Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Irish History

The cost of reunifying our country is a total non-issue.

The 'Southern Ireland' State runs a surplus of billions and that is forecast to continue.

Anyway, the Irish government is already on the record stating that Ireland can afford to reunite and that Ireland as a whole, north and south, will be better off after reunification.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Fionn I am sorry to revisit this. Buy pure coincidence this afternoon my Scottish son-in-law put on episode 2 of this highly acclaimed series running on bbc.

this is a hard watch for all sides as the naked sectarian is exposed. This series covers the Shankill butchers, bloody Friday and Jean McConville. Her son is interviewed at length with deep emotion. He never once mentions her being ‘run out’ by loyalists but he does say that “of course it was sectarian, a Protestant woman murdered by the IRA, how is that not sectarian”. He also said the Ira made up the informer tale to cover their embarrassment when they had to admit they had murdered her after years of denials.

my quote is not verbatim but as close as I can remember if you think I am misrepresenting it I will get verbatim

here is the programme An amazing watch I think.

why this is important in the wider debate is that some republicans on here are trying to feed people in the south with a very one sided narrative I hope rte by this series off bbc

Post edited by downcow on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Also the BBC:

The mother-of-10, a Protestant, was originally from east Belfast and converted to Catholicism after marrying Arthur McConville.

After being intimidated out of east Belfast, the family moved to west Belfast and set up home in the Divis flats on the Falls Road.

And here is her daughter talking about it:

The McConvilles had already been "hit from every side" during the course of the Troubles. Jean, born a Protestant, had converted to Catholicism to marry her husband. In 1969, the family were dragged out of their house in a loyalist area and made to leave. When they ended up in Divis Tower, their home was raided "every other night" by the IRA.

"You just lived with it," McKendry explains. "You spent half your time outdoors because there was a bomb indoors. We didn't have normal teenage years. You hadn't really much of a life."

I think you need to drop this one downcow.

Francie. I have dropped it. Watch the programme of her son and granddaughter. It will help you move forward. I wouldn’t be defending anyone in this terrible tragedy.

I’m done with it. Back on topic.

No you hadn’t dropped it. You tried to say because he had not talked about it that it didn’t happen.

I have watched the programme and I know the facts around this case and many many others.

• Advertisement

I never once suggested she hadn’t been intimidated by both sides sectarian gangs. But I’m not arguing anymore about. It’s just another sad house resulting from the sectarian blood bath. I won’t let you suck me in to reply on this again. If you want to know my position, there is nothing in that horrendous programme that I disagree with.

You tried and once again failed. It was all horrendous downcow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I don't understand what this adds to the conversation at all, Downcow. I'll certainly give it a watch, but the basic premise that a Protestant woman was murdered by the IRA is already wrong, as we've discussed at length she wasn't a Protestant woman. None of The Disappeared were Protestant. It still desperately sounds like you're trying to turn a tragedy into a Protestant victim story.

With the greatest of respect to her son, one would hardly expect him to be able to take a reasoned view on things. If she was an informer, he's hardly going to say so and offer any sort of justification (no matter how much we both disagree with it) for his mother's death. If she wasn't an informer, you'd hardly expect someone who's mother has been murdered by a group to take their reasoning as gospel for why they did it.

Her being run out by Loyalist absolutely isn't up for debate though, no matter how much you're trying to dodge it.

As for what anyone is feeding anyone, we both have very one sided views Downcow, they're forged by our own personal experiences. You're as unlikely to understand what it was like being hassled by the RUC or British Army on a regular basis as I am to understand fearing the Provos.

Sam made a fair point, whatever the constitutional destination of NI, we both need to get better at moving on.

I completely agree with your last two paragraphs. I am though inclined to side with her son on this one. It was standard practice for families to be told the person was an informer and either written or recorded, or both, confessions handed to them. It’s not normal for rumours to be put around that she had ran off with a soldier. The whole purpose of murdering informers was to be public and stop others.

but we won’t agree on that and what’s important is that we agree on your last paragraphs

You will side with the son who just didn’t talk about it and ignore the daughter actually talking about it.

downcow that is pathetic tbh. If holding on to a narrative is at such an obvious expense of the truth Unionism is sunk.

Again and again you are confronted with facts and you show zero willingness to accept them.

Jamie Bryson was caught on camera this weekend with a paramilitary leader at a UVF commemoration and he is attacking the source of the truth too. Maybe it didn’t happen if he can successfully shoot the messenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"A tragedy".

The kidnapping, torture and disappearance of Jean McConville is now just a "tragedy".

This place sickens me at times.

Hear another ‘cost of a United ireland’.

there is a deep history of both communities in ni fighting to beat fascism etc. much of unionist culture and identity is focused around this fight and protecting liberty. To suggest that ni would unite with a country wanting to be neutral would be crazy

and for the shinners to suggest that in a Ui we could defend ourselves in an ‘ourselves alone’ mentality. What planet are they on?

It's very much not just a 'Shinner' position. The majority here have been pro neutrality since independence.

If during a discussion on a UI it is revealed just how much of the subvention goes into the UK's defence budget I think a majority might opt not to be involved in it anymore.

There would be, same as now, nothing stopping UI citizens joining the UK or US armies to fight facism or ensure 'liberty'.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Tragedy: an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.

In what world is describing the events around Jean McConville as a tragedy downplaying anything?

There is no, 'just' a tragedy, just you going out of your way to look for ways to be offended. You're making an absolute fool of yourself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ireland fights fascism and the like through the UN by sending our soldiers in Peace Keeping missions to troubled regions of the world.

They are not sent on missions like the Iraq war - either the first or second one.

In what way are the UK Defence Ministry defending the world from fascism by floating an expensive Aircraft Carrier in the South Chins Sea, with US Marines on board plus their own fighter aircraft. I assume, they must be defending us from fascist leaning US Marines, because I doubt they would find many fascists, or anyone, in the South China Seas.

Might have more chance of coming across fascists in the Black Sea, but they the got chased out by the Russians on their way out east to get to the South China Sea. Of course, many think the Russians under Putin are fascists.

"the events around Jean McConville as a tragedy"

The language we use is important. It wasn't mere events, it wasn't just a tragedy. It was much much more than that. It was one of the most despicable terrorist actions of the PIRA terrorist campaign. The kidnapping, torture, killing and burying in the bog of a mother, killed because she was different, killed because she wouldn't lie down for the terrorists. You buy tickets to see events. Was the rape of Mairia Cahill another event?

Do republicans not understand that they have to see the damage they have caused, to understand the terror and hurt they imposed in the name of Irish nationalism, to atone and apologise properly, completely and unreservedly for it, adopt the language of their victims and until they do the objective they want - a united Ireland - is unachievable?

Blanch, if you're taking offense at someone describing something as a tragedy, you're either looking for excuses to be outraged or you don't know what tragedy means.

You lessen any argument you could possibly make and diminish how serious the events are yourself by feigning offence at them being described as a tragedy. You're a caricature at this point.

I won't be addressing this absolute crock of sh*t from you any further.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What has the case of Jean Mc Conville got to do with the cost of a UI or with the costs related to the GFA?

Totally off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Well the tweet would suggest the shinners are needing to state their position as different.

The Royal Irish are deep in the hearts and phsycie of a huge number of northeners. If you intend disbanding them you are up for a squabble

• Advertisement

??

Why or how would we disband a British Army regiment?

Access to that would be up to yourselves to negotiate.

Huge is debatable, Downcow. I'd say a pretty small but quite vocal minority give even half a toss about them.

Their connections to the UDR automatically alienate a huge chunk of the population.

I really don't get how you think a regiment only in existence since 1992 live deep in the heart and psyche of a huge number of anyone, unless you're referring to the Royal Irish Rangers, who haven't existed in 30 years, Royal Irish Fusiliers, who haven't existed for over 50 or the Royal Irish Rifles who weren't called the Royal Irish for over 100 years and also haven't existed in over 50 years.

Ironic that you'd argue so fervently against protection for the Irish language while demanding respect for a regiment who have the (badly anglicised) motto, 'faugh a ballagh' though.

Most importantly to your point though, as part of the British Army, any new Irish state would hardly be able to disband them.

A little disingenuous of you Fionn. Surely you don’t believe what you have just written about most not caring about the RIR?

to suggest their history and linage commenced in 1992, well now.

here is a more honest appraisal of their history from 1689 from your favourite source. They protected us through every conflict since, and most notably stood on the side of peace during the troubles

I know no music that gets a room of northern Irish going quite like Killaloe. I would say the love and respect for the Royal Irish surpasses any other group or institution in the north.

Faugh a ballagh

Says exactly what I just said. Founded in 1992, includes the UDR.

Stood on the side of peace during the Troubles? The Stephens Inquiries and list of incidents in which UDR members colluded with Loyalist Paramilitaries makes that a bit difficult to stomach. That's the history that your government decided to amalgamate into that of the regiment that you love so much.

I do have to admit to a personal interest in the regiment beyond that of your average Nationalist, (though that interest was mostly sparked by the fictional Patrick Harper from the Sharpe series), so I am being a bit facetious with the '92 jibes, but when was the last time you spoke to someone under 60 if you think nothing gets a room of people going quite like Killaloe?

You know most younger folk have moved on? Tens of thousands of them are having a much better time at Belsonic over the last while, not sitting with old fogies listening to Killaloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's a bit of a red herring. As already pointed out by Francie, the RIR is a regiment of the British army. If the Irish government — even a government of a united Ireland — had views about whether it should be disbanded or maintained, it could do precisely nothing to implement those views. In the future, as now, that will be a decision exclusively for the British government. The disbandment of the Royal Irish Regiment is not a necessary consequence of a united Ireland; if the British want to maintain it, under that or any other name, they can.

(They would have to transfer the regimental HQ and garrison to GB, of course, but that's not a big deal. The RHQ and garrison of the Irish Guards are already in GB, as they always have been; no point of principle would be violated if the same were true for the RIR.)

The British Army already have a Gurkha regiment, recruited exclusively from Nepal, even though Nepal is neither a British territory, nor even a member of the British Commonwealth. So they could try the same approach for any former Irish regiment should a UI result from a border poll.

So, no problem for anyone in NI from joining such a regiment, should it follow the Gurkha example.

I assume this requires the agreement of the Nepalese government?

Not that I would object in any way, but I assume it would require the Irish government's agreement to allow active recruitment within our borders, so it isn't 100% within the gift of the British like for example citizenship?

Why would it involve the Irish Gov?

The Royal British Legion sell poppies in Ireland to remember those who died in WW I - with no imprimatur from the Irish Gov. Irish citizens are known to accept honours from the British Crown, again without having to ask permission from the Irish Gov.

British Citizenship is a matter for the British Gov.

One wonders who these two sentences are trying to fool, us or yourself;

1. and most notably stood on the side of peace during the troubles

and

2 I know no music that gets a room of northern Irish going quite like Killaloe.

• Advertisement

The transfer of the regimental HQ may not be a big deal for you, but it would be a significant symbolic issue for many people in the North on both sides.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement