Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Just make sure you get a hybrid inverter fitted to ensure you can add a battery in the future. Make sure you don't install a system that only works with a limited number of other brands of batteries unless you want that as they can cost more to add brand tied batteries. That quote of €4800 for 5kWh battery is very high, you could almost get 10kWh for that.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

(Sarcasm Warning); 'But it's such a heavy lift into the attic, it weighs as much as a double oven, and has to be connected by a few metres of heavy power cable, like a double oven, then it has to be floor or wall mounted, like a double oven, then switched on, tested, like a.... Thats why installation adds two grand'...NOT like a double oven (€80 and they'll take out the old one for that).

If they can't lift them, don't sell them. Not all need to go into the attic btw. Asides from that €4800 for a 5kWh battery is a complete rip off no matter how you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Michael1927

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads any feedback on the above?

David Hunt reckons it's a good deal, haven't got other quotes just yet but if this looks good I'd likely just go with it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

So is that before or after grant deduction? If before take their hands off! If after it's still a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That's a decent quote, if it's with a local installer or someone you trust go for it if you don't want to keep looking for quotes. There might be cheaper out there so have a think about it before pulling the trigger. I have no experience with Growatt inverters so can't say anything about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Just a follow up to this.

The installer's insurance company has agreed to pay the 5 figure repair bill for my roof. It's great that they have agreed a settlement, but I could have done without all of the hassle involved over almost a year.

The installers have never filed any paperwork with the SEAI, so the grant has now lapsed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

What a nightmare of a time, glad you have a resolution though in the end of everything.

Has your roof been fixed or are you still waiting on that?

• Advertisement

I'm on that road now. The roofer that built the roof originally would be my choice, but he's uncertain about removing and restoring the panels. He works with the builder that provided the quote, so they'll probably get someone in to do the panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Did you just agree a lump sum with the insurance company and you have to arrange the work? Or they are organising things for you? Just interested to know how something like this works.

Long story short... They asked for a quote to get the damage fixed. They then sent out an adjuster to have a look at the damage. He agreed that the quoted figure was reasonable and the insurance company gave the go-ahead to get the work done and they will pay the bill.

I'm just really glad that the cowboys had insurance in place. Honestly, if they had admitted the damage instead of putting up the Bart Simpson defence, I would have agreed that they remove the panels while my roofer did the repairs, then put them back up. Denying they did any damage was what got my back up. I hope their insurance company screws them when renewal time comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Any comments welcome

20 X Jinko 415W panels ( 14 south east, 6 south west split)

solis 5kw string inverter.

€8570 after grant

add 3k for growatt 5kwh battery. Add 5k for 10kwh battery

Add 660 for hybrid inverter.

no Eddie as I have an air to water pump

BER NOT INCLUDED

I have got 7/8 quotes, this was the best and with a company I have got great feedback on. Win/win in that respect.

prob won’t opt for battery as we have 1 or 2 adults with 3 + kids at home all day. Have an ev but with free charging at work will only need top up at weekend maybe 30kwh as we do high mileage circa 40k kms per year. My take on it is anything not used get paid for export. Avoid pattern cost?

Good quote, check your usage times and if you might need more panels on the west if you can split them differently to take into account evening usage. Do the maths on a battery before discounting one, load shifting and being able to run certain things in power cuts for example are a plus so decide now if you might want to install a hybrid inverter in case you decide to get batteries down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Ya I hear you regards load shifting. Especially with the heat pump, but then again I run that on night rate as well as car so wouldn’t be load shifting the heavy items

been told by every quote this system will not work in a power cut. You’d need to be able to cut off power back to grid etc. now I’m sure you could do something yourself afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Guybrush Threepwood

Hi, Can anyone please advise if this is a good quote? It's significantly cheaper than one we got from another company who have a rep for being expensive, but that's not much to compare too!

