Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Supposedly they dont want another young guard beside LaMelo so they'll take Miller. Thats the only theory really.

But as we both said it leaves Portland in a very weird spot as the #3 pick being Scoot will have a far bigger trade/star value than it being Miller.

And thus its an incredibly weird stand-off as until Charlotte actually make their pick Portland (and anyone wanting to deal with them for #3) are stuck in Limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ja gets a 25 game suspension. It rules him out of All NBA but I think he’s very lucky it’s not a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He should be delighted with that. They went relatively easy on him. Really is his last chance now.

Keeps them viable for the playoffs next year too. They need to have a long hard think about their culture and how they are controlling the lockerroom and how expectations on behaviour are internally influenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yea, I guess he is lucky considering the woke culture we are in now and obviously he broke the rules of his employment, crazy to think about how much money he left behind but just shows you it doesn’t really matter because they get paid so much anyway. This also effects future earnings because he won’t be in the all NBA as you say.

But my god if he comes back motivated and all guns blazing….then he will be a force

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Washington sold him for peanuts. I know it's a mammoth contract but Bradley Beal can pull a FRP, they should've at least gone for Ayton!

Will we ever see a No Trade Clause again?

I thought Beal to Miami was the move in progress.

Didn't expect that!

In the end, a No Trade Clause forces the holding team to accept the best price the player’s chosen destination can muster.

Owners should resist it at all costs.

Apparently Washington are now trying to flip Paul to one of the LA teams for a better return.

They had to give Beal away because of that insane clause and NOW they are trying to get some sort of return.

That’s a daft move IMO. It’s shocking that Durant is the best defensive player on that team now. Insane offensive potential for sure but next to zero defence. A classic “but there’s only one ball” move.

I’d take Denver over them any day.

• Advertisement

They had no choice. The contract was crazy without the no trade clause. That clause made it next level insane. It also shows how poor the market is him - like surely Miami could have topped that if they wanted? You have to assume they didn’t and want Lillard instead.

After the Gobert trade last year bombed teams are just afraid of making trades like that again. This is a market correction for sure.

Bradley Beal - I just don’t see it going forward, he is good but that’s all he will be in my opinion. I honestly don’t get that trade on a lot of levels

wizards didn’t get much and Iam not sure Beal will help Phoenix that much, I like Beal but I just think he is ok, won’t push a team on that much but in todays market thsy could of got mors

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Beal will score for you all day long but he won't help your defense.

Thats why I dont even get how he fits at all beside Booker.

They have 3 extremely high scoring players, Durant, Beal and Booker but no point guard to playmake and no defensive anchor.

I think Suns are worse off.

I think Wizards were just happy to get away from Beals contract.

Suns will surely trade Ayton now, they need bodies.

They were. Their new chief exec is the same guy who traded Blake Griffin from LA shortly after he signed his long term deal with them. They wanted Beal gone, but they still should have gotten a better return than this.

Bill Simmons saying his "sources" tell him Zion won't be a New Orleans player come Thursday night. If a trade is to happen I'd imagine it's Charlotte, Portland, or Houston with the 2, 3, or 4 picks.

Have to disagree with the reactions here. Beal is far from perfect (as is the fit), nor was selling the house for Durant but - particularly once you have Durant - what better options did they have? Try and move Paul for something and use a MLE to grab a role guy and have more flexibility to fill out the roster. Or just get an All Star level offensive player and impose your offense on your opponents come playoff time.

This will make them better in the playoffs, no question in my mind. And they have gotten substantially better in a year. 39 year old Chris Paul and Bridges and role guys isn’t better than having Durant and Beal.

They’re all in and will cause huge guarding issues if they all make it healthy to next April. Take a swing imo.

• Advertisement

Put simply here. The immediate opportunity cost is next to zero. Sure, this will suck in 2026 but you already did the Durant trade.

Draymond opts out and hits UFA

Was always going to happen, media making it a bit sensational but he is just looking for a longer term deal, it seems like he wants it warriors but I guess the Warriors are in a hard spot as the tax implications will be quite significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Corvo

Yeah it’s already reported he wants a deal that falls in line with Curry’s time wise, likely a 3 year / 75m

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There is such a thing as having too many offensive weapons. It can create disharmony in a team too.

There's also the proven model which is defense wins championships.

Miami were held under 100 points in their four losses.

The Celtics were held under 100 points in the Warriors four wins the year before.

You'll have the odd year where teams both score high in the finals but it's normally great defense that wins championships.

The Sun's should break the bank to get an elite defender instead of another offensive player.

That’s all fine theory but, as is explained above, they didn’t have any other “break the bank” moves. This is the deal they could do; or else they keep Paul or else they sign a mid level player.

You’re (as always) entitled to your opinion. I, most here, and most of the non “hot take” media think otherwise. Some have even suggested they’re in a worse position because they’ve removed depth.

It looks like they’re constructing a roster of individuals, not a complementary “team” - and there’s a huge difference. Anyone watching Denver this past season will see the value of having a team designed to work together. The fact Isiah Thomas ( one of the worst GMs ever) is advising Ishbia on personnel is bad enough, but Ishbia in the comments and podcasts I’ve heard seems to think you just throw a few big names together and it just works. In short, I don’t trust the management of this franchise when it comes to player evaluation.

They have no defence bar DA, who by all accounts they’re looking to flip. The problem is there’s not much of a market for him. Worse again, they have little perimeter defence - arguably the most important defensive slot in today’s guard and wing driven league.

Beal has only been successful when he’s the 1 or 2 option. He’ll be - by some distance - the 3 in Phoenix. And I don’t see enough versatility in his game to adapt.

You now have 3 incredibly high usage rate players with very differing efficiency ratings on the court at the same time. Historically, that does not work without someone sacrificing enormously. There really is only one ball. I’m sure there’ll be days when they blow out teams and all 3 score 25-30+ and it’ll look great, but when it doesn’t….what’s the reaction like? What’s the effect on chemistry?

I applaud Phoenix “going all in”. I just think they’ve made an absolute balls of their decision(s) on who to go all in with.

IMO, Denver are still far better than PHX.

Just because you can make a move doesn’t mean it’s the right move.

They could have done nothing, waited until Jan and see who is available, who wants out of their situation then, who is asking for a trade etc. A lot can and usually does happen in a few months in the NBA. Beal is a crazy move even without the no-trade. Now they’re stuck with him. There’s more than one reason the trade market for him was crap.

Denver didn't play anyone in this playoff run who forced them to drop guys from their rotation. MPJ not starting is about as hairy as it got.

Their toughest series was against Phoenix, and Beal would absolutely help them if you reran that contest. Denver would have to make rotational sacrifices because you have that 3rd elite offensive player; but also Durant could potentially be freed up from offensive load to focus more defensively. And he's a very good defender when he can focus on it.

If you look at their series specifically against Denver, they got better. Whether they got as much improvement? Different question. But the opportunity cost here is very low. That's the mistake in analysis.

Finally, Beal makes the regular season easier. Having a 3rd high usage guy smooths out sitting, injuries, etc.

• Advertisement

I was wondering what angle you’d take on dismissing Denver’s title, that’s an interesting one 🙄

No, Beal wouldn’t help them if you ran that series back. You seem to think he adds 30points without taking anything away from Booker and KD, who had two if the all time highest scoring duo games in play off history in their 2 wins. There is only one ball! And that’s before we mention he’s a sieve on the other end. Tell me - who is guarding Jokic? Who is guarding Murray?

No one is saying the opportunity cost isn’t low, why did you say people are? I applaud them for going all in, but the fit here is awful.

No one is saying Beal is trash.

The problem is he doesn’t fit. His game is broadly too similar to Booker’s and KD’s.

Advertisement