Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Anyone know what is being planned with the end of the M8 tonight.

M8 is closed between Glanmire exit and Dunkettle tonight nothing it is to put a realignment in place.

M8 traffic to used part of the loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Looks something like that from the cameras, they're digging up the road like mad anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Guessing they're shifting it east to the "end" of the loop, maybe relocate traffic lights or something like that.

Yeah. It’s to facilitate raising the road where the M8 presently hits the roundabout. Gradient is too much.

• Advertisement

2 news letters a week with updates for next few weeks so hopefully get bit more detail on what's going on. Probably won't be much new for people in this thread who already follow in detail, but hopefully it'll stop the moaning elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Signage northbound out of the tunnel went up last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

VMS gone up today on the New N25 Circular slip to Tunnel.

Also they have tar mac'd a bit of the new roadway North of the roundabout that will take cars from the Tunnel heading to M8 North.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

They’ll have free reign to work on this whole area in a few weeks when the loop is open and that section of the roundabout is closed.

You know, it think to open the new section at the end of the M8, I think they may be forced to open the new loop at the same time. Think both might open over the weekend.

Post edited by AugustusMinimus on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

That little bit of tarmac they completed for the M8 North is now being used for M8 South approaching Dunkettle.

• Advertisement

Yet another great Drone Hawk video. The signage saying “Cork” instead of “City Centre” is infuriating.

Why by the way have they made the bridge for Dumbbell to N25 West movement so wide ? It only needed to be half the width, albeit turned more towards the flow of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

ST04? I don't understand it either. Presumably something to do with structural rigidity with the retaining walls at both sides not being at 45 degrees. Maybe some kind of torsional force issue with HGV's or something like that.

I also don't understand the width of ST08, the M8 north bridge. I don't understand why it was needed to be so wide. It looks like it could carry 4 lanes, but it shouldn't be necessary to have such width at just 60kmh. Still, these are just minor details and I'm sure the designers know the reasons. Maybe it's simply cheaper to construct with the excess on the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Yes the mention of Cork on the sign is ridiculous alright considering the sign is within the City boundary anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Because the angle is very acute and the cost of a beam relative to its length is non-linear, i.e. it is cheaper to have a larger number of shorter beams than a smaller number of longer beams. In fact, that angle is so acute there that they'd probably need to step up to steel beams which is a whole 'nother kettle o' fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Has it been mentioned as to what’s happening to the cameras when the project is completed - are they being left where they are, moved to new locations or will they & the app be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

I think the cameras pre-date the project so I don't know why they'd be removed, though I guess they could be moved all right.

When the slip from n25w to tunnel is closed this weekend, is traffic doing that route going down the new slip? Or do they've to go to furthest roundabout like if heading for m8, but then just come onto existing roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Edit, I'm not certain of your question. N25 to tunnel will go up the Little island west slip and then down to the tunnel, is my understanding

Oh so it's not along what will be the final alignment (blue...dont think would be full final alignment but closely along that)? Trying to figure it out from newsletters, so maybe it'll only be announced in tomorrow's one what exactly will happen. Going up the new off ramp for Little Island west could be an option too alright.

When quoting the post I only see the pre-edit version. So could be all traffic down to tivoli Road roundabout then back to dunkettle (red lone below)

• Advertisement

I think the new alignment will open for the most part. However, where the slip out of Little Islsnd is now will close. The new alignment will abruptly stop there temporarily with tarmac linking the old alignment being laid down.

That'd be brilliant, hopefully helps traffic a bit if it can remove one set of lights. Then not long to wait for them all to go

Big surfacing tonight about to go ahead.

They have the north side of the roundabout closed for work vehicles.

M8 south is reduced to 1 lane.

They are currently grinding up the temporary lane built over a week ago.

My thinking was they would relay that and the lane from tunnel north but I can't see the tarmac machines on site yet.

There seems to be a focus this week on the eventual tunnel to M8 north slip this week too. The bit which will veer right after tunnel exit to go under the N25 through the east most underpass. Don’t think it’s too far off surfacing either.

The roundabout is now restricted to 2 lanes. Causing a huge tailback up the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Today's newsletter mentions opening the new links in July.

June had been mentioned as the timeframe to open new link roads in the 5th Mays Newsletter so it looks like this timeline has slipped.

I think the following in green is likely going to be the new alignment for N25 West to Tunnel once Link M opens over the weekend. The old slip will have too close to facilitate Link M opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Bog Down

I don't think link m is opening this weekend, it's mentioned in the newsletter on the last line that it's in preparation for link openings in July. I read it that they are doing the earth works for the tie in and when they re open on Sunday, traffic from n25 will have to go up an incline and back down the old slip. Sometime in the next week or two I see them closing the old r623 exit onto the n25 slip to complete the n25 to tunnel and open link m at the same time. I don't think link m is ready right now

Advertisement