Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Still like the south of France up here! Extensive straw looking grass. Driving along the roads it's like piles of straw!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thankfully conditions improved in Meath after 1pm and we've had a relatively nice mild sunny day after a very wet morning, however showers look to be on their way, the thunder and lightning will probably die away once the showers get into Meath/Dublin as they usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

It’s really foggy in Dublin City!

Can see the big a$$ anvil from that previous Athlone / Tipp cell now fairly close to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As nice as the warm spell has been , i wonder how our marine life is doing, one or two degrees wouldn't really concern me but 4-5C seems quite extreme and a bit alarming .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

strange to see the Irish sea not really warming up like everywhere else, same with the waters off the se of England, maybe it was to do with the chilly east winds second half of May and 1st week of June.

so currently the sea surface anomaly off the Irish coast to our west and northwest is one of the highest in the world right now, don't see that changing much with the warm weather set to continue into July is almost certain at this stage.

I remember last summer the sea surface temperatures around the UK and Ireland were fairly warm too and it took several months for this anomaly to unravel itself which didnt do us any favours in the winter.

If the current warm pattern persists right through July and August (unlikely but we shall see), then our coastal waters are going to be very warm indeed by early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

I'm guessing part of the reason for the high build up of surface temperatures is the total lack of any wind or swell in the past 8 weeks or so in a large chunk of the Atlantic to our west. You'd sometimes get 2-3 weeks if blocking and no activity but this is fairly anomalous.

This has likely allowed a fairly strong thermocline to develop e.g. the top couple of metres are warming up like a lake and there is no wind or swell to create mixing to allow the colder water up to the surface. In a typical year you wouldn't go long before some wind or swell would be present in this area to our west. In the Irish sea, I'm guessing that the large tidal flushing present here never allows this thermocline to build up.

One big swell/storm event off the west coast would allow mixing and the restoration of cold waters to the surface. This is what I'm guessing, somebody else may be able to make a more accurate analysis.

Surely the Irish sea would have had winds coming from western UK though where it was quite hot? I'm wondering if it is some cold water upwelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Irish sea is as cold as usual. 100% not 4/5 degrees warmer where I swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Let's hope the temps come down before hurricane season!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interesting point, been a very quiet year and last couple of months with few deep Lp systems and very few storms, in fact the N Atlantic has been in very slow moving large scale calm patterns for a month or so now.

Always fascinated to see the track a Hurricane or Extra Tropical storm leaves in its wake as it sucks the heat out of the ocean and churns it up, can leave that track, as picked up by the satellite's, for a number of days.

Good video representation below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

The Irish sea absolutely is warmer than usual. By around 3º. And as someone who swims in the Irish sea regularly in summer you can absolutely feel it. Exception being the Antrim coast.

Not sure what people are talking about...

Besides, the Irish sea always takes longer to warm up than the Atlantic (deeper waters perhaps).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not just around our shores :( , I worry what kind of world my kids are going to live in when i'm long gone.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I swim the Irish sea regularly all year round. Kiliney was 14.5 degrees today apparently, which is slightly above what I'd have thought. But its far from an unusual temp.

I was out there yesterday and it felt the same as it always does this time of year. Baltic.

Just less baltic than the depths of winter.

I mean. I literally just posted a pic showing the difference in temps between this year and last year.

No disrespect, but what you “feel” and “would have thought” are no substitute for actual facts (which are in the pic I posted).

Also, it’s the Irish Sea. Any temp under 20° is probably going to feel “cold”.

But when parts of the Irish Sea are 16° instead of 13°, that’s absolutely massive. The extra heat required to heat a massive body of water by 3° is huge.

Also, every regular sea swimmer I’ve spoken to has said the same thing: the sea feels way warmer for June than ever before. No regular sea swimmer is calling it Baltic. It’s actually very bearable for the time of year.

Its well within max averages though. Its not some abnormal temp. Fair enough it's warmer than last year but I'm sure if I trawl back I'd find similar temps for other years.

I'm not swimming in 16 degrees. I swam in 14.5 and it felt the same as 13.5 to me.

Its not 4/5 degrees above normal which is what i was responding to with my OP. I know now it was the Atlantic not Irish being referenced.

I was thinking there's no way what i swam in yesterday was the same temperature as what I'd swim in in January in tenerife.

But you are swimming in 16°. Which is about 3° above average

Again, you need to stop letting your “feelings” or “thoughts” get in the way of actual facts.

ps: by all means, trawl back and find similar temps for mid-June in other years. I’d love to see them.

13.8 in 2014 on the same day. Not a million miles away. Again I'm not "feeling" anything. It was 14.5 in killiney today, not 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Shannon Apt mean max is still 23.7C to the 18th June, that would be 3 degrees above the previous June record if that were the final value. Unreal. On 21 consecutive days of 20C or greater too including every day this June so far.

Edit: In case there's confusion, I refer to the running record value when I say 3 degrees above.

Post edited by sryanbruen on

• Advertisement

Lol! Regardless of you guys all debating the temps, I don’t know how you do it swimming in the colds seas around here!

The med is about as cold as I like it! Even that has a chill when you first get in!

Sea temp in Dubai on my trip was 32c. Now that’s what I’m talking about! Comfort right from the get go!

Fair play to you all though. A lot of people enjoy a swim in the local waters

Honestly, even though it's bracing, that's half the fun. You really feel great after.

I wouldn't get in before late May mind, but in summer until late September it's actually not that bad.

Great for the skin. Great for the soul. You should honestly try it.

Also, you get used to it. For me the first drip in late May always feels so cold, but you get used to it the more you do it, and by late June or early July you start saying it feels 'mild' :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I would find 32C Sea temps quite unnerving and a little sickening. It would actually feel polluted to me. I like to feel refreshed when I go for a swim.

Swimming in Atlantic September waves in Ireland is a joy to behold.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, I would too. I love swimming in the Atlantic. I have to work myself up to take the plunge but when I do as you say it feels refreshing afterwards. Also as you mentioned it's good fun swimming in with the waves on a breezy day .

On a more serious note I heard a farmer was killed after he was struck by lightning yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If the rest of the summer is going to be like this, I don't think I'd be able to cope. The third summer in a row with excessive humidity non stop and ridiculously warm nights.

New Moon

I think a pattern change is coming with the end of the split jetstream, we will likely have more cooler weather from the north west to end June. The Azore high may pay a visit in July but hopefully there will be no humidity with it.

Suppose it has the same effects as having cold showers. Good for the nervous system

• Advertisement

It honestly doesn’t feel like that though. It’s a good bit less than a luke warm bath still. But no chill when you first get in. And with the air temp being around 40c it feels refreshing but never cold.

Advertisement