Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Oh no, not white man's burden at all — simply an appreciation for how the world has always worked (people gravitate towards where they believe there is prosperity), combined with the Western upholding of the rule of law and individual rights, easier and safer travel between countries, and the fact that all these things combined mean that in the absence of us adopting policies to mercilessly brutalise migrants and refugees it's probably more logical all round that we try to make the best of it. But making the best of it is simply never going to mean that we strike the perfect balance between what is absolutely best for Ireland and what avoids the inflicting or exacerbation of the suffering of people who have done nothing to deserve it.

So it's all well and good to call O'Gorman a gobshite for the stunning intellectual crime of failing to get it all right in the aftermath of a global pandemic shutdown and one of the most significant displacements of people in Europe since the Second World War and our first experience of such a surge of refugees since we became a wealthy country capable of playing a more contributory role — but show me the person who would have nailed this with nothing but universally good outcomes for Ireland and maybe I'll vote for them.

If the stance of the EU is hardening, so be it. Better approaches are needed to try identify those cheating the system, but likewise there needs to be an appreciation that a collaborative sharing of the burden is a better way forward than allowing a small host of countries to do it all for us. I dare say thought, regardless what way it goes, it isn't going to appease those who believe that assisting refugees is contingent on ensuring that it neither disrupts, exacerbates or creates any domestic issue in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The money comes from the same state pot how its allocated is the problem . Ireland pays the highest welfare rates for Ukrainian refugees in the EU and has taken in more per population than many EU countries .

The aid budget could be cut to pay for Ukrainians .

https://www.devex.com/news/sweden-pulls-1b-in-foreign-aid-for-ukrainian-refugees-at-home-103164

You forget that the sheer numbers here is also effecting medical services . To date about 10% are employed most in low income jobs and would pay little tax .

So taking advantage of the law is not abuse .

Why do you say there was no need for a referendum in 2004 . They were still coming to have babies in large numbers until the referendum . Like I posted earlier it has also prevented those who have tried to overturn it .

🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

That’s what work permits are for, not the asylum system

Most will work in minimum wage jobs with no opportunities and realise they have a better life on the dole . They came here for a better life .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I never said we didn't need a referendum in 2004. Never.

I said if we didn't vote for the referendum in 99, we wouldn't have needed a referendum in 2004. I have no issue with the citizenship law that we have.

And who has tried to overturn it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Some refugees can work, others require care/treatment for disabilities and medical issues. We don’t even know the persons real name/nationality in many cases as they don’t have any docs with them

You dont seem to make your point clear , a referendum should have been held earlier . Well if your memory serves you the Chinese child who was living here over 10 years brought up this issue . There were a number of politicians who supported changing the law .

• Advertisement

Someone born here and living here for years can apply for citizenship.

that little Chinese boy didn't look to overturn anything though, he was trying to stay on humanitarian grounds and will no doubt apply for citizenship when he is old enough.

I said the issue came up about birth right citizenship and comments from politicians . I never even suggested the little Chinese boy tried to overturn it .

They reduced the time from 5 to 3 years to apply for citizenship for a child only . This can be seen as dilution of the law made at the time and favouring children over adults .Asylum seekers still have children as a way to stay .

They are eligible to apply for citizenship when old enough, same as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nonsense.

HSE funding and refugee funding are not the same.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Asylum seekers/refugees can't win with your negative stereotyping

They get jobs - "taking our jobs" "only good for low grade jobs"

They don't get work - "they're scrounging our welfare"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nobody is talking about taking 40 million people in. Nobody.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Her social welfare payments were stopped when it was determined her Zimbabwean passport was fake, that the name she was using was fake, and that years of SW payments (€96k) was obtained fraudently ... but wait for it ... her SW payments was re-established once her true South African identity was determined. You couldnt make it up.

I swear, if Carlsberg made social welfare systems ... it would probably never be as good as the Irish system !!!!

Nobody is suggesting Ireland should take in 40 million Ukrainians.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

The vast majority are con artists who've come to treasure island because we are a soft touch.

That needs to change and this country desperately needs the political will to bring about that change.

People can't find housing, we've fully grown fully employed adults living with their parents because of government policy. The country is a mess.

The only much more we need are politicians with the drive to get rid of these asylum chancers and stop them coming in the first place.

• Advertisement

The government has said there is no limits on Ukrainian refugees wanting to come here that means if all 40m wanted to come and live here this government would not stop it. That is the policy you can't have a clearer suggestion than that.

You have something to back up that statement I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭marty whelan

Why do you think they have come to Ireland? Give one reason why they chose Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

I think what was actually suggested is that 40 million < unlimited.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

I agree with that statement. Nearly every single woman from certain African country who claim refugee and get citizenship spent the rest of their life here on welfare, recieve HAP or get a council house, and every other benefits going. A lot of the men from these countries also work the benefits systems, doing a few taxi runs for extra cash. You dont need stats to know tgis, every dog on the street in every town around Ireland knows this. These are the con artists.. and people from other countries in north Africa, Georgia, etc are starting to copy them.

I have come across a good few people from Cuban, Syria and Iraq, who got their citizenship, and they all work .. be it engineers or cleaners, they contribute. Ukranians were invited here, snd many have taken jobs in hotels to make extra cash and contribute to the country who have welcomed and helped them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So how many students are you taking in then ?

Seriously ?! Why are you asking another poster how many refugees they have take in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

If that's true I think you should tell the parents. It's can be very hard having a child that's a bit different from the rest and if they're excluded from mainstream school.... It sounds like your school urgently needs extra staff and a bigger campus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's thinking with your emotions.

Bingo. That's the nub of it. It's all about the emotionals. Just like the ardent right wingers on t'other side. Both have a logic and reality bypass. It's been claimed that there's no such thing as a fake refugee for god's sake. Facts bedamned. Why? Because the majority(goes for the right wingers too, though the right on have a lot more media and current political backing) are simply recycling secondhand opinions as their own. They haven't thought much beyond that.

And both are absolutely obsessed with "race". It usually comes as a shock to both that the vast majority of non Irish people living here are just as pale as the locals. Like I noted earlier Polish folks alone positively dwarf the number of Black folks living here. Never mind all the many thousands of Germans, British, French, Spanish et al. They're essentially invisible. Even East Asian folks tend to fade into the background. I have observed that "diversity" is never quite diverse enough if it's mostly White folks, no matter where they come from or how different their cultures are.

It was the same in the multiculturalism thread hereabouts. For such an Accepted Truth(tm) in Western societies and one I bought into myself, or at least most of it, it genuinely surprised me how little was actually behind the curtain. How few good pro arguments there were. It like this thread subject. It boils down to charity, a hefty chunk of exoticism and The Irish Were Migrants Once Too(c). The more deft and engaging posters threw in economics, pensions, low birth rates and fair enough, but that was about it. Pointing out any awkward demonstrable facts, facts repeated across every single so called Western melting pot out there were dismissed or more usually evaded. The nuclear button of shouting "Racism!" and outright insult was the usual trajectory of too many and a sure sign an unexamined argument holds a lot less water than they thought. That can be a problem with unquestioned Accepted Truths(tm).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Most people don't care about what race, ethnicity, or nationality people are that live here.

Those that do care because of the above.....well we knkw.what they are

• Advertisement

Advertisement