Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxis not accepting card payment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You havent a clue, how do you think a taxi driver knows everyone within a 50 mile radius of the town he/she works in? they dont.

1998 corolla? shows what you know, do you not know about the 10 year rule?

Unless you actually see them hiding money from revenue, the taxi driver and chinese restaurant, you dont know why they might prefer cash, so stop acting like you know everything about other peoples business.

They can prefer anything they want, but they must accept card if the customer chooses to pay using it

😂 meanwhile in the real world. They will leave you there so its a good idea to have cash on you, unless you like walking home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Because I'm friends with taxi drivers who work down the country, mentioned it very early on in this thread before you arrived to stink it up with your weird bootlicking, and they would know everyone who lives in the backarse of nowhere because, spoiler alert, they go home by taxi and there aren't that many taximen in the backarse of nowhere.

Anyway, you're a bad faith poster and I'm not getting dragged into this with you again, you were thoroughly debunked last time you tried this "cash is king, spit and a handshake, the guards will think your mean" country bumpkin routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Consonata

Feel like this discussion is very overwrought. It seems relatively straightforward that the Taxi person has to accept either cash, or card, regardless of whether the customer has indicated either or before sitting into the Taxi. Thems the rules now. If the Taxi driver is one of the few who doesn't have a card machine, or their card machine is "broken", this seems to be a problem for the Taxi driver, not the customer. Given most days people don't carry cash for very valid reasons, seems sensible that Taxis should have to offer both options.

im better than friends with them. 😂

if You work in a busy town at night, you sometimes get trips that are in the middle of nowhere 1 hour away, these people might not go out 2 times per year and you think all the taxi drivers will know them? you need to just think about that for a second. I said trips to the back arse of nowhere, not trips from the back arse of nowhere.

You are just a taxi driver hater for some reason but thats up to you. not sure what your second paragraph is all about. bad faith poster, whatever that means.

It's so simple the only people who could have an issue with it are the people trying to pull a fast one.

To which they can receive a 150 eur fine for "Unreasonable refusal by the driver to carry a passenger."

Plus a 200 eur fine for "Failure to accept cashless payment"

I don't know about you, but I don't know many taxi drivers who are that stupid seeing as the plate and driver info is clearly visible. Its not like they'd get away scott free.

Maybe the drivers you know are morons though 🤷‍♂️

By any chance maybe some of them are based in Galway city as there were 20 drivers fined there recently

Or some of the 80 odd others that have been fined

You post in bad faith, make silly claims that are easily disproven, like that a taxi driver can arrive at your house the next morning with the guards if he won't accept payment, or how the majority of people don't have contactless cards, or this doozy

There have been taxi drivers caught transporting big quantities of drugs and kept their psv licence

Or the time you compared people demanding to pay with card to nazi Germany.

Any of these sound familiar, I can provide links.

• Advertisement

Ok as long as you can prove they refused your card. which would be hard. your word against theirs.

I couldn't care less to be honest but this thread is strange, why the hate for taxi drivers? they arent your enemy, sometimes their card readers actually dont work, sumup is really unreliable lately which a lot of people in business will know.

Camera phones might not exist in your world, luckily they exist in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭poppers

Bit rich that the GOV insist taxi drivers take card but bus Eireann is cash only unless you have a leap card.

🤣 sounds like something you would do, how sad.

Going by the recent reports, that bar appears to met about 30% of the time

So a 1 in 3 chance of receiving nearly 350 eur in fines

Not sure I'd take those odds if I was a driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

"I couldn't care less to be honest" says you. Clearly you care a lot judging by the shitehawking you're doing here. You a taxi man yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many of the local drivers to me round down when telling you the fare. They probably nearly always get it and more in a tip when they do.

But only an idiot would go asking expecting any reduction. And we're talking max 80c anyway!

Lots do give good discounts especially if its a good fare say 100 euro + fares.

• Advertisement

• honestly like with revolut there’s no excuse. Even if you don’t have revolut as the customer it’s a simple job of going to revolut.me/revtaghere and pay that way with apple/google pay or your card.. simples

• Just on this point out of curiosity if I was getting a taxi and had only €20 note and the fare was €10.

do I have to hand over the €20 and eat the loss or what? 🤔

Get your card or enabled device out and problem solved. No need for messy old cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

So when I get a taxi I have to be prepared to undertake bank wire transfers in the backseat of someone elses car, just in case they cant meet their own required ability to accept payment? Do you see how this is ridiculous?

• not the question I asked.

Since to give change is not a legal requirement I am genuinely curious what the outcome in such a situation would be.

If a taxi isn’t obliged to give change and I don’t have the exact fare what then? Presumably I’m still obligated to pay? I suppose I’ve just lost the money.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. It's not clear but it just shows that the passenger should just pay by card to avoid any nonsense.

maybe you didnt read what I posted? I said the next day you could transfer the money to the driver, instead of the ridiculous idea of having him/her drive for an hour to get to your house for the cash.

It's totally ridiculous. For my account you'd need a card reader as well. FT!

Take the card driver or jog on would be my attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, basically.

Normally something will be worked out whatever way it can, but it's not the drivers issue that you didn't have the exact amount.

I'd expect to be warned in advance though!

I did indeed mistake what you were stating. I am not sure how many taxi drivers would be happy providing their bank details to a complete stranger, perhaps if you were one you would have no problem, but I doubt many drivers would want to or would have them to hand to do so.

From my own perspective I dont really want to make unnecessary banking processes to people I dont have some form of relationship with, and deal with the hassle of "Oh it hasnt come through yet" or "I never got it, can you check with bank or resend" with a stranger. In such an example as we have been discussing, I have only one form of payment on me which I know you are legally obliged to accept (which may be partly reason for only having one form of payment on me) which I am willing to make payment of said fare, end of. If there is an issue with the drivers equipment, its not on the customer to offer solutions nor accept any offered by you (though as ive said I would purpose cash the following day).

Im sure its not ideal that the drivers equipment means they are not able to take payment, and I would sympathise with them having to drive out again to collect a cash payment, but perhaps they should ensure their legally required equipment is working at all times? Or if its a signal issue, use hotspot on your phone. This is available on all phones these days, and uses very limited data.

• Advertisement

• honestly I don’t understand why a business would refuse to give someone their IBAN..

not that in this country at the min it would make any odds without instant sepa. But regardless, with just your IBAN, what exactly do you think any customer is going to do?

transfer you money? 🤔

Was just going to post the same.

I have given my bic and Iban to lots of customers. Never any issues.

Which is why I said I wasnt sure how many would be comfortable. Could be 100% for all I know :)

Well your own answers have given you away as a taxi driver

Not that many were in any doubt

Still, kinda weird given your earlier response when asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sumup is 1.7% +5c per transaction.

Say an average fare of 12 euro is 25.4c with Sumup so in reality it's about 2%

NTA gave a 1% rose in fares. That assumes they consider that 50% of fares will remain as cash. I am not sure if that is the reality at this stage.

As a little task lads might look at the time it take for the next taxi fare. Give it 5 minutes between fares( and that is a minimum) and figure out his hourly rate. Out of that he must pay his car costs( tax insurance, licence fees fuel maintenance and replacement costs). Add to that 6 weeks wages for holidays and allow for if anything happens and he cannot work.

On tax I am an agnostic. In the long run card machines raise the cost of services. The reality is if the business has to pay more tax's and charges it will charge more for its services simulate to insurance and diesel costs. It's immaterial whether it's a plumber or a painter. If the market will not bear the costs then they either accept the reduction in income or exit the business.

In this case it's a regulated entity a taxi driver. If it's not viable for them to operate after a while you will see a reduction in the service as drivers leave the business

I have my difficulties with taxi drivers but there is a need them. However from some of the comments here it easy to see why they may exit or as they retire or reduce there service level ( many older drives only work days finishing from 6-9 pm) or take on more contract work. There is many taxi drivers making a living doing hospital or commercial work

It's easy to see why, if you end up in an area of poor coverage ( and I have seen sum up machines not work) the attitude of a free fare can piss off drivers mobile coverage is patchy in places.

1-2 trades people I get work done by will actually send you a link over WhatApp or email you can pay over. However it depends on a certain amount of honesty if a taxi drive was dependent on it. Revolute isan option as well

Generally to avoid charges the trades people or contractors I deal with regularly like to be paid via bank transfer.

However after all that these technologies will rise costs and they may fail to attract younger workers into the industry.

Next time before you get narky over it consider that a bit of cash may keep him in the industry.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Finally someone who gets it!

The reality is that lots of drivers HAVE left the industry already or are choosing not to work at night.

• Where are you getting 25.4c?

1.7% of 1200 is 20.4, but it’s 12% of €12 here so it’s 0.204c in transaction fees & then 5c.

So €12 is in reality costing only 5.24c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Taxi drivers have to ensure that many things are working correctly before entering service. They have to have their taxi plate correctly and securely on the roof with the light working, ensure the car is road worthy with correct tyres, engine running, seat belts. They have to ensure that they have the meter working, licence displayed, mobile phone in use (personal safety), probably another phone / app device / radio to accept fares.

It really is not much of a stretch to have a card machine that runs off the same 3g / 4g networks that your mobile works off in a functioning order. For example the RPSI who run steam trains (yes steam trains), takes cards in their bar on board throughout the whole country with very little hassle on 3g. To tell me that there is a location in Dublin City that doesn't have any signal is pushing it.

99% of people pay their correct tax every year. It's the small remaining people who moan the most that don't pay their correct taxes that are being forced into reality that you have to pay tax like everyone else. If I earn €50k and a taxi driver earns €50k after expenses, why should they pay tax on €30k (say €20k cash) and me on the full amount. It's the same earnings. What we will be left with is more professional operators rather than the fella doing it to collect a few quid under the table for some holidays and a few pints.

Sum up charge 1.7%+5 cent so

1200*0.17= 20.4 add to that 5 cent makes 25.2 cent I cannot understand your maths

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

• I don’t think it’s charged in cent is my point I guess 😎

I think they use whole euro values so 1.7% of €12 not 1200 cent.

it just seems very unlikely you’re going to be charged €170 on €1,000 for example. €17 seems far more likely.

just to be clear I am not saying you’re math is wrong I just think the way you’re calculating it (using cents not whole euros) is unlikely to be the way they do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

I only get a taxi maybe once a year, if even, even if it's the airport I generally get a bus or that.

After one particular long haul, I got a taxi and it was the taxi man who mentioned the new law on the drive home of his own accord.

General chat about the trip and that. Came to payment. There was an issue with the machine. I genuinely had no cash. The machine issue was then resolved.

When it was, the machine was hovered into the back seat to tap. An extra tenner on the display almost half covered by his hand.

When I mentioned it compared to the metred fare, he said it was sunny and his finger must have pressed the wrong digit. Quickly reduced to the real fare. Gave him the benefit of the doubt but we both knew that excuse was a load of balls.

I know it's one experience and not representative across the board. But nah, will leave taxis off another while again. Some fellas in the industry are ruining it for the rest of yous.

• Also I know 1200 cent is €12 but when getting a percentage value it is significantly different when you take 1.7% of 1,200 or 1.7% of 12.

The overall value in currency stays the same in that regard but a percentage value will always be bigger with a bigger number so I just can’t imagine they value the transaction in cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

maths not your strong point?

1.7% of 12 is .204 so 20.4 cents

• Not particularly maybe I got that wrong but I just can’t imagine paying 25c on €12 🤔

Ya there is a percentage of dodgy characters in the business. There is two lads locally that do it in Limerick neither would be salt of the earth types neither would probably do you either.

However one of them no longer works nights and if he works on a Saturday he finishes at 6pm. Mostly only Monday to Friday and finishes at 6-9 pm depending on the day.

As he said it's not worth the hassle after 8-9pm especially Thursday or Friday night or after 6pm Saturday. Someone gets sick in the car what you earned for the night is gone plus probably the following day. People getting stroppy with drink. I imagine as well as younger people all use cards virtually no cash work as well as getting a long-distance fare where you will get no return fare on the journey

It makes more sense to work days. Ould ladies doing the shopping, running some one for a hospital appointment and collecting someone else to take home. Doing a parcel run for an MNC or a medical run for a hospital ( mind you they will not accept them through Cashless app it only through another one that is a set fee per month)

I think he said that APPs were costing him a few Hundred/ month cannot remember exactly.

Slava Ukrainii

It might seem small but as the saying goes it comes out of the bottom line.

Probably costing at least 40c/ KM to run a taxi on car costs alone. In Dublin they tend to be more expensive than elsewhere. From what I saw it was about 15 euro for a 15 minute trip( when distance was small) so taxi probably turning over 40/ hour ( assuming little time between calls) and generally its was a Sunday night and after 10 pm I would be there so there is a certain premium added and we would have 3+ in the taxi.

Slava Ukrainii

Letting 1 taxi driver who may or may not have made a genuine mistake, put you off getting taxis is like a taxi driver quitting the job after 1 abusive customer, which there are loads of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Just to point out, people are giving out about card transaction fees, but remember that banks also charge cash handling fees when you lodge the cash to your account, so that needs to be taken into account when calculating the net cost, along with the fact that you don't need to spend petrol driving to the bank, and your time standing in a Q for the machine.

Not to mention the imporved safety by not having hundreds of euros in cash sitting in the car to be robbed.

• Advertisement

Post edited by pgj2015 on

Advertisement