Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

The minors had a bad loss Friday night.

After a reasonable start they were overwhelmed by what looks like a very good Mayo side.

Disappointed with a few players I would rate as being good footballers, having seen them at club level in the last few years, but it's very hard to guauge youngsters on their first day out.

For what it's worth there were quite a few physically small players on the team and with the exception of young Curran the others were easily dealt with by their larger and better opponents. IMO no team can really afford more than one or two really small players. It's a luxury and when the margins get finer it's one of the things that catches a team out. And that's not saying having a team of big mullockers is the answer, but I've never seen a team with more than two small players be successful.

They've got Galway away next week, which is unfortunate, as you'd hope if they had easier opposition it might ease them back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Big game on Sunday.

Regardless of the result, a big performance is required here. We've shown excellent consistency this year so far, but the challenge is to back up a good performance against MO with another one here.

Galway pose a different challenge to MO, in that closing up the inside line and the central channel won't be as effective, as Galway have some lads who can shoot from outside, unlike MO.

At the other end though, there will be opportunities I feel, as Galway have poor tacklers who grab on and tend to foul, so a good referee and free takers on form will be the winning and losing of it.

A good performance and be in with a shout coming down the stretch is what's required, and the result will look after itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

Completely agree oneeye. Performance key. Result will take car of itself.

If you give the ball away, you give the game away!

I'll have to look at the recording to see how many scores Galway got from Roscommon simply giving the ball away - but it was a lot. It was infuriating!!! That was definitely a game Roscommon could have won and won by 4 or 5 points at least. But kicking the ball over the sideline, handpasses to nowhere, skycraper 'passes' to Ben O'Carroll (the smallest forward we have), dropping simple handpasses.... It wasn't even that Galway forced the turnovers, this was down to very poor concentration from Roscommon.

The worst thing about this is that Roscommon virtually always put the head down once they are beaten in Connacht. Unlike Mayo, for example, they don't seem to embrace the qualifiers. If, and it's a big 'if', Roscommon look back at that game today with a bit of anger and realise they are every bit as good as Galway, who are regarded as serious contenders, they can really go for it.

Or they can feel sorry for themselves and put in half-hearted performances, going through the motions, exactly like they have done many times before.

I hope Davey Burke infuses them with the belief that they are good enough, if they just zone in for every single minute, every single play.

That one feels like it slipped away. The Comer goal critical, came at a crucial time and was the deciding factor.

We were competitive, we're still in the game late in and could have won it, but probably Galway slightly better over the 70 minutes (only slightly).

The improved consistency was there again which is good. We were slow though to really get going in the first half again, which is something to improve on. We killed ourselves at times with poor decisions and turnovers.

Lots to work on, but we'll placed to earn at least a Q final place and then who knows....

• Advertisement

I think the big thing now is we have 4 weeks to target 3 huge games, where squad will be key. We'll face a provincial champion. Could be galway again in salthill. Kerry in kilarney. Dublin in croker or the ulster champion. We might need to do our best in that game, but target game 2 and 3 to win. Especially the home game. The upside of today we can't get mayo again.

I wouldn't fear Galway again to be honest. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

1-10 Galway scored from turnovers a lot of that came from Roscommon giving the ball away under no pressure at all. That will have to be improved on for the upcoming group games.

The mighty dubs in croke park next... and by Jesus the look mighty again!

I don't know whether to be happy or sad.

That was definitely a game Roscommon left behind them. The cheap goal was the real killer. And also a number of relatively easy chances missed in the second half, espcially after being so clinical in the first.

Having said that, if I was offered a draw this morning I would have been happy to take it.

The key thing was the performance. Roscommon just went out and played. And f*ck the opposition. Just play the way you're able to play. And for a change Roscommon did exactly that and that's the most encouraging thing. I alluded in an earlier post that Roscommon just never seem too bothered in the back door, but today they looked like a top side for a lot of the match - very comfortable in possession, very composed, very disciplined in the tackle, very patient and very clinical.

It's obvious that Roscommon are playing to a very well-thought out gameplan, where the sum is greater than the parts - and it's working. I said it already, but playing this way, Roscommon are a match for any team in the country and even though the match was 'only' drawn, it can be looked at very positively and of course, Roscommon can learn so much from this match.

C'mon the Rossies!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i had no idea until last year of the croke park hoodoo haning over the rossies ,i didnt see the game today as we had vested interests in the las round of munster hurling games , but surly that's a highly positive result for Roscommon given that sligo and kildare will at least struggle to match that scoreline when they face the dubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

A great result for Roscommon for sure , in fact could so easily have been better and could have and should have possibly won it

The result was somewhat mute. The performance was key.

In some ways a blessing as it puts more pressure on the Dubs. And while we disappointed- need to push on now and top the group with two significant wins.

I think we just need to go out and win.

Forget about racking up big scores in order to outscore Dublin. That kind of approach can end up in disaster.

Just win. And keep playing in the same disciplined, calm, confident manner that has worked so far.

I honestly feel there's no need to fear anybody. Just keep doing what's working.

Well, a ten point win is not to be sneezed at, but it was a little careless at times.

Roscommon dominated the match, but missed a few goal chances in the first half, that if converted, would have made a very one-sided game out of it.

Sligo appeared to be under instruction in the first half to shoot from distance, which would appear to be a nod to Roscommon's much-improved defense, and it didn't really work, with a number of wild wides which simply gave possession back to Roscommon. Roscommon's kickouts were very good once again. I can't remember too many (if any) going astray.

Colin Walsh did well today and I'm glad for him. Donie came on and got two confidence-boosting points. McKeon was outstanding again. Ciarain Murtagh was very impressive again, but Diarmuid neds to work a little more on his right foot. He missed 1-3 off his right early on, but still played well.

It was one of those games where we got the win, but there were things to work on. Certainly can't take Kilare for granted, just go out and win. LIke today. Forget about big scores, just win.

Post edited by megadodge on

10 point win, and wouldn't have been flattered if the gap was twice that to be honest.

Missed a lot, including several goal chances in the first half that would have broken the Sligo resistance as Ruane's goal eventually did.

We were just OK, I'd say maybe 65/70 % of max speed. Good shoes fromMcKeon, O'Carroll, Ruane and a good debut from Walsh. The Murtagh lads and Enda did well, but overall a good performance rather than a great one.

Sligo were game but very limited, a typical Division 3 side. Once they kept in touch they were OK, actually moved the ball well at times, but once we got the goal they were fvcked.

Kildare next, still a test because they are so inconsistent it's hard to know which team will turn up. They are certainly playing for their and Glen Ryan's future, so they could go either way. 2 tough Sunday's for Roscommon in a row, recovery will be important this week before moving on to whe next thing.

We got the result we needed without the performance.

I didn't think we played well enough to even justify the 10 point victory tbh with you. I thought our performance was very mediocre especially when sligo were on the ball. Now that might have a lot to do with we had emptied the tank v the Dubs and it's hard to be as motivated for sligo.

onwards to tullamore and Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Match against Dublin 7 days earlier would have take plenty out of the Roscommon team and Sligo had two weeks to prepare. In Connacht final Galway beat Sligo by 14 points and Galway had a few weeks to prepare for that match. Score-line slightly harsh on Sligo. Exceptional shooting by Galway on the day (2-20 from 25 shots on goal)

Disappointing result and a very mixed performance.

People are talking about Mayo's inability to attack against a packed defence, but after today teams will be looking to send high balls in to our full back line. At an estimate, Kildare got 7-8 points from forward marks today. And they didn't look partiularly dangerous from play, so that makes their importance even more obvious, yet we never put a sweeper/second player in front of the obvious target man. That was strange.

Then, as we were looking a bit leggy, no subs were brought on when they still would have made a difference. Richard Hughes is a brilliant ball-carrier and very attack-oriented from deep, but was brought on when the game was virtually over. That was also strange.

The completely inconsequential Niall Kilroy was brought on to make absolutely no difference. That has been strange for years.

Enda was superb and kept showing up when needed. His final point which looked to have salvaged a draw was a brilliant score. McKeown also kept up his good form and consistently looked for the ball.

Ciarain Murtagh had a few very uncharacteristic wides. I still thought he played well, but by his very high standards he would have expected to have had 3 or 4 more points than he ended up with.

Ben O'Carroll did very well, though did seem to tire. Same with Dylan Ruane.

Having to travel in 6 days instead of a home match is a serious disadvantage, especially when for the first time I though Roscommon looked a bit tired today.

In fairness, they kept plugging at it and never stopped trying, which is always hugely important, but some carelessness and lack of discipline cost Roscommon dearly.

On a separate issue, there is a very, very strong rumour going round about the team out 'celebrating' after the Sligo match. And carrying on the following day.

For once the sources are quite reliable and it seems, even worse, a key player got injured while out and has not been able to tog out since.

I was astonished when I heard this. Nowadays you simply have to accept that the life of an intercounty footballer does not include alcohol in the middle of championship. Why go through months and months of intense preparation where every tiny thing is monitored, then smack bang in the middle of the time your body needs to be at its peak - you let the lads out on the piss. For two days!!

• Advertisement

Wouldn't mind getting Galway in Salthill, to be brutally honest. Surely, the revenge angle can be used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I thought it was only the team from your group (Kildare) that you cannot draw?

I could be wrong.

7-8 is an EXAGGERATION, {RTE report says 1 mark) and they weren't largely won in the fullback line, more in the halfback line. Still a problem, seemed like Kildare identified is dropping very deep and leaving a pocket outside which they exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Kildare scored at least 6 marks today. Feely kicked 3, Kirwan 2 and Dan Flynn got one as well.

Well RTE are WRONG then!!

I was at the bloody match and it was a substantial amount. And they were mainly won by whoever happened to be playing inside at the time, coming out onto long foot passes.

And they didn't even score all their attempts from marks.

5 I think, was a significant feature surely, as was our own shooting.

I don't know if it's what we're asking our forwards to do off the ball that's having an effect, but all 3 games in the group were winnable, and we left 2/3 behind through poor shooting largely, and it was also a factor in the Sligo game. I thought we looked one paced and leggy across the team yesterday, and I'd also question some of the selections and subs, but then I don't see training so we have to trust the selectors who do.

On to next weekend

Cork, a very winnable game

On paper, 4 weeks ago I would have said yes. Now after two flat performances in a row, Cork must be happy also.

Glad we didn’t get Donegal. Donegal have serious motivation to beat us after the league defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭paulbok

Home advantage and momentum especially, would have to see Cork as slight favourites.

Are there any injury worries reported after yesterday?

Advertisement