Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If any of the P60s could catch up with an aircraft that would be something special to see

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[MOD]Seriously, again? Multiple reports on this thread. I'm only just off the airplane from Canada. Locking, I'll deal with this in the morning, but I suspect this time there will be a suspension involved somewhere.[/MOD]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[MOD]OK, I like to think I was quite clear after the last time I locked this thread that the question of 'if' Ireland should have some form of controlling its own airspace, as a conceptual matter, has been settled. If you disagree with this concept, take it up with the Commission members or the government which accepted the commission's report, or state your case on the various threads on Politics such as the NATO thread.

I was also clear that further discussion on this matter would be an actionable offense. So I am now taking action. You are welcome to return in a month.

The matter of Labre's tone/manner of address is being addressed separately.[/MOD]

Major Health warning you will hear RBB voice in the following podcast so have a sick bucket ready. Cathal Berry saying there is an option to lease 8 FA 50s for Air Policing for 32 odd million?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭sparky42

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was, but to me that just brings us back to “token for the sake of token”, between the numbers and the long discussed lack of supports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess we need the radar etc. first. Something that doesn't beed expensive complicated maintenance and can take off from roadways would be very useful too.

When you add on weapons and extra fuel tanks would the Fa50 still go supersonic?

Which version are we talking about? I mean you have the trainer, then the trainer/light fighter and you have the upcoming new block 20?

We do and again is 8 enough when you add in maintenance, training, usage? TBH the taking off from roadways isn’t relevant to us at all, it’s not going to happen even if we had aircraft meant for it.

I think he said trainer version. I wonder is he just throwing it out there or does he know of an offer made by the koreans thats not in the public domain

• Advertisement

Who knows really, I’m a bit doubtful that it’s anything active, might just have been a way to undercut RBB’s habit of claiming crazy costings whenever he talks about defence procurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

There would be no "lack of supports" for the Korean option apparently, as the majority of its avionics engines and systems are western, and Lockheed Martin has paired with KAI to market the type.

Media - Lockheed Martin - Releases

I meant our issues (ie Radar, people, base facilities), not any issue with the aircraft itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If memory serves the Polish deal includes them building a full MRO facility in Poland. Which offers a degree of certainty on the maintenance needs.

KAI has IMO done a decent job in speccing the FA50 with a large amount of off the shelf tech. There is no huge innovation in its systems or airframe structure that comes with risk. Indeed I'd argue that it as de-risked a new airframe as can be bought.

It is being used by other SEA nations with overwater intercept requirement, but I can't find a reliable figure for max speed with tanks and AAM. I would lean towards it being possible though as it's Thrust/Weight is favourable and it's quite a clean design, it would I think come down to the tanks being area ruled or better yet if a CFT option is made available, then I'd say armed supersonic is a given.

It's a proven platform, 200 built, but even at that? I would only lean towards it being suitable for Ireland in a Block 20 or PL variant.

Well, apart from ALL that, of course..

I'm sure our government will have all that in place by the time we roll onto LOA3....

What block of FA50 will be in service by then, and what else?

Dont worry in less than 2 weeks the government will lay out all the timelines from the commissions report!

And all the militarists attending the fora around the country will have advised their military industrial complex backers to prepare for a wad of irish warmonger money....

JOKE!

Block 20 should be well established in Polish service by then, at the promised rate of delivery.

Or more likely they will report back to there offices the Irish are full of BS and wont spend a cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

That block 20 has a bloody impressive spec and can be bought with air to air refuelling capability. Ideal plane for the AC IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nope, too slow and too low and not nearly enough loiter time.

The F16 Block 70 will do Mach 2.2 and 10,000 ft higher.

The T-50 is a fine advanced trainer and the FA-50 will be a decent ground attack platform, but it is not an interceptor and it is not a fighter that could cope with any aircraft that are properly entitled to that description.

Its worth noting that the comparison to Poland isn't really valid. They have 32 x F-35s coming and by their own admission are prioritising the ground attack capability of the FA-50. Any air-to-air systems are being kicked way down the development cycle.

We can go in circles here, but we are at best 10-15 years away from QRA. We need to build up the basic air policing skills first, and the FA50 at present is the only thing that can do it any way competently, with obvious limitations. We have never:

Operated anything with missiles

Operated Fighters with radar

Operated anything that is supersonic

Our G suit experience is minimal at best, used in a TP trainer for aerobatic manouvers, not taking off and teaching cruising height seconds later on full afterburner

Operated anything with an internal cannon in the working life of current Air Corps pilots.

We need to build up the skills again, an interim aircraft is, in my opinion, a better solution than forking out big money for aircraft that will take a decade to build up experience on.

We just passed our test on a Honda 50. If we took the keys of a GSXR tomorrow there would be only one outcome. Maybe try something in the 250-500cc range first.

Alternatively, if you don't know motorcycles.

We just passed our test on an Opel Corsa. If we could afford to buy a Ferrari F40, it would be wasted on us and might end up embedded in a wall. Maybe get some experience on a Ford Focus or similar first?

Forget about F16s, any spare F16 for the next few years will be going to Ukraine. Unit cost for Block 70 is climbing exponentially, and again, priority will be given to Ukraine, to (a) end the Russian invasion and (b) get them flying a NATO common airframe.

I don't disagree with your points, but the counter question is if we go with something like the FA50 are you confident in Irish politicians that future growth will happen, based off the history of investment in defence? Or if we end up with an armed trainer/light fighter will it just be the end of that route of investment and development, and if it is have we really changed any of the outstanding issues around controlling our airspace?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think it’s important though that this has finally started getting more and more air time.

Something that 5 years ago you’d barely read anything about. The government surely knows that they won’t have a choice once the Ps become obsolete.

If that offer is genuine then the government should bite their hands off at it and then build up from there. We have to start somewhere and the Koreans are really making a serious effort promoting their craft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

about the height of it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

To be honest I'd say Berry's comment about a lease is because he read in some periodical that some Asian state is leasing 8 of the type, so he's aware that leases are available to Countries in good standing with Korea.

When it comes to the PC-9s, they will most likely be replaced by the PC-21 or similar. A primary trainer is still needed for all fixed wing training as you can't simply put a cadet in a supersonic jet and say have at it. Even a twin-seater.

I wouldn't object to the FA-50 being leased, it's a fine aircraft and would no doubt aid pilot officer recruitment and retention, but what is the business case for them? What gap identified on the CoDF report do they solve?

And when it comes to the Implementation Group, it would be a very difficult circle to square, if stuff not in LoA2 and not in the list of immediate priorities started arriving.

The whole point of the implementation plan is to build capability in a logical order, that takes account of a) immediate need and gaps and b) the ability of the Forces to adopt them, train on them and put them quickly into effective operational service.

The flip side of all the public discourse and attention on the Defence Forces, is that scrutiny of developments will be greater, whether from the Oireachtas, the media, or the Tankies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How many ground radar stations would we need to cover our coast line ,

Im assuming theyre better built on hill tops, ( which we've no shortage of ) ,

Would we need more stations than the civillian air traffic control radars that currently exist ..

And would they need military security ?

Or any sort of AA systems to protect them ? , ( As in , if we think we need them , then we need to protect them for the times that we actually need them ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭thomil

I'd say 3-4 sites would be sufficient, most on the west coast, and one in the Wicklow Mountains. Ideally, they'd be co-located with civilian radar sites.

Regarding site security, I don't think that these sites need any type of garrison, and neither do I believe that any permanent SAM or AAA batteries should e assigned to them. There should be multiple layers of sensors around those sites though, as well as some sort of quick reaction force available at short notice in case any suspicious activity is detected. And there should be accommodation facilities on the site for both technicians and soldiers, in case that the security situation deteriorates, or a maintenance team gets surprised by a swing in the weather.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement