Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

This notion that Kenny will be thanked in years to come for bringing players through is nonsense. Are you telling me that another manager would be looking at Bazunu, Ferguson and Collins in the premier league and somehow deciding not to play them ?

Bringing young players through is not about writing their names on the team sheet and putting them on the pitch , anyone could do that

Bringing them through is teaching them how to play in international football, how to adjust to different shapes , how to play under pressure and how to win . Kenny has done absolutely none of these things . He’s capped young players , a Leinster Senior League manager could have done that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Who said anything about wanting him back? Mick's reign wasn't great but compared to Kenny's...........

McCarthy had us competing with Euro semi finalists Denmark and Euro quarter finalists Switzerland, Kenny has us competing with Armenia, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Its good that you've been keeping up with Micks career progress since he left Ireland.

Under MON and Mick the game plan was hope for a set piece. There was no structure to it. Kennys teams havent been great but there was a structure there at least.

You say Kennys football is Dire, it was worse under Mick and later MON

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Aint that the truth, the fact that the positives being put out there are that he done exactly what’s every other manager would have done is damning.

Worst Ireland manager ever, time to move on.

Yes quite possibly. John Egan was playing premier league and was ignored for Keogh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

Zero wins in those games though, not very competitive.

Three wins overall, 2 against Gibraltar with a whopping 3 goals over 180 minutes and 1 against Georgia at home. That doesn’t sound so competitive.

The games you mentioned we were ahead for a not so competitive sounding zero minutes.

Better throw another few million at him now, I’m surprised other countries aren’t breaking down his door.

You mustn't have watched both Bulgaria games, both Wales games, Luxembourg, Hungary, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Malta etc etc. Some of the most dire, depressing matches I've ever seen. That Kenny plays attractive football is a myth.

Mick might have been 1 point away from qualifying but in reality we were as far away as Kenny was. It was dire stuff. We have been dire for basically 10 years. MON got a tune out of the squad for a few months and got to the Euros. Kenny at least tried to play football, those games we were slow and ponderous but at least we didnt defend on our 18 yard line. Georgia dominated us at home under Mick

Ignorance to what actually happened for the previous 10 years! Read all the posts contradicting your points!

• Advertisement

Played 10, won 5, drew 4 and only lost 1, came very close to knocking Denmark out on the last day of the group. That's the definition of competitive and McCarthy is well past his sell by date. It just shows how bad Kenny's reign has been. Played 33, won 9, drew 11, lost 13 and we've only played top ranking sides in 6 of those matches. I'd say Kenny's door is fairly safe when he's finally sacked.

Never said anything about the past, why are you referencing that? We are talking about other mangers coming in when he did. As opposed to ignorance in believing Kenny was the only manager in the world who would have come in and done what he done in picking the best players he had available to him? So he’s not the worst performing Ireland manager ever?

That's not reality. Actual reality is that we battered Denmark in the last game of the group. Dominated the game, we had 15 shots, they had 3. Deserved to win and qualify for the Euros. That's not even close to as far away as Kenny has us. Losing to Luxembourg and Greece means we're effectively out of our groups after the second match. Kenny has taken a competitive squad and turned them into no hopers. That's reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The structure is shite though. There's no plan to progress the ball most of the time. Its keep it for the sake of keeping it. Structure doesn't continuously see players turb over the ballbetween their own box and the centre circle. But we do it a lot.

Mon and Mick were defensively minded, but they also emplued wingers and overlapping fullbacks to get forward, they had a forward to drop between midfield and up front too to link up with midfield and wingers.

This is just revisionist bullshit from people who are too blinkered to see kenny just isn't making progress . I really wish he was. I really had high hopes for him. Wasn't expecting us to be world beaters, or even necessarily qualifying. But we look as poor and disorganized as we ever have at any time in the last 30 years at times. *

*Staunton excepted.

This is the thing,

The idea behind trying with Kenny was solid, it was worth a try, everyone wanted it to happen and work, it hasn’t, he’s out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,263 ✭✭✭✭briany

@athlone99

Kenny at least tried to play football

Yeah, but it's just not delivering results. There's been an awful lot of goodwill and patience shown towards Kenny and his project by the Irish public, but it's going to run out at some point and I feel like that point is near.

Yeah as ive said multiple times it probably is over. Who knows if he gets the full campaign he might surprise us all but that doesnt look likely at this stage. We need to build on what he started, we cant go back to the style of Mick or MON. Need to keep moving forward.

They both had different sets of players with more experience so its not apples and apples.

Its also revisionist to say MON and Mick had us really competitive. In reality we have been shite for years but football everywhere has moved on apart from here. Kick and rush football is dead and gone and irish fans need to realise that.

Moving forward? Kenny has knocked us back years!

• Advertisement

We were competitive un der MON and McCarthy. You've raised that point already and it has been demolished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Staunton had a better win rate than Kenny. Probably on a par with the press conferences/media though. Both introduced new players in their tenure. Steve Staunton even had the motto ‘if you are good enough you are old enough.’

Only main difference between the two tenures IMO -for some reason the media were/are massive flag wavers for Kenny. The slightest hint of a positive was exaggerated as ‘turning a corner’. In contrast, Staunton got savaged and ridiculed by the media.

I think the main difference is the Irish young soccer fans are desperate for any type of hope/success so they will buy into any rebrand. This rebrand failed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

No the reality is delaney set us back years by chasing short term. Because of that there was always gonna be some pain somewhere

Kenny was Delaney's last appointment. His last sting before heading off into the sunset. Get rid of Kenny now to finally get a clean slate from the Delaney era and start making a recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,263 ✭✭✭✭briany

The skill level needs to be there. Irish players never seem to have what I would call that 'continental finesse' when in possession of the ball. They always look gangly and uncomfortable, especially in tight spaces. James McClean chundering up the wings would be emblematic of this. You see other teams in or around Ireland's ranking in the world play a pass across the pitch, the receiver can get the ball under control in a touch and move it on, swift and slick. Too often with an Irish player, he can't do that. He needs two or three touches, by which time an opposing player is bearing down in him, more easily dispossessing him or forcing a rushed pass. All of this is stuff that I don't think you can coach away in a two week training camp. I think it goes right back to the very roots of these players' footballing education. If the grass roots trainers and academies truly have changed up their approaches, we may increasingly see a shift, but it won't be overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

5 wins, but 3 competitive wins. And not once did we ever have an automatic qualification spot in our hands, even when we had the opportunity to away to Georgia we put an insipid performance that Mick said he was delighted with.

We were close in that campaign as much with other results as anything we did ourselves, Mick didn’t do the business when he needed to and got paid over 3 million for the privilege. There was zero indication that had he been given another campaign that it would have kicked on from there.

• Advertisement

He's played 1 competitive game for Ireland , then had 110 mins across 5 friendlies behind ODowda and McClean. Can understand Doherty being ahead, but he only plays their if Coleman is available for the otherside.

He's been the standout player in that left back/left wing back in the championship. He's made the team of the season and was one of the highest rated players across all positions. He's been pretty consistent for 3-4 years, gradually getting better, before a dip last year and then a huge improvement this year.

Odowdas played similar positions, but not nearly as well as manning has done so. Manning has also played further forward and been excellent.

He's not necessarily a game changer, but hed offer a balance so clearly lacking. Solid defending, good getting forward, would've been able to rotate Coleman and Doherty on the other side. He just hasn't been given any real chance.

I don't care how much effort McClean gives, he shouldn't be ahead of him for that position based on any footballing reasons

I didn't say they did, I simply showed they did have tactics and gameplans that went beyond lumping it.

I just wish most of the other Irish lads put in as much effort as McClean does, even though it is obvious he is well past it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Fair play to the lad getting to 100 caps. It's a pity that Coleman has missed so much football and won't reach the ton mark himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"Are you telling me that another manager wouldn't be looking at the going PL players and not playing them?"

Trap literally did this with Coleman and McClean

• Advertisement

The Dutch supporters already asking questions about Koeman's reign. Hopefully he's still in place come September!

Sure Bazunu's gaff must be full of MOTM awards at this stage? An old head on him. But again he seems very quiet by nature. Pity he is not a type that roars at fellas, gives instructions that is what the team needs.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

To be honest I think it has to the most frustrating thing about Kenny's tenure. It is so bloody predictable and toothless. I remember way back when he started some on here used the argument that keep ball was a form of defence. But such posters did not seem to realise it just went backwards and sideways - real easy to defend against. No penetrative dangerous passes from midfield just scared safe passing for the sake of it.

And despite all this chat of change of style of play - what has Kenny's biggest threat offensively being? Set pieces! Which is traditionally Ireland's strength. You play to a teams strengths, to do other otherwise is to open up the weakness.

I think it was Gary Breen or David Connolly that pointed out when Ireland are pushed back as usual in their 5-3-2 it becomes 5 at the back. Then the main midfield Cullen/Molumby had loads of ground to cover leaving huge gaps. The midfield cannot cover it.

I think Ireland do not have wingbacks good enough to play the 3-5-2. It is no confidence that Doherty played his best football when he was with a Wolves team who had a creative combative middle which allowed him to go forwards. But Ireland don't have that as simple as that.

Ireland's midfield is really lightweight - the simple answer is shore it up with stoppers in the middle forget trying to pass it - they can't do it. Have a 4-5-1 instead with wingers. Let the wingers be the out ball getting it up the front man quickly.

There was a reason Trap brought in Paul Green, he saw Ireland's limitations so kept it simple.

What? Trap didn't pick Coleman or McClean when they were playing regularly in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As I said, Mick's reign wasn't great, you're arguing with yourself here. But he almost qualified us and only lost once in ten matches. Kenny then took that competitive squad and turned them into a shambles. It was the perfect opportunity to come in post Mick and get things going with positive football but Kenny completely blew it. He's had 5 major failures. Losing to Slovakia and failing to qualify for the Euro's, coming barely ahead of Bulgaria in the Nation's League with hardly getting a goal, getting effectively knocked out of World Cup qualifying in the second match after losing to Luxembourg, barely coming ahead of Armenia in his second Nation's League and then being effectively knocked out of Euro qualification in the second match after losing to Greece, he might have a sixth failure if we can't get a playoff because of his dismal results. To have that amount of failures in 3 years is some going. I think his only achievement is gaining the title of our worst ever manager.

My frustrations with latter-years McClean is not the player but the fact the managers kept picking him because he was hard working. Once he lost his pace, he was so limited technically that he was detrimental to the team 9/10 when we had possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We did, it was in our hands in the last game.

Would you not consider what you are comparing that to?

• Advertisement

Newstalk have turned on him. It's about time. The self confessed Kenny FM (their words, not mine) paper review part of Off the Ball stuck in the boot, although not fully. However, it's a massive shift in their analysis.

Hopefully the pressure keeps mounting and he gets gate asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Still a championship player, I doubt he would make any real difference to the team.

I dont consider being out played by Georgia at home as competitive. That style of football is dead and we need to move on as do my fans here

He's a standout championship player. There's a difference.

I disagree. He would make a difference. It would've allowed 2 options on the right, 2 on the left of people who actually play the role being asked of them, making life easier for other players.

Championship is a good level. Id have it ahead of spl personally, and it's far ahead of league one too from which a couple of our players the last year or so have been drawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Azatadine

About time. They were staun h supporters of Kenny all the way through. There was never anyone like him according to their narrative. John Duggan was the worst of them by a long way.

Just because you don't like the style doesn't mean you can make up whether we were competitive or not. We were competitive under MON and McCarthy, full stop. The results/tables/playoofs/qualifications don't lie. More than the style of play, Kenny needs to be moved on and I think the majority finally accept that.

Again, agree not a game changer but certainly brings a balance that should in term help midfield with moving the ball. Its a position that requires positional sense, a good engine, timing and being comfortable receiving the ball either in front or to feet.

Being a hard worker like McClean is not enough. ODowda, is simply not as good.

It was very funny to listen to Newstalk because they have moved on from outright support, to mental gymnastics . Specifically remembering why they supported Kenny so much. Basically implying their intentions were good so they must be correct!

There is some soul searching happening as they must feel a bit eejitry, with all the blind faith and flag waving they have done to 'support' Kenny with very little critical analysis of what was going on. They had forgotten they were supposed to be unbiased journalists/pundits.

Kenny Cunningham wasn't on, and he usually is over the top in his support of Stephen Kenny.

• Advertisement

You have your definition and i have mine.

I would rather try get to a euros or wc and try be competitive. Euro 2012 was an embarressment all round. Battered on the pitch and had JD buying pints and taking off his shoes to fans who were ignoring what was going on because they got a piss up.

2016 was a bit better but we got lucky that Italy had already qualified and we played there back up 11.

If we are to ever move forward a more progressive style is required. Kenny doesnt seem like the man for the job, he deserved his chance. I hope the next man in is of a similar vein and can bring the players on. He should also get a 4 year contract so they have time to build. No manager can do much in 2 years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement