Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Why wasn't Kelly taken off straight away , sure he was in difficulty as soon as he turned on his ankle at the end there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Hes been off it since before his holiday. He was phoning it in for Kilmacud. Drifting in and out of games as he pleased.

Jack McGraths decision to carry into a heavy defence when recycling and running down the clock to get a draw at least was a real brainfart moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

More heartbreak this weekend. Going in I assumed Tyrone would win so was pretty comfortable with the situation in this game as even if we lost narrowly we were ok but the Tyrone draw really messed us up. However when youre relying on favours you are asking for trouble. Like the hurling in 2019 an unfortunate sequence of events but from our perspective we didn't perform and have a lot of questions to ask after that.

First off it's pathetic that we ended up with a squad of 24. Comer is a huge loss but very few others stepped up. I though McDaid and Cooke carried the fight but lots of non performances and 2 gilt edged goal chances left out there.

The kick out strategy was non existent and Armagh had a field day with shooting or delivering balls unopposed in the half forward line. We just looked disjointed all day.

Any of the 3 teams next weekend will be difficult. Even if we win we've made the road to a final extremely difficult and I haven't seen much to suggest this team is capable of winning an all ireland even one as poor as this 2023 championship.

At least we'll be playing another team on a downer after the weekend that's about the only positive I can take this evening.

It's been a tough couple of weeks but let's see if there's a reaction next weekend.

At this rate last Sunday might have been our last trip to Croke Park this year. Whatever about the hurlers it'd be a massive let down if the footballers dont at a minimum make thr quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Don't think we can play Roscommon so it's 50/50 Mayo or Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think we can play the Rossies as we didn't play them in a Connacht final.

• Advertisement

True. Not sure after that performance whether that's a good thing or bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Bad day. Kelly is out for a few weeks. Is comer badly injured?

Walsh is so off form it's worrying. He'd have scored that last free this time last year. And we needed it for a 2 week break.

Our play is too slow and predictable. We're very beatable. Armagh went for it and played great stuff. We look incapable of it.

Gleeson is worrying me again. Maher was in space on his own and totally ignored.

We're in big trouble.

Comer was hamstring Thursday night at training. Other than it being tight and not risked any other hamstring injury wouldn't usually recover in 10days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Poor judgement again, simple ball not collected at the end, misjudged the bounce and Armagh got a very very soft free as an outcome.

Lad was well bottled up but either slipped or threw himself down….never a free in my opinion.

Galway should have won pulling up, but they didnt put the game away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

That i think is it for this year. Comer Mchugh and Kelly very unlikely to feature next Sunday. Walsh and Burke hopeless AGAIN today. The amount of stupid stuff Walsh done today....you would swear it was his first game with them. Burke just spent the game standing near Raferty

McHugh a massive loss. Missed his drive and line breaking

From what should have been a few week break to a 1/4 final now becomes a struggle with key players injured...not good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Am I alone in thinking Walsh was ok (while probably not up to his standards). Two frees outside the 45 that nobody else would get near, one from play. Burke butchered the goal chance rather than him. The last free was bad but the wind was dead and wet ball at that point

That Comer hamstring news is a disaster. He's by far and away our most important player

He had ball in hand for a few more scorable ones, including frees, but missed them.

I thought he was below par considering the talent and what he can offer. His pace and talent mean he should be scoring 2 or 3 from play in every match. He had the ball longer than any other Galway player today but kept running down the sideline then just gave it back out to midfield.

He gave some very sloppy handpasses away too that Armagh got.

I'm very unsure about his free taking this year. Last year he was absolutely nailing long range frees with his right foot, even kicks slightly to the right hand side. Now he's kicking more with his left foot and out of the hands too. I'm just not as confident in his free taking. More variables kicking out of the hand.

Padraic Joyce isnt sure Comer will be fit for next weekend. Kelly surely won't be right for a few weeks. He couldn't even walk on that ankle.

All in all it's a disastrous outcome considering we'll possibly play Comer at some stage, might win but then play Kerry Derry or Dublin. Nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tellyium

I was roaring at the tv about the free Armagh got at the end but in fairness while watching the Sunday game, you can see that Conroy clipped his heel. Twas less harsh than I thought originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

There was worse than Walsh for sure. Sean Kelly is our best, thus most important player. Injury not too bad so I've heard currently. Half-forward and half-back lines need work and scrutiny; we're ran at too easily and conceding too many easy scores. Position no. 6 needs a strong hard looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Any word on Comer?

I know you've voiced concerns on Daly before but honestly he's near the last lad I'd be looking at. He had a couple of great defensive moments standing guys up on the break. Management need to hold their hands up tbh. Hernon, who I've time for, wasn't great. With all due respect to Billy Mannion, how on earth was he out there when there's Maher or Finnerty on the bench and Sweeney lost in the forwards. He looked like a timid underage player turning back constantly.

McGraths had a fabulous year but my god his foray forward with 30 seconds left has cost us massively

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Watched it back. Not convinced he clipped him at all. Looked more like Murnin knew had no support up with him so decided he was going to go down when he felt any contact from the closing Galway players. Conroy laid a hand on his lower back (with no real force though) and he just tumbled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I hope we get Mayo tomorrow, they are headless when pressure is put on them. I expect Comer will play a role maybe as a sub, Kelly is hardy and will make it after plenty ice and pain killers, looks like a kick to the ankle bone, McHugh will be back. Time to put Maher in midfield and McDaid back to half back or Sweeney. We didn't take chances today and had poor turnovers, loads of room for improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Agreed. I put this loss on management, they took armagh for granted and thought sure if we lose Tyrone will be beat westmeath. It was blatantly obvious that all the armagh scores were coming down Billy mannions wing and they did nothing about it, hernon and mcgrath are still very green, so having 3 of your 6 backs relatively new to intercounty football was asking for trouble.

Mayo it is. There is no getting away from them

• Advertisement

So next weekend we're playing our 2 biggest rivals to stay in the championship should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭I see sheep

When is the hurling venue announced?

Both Hurling & Football on Sat?

Hurling is Saturday no venue yet. Football will be prime time Sunday I say

I don't think we are being given the full story on Shane Walsh tbh. In the warm up Shane Walsh did not take one practice free off the ground. Peter Cooke and Mattie Tierney were both practicing. And then in the game in the first half Peter Cooke took the only shot off the ground. Walsh seemed to be struggling with his ankles in the Westmeath game and I'm wondering are they bothering him enough not to be kicking off the ground.

Penalty was a bit strange as Johnny Heaney had the ball in his hand up until the last second when he handed it to Walsh. But in hindsight this may of just been a ploy learnt from the Messi and the lads as I've seen it done where a decoy holds the ball to stop the actually player getting the verbals before he strikes. Seeing what Walsh was put through taking the last free I can understand the logic........

I've less issue with what he missed against a few of the very sloppy passes he gave leading to turnovers. Basic stuff for a lad of his talent. It's a game we should of won. Walsh missed a penalty and two frees. Conroy missed a mark. Those dead balls alone are by Galway's standards straight forward.

Like the hurlers in 2019 enough transpired against us. Breeze completely dying in the second half (was very strong for the first 20 mins) and then Tyrone not winning but in the end if the lads did their job these things shouldn't of mattered.

Billy Mannion strange one. Maher deserves to start. I wanted Mayo next but if we have no Kelly, Comer and McHugh it's a struggle.

It's a nightmare scenario compared to what the plan was less than 24 hours ago.

To have no 2 week break, a bad looking injury to our best player Kelly, our other best performing player Comer is doubtful along with McHugh and we're playing Mayo. Christ, if Padraic Joyce woke up yesterday morning with that thought in his head he'd be relieved it was just a bad dream....

Based on our slow style of play, scores being so hard to come by, Walsh not being anywhere near his best, the slow and often inaccurate kickouts, the injuries, and now being paired with Mayo, I'm more pessimistic than optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

It's a tough life being a Galway fan. A week of heartbreak and could very likely be knocked out by our biggest rivals at the weekend. Rotten!

Walsh and Tierney badly need to sort themselves for Sunday. Both look bereft of confidence this championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Both are of our own doing. Footballers now have an impossible task. Get over Mayo ( unlikely if Comer Kelly and McHugh out ) and then a week turnaround to a rested Dublin, Kerry or Derry. As I posted after game I'm afraid that is that and it will be a year we will look back on and say ' if only ' on both codes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The aul doom and gloom of Monday morning is there over on our thread too, guaranteed both sets of fans will gradually get more optimistic as the week goes on and will be raring to go come throw in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I think the injury front is a big concern for Galway. We'll be likely missing our two best players judging by yesterday.

Advertisement