Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cork are a decent team. Consistency has been there problem. They ran Kerry very close and probably should have won the game. Cork has finished strongly in the game's against Louth, Kerry and Mayo. As well as Galway they are the team third placed teams will not want to draw.

The disrespect show to them by Mayo is the main reason Mayo lost.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

I was replying to a poster that said that Cork were not a decent team. I think I saw somewhere this morning where Lee Keegan questioned there consistently.

It was evident for the last week on this forum.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

"Disrespect the main reason Mayo lost" gimme a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I really hope Mayo get Galway in the draw.

It's either the end of it or they get a huge confidence boost.

But it is so annoying to see all the good vibes from the league and even the Kerry game melting away.

I don't want to be captain hindsight but I'm always wary of teams over performing in the league, it often doesn't translate to the championship.

I really hope management are not to stubborn to ignore the Loftus problem and go and do something about it.

But they also need to find a way to attack massed defenses, and have little time to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

I agree with this. I felt today before the game that's the game could have been a 2011 moment with the rolls reversed. Mayo caught Cork out that day as Cork were overwhelming favourites. Today Cork were underdogs and rightly so and nobody even myself expected Cork to beat Mayo. The way they did it proves Cork aren't a very bad team as a poster on here suggested. They matched Kerry and probably could have won the game if few things are gone different for them. They just aren't consistent and that's really the issue they must get right. If they were to get past whoever they play next weekend, then nobody would expect anymore of them as they would have got beyond what was expected of them.

I'm not sure where Mayo are at right now. After today I can't see them winning an All Ireland. They were poor today and simply were second best to Cork for most of the game.

On another more light hearted note, a poster from Galway was taking a swipe at Aiden O'Shea and his late free on the main thread after the Mayo loss, possibly the lowest of low hanging fruit that.

We'll curiously the same poster has yet to reappear on the same thread, wonder if his/hers own counties cock up had anything to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

The usual rubbish cliches thrown out.

After we lost to Roscommon, Davy Burke reckoned they were being disrespected. Now apparently we're disrespecting Cork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Fairly sure Callinan was injured.

Always a meltdown when Mayo lose but I'd agree with most of that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mayo showed Cork too much respect if anything.

Mayo are a much better team than Cork but still managed to blow it badly against them today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

Hah yeah, I thought it was humorous that Aido dropped a free short when a point was needed. Nowhere near as bad as McGrath running down a blind with 30 seconds to go when a draw was needed, as I've said on the Galway thread. Galway were equally as bad as Mayo today

Have you returned, as a middle aged man, to making creepy posts about naked women in After Hours? And that's the least of what you've been posting about. You'd wanna have a tad more self awareness buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

nah, they won but still only had about 4 fans there to witness it.

if they make the quarters Cork people will most likely suddenly remember they have a football team again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Wasn't he still on the bench?

Galway in Salthill, at least one set of supporters will have to shut up.for the summer

No harm Bass but that's complete nonsense, Cork have been on div 2 for 6 or 7 years now, were in the running for relegation up until the second last game of the league, have one championship win of note in 10 years, which they followed up by losing to Tipperary. Mayo should be looking at teams like that and thinking they should beat them. The spread was 6 points, it's not disrespect, it's just calling what you see.

We didn't lose because we disrespected them, we fell asleep when 6 points ahead and blew it.

Roscommon should be looking at them and thinking we'll win this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Even if Comer and Kelly aren't there next weekend, I do not think we will win. We're not in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Happy it's Galway, the bounce from the win from a morale point of view , whoever gets it should put them back in contention.

Cork will be thinking the same. Mayo were so called crowned All Ireland champions for 2023 and were the team to beat. Cork made them look very ordinary yesterday.

