Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,039 ✭✭✭✭rob316

People coming off 1.5% to 6% now, it's going to lead to some amount of defaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

House near me sold 3 times. Last one pulled out because no fibre available at the house.

Its back on the market today. She told me yesterday that there are 30 viewings booked for Friday and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

How long does it usually take for houses to go from for sale to sale agreed? Im currently interested in a property that has no bids after 2.5 months. It is expensive in a good location but other houses in its range have come and gone in the period. Sellers have no interest in budging from asking price which seems a little odd considering it is on the market for quite a while now but maybe they all take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

How long is a piece of string? For my house, we went sale-agreed a week after I made my offer. There's no real time as all cases will be different.

Sometimes people only want to sell for a particular price. They are probably not too pushed about selling it for lower and will hang on to it rather than go lower. We were like that when we decided to move. We said if we didnt get x amount for our old house then were happy to just stay where we were forever instead of moving. I think you'll see more of this if prices start falling. People might rethink their decision to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

most schools had 35-40 pupils in the 80’s that was one of the main reasons teachers were all on strike…also remembered having to wear coats in class as there was no money for heating…there was no money for proper toilet paper and instead all schools had grease proof toilet paper.

the reason you could buy on one salary was that as soon as a woman got married her job was gone regardless of what she wanted as the belief was her place was at home… If you think that is better than today then you’re having a laugh and don’t fully appreciate what it was like back then.

You seem surprised that people would chose to shoot themselves in the foot and yet there are post after posts wishing for a recession in hope of cheap houses.

I remember that tracing paper toilet roll :)

We didnt even have walls in our school between the classrooms. Just curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

You must have gone to my school as you described my experience to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭wassie

I think you dont actually understand what ESG is, hence your fear of it. With respect to built assets & construction, ESG in the EU is underpinned by EU Taxonomy.

The central premise of which is to redirect capital towards assets which are sustainable across their entire lifecycle (i.e. design, construction & operation) by disincentivising the use of carbon. Not exactly sinister. Many of the larger insititutional housing funders & asset owners are now recognising this and pivoting accordingly.

Change for the better at scale (i.e better outcomes for the general population) happens much faster when its financially rewarding to do so.

• Advertisement

the reason you could buy on one salary was that as soon as a woman got married her job was gone regardless of what she wanted as the belief was her place was at home…

And out of that was borne the Family Home Protection Act 1976. Designed by the Govt to protect wives and children from being made homeless by a wayward husband/father. Whilst it was no doubt relevant back in the day, I wonder if it is today?

This legislation is what has restricted the banks for reposessing defaulters (especially post GFC) at scale, one of the main reasons (the other being capital requirements) why we have reduced competition in the mortgage lending market here. Our banks here are cr@p, are not innovative and have sh!tty customer service. My local branch still shuts at lunchtime - right when everyone else at work wants to do their banking! Even the Post Officeis open at lunch!

It also forces lenders to have policies that married couples must apply jointly for a mortgage, so that in the event either spouse has a credit issue, then they are generally excluded from getting a mortage with any of the main lenders, even if that loan can be serviced adequately by one salary. The banks simply wont consider an application which is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

House listed at 415k..then relisted at 435k…has current asking price of 500k…in a community council area in shankill ! Madness is not going away

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

https://www.esr.ie/article/view/1384

The Long-term Consequences of the Irish Marriage Bar

A Marriage Bar is the requirement that women in certain jobs must leave that job when they marry. Ireland had a Marriage Bar in place until the 1970s.

We do so by comparing the outcomes of women who were affected by the Marriage Bar with the outcomes of women who were not affected by the Marriage Bar. Regression analysis shows that women affected by the Marriage Bar have shorter working lives, lower individual income but higher household wealth at present, more children and more educated children. 

A sledge hammer but one that seemed to have a positive long term impact. You're getting the 70s/ 80s mixed up too. The world has moved on since the 80s. The commodore 64kB was a legend back then now computers have 16GB or 250,000 times more RAM. Toilet paper has changed too and amazingly these innovations were breought in by the generations that had a mother at home.

I'm not suggesting going back but it's not as grim as you're making it out. Our class only had 32 children.

Post edited by grumpyperson on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yes, I'm putting it down to the Summer selling/buying season in full swing, along with possibly a rush to draw down before the next rate hike.

I’m not getting the 70’s 80’s mixed up…teachers strikes because of class sizes etc was the mid 80’s. All that I was pointing out is that buying a house on one person’s salary back then was common because it was a time when women were forced to give up work when they got married.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

ESG is not exclusively based on carbon emissions. There's a large amount of "social guidance" included in it designed to shape behaviours according to whomever decides x behaviour is good ESG versus bad ESG.

Majority of companies just game the ESG system to get better scores, particularly by boosting the social aspect and who cares about carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

By the mid/late eighties alot of women were holding onto there jobs. I got married in 1991 and my better half hne er considered giving up her job.

However houses were much more basic. Friend bought a new house in the mid 1980's. The house had a back boiler on the open fire no oil or gas. It's was not painted, no landscaping builder was selling as he build so tarmac was not completed until all houses build( back then there was a 50/50 chance the builder would not do it).

There was no appliances supplied. Teak single glazed windows( lucky enough there was still builders doing softwood ones). There was no floor covering. Attic was insulated but walls were not and there would have been little insulation under the floor. Electrical points would have been minimal example sitting room a double on one side of the chimney breast and one on the back wall. A single in the hall. Bedrooms generally had a double point. There was no onsite.

There was a kitchen but it was a row of units along one wall the narrow one. No utility. I would have know a few of his neighbours ( I actually lived there for a few years and most of the women continued to work throughout there lives

Slava Ukrainii

It wasnt even that they had to give up their jobs. One income would support a family and buy a house so women who chose to stay at hme with their children could easily do this. Now we are in a situation where both halves of a couple NEED to work just to live, never mind get a mortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Having near 20% unemployment also helps make housing cheap...

I'd say the 1 in 5 who didn't have a job don't look back on it quite as fondly as some in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The marriage ban was gone around 77, I was in school in the 70s and 80s and I don't remember a single strike day. I do remember the cold and the terrible toilet roll though.....ouch

Houses were definitely easier to buy. But the country wasn't the success that it is today. I personally prefer the Ireland of today, and I am currently paying huge rent in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I know quite well what ESG is. My reservations come from my own belief that the people who are in charge (at least in the West) are not acting in the best interests of the people over whom they govern. I'm fully aware that I may be wrong, but after the last few years, I for one simply do not trust the state or global financial system.

Also, how can you be so sure that the policies that ESG espouses are indeed beneficial? All that I see in the West is an increasing costs, declining standards of living and society that is fragmenting.

I could be wrong, of course...

How exactly are they gaming the system and what scores are you referring to? There is a lot of talk here of ESG as a concept, but little discussion about the facts, actual implimentation and the operation of such.

Its easy to paint ESG as some kind of woke movement without proper understanding of what it is. Its not surprising most folks dont understand what it is, given many large corporate organisations are still getting their head around this.

My point served to show how one aspect of ESG, given this is a property thread, applies to built assets & construction. Personally, I am a skeptical person, but once I started looking into the actual machinations of ESG legislation, it dawned on me that change towards a sustainable society wont happen unless it is mandated. A (big) part of this change is to use the carrot & stick approach by incentivising capital away from the carbon economy.

Post edited by wassie on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Conspiracy theory Forum is below this one. This is a final warning on this, there have been others on this thread before.

Do not reply to this post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

May I add toilets in schools are not great at present moment. Schools which are in good areas. We are behind many European countries when it comes with facilities in schools. Sorry they should use tax payers money more wisely,all this tax they do so well from so many employed people.

Why do people bring the analogy that house prices are higher now because in the 70s school toilets were poor... School toilets are still poor and they shouldn't be!

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

grocery price inflation in UK running at about 16.5% - 17.2% according to Sky News are we any better here?

many house holds here now coming under pressure again with cessation of energy credits while still no sign of price cuts from providers

as one previous poster mentionned the real pain has yet to come when many short term fix rate mortgage terms expire and tens of thousands of mortgage holders brace themselves when they find they are on much higher rates costing hundreds extra every month

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, very bad in UK, food price inflation is unreal, 19%!!!

• Food and non-alcoholic beverage prices continued to rise in April and contributed to high annual inflation, however, the annual inflation rate of food and non-alcoholic beverages eased, from 19.2% in the year to March 2023, to 19.1% in the year to April 2023.

It is lower here, but still bad at 12.7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Far more teacher training days now than there were strikes in the 80's

Covid and the energy crisis have brought the coats back into the classroom

In the 80's mortgage lending was 2.5 times income 1 plus 0.5 times income 2 giving a total of 3 times income, we are now at 8 times (4 + 4) with new homes prices well out of reach of the median income. This is with ftb grant, shared ownership, and tax breaks for developers.

This pretty much underlines how one sector has held the entire economy to ransom in relatively short period of time. Pure dysfunction and cronyism

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Most people exiting 3 or 5 year loans will go from +70%LTV to less than 70%. That will save them probably 1/4-1/2 a percentage point

As especially those exiting 5 year fixed terms will have been paying 2.7%+ and maybe more as the real reduction in rates from the arrival of Advant etc did not happen until 2019/20.

The pain may not be as bad as many expect. As well it's not going to bring more houses onto the market

Slava Ukrainii

You mention Advant, but they only take the low hanging fruit by only accepting applications from absolute prime borrowers.

I dont know what Advant's market share is, but Finance Ireland and ICS Mortgages had 15% market share between them in 2022. Their lending has since stalled. FI is now 6.2% variable. If they cant source alternative source of funds to lend at comparable rates there is a risk they will exit the mortgage market, further consolidating the stranglehold AIB & BoI have on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

I don't know why people weren't more up in arms about the upping of the loan-to-income ratio late last year. It was such an obvious attempt to prop up house prices by the government, with no real benefit to people other than upping the amount on their mortgages significantly.

Advertisement