Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selecting a broadband supplier under NBI?

Options
  • 21-04-2023 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Thet are connecting the houses on my road right now.

How do I go about selecting a provider when it is up and running at my house? There are a number of providers on the NBI website. I assume they are all nationwide and it just a thing of being switched on? Is price and customer service the only factors to be considered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Signed up to eir today. They were going door to door in my area. 45e per month for two year.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

Eir are forcing NBI customers to the 1GB and 24 month contract while non NBI customers can avail of the cheaper 12months and 500mb contract. Vodadone can offer it though so it seems like a money grab, as unvoidable increases will occur in April and will still be in contract

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

I rang Eir on Friday, the day before previous poster got their deal, and they told me that i had to take Eir TV (which I don't need/want) as well as 1Gb and it was €55 per month for 2 years!

seems inconsistent - to say the least

when I look at most other providers (have not rung them) it seems like they offer a short time at a low rate and then push the rate up

eg Digiweb offer €29.95 pm for 3 months and 59.95 after that (500Mb on 12 month contract)

Vodafone offer €35pm for a year then €60 when the 12 month contract ends (500Mb)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I learned the hard way. NEVER sign up to anyone via door to door. Especially Eir. 2 year at 45 is bullshit. You have been taken for a ride.

Sky Offering 30p/m for 500mb. 12 month

Eir themselves offering 35p/m for 12 month contract.

Sky offering 1gb for 40p/m

Maybe if your getting 1gb it's not that bad, but do you definitely need 1gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Eir at €45 per month for 2 years is not that bad. (I am in no way affiliated with Eir)

Sky are €30 p/m for 500Mb but €60p/m after that - so the same money for 2 years (for half the speed)

Eir do not offer €35p/m for NBI broadband - only for their own broadband

Sky's 1gb , is again for 12 months, do costs more if you look at 2 years

Note also that Eir are offering me half price on a sim only mobile (€9.99 p/m) on the plan which as I will be using this makes the deal look better

I agree with the no real need for 1Gb but that is what is available

• Advertisement

Your calculations don't account for changing suppliers or negotiating for new contract with existing provider after 12 months. Why would you continue to pay 60p/m after contract is up?

When I input my eircode it gives me option for 500@ 12 mnths with eir. I'm in nbi area, nowhere near eirs own network area.

EDIT: seems the Eir 500mb 12 month option is only available through bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Note too that Eir apply the CPI increase every April. I asked them previously that if I signed up on a 2 year deal say in June would you get hit twice with a CPI increase both Aprils and they said yes. For this reason the 12 month version would be preffered for me at least as you could negotiate or move provider if you wanted

Vodafone were here today. 30e a month for 12 months 500mb. I think that I'll go with them

I tried to contact eir on Monday. The experience brought back all the bad memories from when I was previously was with them. I am going to cancel the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have the same questions. I have just been told I can pre-order for NBI, though I am not sure what advantage there is in pre-ordering, it will be about 12 months according to previous information, for some reason they are not saying when connection is due now.

So there is a list of about 22 providers. One is Eir who completely lost me with their messing when I was last trying to close my account when I moved house. Vodafone is another that I have experience of, also messers to some extent but maybe not to Eir standards. The rest are a mystery. It t looks as though I have time to work through them and figure them out. To some extent the cost is slightly less important than efficient service that does not involve hours listening to phone music or inane ads when I try to contact them.

• Advertisement

Eir sent me a letter which I got today. They are scheduled to install end of July, that is when the guy from Vodafone advised me that it will be operational.

Have you noticed KN Networks vans in your area? That's a sign that it's close.

There have been Vodofone vans around the place, saw one a couple of times today. There have been numerous NBI vans around for the past 6 months or more, and rolls of cable attached to telegraph poles nearby. The last word was Jan to June of 2024 so presumably it will be on time for that.

Vodafone recently changed my phone 'contract' - its only me has the contract I think, they don't seem to be held by it - saying that in response to my agreement they were charging me a higher fee. Only a €5 but I was annoyed because I had had no notification. They tried to tell me that I had had a n email and messages but when I insisted I had not they checked it up and agreed that I had not. So they gave me some sort of amazing deal that meant I ended up continuing with my current charge for 12 months, then it will go up. Their argument was that since I had not responded to the email etc (that I didn't get) I was by default agreeing to them changing my contract.

The other smaller players all seem to be offering the same deal so its really just a matter of guessing which one looks most reliable, or has the prettiest logo or something.

EXTREMELY good idea. Eir 🤮. I had good experience with Vodafone in thr past

It occurs to me that going through the list and omitting all the ones that are not actually in or near the area would be a good start, even though they claim to do the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭billyhead

Do you need a fixed landline with the likes of these operators?

Fibre from NBI replaces traditional copper landline. Copper will be phased out over coming years and likely operators won't supply you with copper in rural areas if you have fibre available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭Guffy

I hot sky last year, NBI installed the line.

Rang sky to cancel before looking around and they told me you cant move bb from the original provider who got it in.

Anyone know if that is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not correct, once your contract period has passed you can go where you want.

Just get onto your new service provider who will do the port over.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭RobiePAX

Complete BS and grounds for complaints for misinformation. Any NBI provider can port (take over) the line as long as you provide them with correct information which can be found on your current bill.

I presume the operator you spoke to thinks this is true. As its a common issue that sky are unable to port onto their system from any other provider.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058266271/fibre-switching-issue-vodafone-sky-nbi/p1

• Advertisement

@billyhead

Well the conversation I had with the salesman would suggest that. They schedule an installation date. The card that the Vodafone guy left said 30e per month for 500mb & calls

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks. Is that 30 a month for 12 months. It says 35 online. When you say calls is that for a landline?

It's probably Internet calls. It doesn't really impact me. Yeah the sales man did say it was better than online offer. One month free

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rhinosaurious

By any chance could you pm me a picture of this card, maybe i could get in on this deal aswell lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

Contract up in two weeks with Vodafone. Price heading to 40 per month for 500mb connection.

Wondering if anyone has switched provider recently and what is the best deals going? Attempted to join sky but annoyingly can't be done on nbi and only way of joining with sky is as a first time connection to nbi and not switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

This is more of a technical question, but it's about selecting an ISP on NBI, so I reckon it's better here than a new thread.

Does anybody know which, if any ISPs do NOT require PPPoE on NBI? I believe Eir can use DHCP/IPoE, but are there any others? I am considering Blacknight, but they use PPPoE.

This is not a deal-breaker or anything like it. I'm just curious if anyone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They all use PPPoE except Eir. Pure is the only other one that might do it as they usually just resell Eir, you even get an Eir IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Thanks for the info. As expected really.

Advertisement