Post edited by Seadin on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Who had Mayo crowned All Ireland champions? Was there a single person saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Very hard for either team to win it from here. Winner will end up with 3 games in 14 days. Teams already in 1/4 final have huge advantage

Keep up. When Mayo lose a game, we're arrogant, disrespectful pr1cks who think we are All Ireland champions in waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

We are not contenders and I think most Mayo fans do realise this as we have too many ordinary good footballers and not enough serious footballers to win it out. Cork are pretty ordinary at best. That defensive **** will get you only so far and come a semi/final, will be put away quite easly by the better teams. Mayo are a better team overall and should have seen it out but because we lack quality in certain areas, things happen and teams get back in. This has always been the case with us and that is why we give everyone a chance when they play us.

We have two teams who should have won yesterday (Mayo/Galway), so its hard to know who will win, probably Galway are in a better place. Either way, neither will win SAM.

If we did have to play Galway I'd have preferred Croke Park, bigger pitch would suit us IMO.

Hard to be optimistic after yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think the win will give Cork a lot of confidence after the Kerry result too. Sometimes a good result like Mayo in 2011 v us can do wonders for a team. There is very little between most of the teams left with Kerry and Dublin on a good day a level above the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The one positive is that it isn't in Castlebar - I would give us more of a chance of beating Galway in Salthill than at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

From a Cork perspective, a lot depends on what happens next - if ye can go on and beat Roscommon in PUC, ye'll have beaten 2 D1 teams in a row and while ye probably won't be considered contenders this year, ye'd be among the favourites to get promoted next year and hopefully give Kerry a good game in Munster. If ye lose to Roscommon though, I think this game will be looked at as a flash in the pan

Galway v Mayo is a good draw for both teams - the local rivalry makes it a bit easier for both management teams to get the players mentally focused on the game. It'd a huge ask for either to win Sam from here though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

i dont disagree, really. i don't think we disrespected them, however, MAyo just wore the clock down in the first half. same as louth. then when they put the pressure on, they realised that cork too, only wore the clock down in the first half. if mayo played football in the first half, I think fitness would have carried us thru, as it happens, we relied on skill, and it turns out, we don't have it, Why in gods name did AOS lob a high ball into a square, where there was no aiden o shea in there to catch it.? beggars belief.

Replying to my own post here, but something not to be ignored from yesterday when look at the pitch size list:

Pearse Stadium has 1,800sqm more pitch than either Limerick or Castlebar. The lack of width especially huts us when playing against a blanket.

Given we play in McHale more than anywhere we should be able to get over that problem though

• Advertisement

I think you and many other Mayo fans, just can't accept that Cork on yesterdays game were the better team. We scored more in the first half and second half. We all know in Cork that our football team aren't world beaters and if they win next weekend we can't expect them to go much further. We don't have enough quality players. But in fairness they gave Kerry a bit of a scare as well and could have won that game on another day.

Mayo have had great footballers on disposal since 2012 and the fact they have never won an All Ireland with all the chances they got, suggests to me that something is seriously wrong in the setup. They really need to start getting in a top sports psychologist into the setup, pay money for it and address the reasons why Mayo are always coming up short even when they have been good enough to win. Don't mind Cork we don't have the good players you have right now or since 2011.

You see exactly disrespect. Cork could have beat Dublin in the league this year except for the referee. There loss against Derry in the first league game along with the Dublin loss scuppered there chance of promotion. Yes they list to Clare in the Munster championship.

However there performances against Louth and Kerry should have been a warning. They should have beat us and we're unlucky not to. I actually fancy them against Roscommon especially in Cork. They are a hard running team and have a few decent forwards. Cleary has seemed to have sorted out some of the set up there.

That is not the first or second time Aidan O Shea made an error in a match. 2016 AI final he did exactly the same with a sideline ball. He was never a natural freetaker and why he was put on them is a question. As well you have to ask why COC was not on the bench if he was good enough to play a club match he was good enough to be on the bench.

Did AOS get instructions to go for goal or was it just he did not put enough power on it to get it over the bar

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The very end of the match would have me slightly worried. Aidan O'Shea is good on the frees that are from a tight angle around the 21 yard line, and does a great job in curling them over. But at the end of the day, Ryan O'Donoghie is our set free-taker. Taking a free on the last play of the game and needing the free to go over, involves a lot more variables than just the skills to do it. Nerves will play a part. A player would need to have been in the position with experience on how to handle those nerves and keep composure. The free was slightly to the right, but well within Ryan O'Donoghues limits. Aidan gestured over to the line, and it seems they gave him the go-ahead. I know hindsight is great, but I think management should have known better.

