Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As I said there is no precedent anymore.

If the government or anyone else wants to muzzle a President they need to be clear on it, which was my original point. The government should clear up the matter for once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

The President was making his comment in the context of the government( via the Tanaiste) inviting discussion on our international security policy. every citizen, and many foreign citizens are invited to contribute. Are you saying the President should be silenced in this 'open discussion'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Although Ireland is still in debt to the Troika, most countries never finish paying national debt anyway. Furthermore, economic growth can make the debt smaller. Ireland has a budget surplus. So why won't the government abolish the universal social charge (USC)? The USC means that many secondary schools have vacancies they can't fill because teachers can't afford to rent or buy residential properties within a reasonable distance of those schools, especially in cities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because the USC is a much fairer tax. If you want to reduce the tax burden on people then just focus on lowering PAYE.

Don't understand the focus on specifically secondary school vacancies either.

There is a point of view that the USC is a reason for the high cost of living in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Is that your point of view?

Its most certainly not "the" reason and while its a contributing factor if the focus is to be on tax reduction it should absolutely be on PAYE.

I'm not an expert of taxes. I was playing devil's advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Keep the USC, even increase it, but reduce income tax, that's the way to go.

I have never heard that point of view from any economist. Do you have a link?

Yes, the President is the constitutional Head of State, supposed to be above politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Irish Times conducted a poll recently which they discussed on one of their recent politics podcasts. Since FG TDs recently penned that op-ed calling for tax cuts they asked if that’s what voters wanted.

The results showed that when given the choice the majority of people wanted better services as opposed to tax cuts.

I think reading this forum (and the CA forum) gives a distorted view of these things, quite possibly because it’s mostly middle aged, middle classed men who post on here – ie the demographic who shoulder a lot of the tax burden without getting much back from it directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, no. Art 13.8 protects the independence of the President in "the exercise and performance of the powers and functions of his office or for any act done or purporting to be done by him in the exercise and performance of these powers and functions" but by your own account that's not what he's doing here.

Obviously as a citizen he has the same right as any other citizen to express freely his convictions and opinions (Art 40.6). The questions is not whether it legally required, but rather whether it is proper or appropriate, for citizens who hold certain offices to restrain their exercise of that right in certain respects. This isn't a novel or radical proposition; we'd unhesitatingly accept it with regard to, say, judges. And I'm suggesting that it's not appropriate for the President to trespass on functions which the Constitution explicitly assigns to other organs of the State. He should no more express his personal views about the government's position on any aspect of foreign affairs than he should express his personal views about Supreme Court decisions.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@Peregrinus "The questions is not whether it legally required, but rather whether it is proper or appropriate, for citizens who hold certain offices to restrain their exercise of that right in certain respects. ........ And I'm suggesting that it's not appropriate for the President to trespass on functions which the Constitution explicitly assigns to other organs of the State. "

Peregrinus, I will defer to your greater understanding of the Constitution and the roles set out there. And I would have the same difficulty if the President were to oppose the government and to attempt to interfere with the operation of any policy. But, perhaps wrongly, I feel the President , and the past three presidents, have stretched convention and custom in order to speak on matter of importance to the Irish people, whether on the diaspora, equality homelessness and that this is a progressive and welcome development. It is also a practice that the government seem to accept, however unwelcome it might be.

He has certainly contributed to the debate and put our record as a non aligned state with our considerable, and I would say admirable, role as peace keeper into the limelight

Overblown and overhyped would be better descriptors of our role as peace keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'd agree with most of this. But I think the President crosses a line when he speaks about a matter for which the government is responsible in way that is critical of government action. Calling attention to neglected or emerging issues — fine; criticising a specific government action or initiative — not so fine.

That is very much your opinion. And it is the typical demeaning we hear from those who want us to end neutrality. Instead of doing that, why not just make the case on it's own merits.

Again that is your opinion only Peregrinus. There is no arbiter of what is 'appropriate' bar precedent, which are broken all the time.

As Supreme Commander of the Defence Forces, he also needs to apologise to the people under his command who he insulted.

You think?

Burkino Faso gives more support to UN Peacekeeping than we do.

Not to mention all the Peacekeeping under other organisations that we don't contribute to.

The Triple Lock, which you support, has effectively made our peacekeeping role redundant, as peacekeeping moves to a regional responsibility. For example, whenever the brutal Russian invasion of Ukraine is repelled, there is likely to be a significant role for OSCE peacekeeping, we will once again be watching from the sidelines.

• Advertisement

That's just cherrypicking.

We have had a long and diostinguished role in peacekeeping.

Make the case for joining NATO if you wish, there is zero need to denigrate and demean.

Of course its only his opinion. If people couldn't discuss their opinion on topics then this place would be a graveyard.

The concept of the president intervening aside, the content of his intervention raises many questions also. He is taking swipes at many of our European allies (absolute insane jibes at Latvia and Lithuania, and tired ex-empire tropes towards France). Its a diplomatic and foreign policy nightmare, an area he has no business getting involved in. He also disparages current and ex-members of the armed forces of which he is supposed to be the commander. This was not a well-considered, cautious intervention.

Just pointing out the facts. As I said, our long and distinguished role in peacekeeping is overhyped and overblown, part of an Irish mentality to overstate our place in the world, and that role is overshadowed by the contribution from many poorer countries. Furthermore, even the minor role has diminished significantly in recent years because of the Triple Lock, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with joining NATO, which is just another red herring thrown in to divert.

You can have a rainbow and unicorns view of Ireland's place in the world, or you can look at the reality through the stats.

You are free to contradict him and offer an alternative view. He entered a discussion on these topics, that is all, he hasn't decreed or imposed anything.

There is an opinion out there that this Consultative Committee is hand picked in order to come to the 'right' conclusions'. We need more voices not less.

I don't think our peacekeeping is overhyped or overblown, it is something to be rightly proud of. And something a significant number of Irish defence force personnel have died for.

You are correct however that the triple lock mechanism is, beyond being morally grotesque, a practical impediment to this continuing in the future.

The largest contributors to peacekeeping are not particularly "neutral" countries either.

Again with the dis-ingenuous argument. NOBODY has said that we are the pre-eminent peacekeepers of the world blanch. It's not a competition.

You invent these things and project them onto posters. Please stop.

It plays a much bigger role in the mindest of the Irish than it has practical effect in the wider world. The perception in Ireland of our peacekeeping is way out of line with the international perception of it.

Basically we are seen in the international community as playing our part in the UN peacekeeping effort but nothing more than that. Within Europe, our triple lock is increasingly see as a method of us avoiding our responsibilities to regional peacekeeping. No matter what happens in Ukraine, Russia, and probably China, will veto UN-led peacekeeping in the area. It will be up to the EU, NATO and the OSCE to step up, and Ireland will stand idly by as usual.

The only person in this entire saga who is trying to de-legitimise voices is the President. His dismissive reference to "the admirals, the generals, the air force, the rest of it” to describe Irish Defence Forces members with decades of peacekeeping experience (also we don't have an air force) is undermining their valued opinions.

The govt, while I imagine furious, have publicly been very restrained in comments on the President's intervention.

If criticism is trying to 'de-legitimise' then we are going nowhere in any consultative process tbh.

He criticised some of them. They are quite free to reject that and give an alternative view.

• Advertisement

I think we play an outsized part (and our contribution per capita would reflect that) but I agree with the general theme of your point. I do not believe our peacekeeping forces attain any special benefit from our political stance either, not least because they are never deployed alone anyway.

Advertisement