5.88kw system

14 panels (tiger neo)

5kw inverter Huawei

3.68kw diverter & Eddi

€7900 after grant

System will be battery ready, but won't have a battery installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

The point is that you would charge up your 10kWh battery on the night rate; and use that during the day in the winter when solar PV is not going to be producing enough to run the house; or in the winter when it’s getting dark early.

But if you have a heat pump running during the day that will make short work of the 10kWh you stored.

You’re on a dumb day/night meter. So for now you would get paid “deemed” export so you can use the units to charge your car and you will still get paid an estimate of what you would have exported. but that is only for now; soon day / night compatible smart meters are going to be rolled out. So by the time you get up and running they will prob want to swap you off your current meter so they can correctly measure your export and only pay you for what you atcually export.

That's over ten grand before grant. Seems a bit steep to me. As advised here before, dump the Eddie, your feedin at 21c will pay for twice+ that in oil or gas hot water only heating (unless you have a heatpump which should also convert the solar to 3 times the HW kwh in HW mode). Heating with an immersion is mad, daytime its 5 times the cost of oil at the moment. You'd want the treasure on Monkey Island to pay for it #Guybrush, you gave me a real 90s nostalgia moment when I seen the name. 🏴‍☠️🦜

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kneelo77

Hi Folks,

Following on from the above quote, things have changed slightly. I've bumped it to 14* 430 panels to bring it up to 6.02kWp and asked for a 10k cycle 10kWh battery to be quoted for.

Three spearate companies have come back with a ~€14k quote, the main differences are:

1. Solis Inverter + 2* PureDrive PS2 5kWh batteries
    2. Livoltek All-in-one (Inverter + 2* integrated 5kWh batteries)
    3. MyEnergy Libbi with 10kWh (I already have a Zappi)

Both batteries are 10k cycle batteries and the rest of the bells and whistles (I need 4 optomisers, Eddi, BER etc) is the same.

I know the quotes are at the upper-end of things, but I'm stuck as to which system is better.

I was told to steer clear of the Libbi system because it's not all that performant/efficient and I really don't know enough to determine which of the other two is the better system. The 10k cycle battery, again was on advice given to me, to extend the lifetime of the battery. Based on 2-3 cycles per 24hrs, a 6000cycle would get 6-8 years from the battery, whereas a 10000 cycle would extend that to 9 - 13 years.

Hopefully someone who's more in the know that me can help. It would be nice to have the Libbi integration with the Eddi, and the Zappi I already have but don't want to fall into a trap. I'm keen on a good app, control and data visualisation etc. Maybe they all have that or are very similar to one another but it's hard to find info that's not marketing material.

Thanks!

Post edited by kneelo77 on

• Advertisement

All are expensive. I also wouldn't stress over battery cycles either. They all have the same battery chemistry.

Wondering what you heard about the Libbi?

It's nothing special, it's a kstar inverter just controlled remotely by the Libbi hub thing.

Haven't heard about the livotech so can't comment.

Solis : good inverter, but currently de rates itself to 3.6 kw after 15 minutes discharging from batteries [5kw for 15 mins, then 3.6 kw going on from that ]

From a technical point of view it would be very optimistic to expect to have enough sun, night rate, and demand, all year round, to ever achieve 3 full charge/discharge cycles per day. You're more likely looking at one if even that on average, but if someone has real world annual data on this I'd be interested to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kneelo77

Regarding the Libbi, just that it had extremely poor performance and tech support. But this was feedback from the company proposing the Livoltek. The fact that you haven't heard of the Livoltek would lead me to believe it's not very popular (or it's very new to market).

Missed the point about needing 2-3 cycles a day,

Getting 1 a day on average over the whole year is more like it, especially with a 10kwh battery, a cycle is 100%-0% or 100% - 50% twice etc. If your only discharging to 80 or 85% that's only 0.8-0.85 of a cycle. But round to 1 for easiness

Start of in winter, charge at night, discharge during the day, easy to get 1,

Spring/autumn, partial charge during the night top up during the day, discharge in the evening, still only 1

Summer, possibly an empty battery by morning, gets charged up by 1pm. It will sit full until the sun goes down again, and empty by morning.

Unless you have something that can drain the battery before the sun goes down, 1 per day is going to be it.

Staying in the myenergi ecosystem is very tempting, the Libbi is on the more premium side too, "doesn't perform as well" doesn't sit well with me, too vague. And it's literally just out too. I don't like it when sales are like the competitor is no good, ours is better, without qualifying why

Even one cycle/day is optimistic for a battery especially a large one with a modest number of panels. Charge and discharge losses, and inverter efficiency must be factored in, plus poorer charge inefficiency for the last 20% of the battery. If you had enough panels to return say 8kw/ day averaged over the year from a 10kw battery, this entirely free electricity will amount to 365 x 10 x 8 kwh after ten years. This 29,200 units at say 25c when prices finally return to the average will return €7300 on your 10kwh battery. If prices fall lower or if it being discharged during off peak rates then ireturn is less. You'll need several more years life from it before it makes financial sense. If you want to factor in time shifting, where you but night rate to use at morning peak before the Sun comes up, the same liseesxand inefficiencies apply, you will buy 12kwh to for back less than 10 out, so the savings per kwh are possibly single figures when prices finally return to sensible levels.

I suspect you could be looking at quantum improvements in battery technology during that next 5+ years, with prices tumbling down. This is one constant with evolving technology, a months pay worth of a new technology will collapse to a few days pay in a very short period of years. The first basic mobile phone here in 1985 cost €5k in todays money. A GSM Nokia was €300 at todays prices in 2001. By 2023 that standard of basic phone if available is a €25 throwaway.

Get a system with a battery option, get feed in on your excess, wait a year and see what a battery might save you if anything when you write it down over ten years. Be realistic about the efficiency of charge, discharge and inverter conversion efficiency. The latter doesn't matter when supplied by panels, but if you're paying to pump a battery full at night, only to lose 20% plus, the margins are very tight on your investment. Ten grand would probably install ventilation heat recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gabdoc

Down to 2 quotes now ,

1. 6.9 kwp,17 Hollywood niwa panels 5kw solis inverter and 1 weko 5.3 battery and all paperwork.12500 before grant
    2. 6.8 kwp 16 jinko Monocrystalline panels,1 solis 5kw inverter and 1 dryness 5.1 battery ,13200 before grant which do you think is better for a 2 person home with ground source heating and away all day at work thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Doing 1 cycle a day is easy enough - but like most things, depends on your situation. Here's my "battery in" for the last 6 months.

8.2Kwh battery (it's like a 9.x kwh under the hood) and if I'm putting in 220-230Kwhr a month into it, that's 230/8.2 = 28 cycles. So near enough to 1 a day. Doing more than that.....yeah, I could still do that with a bigger battery......but as deezell says above, financially it's dubious. (I'm not in it for the financials - well not as a primary motivation anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Hi all. I've been getting quotes from a few companies lately and the below seems most reasonable but would love to get some second opinions. I live in A2 rated new build with air source heat pump, currently using about 5000kwh p/a but have an EV on order which is expected in January so expect this to go up. The house is 3 storey so I'm assuming this increases install cost (but happy to be challenged on that). There's generally always someone in the house so not planning on a battery, but may upgrade at a later date once I get an idea of the savings made.

Solar Panels:

Jinko Solar Co., Ltd. 13 x 430 Watt Panels (JKM430N-54HL4R-B). 5.59 kW Total Solar Power

Inverter:

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. 5kW Total Inverter Rating

1 x SUN2000-5KTL-L1

Net price after grant = €7,500 includes BER and install costs

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Battery System (Alpha)

6.4kWp of modules kitted to 10.1kWh battery storage

16 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Alpha 5kWp Inverter kitted to 10.1kWh storage capacity

Costing

€13,148 (Exclusive of VAT)

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€10,748 Final Cost after Grant Incentive (Excluding VAT)

What do ye think?

• Advertisement

A decent quote, try haggle a bit if your going with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement