Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He’s a bit emotional? If he gets frequently drawn into touch line stuff and verbals with referees and opposition as shelbourne manager I think he could be an embarrassment as national team coach.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Duff is real though. A real Shelbourne man. He is there for the rest of his life. He would never leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Marc Canham was hired as director of football to replace Dokter last summer.

I don’t think we should be employing managers on the basis of their ability to gee lads up or create a siege mentality. It’s a bit basic. The other thing with is he has coached one big game (one more than Lee carsley at least) in his life and lost 4-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is another false narrative created it is almost as if when the empire and hope falls you have to find fault with others. Claim it was their fault for not believing. The vast majority of people wanted Kenny to do well. And many Kenny evangelists seemed/still seem to think that ANY slight criticism of Kenny means that the person is an enemy of Irish soccer by 'out and out' Kenny supporters.

Somehow in their mind Kenny was the only hope and saviour for Irish soccer. To the extent it became a cult of personality. In some people's minds Kenny was on a soccer crusade and IS not just the manager but IS the embodiment of Irish soccer itself. Given the hype, hope and promises. So for such people to shine a critical light on him was difficult or almost impossible

I also suspect the way out and out Kenny supporters - fans/media kept creating a narrative of procession and progress (when there is little to see wound many others up)

And the fact Kenny seemed to be on a cushy number of zero accountability for so long, like a a civil service job has wound up the middle ground fanbase. The middle ground have lost patience.

This has moved many people into the ambulant at best or sack him at worst camp. Personally I think Kenny should be put in the u21's permanently. There he can blood players and if they are good enough they will find a way through at senior level, Kenny will be safe there out of the limelight with zero pressure and accountability.

He would be much better suited to that. If he does poorly as u21 manager the masses will not notice. Noel King was u21 manager for 8 years, And most wouldn't have known he was even there.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

So you have no ideas at all and yet have the neck to label Keane as a failed manager? Sounds like you have no clue on both counts and are in some sort of fantasy land. Sort of spoofer pub talk. Keane has profile and managerial experience at a decent level in England. Also at international national level.

If Kenny was that good why did he not succeed at Dunfermline? Kenny signed Irish lads got them relegated and languishing in the Scottish first division. He has not being asked back to the UK since. That was in 2007.

As for the LOI that is a basket case of a league players move around on frees constantly. Kenny did not get his u21 international job because of LOI success he got it because of a few impressive performances in Europe. Giving many the false idea that he was a man destined for bigger and better things.

Has Kenny improved the players he has called up? No in my view he has managed to make them devoid of all confidence. Defensively poor basic mistakes and the promise of a nice style of play seems laughable now.

Roy Keane has said he was offered jobs but turned them down for various reasons.The real test after Kenny leaves Ireland will be what level of job he would get? LOI would the limit is my guess, which says it all.

Kenny has not progressed as a manager. The fella is naive tactically, still has poor communication skills, and yet is idealistic. That is my take on Kenny. His teams are easy to play against for teams at all levels. The only change I have seen in Kenny is a stress increased worn face and his hair has got whiter in his tenure.

The message has been delivered again and again that keane has little to no chance of being appointed yet you go on and on about him…there’s being headstrong and then there’s just being rock headed

Why does he have little chance though? Because of the media narrative on a whatsapp? The media really should be asking what motivated people to leak it. Was it just to sell papers?

Roy Keane is the most qualified and high profile candidate and his high up in the manager betting odds. Any other country would not leave a high profile candidate on the sideline. Yet here we Ireland a small country, a team without shirt sponsorship, no profile, a team all at sea and yet you claim that Roy Keane has 'no chance'. I find it baffling,

it is not as if Ireland has real top tier candidates beating down the door for an interview. The aversion to Roy Keane seems to sum up where they are at moment, many live in some sort of fantasy land where they would prefer untried/untested people at international level ahead of Keane. Why? It would not happen in any other industry. Duff? Robbie Keane? What managerial CV do they have in comparison to Roy Keane? It is beyond daft. Plus I doubt the likes of Carsley would take the Irish job if offered he is on a nice cushy number at the moment. The Irish job would actually be a step down for him IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Keane is a failed manager. Since Sunderland he has gone downhill and downhill quick. His last stint was a failure beside MON at Forest. What i said is i wouldnt go for any of those managers on that list. At this point i think we should probably go a young foreign coach. None of the Irish names mentioned inspire confidence. The pub talk and spoofer talk as you put is mentioning Keane!

have you ever failed in a job 15 years only to go and learn and improve? bringing up 2007 is nonsense. If Keane is that good why cant he get a job in the UK?

Nice to see you repeat JD line of the league is a basket case. You clearly dont keep up with it and whats going on at the moment. So domestic dominance over a 7 years period didnt get him the job it was 5 or 6 games in Europe?

Why do you clearly hate and have no respect for your own league? Go watch some games, get down and watch the future Irish internationals play.

You dont realise that your last paragraph goes against your whole argument in support of Keane do you? Keane is tactically naive as has been said by previous players. He was part of the MON reign that turned up, played a few games in training and named the team 90 mins before kick off. The players were crying out for instructions and they got very little.

Because he called players “pricks” and “cnuts” for sitting out training with injuries. Was this not explained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Augme

Keane is a failed manager though, whatever about Kenny being the same is largely irrelevant in the context of Keane. He's consistently failed as a manager and there's a reason clubs have no interest in him.

Championing one failure to replace another is a bit of a strange one. We should start moving away from proven consistent failures. It doesn't ever end well.

So what? Wow you don't think that happens on the pitch in dressing rooms all over the world are people that precious? You have to look at all the stuff Roy Keane could bring to the table that others can't. He would pick players with strong mentalities for a start and get them to drive on raise standards,

Kerr is another fella that should not be left on the sideline any other country would have had him as integral part for development of Irish soccer. But not Ireland of course. A small country leaving a man like that with his level of football knowledge in the wilderness is travesty and embarrassment IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

The amount of conjecture in this:

Keane comes in and all of a sudden there are sponsors knocking down the door?? Do you honestly think if the FAI thought the reason they couldn’t agree a sponsorship was Kenny that he’d still be here? It’s a hilariously petty dig at Kenny too to blame him for something that is literally nothing to do with him.

Keane says a few things, or “quips” to the media and all of a sudden people arrive in their droves? Football fans want to watch football, and we already have a very healthy sized match going crowd. We’ll probably get 20000+ tonight which is fantastic for a Monday night game against a bottom seed.

Since Sunderland his career as a manager has had little of note. Multiple posters have pointed out issues that previous players have had with him but for some reason this is just brushed aside.

I don’t know who the next manager should be but it should definitely not be Keane, he’s done nothing recently to prove he’s in any way suitable for the job, certainly not by those points raised above.

• Advertisement

How is Roy Keane a failed manager he won an English championship - managed in the EPL - and managed in the championship after as well. If you turn it on it's head. Kenny was a 'failed manager;` in the UK at much lower level - Scottish div 1. But he went back to the LOI and suddenly he was the next best thing?

Are you telling me that if Roy Keane had a even a short stint in the LOI like Duff suddenly that would make him a better candidate somehow? I don't get it.

Love how Kerr keeps getting dragged back into things. A man whose a fountain of knowledge, someone that any other country wouldn't waste this amazing talent whatsoever yet he's been unemployed for nearly 12 years. Has he been turning down clubs/countries left and right as they throw themselves at the feet of this amazing man hoping he'll bestow his knowledge upon them as he waits in vain that the FAI will phone him once again someday.

I have already said multiple times that Kenny should go at this stage. He deserved his chance, and considering he was asked to refresh the squad with youth, that he deserved time, which he’s gotten.

What I am saying is that campaign under Mick was largely terrible, when people keep touting it a some sort of success because we got knocked out late in the group.

We won 3 games against lower seeds(one was one of the lowest seeds we could get), threw away a golden opportunity away in Georgia by settling for a draw after 10 minutes, the football in most games was utter dross and we never, ever looked like we could win a game we needed to, because we always played for a draw, and we only ever tried once we went behind.

You want Kenny out because he doesn’t get results, I agree, and I agree because the FAI did it the right way imo, by giving him the time to prove himself.

But the answer to Kenny Out is certainly not Mick or Roy In. The FAI needs to try and find a successor, someone to continue the job Kenny has done instead of paying someone far more to hope that somehow we can draw our way to victory.

Because he has failed at every club he has managed and needed to be gotten rid of. Again, this has no relevance to Kenny. His Championship title win was nearly 20 years ago at this stage. His managerial career has been trending downward from that point onwards.

Hiring someone who's consistently performed over during the course of his managerial career is a very strange approach and not one that likely to produce success.

Not true again you are creating a narrative again. I am more of a GAA man true, don't support an EPL team or any of the Celtic is Irish stuff. But I see lot of hypocritical Irish soccer supporters who don't follow the LOI but religiously travel over to the UK and say 'we' then wonder why the development of Irish players is shite.

I went to a Rovers v Dundalk top teams LOI game few years back on a nice summers day out of curiosity in tallaght. The crowd was pathetic in size I was shocked. Yet the crowd was segregated! That made me laugh.

I also went to a Kenny u21 match in the same stadium around the same time. The vibe of the crowd seemed to be one of hope and expectation. It was a 0-0. Many of the players I saw that day have not cut it at` senior level. Despite the hype.

The National League in England has more atmosphere and sense of community than the LOI has. Fans identify with it. I attended one of those games over in England as my brother lives close to a team around the same time I saw u21 Ireland and that LOI game in Tallaght 2019. So it gave me a unique perspective.

It made me embarrassed/sad for the LOI and how the Irish soccer public treat it. The VNL in England had a GAA community feel to it. Most Irish soccer fans don't have that community feel. They instead have to try and manufacture it in the support of big British brands from the PL. That is not real soccer support that is brand name - consumer stuff.`

The last time I remember a REAL proper buzz over the LOI was Pat Fenlon with Shels - v Hadjuk Spilt/Deportivo la Coruna etc

I was there for this goal for example- Rodgers v Hadjuk

The LOI is a basket cast Delaney is correct, I never knew he said that. But 'so called' soccer Irish fans made a balls if it since way back in the 50's/60's when Irish soccer was run by gombeens. Fellas with little or no education and business acumen. Meanwhile Rugby and the GAA took off. But yet the Irish soccer fans want a great Irish soccer team playing football 'the right way'? Are people mad or what?`Cop on lads.

There are bigger crowds at Liverpool/Man United/Celtic friendlies against LOI teams than there is in many LOI teams domestic attendances combined. Plus the Irish soccer 'fan' consumer supports the British team if that is not off the wall stuff I don't know what is.

Irish soccer adminstrator`s could not capitalise on the massive bohs v drums crowds for example. So the flaky Irish soccer fans had their heads turned by England instead. The fans don't go to LOI as simple as that. It is also Dubin centric another major problem.

So Irish soccer is just built on a foundation of sand, there are lot of fellas with 'pub talk' notions like yourself, low on ideas. You seem to be a microcosm of the Irish soccer fan in that sense not knowing what they want. And blaming others for it's facrical nature while sitting on the high stool expounding. What foreign manager would take the Irish job??

As I said Roy Keane has already turned jobs down - he wants a high profile one - one where he sees a project. He is free has the CV he is available he has the profile. But yet your notions seem to super cede common sense.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Leave aside what you think I want.

Look at your criticisms above and compare them to the last two campaigns.

Sure. Drawing away to Georgia in a Euro campaign where you have been paid millions because your only objective is to qualify is objectively worse than losing to Luxembourg in a WC group during a team rebuild with no objective to qualify.

Happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Rovers average attendance is over 6,000, they've had 3 sell outs so far this year of 7,800. Pats and Bohs have regular sell outs also. Attendances are up 20% this year.

League of Ireland attendances: Premier Division fuels 20% increase in crowds

During the 2023 League of Ireland season so far, 166 matches have been contested – and a whopping 397,295 spectators have attended fixtures.

87 of the 166 clashes have taken place in the Premier Division, with a further 79 coming in the First Division.

Against last season's benchmark, the current figures demonstrate a remarkable increase in fan turnout.

An additional 65,104 spectators have graced the same number of matches across both divisions.

McCarthy true million more like just over 1 million, but Kenny's contract is adding up to millions with even less return on the investment.

The truth is Mick McCarthy was and still is a better manager (and is a better better manager) than Stephen Kenny will ever be. Mick got teams performing above the sum of their parts at a higher level than Kenny ever has. That is what good managers do. Has Kenny done that? No English club came calling? I wonder will Celtic come in for him after all his good work?

The ONLY things that Kenny had going for him was aspirational HOPE of a new direction. it was not based on anything more concrete than that. It was a brilliant move by the FAI from a marketing/optics point of view. Easily fooled the fans/media.

McCarthy handing over 'the torch' to Kenny. But it was mainly an optics trick to get the fans back on side. All the talk of 'playing football the right way' AND getting results was gleefully lapped up by the media and fans. if you even questioned the narrative created after a number of games you were viewed as negative and against not only Kenny and Irish soccer itself

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is a reason Roy Keane is talking about football on Sky Sports and ITV, and why he hasn't been a manager in over a decade. T

He is not a good manager. The idea that he's turning down jobs cause he wants a project sounds fantastical to me.

Did he get Ireland to perform above the sum of their parts?

We were seeded third and we finished third. Kenny did the same in the WC qualifiers.

He didn’t beat any of the higher seeds, and at no point were Ireland ahead in any of those games.

I would argue that Kenny had us closer to winning against a higher seed away to Portugal when they were actually winning for a lot of the match, and Portugal got some extremely suspect decisions with the referees head lodged firmly in Ronaldos arse.

At best you could say he got Ireland the results at a par with their parts but really that’s not too dissimilar to Kenny.

I feel the need to point out again that I think Kenny should go because he’s been given enough time, but my god, that 2020 campaign seems to have been romanticised beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is that the same Duff that walked out on the Irish set -up ?

But Mick didn't have a litany of embarrassing collapses against lower ranked poor sides like Kenny did he? Georgia draw is the main one used to bash McCarthy. But you are spoiled for choice with the Kenny results too many to mention.``

Mick lost one game in qualifiers and conceded only 5 goals. The That is hard to beat in my book. Good management. If Kenny did that, some would be calling for roads and statues to be named after him. It comes back to optics and narrative creation for the 'In Kenny we Trust' brigade. There was little else as far as I can see.

Kenny was handed the play off's on a plate as Mick stepped down - and Kenny even failed that one.

I’ve said multiple times in previous posts, I qualify those losses by the fact that Kenny was asked to overhaul the squad. And again - I don’t think he should stay. I’m not arguing this as Mick v Kenny.

I am saying unequivocally that Micks most recent stint in the job was an expensive failure and he should never be considered for the job again. He didn’t get Ireland to perform at a high level, his ultra defensive, zero risk approach is ultimately what cost Ireland points in Georgia and why they finished third.

As an aside, I disagree that simply being hard to beat to the point where a draw is considered a welcome result is good management. If you want a manager there to just get players together to qualify by any means, you’re going to have to try and win games eventually.

Typical 'qualify' those losses. Qualified losses seems to be the only type of qualification Kenny has a chance of getting. I just find the myth created around Kenny hilarious at this stage. I have never heard such a run of excuses given for an Irish manager ever. I firmly believe that if Mick was left in charge for that play off instead of Kenny Ireland had a much better chance of qualifying.

You would swear the Kenny was the first Irish manager to overhaul a squad. Mick did it after Jack. Plus it was far harder to qualify for tournaments in Mick's 1st time. He got savaged for failing the play off v Belgium and the Irish soccer 'fans' booed Mark Kennedy. But Mick turned things around the next campaign.

Of course the media narrative resulted in Mick's sacking where the Irish fans roared Keano - Keano against Russia. (Meaning Roy)

Nowadays' qualifying is like a sports day type thing a lot more teams get a lot more chances.

Mick got those draws against Denmark and Switerland. If Kenny got those results v similar calibre teams what to do think the reaction would be. The media are manipulating Irish soccer fans like puppets. Because they are susceptible to manipulation because of aspirational hope and notions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Kerr wasn't a good senior manager but that doesn't mean he couldn't do other jobs in the FAI where he had previously done well before taking the top job.

Was that the playoff game we were in because we came bottom of our Nations League group ?

Yet no club or country have felt the need to employ him even behind the scenes in the last 12 years.

Kenny was specifically asked to do this. Delaney had Mick in to qualify by any means so he could hide the books long enough to f*ck off to the UEFA ExCo(thank god that didn’t pan out).

Kenny was then given the job of bringing through youth players and looking at a longer term approach to the squad. He didn’t just take it upon himself to bring a load of young lads in for the sake of it.

So considering we had to significantly change our team and start giving youth competitive international experience they didn’t get before, I would absolutely think it’s reasonable to think there would be some bumps along the way and we might lose some games we may have otherwise drawn.

And doing it through a WC campaign made sense, we haven’t qualified in 20 years and we haven’t been in a position to expect to for almost as long - I wouldn’t hold it against any of our managers over the last 10 years that we didn’t qualify so I wouldn’t hold it against Kenny either. So getting a loss or a draw in a campaign that we were likely never going to qualify from is a good trade off for getting young player’s senior competitive experience.

I will judge Mick purely on results because his job was to qualify by any means and he failed in that objective.

Rovers are an exception to the the rule as was pointed out to me by LOI fans. Nice stadium etc. There is a major problem straight away that it is Dublin centric, and only a certain demographic go at that. For the Irish team to improve you would need a decades real interest a hype over the league Etc not just cherry picked figures. The LOI is basically Dublin (Dundalk, Derry). It is all a bit lopsided in terms of the geography of catchment ares for support. A soccer fan from Clare/Tipp etc is going find it much harder to feel part of the LOI.

It if there was deecnt attendences all round for a few decades might see the improvement in the National side over time. vAs players stay at teams longer better wages and are sold for bigger money abroad. But that is a long way away. Bazunu might be Ireland manager by that stage!

I wouldn't expect any country to hire him because I don't think he would do the job well outside Ireland.

But his record working in Ireland before he took the Irish managers job was very good.

Do we really have people arguing here that Kenny got better results than Mick? Come on now

As is always the case with Kenny, expect a big reaction tonight. Some crisp football and a few goals. But it should be viewed as allowing him to go out on a relative high. Rather than any indication of things turning around

Looking forward to heading along tonight, it will be interesting to see what the crowd is like towards the manager.

Hopefully a few goals to celebrate and our first points on the board.

I don’t expect Kenny to be relieved of his duties after the game unless they lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Will there be any tickets floating around tonight ?

Really stuck for one for my 2nd child !! 😣🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Losing at home to Luxembourg is worse than drawing away in Georgia, yes.

Just like drawing away at Denmark is better than losing to Serbia and Greece away.

Or how beating Georgia at home is better than drawing with Ajaerbaijan at home.

How drawing at home to Denmark and Switzerland is better than losing at home to France.

Etc etc etc

Bit of history rewriting going on in regards to Mick "getting us to a playoff" from some people.

The sad thing for all of us is neither Kenny or Mick 2.0 have had great results.

No one in their right mind will view a win against Gibraltar as "turning it around"

Finishing third because we won a few games when it didn't matter hides the fact we were one goal away in the last game from going through whereas we were out after two games this and the last campaign.

I don't think it's that, I think it's more people arguing that Mick Mccarthy last stint as Irish manager was a success so he should get the job next. Which is a strange take.

It was one goal away from being a success. In a group with a semi finalist and quarter finalist of the finals tournament.

That’s where we were. Whatever the deficiencies of Irish football 2008 - 2020, the results and slide down the rankings 2020 - 2023 cannot be justified.

The one thing we should all agree on is that we need to do better in terms of results. And given we were able to as recently as 2020, we should drop the fatalism and reduced expectations. We are better than this, we know it.

• Advertisement

Your ignorance of the LOI is shocking. Not going to bother anymore.

The points I was Making -

1) If Kenny got the results Mick did the second time it would be seen as 'progress'

2) Mick was and is a better manager than Kenny that seems to me to be obvious

And as better and more experienced manager Mick would do a better job than Kenny, that is not a high bar I know. But it seems very obvious to me.

The only reasons people are anti Mick/Roy/Brian on here is because it is not the optics appointment that many want. I am starting to think what people want is a veneer of competence and the promise of things getting better. Instead of managers with real experience at better levels and a proper CV.

--

Kenny himself was asked the Gibraltar press conference by an Irish reporter 'How he thinks he is doing as a manager?'

Kenny was unable to bat off the question - a combination of an FAI official and James McClean had to jump into save him.

Are you telling me that an experienced manager would not fare better here? Kenny looked lost there started bleating about respect.

That is only Press Conferences as an example. But a manager like Mick ( or a similarly experienced better quality manager) is not only better at the media stuff but tactically and moulding an effective team unit as well. I think that is beyond doubt. Kenny should be an underage manager he is not cut out for the frontline stuff at the higher level. He should have stayed where he was.

Those are the type of comments a fella makes when he is losing an argument. It reads like a line from Kenny press conference, He does not bother either.

Not really, you said the LOI is crap, that your mainly a GAA games, others have pointed out that your wrong on the LOI and you refuse to accept that your wrong about it. Why would I waste my time.

I'm fairly certain that a lot if not the majority of posters here were absolutely slated Mick for the crap football he was playing. Its revisionist to look backwards and not acknowledge that. There was a reason a lot of people wanted and backed Kenny to get the job and that was because the football was dire in latter years MON and Mick continued that trend. Its been better at times under Kenny and been poor at times but people wanted to move on and try do something better. It hasnt worked out but the match going public want entertaining football. The FAI cant ignore bigger crowds under Kenny.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement