Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish women do 30% more housework than european peers despite wrking longer hrs outside the home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have yet to really see info that desuades me from trusting the first article from the Irish independant.

That Irish women do 30% more housework than other european women yet work more hrs outside the home.

Its written into spanish civil marriage contract law? Why not here??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

my post from the european gender quango says otherwise

it also shows this type of data is mostly like rubbish given the differences by country

Upkeep of a house required time. And yes children are taken away due to things like oh cumpulsive hoarding etc or just a house that shows clear signs of serious neglect. Same with children not being taught to have a daily bath and having daily clean clothes. A public health official with a social worker might be called in.

Its a sign of poor mental health also.

Well done sir. I applaud you. Can we be friends??

• Advertisement

perhaps more? I'm fierce tidy and only have a small...... brain

You are big brain!

I small brain! I very messy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

No. It's just a place, a roof, a collection of objects. There's nothing sacred about it.

People, regardless of gender, usually do the minimum amount of housework that they can live comfortably with the result. And this is as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Does "housework" include tasks that might be considered "mens" work? painting and decorating, car maintenance, building maintenance, household repairs, electrical repairs, plumbing repairs, as it appears the argument/discussion is very much weighted in one direction

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

I don't believe the title of this thread for one second.

"housework" lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Civil law is civil law. I stand corrected. Of course speaking civilly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

the.red.baron threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

As many others have said in here, judging by the state of the Ladies toilets in any establishment I have owned, ladies are not the cleanest of people.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

OP not very inclusive @OP ,,

if ya wanna see how ye Irishe womxn fare , why not expand it out to Worldwide and not solely just European women ?

I suppose folk what live in shacks in Favelas, and the like, possibly don't count - being as they aint living in "houses"

30% more sounds a lotte, but it's generally their job, and plenty don't complain about it

any stats on how much housework les females do in other continents? I'd say your posse has to do a lot more than 30% more of ye domestice engineerings in places like Qatar , Iran & Somalia, in comparison to ye amounte of houseworke what your male counterparts generally do

personally, I reckon 30% extra aint a lot compared to planetary median, altho I don't have that figure to hand

#youdon'tknowhowgoodyahasitop 😂

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

WTF was this thread?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I don't really care if women do more housework than men. Good, do more housework. Good for you.

Is it a part of culture? maybe.

Most men need a mattress, a tv and a microwave and we're grand. That is how many men would live were it not for having to deal with women, and they'd be fine with it (eventually the living area may develop into a spaceship flight deck but thats a separate issue).

Its women who wanted the same fancy stuff that they end up cleaning. And then complain about having to clean.

Who wanted the fancy matching table lamps set and the antique ceramic statuettes?

Who should clean it?

Go to homestore, see who's in there. Women. Statistically spending the lions share of the household budget too.

• Some men are extremely neat and tidy, I’ve seen that for myself 😁 , neat lads probably being far more tidy than most women, but I’ve seen a muck savage lad, alcoholic, whiskey bottles all over the place at all angles, living in filth, revolting.

Are they tit lamps like temple of doom, then hands up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It is absolutely bizarre that people still profess to be offended by a finding like this in 2023.

Women have agency. They do not have to do housework if they don’t want to. There is no reason to be offended.

30% more housework and 60% more complaining.

This is a joke thread right?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

Not a problem really because those mammies insist on a female foreign housemaid being part of the package to ensure their lovely home is maintained to their high standards.

In all fairness how do you measure equally? Does 2 hours of ironing equate to 2 hours scrubbing heavily skidded jacks? Does the so called law require a time and motion study? Maybe install a time click? Maybe just go the whole hog and live stream the housework, it would be a sure fire viral hit.

People need to either agree what's reasonable between them or just talk a walk. Anyone getting giddy arout the prospect of legislation in this space would really want to take a cold shower (and rinse it down after them

Will the children be procecuted for not taking a daily bath or wearing the same clothes on 2 consecutive days? I'm thinking a lot of this housework could be considered superfluous and possibly a form of mental illness. Rather than procecuting the poor traumatised husbands we should be offering mental health treatment to the poor suffering wives. Life in general would be a lot more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The person with the highest standards of cleanliness will usually do the most cleaning. This is the same in house shares too. I’d question the hours reported though and what people consider housework. You could clean the whole house in two hours. Loading and unloading laundry is not straining neither is loading or unloading dishwashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

The glaring ommission is outside chores, it's briefly referenced that women claim do 15% of these tasks

So men are doing 85% of outside (heavy duty) chores and 40% of housework chores aswell as predominately working full time, earning the most and contributing the most

Sounds like the women referenced in the articles need to stop being so lazy and start pulling their weight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Absolutely agree.

Excessive washing and cleaning is poisonous to the environment, wastes water, produces pollution, and leads to a kind of fastidious fussiness that has nothing to do with health and everything to do with snobbery and egotism.

This kind of "housework" is just not necessary; and demanding that others should help one to do it is just plain manipulative!

Gone. Without a whimper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

Did the study compare like for like in terms of size of accomodation? If I read an article that said we live in accomodation that's generally 30 per cent bigger I'd believe it. Considering we tend to live in houses and they like to live in apartments, maybe it just takes us longer?

Advertisement