Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-vax/science/lockdown folks facing consequences in the courts

Comments

By all accounts she seems to have led a perfectly normal life prior to covid, during which she seems to have fallen in with a group of anti x/y/z'ers and its made a mess of her life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ah. Thats sad. Good few people fell down that hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Classic example of someone being radicalised online. Given her age I'd wager it was Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When you see what can so easily happen online to the likes of a "harmless grandma" it's apparent how disgruntled young men of certain backgrounds can fall into far worse

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CharlieDickens

Kids dont need the covid vaccine, same as they dont need the flu vaccine, it's not anti vax , it's just common sense.

The flu is more risky to kids, yet we never gave them the flu vaccine.

I give my kids the flu vaccine because I'm a responsible parent. You are posting guff.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I see the usual (smaller) crowd of drunken unemployed loons were at the GPO again yesterday. Their numbers are dwindling with every passing week.

Reply to deleted post - deleted

Just to add, the nasal flu vaccine for kids has been around for 2-3 years now and it's imho worth doing - especially as our kids have a very elderly grandmother we don't want to infect.

I always get the flu jab - the worst illness I ever had was a nasty dose of the flu in my late 20s, I could hardly get out of bed for 2 weeks and it was nearly another 2 weeks until I was myself again. What really sucked was that I was living in a house share at the time, I started to feel ill between Christmas and new year and everyone else was away so it was just me there with no nearby friends or family and online grocery delivery was just a pipe dream. After a few days there was no food left, I was too unwell to ride my motorbike, no car, struggled to walk down to the Spar ten mins away to get cans of chicken soup, bread, etc. it felt like I was walking through treacle with a ball and chain on each ankle. People laugh off the flu but it's easy to see how it can kill. It's only a little over 100 years ago it was killing healthy young people in large numbers.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Edit gone already

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anti-Responsibility is a key feature for the "Anti" crowd.

• Advertisement

Shouting at staff didn't work for these 2

RTE news : Mother, daughter in 'no mask' row with Brown Thomas

The special one has been banned from driving.

I was going to quote some bits of the article but honestly I'd be leaving too much out. Have a read, it's honestly astounding the level of stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Complete space cadets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wrong: it's highly unlikely he believes in Space :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems like a fairly futile punishment to ban someone from driving who has been charged for not acknowledging that driving laws and regulations apply to them.

A ban from driving is only of use for people who are not likely to go out and drive without insurance or use fake car number plates etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The laws and punishments (from breaking those laws) apply to everyone. If he is thick enough to ignore the laws and punishments (or to pretend that they don't apply to him), on his head be it but the judge is right to apply the ban. Life is not a game of pretend! You can bet your bottom dollar that if he was wronged in some way, he would make full use of the law to back his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

A guy that worked with my wife went down this road too,he would try to convince you that the need for a licence was all in people's heads and lots of other strange ideas.

He became a joke in the workplace, and was let go when the business shrank in the last recession, a pity because for a long time he was a great guy.

Before he started to have his independent thoughts,he started singing the praises of what he saw as natural drugs like weed and mushrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can confuse the hell of out people like that by 'agreeing' with the idea, referencing (its from a novel, but that's about as real as anything they could "cite") Sangamons Principle about drug complexity; and then showing them the rather complicated structures of THC (53 atoms) and psilocybin (36 atoms).

THC is one of the "most complicated chemicals" for common recreational drugs if you just count atoms; MDMA, cocaine etc have much lower counts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,838 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd a housemate ask me unprompted recently whether or not I believed in the moon landing. He's unemployed so one would think he'd better things to be getting on with than nagging people about the contents of a TikTok video.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Absolutely right to be banned from driving, but he was already driving illegally so other than the tiny fine they gave him I'm not sure what punishment he has actually received.

For someone who drives for employment to get a driving ban is a punishment, or just any normal person who would understand that being banned from driving means that you cannot drive. But someone who doesn't belive that driving rules exist then hitting them with another rule which they also don't belive exists isn't a punishment.

They probably don't believe that money exists either, but do still use it to buy stuff, so reliving them of significantly more than a hundred euros would be a more appropriate punishment.

He has previous conviction(s) for dangerous driving and now for no insurance, he should be in jail.

Scrap the cap!

Hahahaha, play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Anti-vax conspiracy theorists, who claim the Covid-19 vaccine is a “bioweapon” inserting “nanochips” into recipients, are to be hit with a legal bill for tens of thousands of euro by a High Court judge to discourage them from continuing their “unmeritorious and scandalous” lawsuit against the State.

Among the “baseless allegations” made in the lawsuit taken by Sharon Browne, David Egan and Emmanual Lavery are that the HSE was responsible for “mass killing” comparable to Nazi Germany and that the vaccine was “part of a plan by Bill Gates to depopulate the world”.

Scrap the cap!

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

That.is.AWESOME hahaha

Unbelievably it gets worse, these 3 muppets want to have bodies exhumed, and not just a few LMAO

The applicants also sought orders seeking the mass disinterment of the bodies of all vaccinated persons under 80 years of age who died suddenly in the last two and a half years so that they could undergo a specific type of autopsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its more concerning what the feck those loopers have taken rather than any vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,616 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ghoul sued

THE MOTHER OF a Cavan teenager who died by suicide is suing former journalist and anti-vaccine campaigner Gemma O’Doherty for the “unauthorised and misappropriate use” of her son’s image in an article trying to link sudden deaths to Covid-19 vaccines.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

hopefully o'doherty is cleaned out, what an absolutely disgusting and shameful thing for her to do.

she should be ashamed of herself, but you know she won't be at all even though she should, most definitely be.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Ontario doctor struck off for ivermectin and other anti vax nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Looks like all the money Tracey O'Mahoney raised to take a court case isn't anywhere to be seen.

180k raised on a gofundme and nothing

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Money. Let's be honest a lot of this was just pure grifting.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Any chance of the people directly responsible for the failed covid policies that have resulted in excess deaths in this country pretty much every month for over a year facing consequences?

Our media is obsessed with BoJo and Co. in the UK but not a peep about our Government's response and actions oddly enough. Terms of reference for an inquiry here have yet to be even agreed.

• Advertisement

All governments had to take decisions during the pandemic, not sure we did anything dramatically different that warrants prosecution.

I'd settle for consequences of those decisions, doesn't necessarily need to be prosecution. You know, like not being able to swan off into a cushy private sector job, leaving a trail of destruction behind them.

There were imminent scientists and medical people who did warn of the impact covid restrictions would have, and they were roundly ridiculed or hounded out of there jobs, so government can't just conveniently pretend there were no counter arguments to the polices that were put in place.

Okay, what is an example of a decision that warrants consequences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the government never stated or argued that there weren't counter arguments, it's that the counter arguments to the vital public health measures just didn't cut the mustard when examined thurily, and would have failed to allow the aims to be met.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Moving vulnerable, elderly patients out of hospitals and into nursing homes without any testing or disease control measures, curtailing screenings for other diseases and having some of the longest school closures in all of Europe.

How does it relate to the the thread topic though

For the first point it could be argued that hospitals were under pressure

For the second point, we were only slightly above the OECD average in terms of school closures

It's easy with hindsight to pick anything apart, but in terms of punitive actions against individuals during the pandemic, we didn't do anything dramatically different from other countries.

Well part of the title of the thread is anti-science folks facing consequences and I'd consider a lot of the decisions taken by health authorities to be anti-scientific. Sure didn't Tony Holohan allegedly say that they'd "do the science later".

Don't know why people on this thread are so concerned about minnows facing consequences whilst seemingly ignoring those either directly or indirectly responsible for thousands of excess deaths.

You are making statements of facts about responsibility for excess deaths on the basis of absolutely zero evidence. And you talk of "anti science" ???

There's already a thread here for the proposed inquiry you mentioned earlier, which also debunks some of the misinformation and dubious claims made about excess deaths.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058266294/reflection-on-the-pandemic-questions-about-the-authorities-response#latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What’s an imminent scientist? One who’s coming whether you’re ready or not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,838 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This looks like conspiracy nonsense.

Here in the UK, the government handed billions to their cronies, did dirty deals on PPE, ignored the science and danced while tens of thousands of people were dying. They'll never, ever be held accountable for what they did.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If you're looking at anti science decisions then I would suggest the most serious one was made by multiple governments where they denied that masks were necessary just because they couldn't supply them to the public.

I don't mind so much making a bad decision in hindsight but blatantly lying for political purposes does annoy me.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Enlighten us so for the reasons for excess deaths. Because last year it was because of a couple of weeks of hot weather. And yet excess deaths continued. Then it was because of cold weather. And still excess deaths have continued. Are we back to warm weather again?

Or is it the HSE cyber attack delaying reports of deaths? Except other countries that followed similar covid policies are experiencing excess deaths also. Maybe those countries are using the HSE's marvelous IT systems too?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please take discussion of the Government's reactions/non-reactions to the relevant thread:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

They aren't necessary - masks are nonsense and in no way beneficial. The evidence is perfectly clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ericzeking

• Advertisement

So to support a claim made without evidence (which contradicts the scientific consensus) ... you make another claim without evidence, which even if true ( and there is no reason to believe it is) wouldnt prove the original claim.

Come back to us when you have some evidence or logic.

Advertisement