Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6a

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Been using the phone alot for the past day. Few things about it bother me. Phone gets really hot while charging, I was video calling for about an hr on it and it also got seriously hot especially on the left side. The phone generally heats up even with casual use browsing the net etc. I know these tensor chips are known to get hot but this seems abit excessive. Seems this is a common thing with the 6a and the other 6 models since they all share the same processor.

The battery life is abit sketchy compared to my old Xiaomi 11 and it takes bloody ages to charge to. June 2023 security patch applied. Anyone else experience these issues ? In saying this the phone hasn't shown any over heating warnings and shut itself down, it performs really well, it just gets uncomfortably hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Haven't had any of these issue with the 6a in our house. It gets warm, but not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

My 6 Pro was also very hot when I first got it. Was told it was normal and would right itself in a few days. And it did.

Going to give it a few days and see if it settles down. Enable/disable a few apps to see if something installed is causing the problem. Might try a factory reset as a last resort.

Charged my 6a to 100% last night, woke up this morning to find I had 56% battery left.... In battery usage it said "phone idle" had consumed 47% of my battery as I slept. Not sure what is going on here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

Did you recently do an update? It could be related to that. Drain like that is also often related to network issues. Were you connected to WiFi or mobile data?

Some times the health and activity trackers don't sleep.

Always connected to WiFi at the house. When I setup this phone I cable tethered it to my old Xiaomi and Google automatically transferred all my apps and photos to my 6a. I'm thinking of factory resetting as a fresh start and manually download all my apps and copy paste all my photos to the phone instead of letting Google automatically do it. Maybe something went wrong during the data transfer and its messed things up and that's why Im having various issues :/.

From day one I did all the system updates to bring it up to latest security patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

@mondeo I got the 6a a while back when the deal was €249.99.

Had similar issues to what you're describing for the first week or so. But then it settled down and it's all fine now.

I got a 30w fast charging Belkin plug and it charges really quickly. Battery is now fine. Get a full day from it with medium use. I turned off the adaptive charging option.

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to that charger you got ? I'm using a Xiaomi 33w charger on mine and it takes a good 1.5 hrs to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Charger-PowerDelivery-Certified-Charging/dp/B0B1MDH5K5/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=1JXOSDFAEFJZV&keywords=belkin+30w+usb+c+wall+charger&qid=1687177593&sprefix=belkin+30w+usb+c+%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Sorry about the long link but that's it.

I just used the cable then that came with the phone with that plug.

If the phone is nearly empty it can still take a while to charge. Like you I was using an old Xiaomi 22.5w charger but found it slow whereas with the Belkin plug and google cable I found it charges a lot quicker. Also once you plug it in it says charging rapidly on the phone.

1.5hrs is about right. It will only take a max of 18w.

That's great thanks, I'll keep an eye on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

The second 50% will take longer to charge and slow down considerbly after 80%. Battery management does this to protect the health of the battery and longevity. All electric vehicles do the same thing. Google rolled out this feature with adaptive charging a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Got the pixel 6a from Vodafone for 199. Great deal. Looking for some solid case recommendations as I'll hopefully sell on when the 7a gets a bit cheaper

I factory reset my 6a, hasn't made a difference unfortunately. 10 minutes into a video call and the back and side of the phone is burning hot. The phone sat idle on the table here for the past hour and it lost 4% battery as it sat here with no interaction from me. Last night it lost over 50% of the battery sitting on a table. "Phone idle" is using massive amounts of battery and no one knows how to fix it. The phone was physically warm to the touch when I picked it up this morning after sitting on a table all night. I'm sort of giving up on it now, Google support are telling me to send bug reports and run the phone is test mode, all of which I have done with no real outcome. I need a reliable phone and I'm putting my sim back into my old trusty Xiaomi, never had any issues like this with any of the 5 Xiaomis I have had over the years. I'll hang onto the 6a and keep an eye online to see if any further updates solve the problem. Failing that I may send it off to google for them to take a look at it under warranty,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I got mine on Sunday. It got warm doing the updates and that when I first set it up but it has been grand other than that. Battery is at 47% now. 4 hours screen on time. Idle time is 12 hours and 15%. I also did a 50 minute run using Strava and Spotify. Something is defintely messed up with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dave62

Picked one up in VF the Crescent limerick, to replace Note 5.

• Advertisement

Update: Randomly disabling stuff on the phone to discover the source of the battery drain. There is an app called "Adaptive Connectivity" which was constantly sapping in the background. I disabled the app under system apps setting and now my battery is not draining over night anymore..... This app was supposedly added to the android 13 update. I now have normal battery life and have advised the above to google support. The phone still gets hot but runs cooler when disabling 5G and just using it on 4G which is fast enough data wise for what I use it for anyways. At least the phone is usable for me now.

One of the disadvantage of getting the latest updates is occasionally you get a buggy one.

You would think google themselves who invented the OS could get it right on their own phones. How is it that Samsung get android so finely tuned without issues ?

Dunno why you think Samsung never have bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Samsung invented exploding phones and made a very good job of it... The proliferated the idea across the globe...

I do remember the Galaxy Note years ago that kept blowing up and was barred on flights. In recent years they were much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yes they hardly ever burn the faces off their customers these days... & they didn't just bar one phone from flights... they were wholesale banned from most airlines. Also, they come with so much bloatware, I refuse to use one.

Put my phone in airplane mode with just wifi enabled and the phone lost just 1.5 % battery over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

When I try to buy this phone off the Vodafone site, it makes me type my phone number in and then sends a verification code to my phone. Then it asks me to put in a date for when I want to switch to Vodafone. Is there anyway of buying this at €199 and bypass the whole switching over to Vodafone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

Yes, you need to get another SIM card to use for the port.

Advertisement