Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Biden closes gun control speech in USA with 'God save the Queen'

Options
  • 19-06-2023 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

At the weekend Joe Biden seemed to get a bit confused when he came off the teleprompter and finished his speech. He closed his speech with the phrase "God Save the Queen", before looking around to figure out where to walk offstage. Look at all the video and controversy circulating online. He definitely was not speaking to someone in the audience.

Even if he now thinks he is British, is he not aware that the Queen is dead? What next, will he say God save the Black 'n Tans, oh he meant the all blacks, and the two islands the All Blacks are from should be reunited back together same as all groups of islands are united everywhere? He is liable to say anything. Many Americans are calling for their 25th amendment to be invoked.

Threadbans

Francis McM

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

To be fair, if trump threw out a 'good save the Queen' during one of his speeches, that'd leave people scratching their head too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Still with the deflecting eh? I suppose it's hard to defend Biden's missteps (and falls!), general befuddlement and faux pas, and bizarre ramblings on stage.

Plenty of videos on YouTube demonstrating all the above. Try Sky News Australia for one. Even if you disagree with the editorial/narrative, the videos themselves are undeniable (unless you are going to tell me they're edited or something)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Still with the faux concern, eh?

I've better things to do than make your argument for you.

The Trumpsters spent years defending their demented Nazi champion and I'm now supposed to believe that they're genuinely concerned about Biden's mental state (Remember all the whatabotueries about Hilary's emails?). Even if Joe is unfit for office, how on earth did he defeat the King of the MAGA loons? Some serious cognitive dissonance there.

Finally, yes. Joe Biden is an old man and a bit gaffe prone. It's no ideal but the choice was between a seasoned and experienced democrat and a talking tumour. It's a no brainer.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Astartes

It's God save the King now, Joe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Many Americans are not calling for 25th amendment to be invoked because for a start they would not have a clue what the 25th amendment is and your opinions are definitely not facts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

DeSantis is even more of a moron than Trump which is saying something. Funny how Biden is a laughing stock and yet manages to consistently beat the GOP while delivering for real Americans.

I meant "literal". He attempted a coup. That's simply a fact. The problem with coups is that you need brains, organisation and discipline to execute them properly, not hordes of decadent white trash.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but he's not a literal Nazi. You will not find Trump's name in any Nazi (or Neo-Nazi) party list. Thats literal Nazi for you. Figurative Nazi would be someone who you are comparing to the Nazis.

Ignoring the vitriol and baiting in your first paragraph and addressing the issue, I'm not a desantis fan either, I was referring to the challenger candidate. Someone that could run in the primaries, defeat biden and win an election. I genuinely think the next election is no foregone conclusion for the democrats at this point if biden runs. Considering that the most votes ever received #1 and #2 were both in the last election, it's clear that it brings out voters on both sides. What's also clear is the 20-25 percentage points that Trump will receive from MAGA republicans and likely would receive even if he is in prison. There's also a larger amount probably 30-35 percentage points of the voter base that will vote for ABT anyone but trump regardless of affiliation - so if trump runs they vote for whoever the democrats run. That leaves ~35-45% of the voter base remaining. Who is best placed to take that cohort is who will win the next election. I can't really see who is more likely to win that, given. that Biden is a laughing stock and Trump lost to him as the incumbent

Ah you're all over the place now - you asked for evidence.. I pointed you to it. In fact, I'd feel confident that you've seen the video that prompted this thread and many like it (if not it's in the OPs link - complete with his trademark "where do I go now?" finish and shuffle off), but if you want to write it off as just "gaffe prone" then work away - after all its what most of the US media seem to be doing. There are none so blind as those who will not see!

And again with the Trump deflection. You need to let it go.. he's the EX-President not the one stumbling about the place making speeches with "God save the Queen!" at the end. Trump whataboutery has nothing to do with this particular topic. It's amazing how obsessed some still are with the guy!

If your argument that he's not a Nazi is that he's not a card-carrying member of an official Nazi party then that's a very weak argument.

I'm not interested in baseless numbers. The MAGA pool has been tapped out for all the votes it has and it won't vote for anyone but Trump. If he runs, the Democrats win. If he doesn't, the Democrats still win because the MAGA loons won't vote for anyone but Trump. There's still a sizeable GOP voter base but it won't be enough if Trump splits the right wing vote.

Calling Biden a laughing stock is just pathetic to be honest given what you've spent the past 7-8 years defending. The GOP can trot out DeSantis or whatever other blathering moron they want, it won't make a difference.

No, you just told me to make your argument for you. I've never pretended that Biden isn't gaffe prone but give that the Trumpster cult defended their cancerous idol after he suggested injecting bleach to cure covid, I can take this latest conspiracy theory as anything other than hysterics.

No evidence. Let's leave it there.

• Advertisement

You seem incapable of recognising the fundamental point here - the two are not linked. Biden and his behaviours are no relation to Trump and his.

You seem determined to ignore the points raised on Biden and your efforts to redirect/deflect to Trump are wasted on me as I see right through it for what it is.

There's a massive thread on Trump if you want to discuss his failings there. I might even agree with a lot of them, but none of that changes that we're talking about Biden and his latest "gaffe".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Is it any wonder Boards is a mess, when threads like this one turn into a whataboutery shitshows.

Trump is an awful man who will probably be in jail within 18-24 months. But this isn't about him.

Biden, who I believe has the best interests of the American people at heart, is doing himself and the office of President no good running again. He looks like a man who's powers are fading and that can't be a good look for the US especially when dealing with foreign powers. Friend or foe.

It says a lot about American politics that he is the only one the democrats have faith in to defeat Trump, but they've been barreling down this road for decades so maybe this was the inevitable outcome of a two party system that is open to corruption.

Biden should step down at the end of this session as president and let someone else take on the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I fundamentally disagree that he has the American people's best wishes at heart. He's a bad person.

And yet he's massively improved the US' standing in the world after the disaster his predecessor created.

This is the ultimate consequence of locking down whatever excuse of a democracy the US has into a two-horse race. Trump should never have been allowed in given that he lost the popular vote in 2016 but we are where we are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to CA where the thread is more suited.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

The bigger problem though, and it's one which we here in Ireland are enthusiastically importing ourselves, is the US is so split and divided politically, economically and socially that there probably IS no-one else (on either "side") who could change any of that for the better. Of the current forerunners, is there ANYONE who could inspire confidence?

America's time in the sun is over and the way things are going, it could ultimately end up in a USxit for various States yet!

This is what 20 years of social media crusading, identity politics and victimhood have created - a former Superpower reduced to a laughing stock and on the brink of collapse on several fronts. It's no wonder the likes of Putin are feeling their oats! While America consumes itself on Transgender issues, Putin is trying to consume Ukraine and beyond if he succeeds. Why wouldn't he? There's no deterrent and outside of the West, not many care about these crusades.

But as I mentioned, we're soaking up the worst of it all too as a browse through the CA forum will show and even more dangerously, Helen McEntee's "Hatred" bill which if successful will restrict and criminalise the right to even discuss these things because it might offend someone else!

The people underplaying Biden's conclusion to a speech in Connecticut with the words, "God Save the Queen", would have exactly the opposite opinion had a Republican leader done the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

This one is about Biden who, from seeing the video in question and numerous others, is clearly mentally and medically unfit for office.

Clearly both of them are mentally and medically unfit for office. They need to get new candidates.

Yep.. it really baffles me that in a country the size of America, the options are Biden, Trump or Hillary Clinton!

I know this is mainly down to the way their political system works but that surely proves how fundamentally broken it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

In fairness I wouldn’t use Sky News Australia as a source for anything. Has nothing to do with Sky anymore; still owned by Murdoch and has a hard right narrative. So it’s more like Fox News Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I dont know about the man himself except he's been with the democrat hawks literally for decades and his administration is the first in a long time who has us at the brink of war with Russia and China.

Ye but besides that he's pretty harmless.

That's why I said it's not the editorial/narrative that should be focussed on but the videos they are highlighting and the concerns they raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

What happened to you America?... you used to be cool!

America was never cool. It was a nation founded on ethnic extermination, and slavery and it still hasn't shaken that legacy, nor will it in our lifetimes.

(it does produce some fine movies and music though, I grant you!)

Much like a lot of Europe then really! It was different times. Not saying it was or is right, but that's how countries expanded and increased their power back then.

The problem now though in 2023 is how America is eating itself with a lot of self-manufactured problems and issues to sow further internal division and conflict, and the impact that is having not just on the US itself but the rest of the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Yeah, other places have bad legacies too, but other places have got over them. America never has. Even if you think of a "golden era" between, say FDR and JFK, it was still not a place that was good or safe to live for a lot of the population, what with segregation, and lynchings. Things like that just didn't happen any more in Europe during the same period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is Hillary even an option any more? DeSantis seems to be going the Trump route. Complaining about woke things, but screwing up what he's trying to do and hurting his own constituents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Europe only recently had some stability after basically wiping each other out in WW2. Even after that you had literal facists in Spain and half of Europe under communist dictatorship.

There's a lot of droning on about the US here, you are too focused on the noise. Look at the real factors. Still the only country that can influence and project force globally, still the dominant economy, still the dominant military and this is the US in their version of peace mode, maintaining the status quo. They haven't actually felt vulnerable since maybe the cuban missile crisis. 9/11 was a bit of an aberration and they basically changed the world for two decades in response. Socially they are a disaster but that's not their MO, it's the land of individualism and they suck in the best talent from all over the world, they pay the highest salaries, they have freedom in so far as you must fight for your own or you will get f*cked. None of this changed because there's a bunch of people whining on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He’s not a Nazi because he’s not on the membership roster? Brilliant unassailable logic there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hillary is as bad an option for the democrats now as Jeb Bush for the GOP.

Well you can't be a literal member of an organization, be that a golf club or national supremacist club, without actually being a member. You can be a figurative, yes, but not a literal. It's like saying "im literally dying" when you have man flu, you know.

Advertisement