Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think, road users, need to be a bit predictable in their behaviour. Stopping behind and on the extreme right of a car gives the impression your either overtaking or waiting for it to be clear. Swinging left suddenly though, we all have done it I'd say, might be seen as a bit unpredictable.

It's risky too given the car immediately in front wants to go left, the car ahead might just shoot out, and the truck is indicating that it's going into that lane either way the first time you pass it

Its poor, and illegal driving, but it's also poor awareness. Its just seeing the road behind clear to hell with the full reality of the situation there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Op stopped behind the car indicating left allowing them to turn, but then the car couldn't turn because the taxi was blocking the narrow road, so OP maneuvered slowly back around to the left to continue, i don't see much issue with this.

The truck driver had no business darting into the bus lane, illegal and bordering on dangerous driving, at that angle of approach they would have very little view of anything in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

This is exactly what happened. And I ended up waiting behind the stopped car a bit longer than I would normally have done, because the other cyclist immediately filtered past to the left and I had to wait to let him go.

I’m not arguing that my roadcraft was exemplary in this case, because it wasn’t. I’m arguing that the driver of a large truck should not have, as you say, darted into a bus lane like that, especially with two cyclists anywhere in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Trucks shouldn't have blindspots.

The onus is on the owner to provide mirrors and/or cameras to deal with any.

Further the onus is on the driver to check any prior to preforming a manouver.

That being said I would always help as much as possible and would never cycle (or drive) into one.

My main question on the footage above is, was it really that close? Maybe it's the camera - looked quite a gap yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

The onus is on the manufacturer to build trucks with features so that there are no blind shops......a combination of mirrors covering a wider area and camera covering areas where mirrors cannot cover.

Is there any company out there that retrofit existing trucks,/,lorries with these features.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Loads of them. Cameras, mirrors etc are constantly retro-fitted to HGVs, buses, vans, machinery.

Anywhere i've worked we have had to bring existing fleet up to scratch.

Far as i know it's a requirement to retro-fit at least class v and vi mirrors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Not a near miss but an insight into the mentality some motorists have against cyclists. Took the little one to creche on a cargo bike this morning, and parked it outside between 2 cars. I came out to see a car sitting behind my bike with the driver throwing her hands to the sky and shouting at me. Calmly strolled around to her window to see what the issue was, to be told I was taking up three parking spots with my bike. Her inability to park her crossover wasn't the issue, my bike was, even though there was ample parking either side of me that had been vacated by 2 cars as she arrived.

The moron then tried reversing towards my bike thinking I'd jump out of her way, but I was happy to sit there and let her scratch her car and damage my bike under cctv. I won that game of chicken.

The icing on the cake was me sailing by her at a busy junction around the corner, as she was stuck in heavy traffic about 15 vehicles back from the junction. Those vehicles weren't in her way or casuing any obstruction of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

We all recognise that mentality unfortunately. I'm struggling to visualise how you could possibly be seen to be taking up three parking spots though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Her driving was so inept she couldn't park her suv/crossover either side of me, despite the ample space that had been vacated by 2 other cars, so she preferred to throw a tantrum instead.

They're as likely to have that mentality with anyone. Was working for an elderly lady yesterday and while she was taking her car out to let me in a car held up for maybe 20 seconds started aggressively beeping the horn at her. Looking up expecting to let a roar at some young lad about having a bit of respect I was stunned to see a late middle aged woman.

What can you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There’s a reason the whole ‘Karen’ thing has become so widespread, the shoe tends to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

The past two consecutive mornings dopey motorists drove out in front of me at the first roundabout in the Phoenix Park. I was coming from Farmleigh direction and taking the 3rd exit onto Chesterfield Avenue while the motorists were continuing straight from Castleknock Gate. On both occasions I was covered in the fabled high-vis, had a strong front light that I use year round and was even signaling but of no benefit when the sleepy motorists don’t look and yield. I let a roar and on both occasions get a startled look as if I’d descended from space to magically appear at the drivers door.  The first driver got such a fright she nearly left the road and I thought she was going to take the first exit and d-tour down the North Road instead, however after the initial swerve she then took a second attempt at trying to strike me down. At least the second driver this morning apologised with use of the park anywhere lights after I’d braked and let him continue with his maneuver.

One of the worst sections of my commute despite it being a small narrow roundabout with a 30km/h limit. That and the section opposite Liberty Hall on the quays with drivers trying to swerve from both lanes taking a left prior to the Custom House, at least that section is helped recently with some bollard placement just after O’Connell bridge so I take the lane there from the bridge now instead of just from the Luas tracks previously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time out in over a month, two incidents in just 27km.

first was here - i'd crossed over the M50 heading north of ballymun, and this section is always somewhere you need to pay attention. a lad in a large rigid lorry coming off the M50 stopped at the yield sign, and when i was about 10m away, gunned it. one of those '****, swerve right or swerve left?' moments

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4102235,-6.265836,3a,75y,7.74h,93.94t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sL8-SqUZ1e0YZfXZqeAGDgw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DL8-SqUZ1e0YZfXZqeAGDgw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D114.81335%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

second was on the road on the loop past the boot inn, between the runways. a very quiet road, but some lad in a wine coloured mondeo coming towards me swerved across the road, straddling both lanes, and leaned on the horn as he came past. i've no idea what his major malfunction was.

I send people out near the boot inn to protect my hardest gained kom

I've had a couple of near misses on this road and no end of agro if there's a bit of traffic about.

I don't use the cycle lane when i'm out for a spin, it's grand for bringing the kids to school, but i basically cycle over all the pedesetrian crossings.

It is everything that's wrong with design of cycle paths. It ends for field enterances!!! They just give up at the roundabouts and delete the cycle lane. It starts in grass!

https://irishcycle.com/2023/05/17/it-looks-grand-so-why-wont-some-cyclists-use-this-cycling-infrastructure/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

That is absolutely horrendous. Look at the amount of wasted space. The height of the kerb. The narrowness of the road. That's before even getting into the points you mentioned, which seem to be part of the design brief for every new cycle path - yield for farmers' fields, make it impossible to get from the road to the bike lane and back (in case, god forbid, there's an obstruction on the cycle path or you miss the initial entrance to the cycle path and find yourself on the road), encourage pedestrians and cyclists to mix, start and stop at random spots for now reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Near miss this morning going around this roundabout. It's very common for drivers to neglect to look right here so I was watching out for, and noticed, that the driver approaching the roundabout wasn't slowing down so was touching the brakes and hugging the kerb. As predicted she only noticed me a few feet to my left, she slammed on as did I, came close to falling off as the rear wheel skidded a bit and of course I got an extended beep for my trouble. No clue that she was in the wrong.

A colleague walking to work was crossing the road saw it and gave me a wave so at least I came away with a chuckle rather than effing and blinding the driver and grumpy for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Unreal I'd a guy once tell me if I hadn't been cycling so fast him pulling out of a junction in front of me wouldn't have mattered! Some people can never be in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Motorists seem to think you're doing 15-20kph like a lot of casual/family cyclists they see. They can't comprehend that if you're doing anything close to 30kph that you're clearly moving at a faster speed. I'd say I get cut off mainly because they can't judge your speed.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a car at White Oaks in Clonskeagh pull right out in front of me, I seen it coming luckily. He looked left but only glanced right and then just started staring intensely to his left and then gunned it. If I hadn't slowed he would have ran over my back wheel. He only noticed me half way through the turn as I had to stop in the middle of the road but his brain could not compute. It was like I spawned in place.

I'm pretty sure that I would have been in the right if I hadn't noticed all the subtle cues going on but have no interest in having that on my headstone. It is worrying, if a car had been coming down that road at speed (which happens) he would have been dead. Surely any regular driver in Dublin knows other drivers are equally sh1t and should be prepared for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a near miss, but came around this near 90 degree bend the other day, and where the house entrance on the right is, a panda bin lorry had stopped to pick up a bin. so instead of waiting, the guy driving the large artic behind decided to pull around him - on a blind bend - and totally blocked the road as he inched past. his destination was about 700m away, a large fruit and veg distribution place.

needless to say the three other motorists waiting behind decided to play follow my leader and came around the bin truck too, despite seeing me waiting to get past.

that road is often chock full of artics heading to ad from the fruit and veg place, not a road you should overtake on blind bends on.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5107207,-6.3484455,3a,75y,203.88h,81.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMYNOhcwdItwy1DhMmxBPvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have had similar on the south circular Road where there are 2 bus stops on either side of the road. When there is a bus stopped at either or both, some traffic _must_ overtake, leaving me with just enough room.

The other day, I moved right, towards the centre of the road and the oncoming car "had to" stop. He glared and pointed madly at me, not realizing (or I wish he would realize) that what he was complaining about me doing is exactly what he wanted to do i.e. drive at someone on the other side of the road an make them stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Didn't you know that you're expected to move over for oncoming drivers driving on the wrong side of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Thats a feckin dangerous corner & junction on a good day

yep.

i've twice in my life had to ring the gardai after happening on the scene of a collision. one of those two occasions was on the bend nearer dennigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Popped out to run an errand over lunch. Rear camera had been charging, and I forgot to put it back on the bike before I left - which I really regret now as I only have front-facing footage of this Merc (162D11801), who was determined to squeeze past me multiple times.

He passes me three times - at 13 sec, 1:00, and 1:54.

The front camera really doesn't do justice to the incident at the 1 minute mark. I'm in my lane and slowing for a red light. You can just see the nose of his car slide right up next to me, giving me no space. You can actually hear my sharp intake of breath when it gets up next to me - I really wasn't expecting it. He also tried to roll his car forward into the junction to prevent me from going ahead of him.

The mental thing is (as with most city driving) - he was making no progress every time he got ahead of me.

I actually passed him again after the end of this video, but by this time I was (thankfully) in a segregated cycle lane. His female passenger noticed me though, and leaned across the driver to wag her finger at me. I will never understand the mentality of some people.

Tbh i think there's two of you in it there, i wouldn't have bothered squeezing back past at the first set of lights, they clearly moved in to try to stop you doing so which probably annoyed you both, i'd have just let them on their way.

Is there a reason why you didn't swing into the empty left lane towards the end of the video to let them by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

You're right in that, looking back at it now, I think he did move to block me off at the first set of lights. At the time, I didn't think all that much of it, as there is an empty parking space immediately to the left which I used to (safely) go back to the front (as is my right).

As for the lane - the left lane goes left at the end of the road. The right lane goes right. I want to go right, that's why I'm in that lane. It's the same reason the car is in the right-hand lane.

Advertisement