Alternatively, I would be even more worried, if they advised him to toss the ball into the square and hope for a goal . 1. that they should have known a point would have brought us to second in the group. Whilst that is not ideal, it would be better to have a home tie against the likes of Tyrone or Monaghan. They should have had one person labeled with keeping fully up to speed on the scores from all matches, and the possible permutations. And 2. if they were going for goal, that they had our biggest player taking the free, and not having him as the target man. That would be beyond belief.

Absolute nonsense! You said there is something wrong in the setup as if the setup has been constant since 2012.

As for a sports psychologist; do you honestly believe that Mayo haven't got one.

By the way, everyone here accepts that Cork were the better team yesterday. No one is denying that. What people are saying is that Mayo are objectively a better team (i.e. D1 vs D2) and because of that it's hugely disappointing they didn't win especially seeing as they were 6 points up. It's not a slight on Cork, rather a poor reflection on Mayo management and players.

You have to think he got the instruction to go for point as otherwise he should have been inside. If not it shows on field decision making under pressure is well off. If the instruction did come from the sideline it should have been for Ryan or Reape to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Keegan was the real great footballer - we only had one and a few tipped into that area for periods, the rest were good footballers. That is why we lost every final. It was probably a lack of quality in certain positions that cost us eventually, that is why we were so close. The extra bit of quality we required in goals, full back, forwards over the years etc. It was a very thin lack of quality but the impact of this lack of quality was huge.

Cork were better yesterday, no doubt but it wasn't because of Cork were outstanding. It was because we didn't do the basic defending and the game sung to you.

• Advertisement

"Cork could have beat Dublin in the league this year except for the referee."

Such pointless debates on here.

Mayo would have beat Cork if their full back got sent off for the hammer fist to the head!

It's not disrespectful to Cork saying Mayo were favorites yesterday and should have won when 6 points up.

Completely separate, massive weekend in club football. Parke got the win v Charlestown, beat them handy, should be enough to keep them up, huge result for them, should put them right in the running for the inter championship given how young they are. 

Davitts beat Breaffy well, again should be enough to let them finish second from bottom at least, they'll beat Kiltimagh in the playoff. 

Looking like Charlestown v Breaffy in a relegation playoff. 

" It's not disrespectful to Cork saying Mayo were favorites yesterday and should have won when 6 points up"

I'm just saying that game is 70 mins long not 50 mins. In that time Cork scored 1-06 without reply from Mayo. How do Mayo think they deserve to win when they allowed that amount of scores without adding to the scoreboard themselves? Afterall sure Cork are a poor and average D2 team as stated by someone on here.

Just saying.

• Advertisement

Can you please point out who said Mayo deserved to win yesterday?

This is a Mayo discussion forum and people are going to discuss the fact that Mayo gave up a 6 point lead to lose by 3.

Jesus no one is saying Mayo deserved to win 🙈

What people are saying is that Mayo should be beating Cork.

I totally agree. I don't disagree with you on that.

What are people views on bringing young lads (7&9) on the terrace in Pearse Stadium? Would expect a big enough crowd for this one and pretty sure the stand will be taken by season tickets. In my experience once you get much over 16k mark in Salthill the terrace is not the most comfortable spot, especially on the sideline and Rockbarton road end. Maybe behind the goal on the Threadneedle road end?

2pm on Sunday according to PP website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

From what I could see McStay was telling him to drop it in short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Yea. The last kick was intentionally dropped short. Aos should have been playing puck in the square to get a goal, not taking the free. For which he has been notoriously bad at in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

McStay has confirmed that AOS was told to go for the point, that they knew it would be enough to finish second. He just left it short

Brought one of mine when he was 7 or 8 to Galway v Mayo in 2017 or 2018, can't remember

No bother, was in the Threadneedle RD terrace, no space issues or anything not too packed at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement