Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You're speaking out of both sides of your mouth. Heavily critical of previous managers but very little criticism of a manager with a far worse record. You think he should go but you want him to stay until the end of this campaign.

Kenny was so lucky to stay in the job this long and a lot of it has been down to his backers in the media and those singing his name while watching us lose. While they have been singing, we've been dropping down to outside the top 50 in the World.

He didn't have to build a new squad from scratch, he inherited a squad that came so close to qualifying for Euro 2020. He had the perfect chance to blend this squad with a host of young talent coming through. He has absolutely blown it and really damaged our development. Keeping him in charge is the least sensible option to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

please stop using attendances as a reason to keep Kenny.

the fai sold season tickets that included WC finalists france and sld Gibraltar tickets as a duo with the Netherlands.

Moreover, we rarely have an issue with attendances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I blame the media as well as Kenny on this What in the name of jayus has got into them? Going all pseudo intellectual , vague and idealistic about football.

The idea is to fecking win games and get results for christ sake, make the team as competitive as possible based on the players available. Not have some sort of idealistic dreamland of how things are going to happen.

Mick has done that in past, MON has done it, Trap has done it. Ok there were points where it ran out of steam and wasn't great. But at least there was passion there was fight in it. Teams had to really work to beat Ireland. Ireland were in most games.

The media has gone from -

A new era new direction playing football 'the right way' - to embarrassment at how gullible and naive they were - to now pure pity for Kenny and Ireland.

It is mad I have never seen the like of it for any other previous Irish manager. There were very few voices of reason at all.

The media has basically lead the gullible, naive and idealistic eejits of fans down the garden path. Now they are at loss what to say now. Scrambling for excuses with gormless looks on their faces. That probably has been the most entertaining part of Kenny's reign watching/hearing the realisation dawn on such fans.

People are really in cloud cuckoo land these days.

This Ireland team just bends over with its kacks down, Kenny has designed them to get f**ked, ultra submissive/passive no energy. It is the worst football I have watched under any Irish manager because it makes most levels of opponents look good. That is the complete opposite of what it should be. If any team wants a confidence builder the easy answer is set up a friendly against Kenny's Ireland.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Looking back at the greece game i think its the worst of kenny tenure by some distance. People mention Luxembourg but that was a game we should have won but didnt have the quality in the final third and got caught on the hop for a goal. greece just tactically beat us and we had no response the scoreline was very flattering for us. The lack of a reaponse from kenny was disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

That squad required massive change, most of the senior players were past their best and were not playing for their club teams.

You want an organisation 40M odd in debt to sack a manager and give him a pay off meaning they have even less money to offer to a new manager? Its not JD running the organisation now robbing peter to pay paul.

As others said its likely the ex FA men will look towards Carsley, but if Kenny wasnt qualified enough having managed for 25 years, what makes Carsley? Working with the FA and there 21s? I think we need more experience than that personally.

How has Kenny damaged our development? Our development has been damaged by 25 years of miss management under JD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Its definitely a weak spot for us and if it wasn't Gibraltar we would have never switched to a back four given our options for FB. A better team even a slightly better team would have punished us as we've seen with teams like Azerbaijan cutting through us on the counter.

Bar Coleman our options at FB are most likely wingers turned FBs. We're no Man City but if we had more than Scales as a left footed CB then playing four CBs in defence could be tried at some stage.

......................Bazunu

...Collins - O'Shea - Egan - Scales

Knight - Molumby - Cullen - Johnston

................Obafemi - Ferguson

Wouldn't be 4-4-2 going forward as you'd want Johnston playing higher to make it a 4-3-3 or even Ogbene as he'll be back with someone like Knight or McGrath instead of Johnston. But in defence it would be 4-4-2 with one the wide forwards dropping back to make it a bank of four in midfield like we did against France.

With a wide player like Ogbene or Johnston, playing with Obafemi and Ferguson as the strikers we could cause trouble on the counter when possession is regained. Would love for Knight to get himself a proper move next season where he plays central cause with his engine might develop into a decent box to box player and think he'd be better in midfield than Molumby which allows you to play a McGrath, Szmodics, or someone better going forward than Molumby.

I like Molumby and he had a good season but still the most limited of all our midfielders imo. Has his uses against the higher seeds but with the lower seeds would rather see Knight with Cullen rather than Molumby.

That scoreline definitely flattered us and we were lucky that Greece squandered a number of chances to make it three, four, maybe even five. I know they made a pigs ear of one chance in the first half and had another bad miss in the second half

While Greece only cared about getting the three points I'd say they're disappointed they didn't put us to sword score wise given they played us off the park. They had seven shots on target, we had six shots all game with three on target. They had six off target and seven blocked.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t want the FAI to be reactionary. Unless they know of a manager they want that’s worth paying Kenny off and getting this person in, and are confident this would provide a pretty immediate boost in performance, then they should absolutely do that. Get rid of him today if that’s the case.

You’re talking like him not being there will immediately make everything better, which obviously isn’t the case. And my point is that while the FAI look for a new manager(which we have no idea if they are or not really) keeping him there saves the association money while they look.

The FAI are strapped for cash and cannot afford to be reactionary. They can’t afford to continually pay people off and go for someone else to see if that works. They need to put thought and preparation into who the successor should be.

Kenny's pay off is likely to be three months wages which would be €137,500. They wouldn't be that strapped with Keane now of the wage books and O'Shea likely on much less than what Barry and Eustace got wage wise.

Issue with the FAI getting rid of him now is I doubt the FAI have any imagination in terms of who they could get as a new manager outside of Carsley. Knowing them they'd likely be going off that desperate next managers list Paddy Power had up for betting odds and going eeny, meeny, miny, moe if Carsley turns them down.

• Advertisement

Have to agree with this. Greece saw our 3-5-2 coming all day long and had prepared for it. Kenny was far too slow to react to Greeces game plan, Idah was a terrible choice to start and definitely one of Kenny’s blind spots.

So much was made of our preparation too which made the performance even worse.

I understand idah and ferguson up top tbh they could hold up the ball while guys like o downda, smallbone and dogherty get forward but it became obvious early it wasnt working

Yeah the fundamental issue was that Kenny assumed we’d have far more of the ball so in that respect it would have made sense.

But it was clear from the early minutes that wasn’t going to be the case so I think an earlier switch from Idah to Obafemi would have made sense, he’s shown in previous games he’s well suited to the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not in anyway defending Kenny, but we are crying out for a decent number 8 or couple. Smallbone has lot to prove yet too. Will give him benefit of doubt for now. Still young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

@gormdubhgorm "The media has basically lead the gullible, naive and idealistic eejits of fans down the garden path. Now they are at loss what to say now. Scrambling for excuses with gormless looks on their faces. "

What percentage of Irish fans are you categorising as "gullible, naive and idealistic eejits"? 100%, or less?

Have you, or anyone, any ideas as to potential new managers?

Personally, I would think it unfair to put someone in before the next two games, because conceivably then we could be saying "Jesus, there's the new lad in and we've gone and lost our first two games under him as well."

Is Kenny only contracted to the end of this campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wrong, our players were mostly 28/29 when Kenny took over and in their prime. He then had a long list of talented youngsters to blend in with them.

The FAI have been wasting money on Kenny, over 500k a year and not come close to qualification. You know how much qualification for major championships are worth? That money is desperately needed.

Kenny has damaged our development by introducing our new players into a shambles of a set up and dropped us way down the rankings. It will be difficult to recover from this. Kenny was also Delaney's appointment. We need to end all links to his reign.

Yes I have listed other alternatives as managers -

1) Roy Keane

2) A double team of Hodgson and Duff - similar to the Stan/Robson mould

3) Mick McCarthy would steady the ship safe part of hands even on a part time basis

4) Brian Kerr could be given some sort of role/advisor/manager/coach or something. His football knowledge has been criminally wasted IMO.

--

A huge chuck of the Irish vocal fanbase have been gullible you only have to read this thread. Back when Ireland were passing it back sideways and backwards against Finland and Bulgaria. Where they were Ireland were no threat. People used the argument about possession stats, But a fella with half a brain could see Ireland were playing the safe possession pass, nothing progressive about it. There was no midfielder brave enough or able enough to make that penetrative forward pass.

Roll on two years or so and not much as changed. The heart has been ripped out this Irish side by Kenny, it has lots it's bite, doesn't close down quick enough, no fight. It is like a showroom house, looks great on the outside but there is nothing inside only facades.

I would agree with you throwing Kenny out now would be silly. I believe he is contracted to the next campaign going by his contract is up until the end of the campaign. And as Kenny said it is up to the FAI whether they renew it or not.

There is a provision in the contract for the FAI to terminate the contract based on performances without having to pay any compensation.

They can't afford to keep Kenny on. It's as simple as that and the next manager should be given a chance to prepare for the playoffs. Get Kenny out and interview all candidates. The next appointment is vital to try and repair the damage of the last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Prime Conor Hourihane couldn't put the ball in the net from 3 yards out.

And yet, with a midfield of Hourihane, Hendrick and Whelan, McCarthy came within a whisker of qualifying for Euro 2020. It was all McCarthy's fault then. Somehow that's now turned into the players are all useless since Kenny's horrendous reign.

You call Pro Kenny people "gullible, naive and idealistic eejits of fans down the garden path. Now they are at loss what to say now. Scrambling for excuses with gormless looks on their faces. "

What percentage of Irish fans are you categorising as "gullible, naive and idealistic eejits"? 100%, or less?

Yet the state of the manager list you have put together. Many people have ripped you Roy Keane suggestion apart yet you are still suggesting it and have the cheek to call other "guillible, naive and idealistic eejits?" I suggest you take a long hard look in a mirror. Keane was on 500k as an assistant.

Hodgson was on a couple of Million at Palace. Does Duff only managing in the LOI not discount him going on your previous post?

Mick is finsihed, failed everywhere hes been last couple of years and his football is dire.

Kerr hasnt been involved in high level football in 10 years plus, more nonsense from someone who doesnt know much about irish football.

ok how many players under the age of 25 were in the squad? Many of those 28/29 were robbing a place in that squad. As others pointed out the amount of caps Doherty and Egan have now is criminal

Says the same fella who had no clue who he wanted as the next Irish manager. You are the poster boy of the type of idealistic fan who has big dreams but comes up way short on practicalities. It is a laughable mentality. You are in fact one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this thread because I wonder what excuse @athlone99 going to come up with next? And you trot another one out. With some form of mental gymnastics. Half the time I am thinking he can't be serious with that one?

The players are playing for Kenny was another one of your lines, when it was pointed out correctly by another poster if this is the players playing for Kenny what does that say about his level of management!?

Hodgson for example could well work in a part time advisory role all you do is come up with glib excuse after excuse NOT to pick a manager. Kenny was paid 540k per year that has been wasted IMO. Well over a million spent on incompetence so far.

I think part of the reason is you really brought into the 'cult of Kenny', Now that option has proven to be an utter failure you are lost for ideas. That seems to be it in a nutshell for me. Your main occupation on this thread is spent coming out with excuses for Kenny, and deriding any other choices, and then if that does not work the posters themselves.

Have you ever considered that people ripping into the Roy Keane option are wrong or clouded by their own biases? I doubt you have because for you a lot of this is not about the qualified candidate it is about 'optics' for you. Roy Keane is the most qualified candidate, realistic candidate and available candidate by far as simple as that.

Would you call Kenny a 'failed manager'? I doubt you would because you would make up some other laughable type of trope to pretend he achieved something. The fella can't even do a press conference for christ sake nevermind his tactical and motivational shortcomings. Noel King was less of an embarrassment.

You want change, but you don't know what change you want - that's great....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

We had a free play-off as a result of finishing bottom in the Nations League under MON. But unfortunately Prime Conor Hourihane couldn't put the ball into the net from 3 yards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Especially when they bundle the tickets for the glamour fixtures with one of the lesser ones.

What are you talking about? Robbing a place in the squad? They were the best players available and Kenny had nearly every player that McCarthy had available to him. He then could add Bazunu, Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele, Knight, Molumby, Smallbone, Obefami (returning from absence), Idah, Ferguson and Cullen who improved greatly after moving to Anderlecht. He's had a stronger squad than McCarthy's but has done far worse. And McCarthy's reign wasn't even great. It's criminal that he has lasted this long.

All the players fault, never Kenny's. The playoffs were a perfect chance for a new manager bounce and qualifying for a major tournament. Slovakia were missing a few of their main players. It turned out to be failure number 1 in the growing list of Kenny debacles.

Kenny wasnt paid 540k per year to be clear his first contract was less than 300k a year i think he got something like 220 year 1. Hes had 1 year of that 540k deal

A huge pay increase, clearly linked with performance. 🤣 He's some chancer, robbed the FAI of over a million.

• Advertisement

You can blame him for repeated failures. Don't forget that we could barely score a goal under him until Anthony Barry came in to set the team up for him. Of course that was all the players fault as well. Never Kenny's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'm struggling to think of one player left out that was so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

So funny to see one guy just repeatedly astroturfing the thread, insulting other posters and questioning their knowledge when his big ideas are Roy Keane, Mick McCarthy and Brian Kerr.

I love Roy Keane, one of my all time favourite players and I enjoy his gimmick of grumpy old man as a pundit but my god is he a shite manager. Oh and he's not taking any job for less than 7 figures. Just delusional **** to repeatedly bring him up.

Mccarthy is a joke. A dinosaur who did a good job 25 years ago but has no place in any management role in 2023.

Brian Kerr, the so called fountain of knowledge who can't be bothered to do any research for his commentary/pundit roles on Virgin. The man hasn't been employed since he was involved with the Faroe Islands. Real major league stuff.

Kenny has simultaneously done a good job blooding new players and giving underutilised older players international experience while having some very disappointing results. Whether we qualify for the Euros or not he should go at the end of this campaign. I don't think anyone would dispute that he's been given a fair shake as manager.

I agree that Carsley seems the most likely to get the job. But if its not Carsley and while I don't think he'd take the job, we probably can't afford him, I'd love to see the FAI gauge the interest of Nathan Jones. He was out of his depth at Southampton but did a good job previously at Luton where he wouldn't have been on huge money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

More bad results for Ireland with Luxembourg beating Bosnia, also Poland losing is bad

edit- Jesus the two goals Bosnia concede are laughingly bad

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Luxembourg's competitive record since beating us - P17 W7 D3 L7.

No longer the minnows they once were, despite what some people's 30-year-old opinions are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

Shows you what you can achieve when you get your sh1t together and invest in grassroots. It's a great record given how small their population is

Yep. Very much punching above their weight but at the time it was said at the time that Luxembourg have set up national acadamies and they were finally seeing the rewards.

The fact they're still putting in performances like this shows it was no fluke, and our loss should be held in a completely different context to what some here believe.

They were only two points away from getting promoted to League B in the Nations League too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

who manages them? we should get him in. seems to know how to get results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The Scots ripping Georgia apart, they seem to have moved on from being our equals,we've always struggled v Geo

Luc Holtz. He's been their manager for the last 13 years. Has a win rate of 22.5% in that time.

The only reason why I looked up their record is because someone said to me earlier (before they beat Bosnia) that Ireland could do worse than him. He has them playing good stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

As it stands we are going to fail to even qualify for the play-off's.

I don't know what astroturfing is which says to me you must be a young lad.

To say McCarthy is a dinosaur is just ageist. He knows Ireland and knows the players. Used to making teams hard to beat. Simple. Again you want optics rather than a safe pair of hands.

Kerr would be utilised in any other country. he is being wasted - yet some fellas want us to import a fella like Lagerback when Kerr is more than capable of being a technical director

The Kenny blooded players argument is the only positive left for him it seems? I said way back let him do his thing and a proper manager after him can sort the mess out.

.And it looks like that is going to happen. Most of those blooded who will likely stay in the side for the next manager would have came through anyway. Bazunu, Ferguson, Collins etc. I also remind you that Staunton blooded players, McCarthy blooded players after Jack. You mention it as if it is a skill. The skill is moulding them not capping them.

Carsley why would he want the job? Nathan Jones? Why??? And why would he be interested in Ireland? He talks himself up anyway. Which reminds me of Kenny saying to Tony O'Donoghue (when almost in tears) that he was 'not used to losing'. And then listing off his Dundalk record

Reminiscent of Kenny when

It's actually hilarious seeing other teams getting talked up so much by the Kenny fanatics. Luxembourg's Nation's League group included the Faroe Islands and Lithuania. They've lost to Malta in recent games, 6-0 to Portugal, they've lost to Northern Ireland recently. But the fanatics pick out a good result and shout about how this justifies Kenny losing at home to the team ranked just inside the top 100. When previous managers got bad results, none of this craic was accepted. You have to laugh at the desperation but there's also a serious side. It's those people who've kept him in the job for a lot longer than he deserved and why we're struggling to even get into a playoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

What is with you making personal assumptions about everyone that disagrees with you? A very strange flex to make personal slights about everyone that sees things differently.

To say McCarthy is a dinosaur is to understand he hasn't been relevant in over a decade, nothing got to do with his age. He's failed in every one of his last 4 jobs. He could be 25 and I'd hold the same opinion if he had such a shite record.

Kerr is a joke. He gets put on this pedestal as some genius when nobody in football will touch him. Either he's an arsehole who nobody can stand to deal with or he's not the genius people like you proclaim him to be. And being that plenty of arseholes are currently employed across football I'm gonna guess its option 2.

It's been explained above why Carsely is likely, try reading what other people say. By what I can see they know more than you so you're likely to learn something. And if you actually read what I said, I said Jones likely wouldn't be interested but he's someone I'd love to see the new FAI approach because it would show some ambition and thinking outside of the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

To be fair, Luxembourg are on the rise - its relative, but they have been progressing consistently. I'm not a "Kenny fanatic" by the way, but I do like a good stat.

Hey, I have no doubt they're on the rise. They are still a very lowly ranked team. It's strange that the ranking of Georgia or how they've improved wasn't brought up when our previous manager drew away to them.

Lost Lux 1 - Port 3 (WCQ)

--

Lost Nor 1 -Lux 0 (F)

Lost Lux 0 - Scot 1 (F)

--

Won Lux 2 -Azerb 1 (WCQ)

Lost Ser 4 - Lux 1 (WCQ)

--

Draw Lux 1 - Qatar 1 (F)

--

Lost Lux 0- Serbia 1 (WCQ)

Lost Port 5 - Lux 0 (WCQ)

Won Azer 1 - Lux 3 (WCQ)

Lost Lux 0 -Ire 3 (WCQ)

--

Lost Lux 1 - NI 3 (F)

Lost Bos 1- Lux 0 (F)

--

Won Lit 0 - Lux 2 (UNL)

Won Far 0 - Lux 1 (UNL)

Lost Lux 0 - Tur 2 (UNL)

Draw Far 2 - Lux 2 (UNL)

Draw Tur 3 - Lux 3 (UNL)

Won Lux 1 - Lit 0 (UNL)

--

Draw Lux 2-2 Hun (F)

Draw Lux 0-0 Bul (F)

--

Slo 0-0 lux 0 (ECQ)

lux 0 - Port 6 (ECQ)

--

Lux 0 - Malta 1 (F)

--

Lux 2- liech 0 (ECQ)

Bos 0 - Lux 2 (ECQ)

--

Competitive wins - Azerbaijan twice, Lithuania twice, Faroes, Bosnia, and Liechtenstein = 7

Competitive draws - Faroes - Turkey - Solvenia

--

Not as impressive when you delve down into it. Four of those wins came against two teams twice - who are obviously very weak - and another two teams who are extremely weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

i don’t mean to be uncivil but …who cares ..like

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement