Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

It wasnt even that they had to give up their jobs. One income would support a family and buy a house so women who chose to stay at hme with their children could easily do this. Now we are in a situation where both halves of a couple NEED to work just to live, never mind get a mortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Having near 20% unemployment also helps make housing cheap...

I'd say the 1 in 5 who didn't have a job don't look back on it quite as fondly as some in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The marriage ban was gone around 77, I was in school in the 70s and 80s and I don't remember a single strike day. I do remember the cold and the terrible toilet roll though.....ouch

Houses were definitely easier to buy. But the country wasn't the success that it is today. I personally prefer the Ireland of today, and I am currently paying huge rent in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I know quite well what ESG is. My reservations come from my own belief that the people who are in charge (at least in the West) are not acting in the best interests of the people over whom they govern. I'm fully aware that I may be wrong, but after the last few years, I for one simply do not trust the state or global financial system.

Also, how can you be so sure that the policies that ESG espouses are indeed beneficial? All that I see in the West is an increasing costs, declining standards of living and society that is fragmenting.

I could be wrong, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭wassie

How exactly are they gaming the system and what scores are you referring to? There is a lot of talk here of ESG as a concept, but little discussion about the facts, actual implimentation and the operation of such.

Its easy to paint ESG as some kind of woke movement without proper understanding of what it is. Its not surprising most folks dont understand what it is, given many large corporate organisations are still getting their head around this.

My point served to show how one aspect of ESG, given this is a property thread, applies to built assets & construction. Personally, I am a skeptical person, but once I started looking into the actual machinations of ESG legislation, it dawned on me that change towards a sustainable society wont happen unless it is mandated. A (big) part of this change is to use the carrot & stick approach by incentivising capital away from the carbon economy.

Post edited by wassie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Conspiracy theory Forum is below this one. This is a final warning on this, there have been others on this thread before.

Do not reply to this post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭herbalplants

May I add toilets in schools are not great at present moment. Schools which are in good areas. We are behind many European countries when it comes with facilities in schools. Sorry they should use tax payers money more wisely,all this tax they do so well from so many employed people.

Why do people bring the analogy that house prices are higher now because in the 70s school toilets were poor... School toilets are still poor and they shouldn't be!

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭combat14

grocery price inflation in UK running at about 16.5% - 17.2% according to Sky News are we any better here?

many house holds here now coming under pressure again with cessation of energy credits while still no sign of price cuts from providers

as one previous poster mentionned the real pain has yet to come when many short term fix rate mortgage terms expire and tens of thousands of mortgage holders brace themselves when they find they are on much higher rates costing hundreds extra every month

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, very bad in UK, food price inflation is unreal, 19%!!!

• Food and non-alcoholic beverage prices continued to rise in April and contributed to high annual inflation, however, the annual inflation rate of food and non-alcoholic beverages eased, from 19.2% in the year to March 2023, to 19.1% in the year to April 2023.

It is lower here, but still bad at 12.7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

Far more teacher training days now than there were strikes in the 80's

Covid and the energy crisis have brought the coats back into the classroom

In the 80's mortgage lending was 2.5 times income 1 plus 0.5 times income 2 giving a total of 3 times income, we are now at 8 times (4 + 4) with new homes prices well out of reach of the median income. This is with ftb grant, shared ownership, and tax breaks for developers.

This pretty much underlines how one sector has held the entire economy to ransom in relatively short period of time. Pure dysfunction and cronyism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Most people exiting 3 or 5 year loans will go from +70%LTV to less than 70%. That will save them probably 1/4-1/2 a percentage point

As especially those exiting 5 year fixed terms will have been paying 2.7%+ and maybe more as the real reduction in rates from the arrival of Advant etc did not happen until 2019/20.

The pain may not be as bad as many expect. As well it's not going to bring more houses onto the market

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭wassie

You mention Advant, but they only take the low hanging fruit by only accepting applications from absolute prime borrowers.

I dont know what Advant's market share is, but Finance Ireland and ICS Mortgages had 15% market share between them in 2022. Their lending has since stalled. FI is now 6.2% variable. If they cant source alternative source of funds to lend at comparable rates there is a risk they will exit the mortgage market, further consolidating the stranglehold AIB & BoI have on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

I don't know why people weren't more up in arms about the upping of the loan-to-income ratio late last year. It was such an obvious attempt to prop up house prices by the government, with no real benefit to people other than upping the amount on their mortgages significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

The government policies do nothing to make houses affordable, they only make unaffordable houses affordable.

The problem though is that if you have a house you can look at it like that. If you havent a house and affordability is running away from you all the time then you would have a different view on it. Those people arent going to want to hear that you are going to inflict short term pain on them for long term gain. They just want to be able to buy a house.

As the man says. When you look out through another mans eyes, only then will you see the world he is living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was absolutely furious when they announced it but I know people who were waiting at the end of 2022 for that to come in so they could borrow more and have more affordability. It never entered their mind that everyone they were competing against were in the exact same position and the only winner there would be the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

and the only winner there would be the seller.

No no, you forgot the lender, the exchequer, and basically everyone involved in the purchasing of the house bar the person going on the hook for the inflated loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

The marriage ban ended in 1973, not the 1980s.

The people who don't have a house were the ones most negatively impacted by the increase in the loan to income ratio. It didn't increase affordability at all, it just added tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of euros to people's mortgages to purchase the same house that would have cost less had the ratio not been increased.

If person X could suddenly borrow more due to the new ratio then their competitor bidding for the same house in the vast majority of cases, person Y, could now also borrow more. It didn't change the playing field/market at all unless you were going against _only_ cash bidders, which very very few people are in our open market.

The people who befitted from the measure were homeowners who saw their house price inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The only reason that legislation changed in 73 was because it had to if we were to join the EU. The reality was that it lived on long after that and it was only in the late 80’s and early 90’s that married women entered the workforce in large numbers.

Source: https://www.esri.ie/system/files?file=media/file-uploads/2016-09/QEC2016AUT.pdf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I suppose the benefit to people was that they were able to borrow more money.........which is generally a benefit, particularily if you have the ability to repay a larger mortgage than your income limit sets on you but are unable to get that mortgage because of the income restrictions.

Yeah, it probably effected different people in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭DataDude

Come up so many times in this thread, but again, the government have no influence over lending limits. Thankfully it is all controlled by the CBI.

I agree the timing of increasing them was unfortunate, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the government.

The Central Bank did a public consultation on it. The public was overwhelming in favour of increasing the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Wow, I wouldn't have thought it would be prudent for the CBI to make decisions based on how the public opinion weather vane is blowing.

They wouldn’t just take it 100% at face value and follow it blindly. They would just gather views of lots of people and use it to assist their decision making process. Fairly common thing for them to do on a variety of topics. Should in theory help to avoid narrow thinking by a relatively small number of fairly like minded people.

The reason I mentioned it was just there’s regularly an accusation throw out here along the lines that Leo Varadkar personally increased lending limits to increase house prices despite nobody wanting it to happen. Nope, it was decided by an independent body and widely welcomed by the vast majority of the public (I’d argue that they were misguided but, hey, that’s just my opinion!).

If you think the CBI makes its decisions in an independent vacuum of government influence in Ireland then I've got a bridge to sell you.

It, and its policymakers, are intrinsically linked to the political system they operate within on a day-to-day basis. The governor is quite literally a government appointee.

We also have very recent history of the CBI being disastrously under the sway of government before the 2008 crash with the much publicised "green jersey agenda" scandal. Its beyond naive to think the recent (positive, but slow and limited) 2015 to present EU reforms have fully revolutionised the cozy relationship of the preceding 70 years.

The CBI is made up of a lot of professionals of varying backgrounds jumping in and out of private sector, often stopping in CBI just to boost their CV. I know lots and lots of them, current and former, many towards the very top. I can assure you, they couldn’t care less what Leo Varadkar or any politician thinks of them. He has zero power/influence over them and their professionalism and long term career ambitions way outweigh making reckless decisions purely to gain some political favour.

And if you think Gabriel Malkhouf -

A) Was personally involved in the lending limit change in any material way

B) Made his individual contribution under some Godfather style intimidation by a politician that he’d be fired if he didn’t (which is close to impossible to do)

then lol. Belongs in conspiracy theories forum tbh.

All the above totally aside. If you do insist the government control lending limits in some sort of shadowhand way and do so purely to increase house prices - then why on earth would they preside over some of the most stringent lending limits in a first world country?? Even after the 4x we’re still very conservative relative to peers, so if anything as a proponent of low LTI limits (I am also btw), you should be praising them.

Unfortunately in Ireland it has become the norm to just blame all of life’s woes on ‘the government’. Sometimes it’s justified, but reaching like this just detracts from genuine mistakes they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

Not exactly a popular appointment was Gabby Mak, particularly amongst those that were tasked with cleaning up the mess of the previous regime

Two former governors of the Central Bank raised concerns with senior figures in Government around the recent appointment of their successor.

Both Philip Lane and Patrick Honohan privately raised concerns around different aspects of Gabriel Makhlouf assuming the role of governor of the Central Bank

Earlier this week it was disclosed that the European Central Bank (ECB) had also raised a number concerns over the Government’s choice of Mr Makhlouf as new governor

As for government intentions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It has been suggested that unused commercial real estate such as office buildings be converted to housing units to tackle the housing shortage. From the governments perspective, I can see why they would not be enthusiastic about such a move and why converting them to migrant accomodation would be preferable. You see, if office space is made available for housing, that would increase the supply of housing units which would put downward pressure on house prices. The government wants house prices to stay high, at any cost because they don`t want people defaulting which would put further downward pressure on house prices.

Hence the government`s preference for migrant accomodation over increased house supply. Besides, as young Irish people emmigrate, I guess they want the migrants to stay and pay the 200 billion they borrowed to inflate house prices beyond their reach.

Agreed. And would also make a big difference if the buyer was renting to now not having to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The bigger issue is the cost of converting offices into housing whilst is actually quite high, the building regulations are very different.

Advertisement