Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Is it an irish company designing it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Is there an election coming up that I'm not aware of or something?

This time I'm 100% sure construction will start this summer. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are they being paid for this yearly extension of the detailed planning stage? What has actually been delivered is anyone checking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They're still working on the designs! It's not exactly the Sistine Chapel here. Literally unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on design.. things always get changed/ redesigned/altered , it'll happen during construction as well , if construction ever starts , could be a slight change in what the end customer wants , or because specs of a material are slightly different , or regs change ...

Just build it ..

Should there be a competition to see when and how much extra money BAM are going to demand ,

I'm betting they'll hype construction to start may/ June then look for 15% extra to start ,(inflation in building costs)

Then they won't start construction till Jan , 2024 ( maybe 2025 if they're still busy ) ,

Oh and they'll need an extra subvention before the complete construction , so maybe 80 to 100 million gov money for bam to own the building 100 %

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Sounds good. Can't wait to catch the Harry Styles fairwell tour on their opening weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

As always I'll only believe this when I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

“Firm hopes” “intends”

Examiner gets great mileage out of this. Pretty much the same story rehashed every few months. "Work hoped to commence <insert future date here>".

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Time to forget about it. Live Nation clearly don't think the centre is financially viable. Would be a good place to relocate the Marina Market or create a new boxpark type establishment. Not a lot of Government subvention in that though ;)

• Advertisement

Bam own the site ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Whatever chance it had of being viable was eliminated by Covid.

Alot of the regional smaller venues in the UK are struggling as bands are concentrating more and more on outdoor summer gigs and bigger cities.

The events centre in Cork is no longer viable, its not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Eagerly awaiting Simon coveneys annual "this is about to start" update ....the people of cork deserve this blah blah blah ....

Does the marquee not prove there is a demand there for a venue like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

That and the fact that there is also live events at Musgrave Park at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭Zardoz

15-20 events a year isnt viable for the events centre, it probably needs 60-70 events minimum per year to be viable.

No reason why they couldnt have that many,build it and they will come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

In fairness, they would get a lot more than 15 to 20 events if it was built. As well as concerts, there'd be comedians, musicals, exhibitions, business and political events etc.

Best to forget about this one. If it happens great but it seems dead at this point.

• Advertisement

Its been officially canned according to an insider on skyscraper city.

Bad news if true but maybe someone other developer might try another location.

The chances of that are zero in the next 10 years and vanishingly small in the 10 years after that. The likes of LiveNation wouldnt touch Cork after this fiasco and without promoters it’s worthless

Absolutely. If it couldn't get off the ground with BAM, LiveNation and a pile of government money on the table, then it never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I heard a story over the weekend that BAM are looking to exit Ireland, massive liabilities from the children's hospital. Not sure how true but I guess that could have something to do with the recent rumours?

Post edited by TheChizler on

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I love this gem from Leo Varadkar

“I think the Cork event centre, like so many projects, once it’s built nobody will be sorry that it’s built, it’s going to be like the Luas, or Dublin Port Tunnel, or Terminal Two in Dublin Airport, or the new terminal in Cork, or the National Children’s Hospital, there will be lots of controversy about it, but once it’s built, people will only be wondering why we didn’t build it sooner,” Mr Varadkar said.

How long has this been dragging on for now? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bam are more likely trying to take the absolute mint they've swindled out of the government from the Childrens Hospital out of the country.

Good riddance to them overall, ripoff company and poor quality work quite often too.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭rebs23

It's well known in the industry that BAM are losing their shirt on the NCH, hence the rumours of leaving Ireland. The Design changes are significant and ongoing with a Board that are upto the job of major project management.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭rebs23

Really hope this Events Centre gets going, if not then serious questions as to the role of City Council and how Cork with 3 senior Government ministers couldn't get this project over the line. The amount of state intervention elsewhere for similar projects is worth recalling from the National Convention Centre, Bord Gais energy theatre, Croke Park, Aviva and supporting infrastructure. The subvention to the Events Centre project is small in comparison.

• Advertisement

Whatever the agreed subvention would be at the stsrt of construction that'd be just the start of the the extra gov funding needed to complete the project ,

i'd question wether the gov and city council should pull the plug on this , although i doubt they could without being sued to high heaven -

Is there likely to be a time limit on the project ? As in if its not completed ( or even started by x then its dead . ?

Because they cant contract with someone else if this is still live. .

Just think city council has been trying to get a version of this over the line since the late 90s .when they sold the land at mahon point ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement