crowd their own market. I'd say it will be a few weeks yet before we see anything new from Leinster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ok. The URC teams don't play one another in the groups anyway though?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭conquestscarer

Would be great to play La Rochelle in the pool stages. I honestly think mentally our players had a fear of Skelton up until last year's final where we finally shut him down for once. The year before in France we kind of had everything go against us. I think for us to improve we need to work on making breaks in open play from our backs, currently there's no running threat from open play and mostly it's planned set pieces that we slice defence open with. Only Keenan and Lowe ever really get through the first line. Think Osborne is a player who could really make a big impact next year in this regard.

I'm very surprised at the ages of their key players and how old their team is. I was convinced Danty was 24/25, the same with Kerr-Barlow but both are in their 30s. Will be interesting to see if age affects them in the next year/two as bar Aldritt their key players are all currently 30/31/32.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭PMC83

This year and last year, La Rochelle pinned us back into our own 22 for closing parts of the game. Poor exits killed us. They tried and very nearly succeed to do the same thing to Toulouse last night. A moment of magic and Toulouse are away. I agree with you that we could use a few more running threats.

Last night kinda shows what could have been tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Toulouse never seem afraid to try and run it against La Rochelle. Circumstances dictated at the end that they had to, but multiple times during the game they managed to work the ball wide. We saw Exeter find a lot of success in the semi doing the same thing, yet Leinster seemed dead set on kicking any ball on their side of the half. We have a better backline than them imo, and have really failed to employ them at all. Very frustrating.

Don't think Skelton did much of anything between the two finals either, bar get away with murder in rucks. Was anonymous with the ball in hand, and Toulouse massively disrupted La Rochelle lineout ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think last night just showed us that the margins are really tight at the top of the game. All this guff about mental blocks and teams having the measure of us etc is way overblown.

We could have beaten LAR but we didn't. LAR could have beaten Toulouse but they didn't. That's about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Leinster have a hang up about La Rochelle. La Rochelle are fantastic but on almost the same level as Toulouse, who Leinster have no problem beating.

Leinster getting La Rochelle away in the group stages and winning would go a massive way to helping them long term.

No they don't. Afaik, no two teams from the same league will play each other in the pool stage.

You have two English, two French and two URC in every pool. The URC teams play two English & two French teams, the English play two URC and two French and the French play two URC and two English. It's a bit of shambles really because it's not a level playing field if teams in the same pool aren't even playing the same opposition to get into the knockouts.

Also, the assumption is that the Irish and the South Africans are being kept apart in the pool stages for optics reasons, so they can't be seen to be "doing any favours" for their neighbours. Yet such restrictions aren't being place on the English or the French 🤔

It's almost like drawing up yet another mess of a format on the back of a beermat has led to unforeseen imbalances across the competition. If only there was some sort of historic precedent that could have resulted in a more equitable division of 24 teams...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭PMC83

I don't think Leinster have a hang up about them at all. La Rochelle are a quality side, who've just pipped us on all occiasions. As FFF just mentioned, fine magins at the top, as last nights game has shown

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Poor exits and not even attempting to exploit LAR's poor defence out wide killed us and were mostly self inflicted which is the infuriating thing. LAR can be opened up (don't even need to look at the T14 final, look at the Exeter SF!) and we didn't even try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Toulouse really are a crack side. They can play unstructured open and off the hook type of rugby.

How do Leinster make them look so average? It's strange. The heino final was a bad day for JGP and Lowe. The reality is that we couldn't clear our lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

its hard to suddenly just become a running team. Leinster have been a kicking team all year (and for years) that generally only get fancy in the ‘right part of the pitch’. They were rarely in that part of the pitch against la rochelle.

Skelton getting away with murder in rucks and generally being a wall that delivers clean ball in offensive rucks for high possession team is actually his role. He’s really good at it .

Toulouse do seem to have a hoodoo when it comes to Leinster imo. They seem to choose game plans that play into Leinster's strengths almost and also just implode in games. They do seem to have mistakes and blunders in their core character as well that doesn’t help. You give leinster platforms (especially lineouts) and they can obliterate you off set plays. Toulouse are also not a possession team generally the way la rochelle are so they can’t default to a keep ball game.

I’d say this is a problem for france too as the national team is way more Toulouse in character and style than la rochelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

You give leinster platforms (especially lineouts) and they can obliterate you off set plays.

How many of Leinster's tries in the last two semi finals v Toulouse were off set plays?

You disagree with what i said? Which part?

From memory leinster scored a ton from lineouts and toulouses performance was certainly pretty loose when it came to discipline… ie blunders. Do i need to go back and watch that game?

Edit: i watched all the tries. My bad, I’d lean heavily into straight up implosion from toulouse for a lot of that. I forgot how many boneheaded things they did in that games.

I’d still stand by that you don’t generally want to give leinster lineouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You don’t want to give any top team attacking line outs though….

I think every team relies on set plays. Most scores are from set plays? It's probably the easiest way to drill the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

So, a pre-season friendly against Munster. Thats a departure.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t want to give leinster lineouts at all if possible. If i had the conditioning, i’d pretty much always want to keep it in play.

My preference would be to either run everything back or kick it back long but not out.

To do that you really need to be able to get the ball and keep it for a while because playing straight up kick tennis with leinster is a losing strategy usually.

Post edited by ulsteru20s on

A pre-season friendly a month and a half before the season starts... 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Presume it's entirely to keep the fringe guys primed in case of RWC call up?

Then why aren't Ulster...

... actually, never mind 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Now they just have to figure out the mess of two home, two away games. Nobody will want to go to Cape Town in the South African summer, which we'll avoid. Tough pool but that one aspect is a bonus.

Brilliant!! Delighted with that. Tough group to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

A very tough group, it will be great to get the loss to LAR out of the way early 😬

No hopefully give them a good rattle.

The 2 English sides must be sick! Jayyyysus, the state of the draw for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry missed draw, did they say when we'll know what games are H/A? Wouldn't mind a weekend in LAR

Advertisement