Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My fear under this legislation is that 'disagrees with' = hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It doesn’t take a learned barrister, all anyone needs is an Internet connection to encounter examples of people arguing over what they believe doesn’t constitute hate speech, or an action which they believe is a violation of their right to freedom of expression and so on. Whether or not based upon their behaviour they could be considered ordinary or reasonable is another question entirely.

I totally get what you mean about preferring that when laws are brought in that there be no ambiguity around them, but people who are opposed to bringing in any law can claim that it is ambiguous or unclear or vague and should therefore be considered unconstitutional. They don’t necessarily have a point, as the test requires that the law be considered excessively vague as to be so easily misunderstood by an ordinary or reasonable person. Take for example the recent Harassment, Harmful Communications and Related Offences Act - there is no definition of what constitutes ‘grossly offensive’, because it’s taken that the term is widely understood already -

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/act/32/enacted/en/print

No need to go twisting oneself up in knots and dancing on the head of a pin about the interpretation of what grossly offensive means in the context of that particular piece of legislation, it’s easily understood what’s meant by grossly offensive in that context. The fact that people appear to be discussing only one very specific aspect of this particular legislation and ignoring it’s broader context where it relates to at least eight other protected characteristics does indeed say a lot, particularly about the interests of those people who appear to be only concerned with protecting their own ability to cause offence to other persons without any regard for other people’s right to be protected from prejudice, discrimination and harm.

Have you considered the possibility that they feel that they have got it right already, and that it’s not necessary to be obsessing over the meanings, definitions and interpretations of words which they don’t consider warrants an explicit definition when it’s already well understood what is meant by the use of the term in the context of the legislation? It’s a given that it’s open to being challenged in the future, but for now I’m kinda reminded of what happened when an individual made a complaint to the authorities about Stephen Fry allegedly committing blasphemy - Gardaí couldn’t pursue an investigation as they couldn’t find anyone who gave a shìt, not even the person who actually made the complaint:

https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/2017/may/09/irish-police-halt-prosecution-of-stephen-fry-for-blasphemy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Of course it takes a learned barrister to argue in court, the higher courts don't usually take twitter videos and Karen from Facebook's opinion as evidence in their decisions.

The fact that grossly offensive isn't defined in legislation leaves it entirely open to constitutional challenge. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean that it can't.

They may think that they have it right, the amount of genuine concerns however are a red flag for government. It will be the supreme court that decide whether definitions are necessary and considering past cases, I'm going to suggest that they will find definitions to be very important.

I'm not against legislation, just done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=576256257977518&set=pb.100067794463880.-2207520000.&type=3

That,s the way this group views the planned changes, while you see their view as " hate speech " I see it as a group dissenting and objecting to policy changes.

Even the Irish muslim council have expresses opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

Ronan Mullen posted about what Recognising every kind of gender expression in law means for schools .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You noticebly didnt deny it as hate speech - if you do, then you either see lies about marginalised groups as acceptable, or you need to prove its accurate.

They could show dissent and disagreement without telli g lies and using hate speech.

After all, The Irish Muslim Council managed it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It really doesn’t, and literally any fool can, and some do, attempt it anyway.

The Supreme Court aren’t any more likely to be interested in what some Twitter videos or Karen from Facebook opinions are any more than Government are interested in what those people are claiming are red flags and genuine concerns. It isn’t the Supreme Court decides what definitions are necessary, because they only apply the law, they don’t make it, and they really aren’t interested in how some Twitter users or Facebook users choose to interpret legislation in accordance with their own beliefs.

However if anyone is genuinely interested in playing the part of performing their civic duty, or they’re interested in challenging the legislation on whatever grounds they like really, and they’re looking for legal representation, I hear Amni Burke’s schedule is free for the foreseeable future.

Do you normally take your cues from the Irish Muslim Council? I don’t, and I don’t imagine there’s a significant number of people in Ireland who do, they’re of no relevance whatsoever to most people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Varadkar "speech that causes harm to other people and that's is not the same thing as expressing your opinion or telling a joke."

When all that is required is the perception of 'hate", the person accused of 'causing harm to other people with speech will be presumed guilty until they prove their innocence. This is why 'hate' must be defined. I don't think Leo has read the legislation, if he did he would understand how his response contradicts itself.

At the end, there was a confirmation that both members of the party unsure have been set straight and will vote for the bill

Are they really copying Zelensky by pulling up a chair to speak and be closer to the "reporters" ffs

The supreme court can strike down laws, and regularly do. They depend on evidence and precedent from this jurisdiction and others to guide them. They do in fact decide if definitions are necessary in the cases of vague legislation.

Genuine concerns are.coming from knowledgeable people, I'm not talking about those people like Trump or elon musk. I mean actual people that know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

If we look at how hate speech and laws have affected education in America you can see an explosion in homeschooling with African American parents leading the way statistically in removing their kids from state education and not redneck trumpites. As a libertarian I believe the state should have no part in the moral or ethical education of children, it's a dangerous path. I want people to spew hate from the rooftops so I know who they are, not coat it in sugar and allow it to fester.

• Advertisement

The problem.thete is when they start spewing bullets from the rooftops.

Yeah that’s definitely nothing like what you said the first time, but I’m not going to quibble over the details, apart from the fact that you left out the fact that they can decide whether legislation is excessively vague, and should therefore be regarded as unconstitutional. You appear to have decided it’s already a foregone conclusion that they would make such a declaration should the opportunity present itself by anyone choosing to pursue a legal challenge the legislation.

I know what you mean by genuine concerns coming from people who know what they’re talking about, and that’s why the Government has, as one would expect, sought legal advice from the Attorney General, who advised against the idea of a requirement for a specific definition of the meaning of the word hate in the context of this particular piece of legislation -

On this basis, the Attorney General has advised against any amendments to the Bill with regard to the meaning of hatred. I agree with this advice. Hatred is a concept that is well understood by our courts. It is fair and correct for us to place our faith in the criminal justice professionals whose duty it is to interpret and apply legislation decided on by the Oireachtas.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/ga/debates/debate/dail/2023-04-26/20/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Exactly - there are many clear lines from hate speech to terrorism. Lots of examples and Lots of research on this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But then people like Michael McDowell have expressed concerns, a barrister, former Attorney General, former minister for justice,equality and law reform and current sitting senator.

We have current hate crime legislation, in the prohibition of incitement to hatred act 1989, which is never used because it's just not good enough. We need up to date legislation. I'm really not sure this bill in its current state is good enough, but I'm sure we will find out!

The problem is that there are not many clear lines between someone disliking what you say and ending up being charged with hate speech under this legislation.

I'm not against hate speech by the way. But I think the definition of hate speech should be clearer. Call for someone to be injured or killed, hate speech. Threaten someone with violence, hate speech.

Disagree with someone over genders, not hate speech. Have an offensive meme, not hate speech. And so on and so on. Saying Islam/Christianity/Judism etc. is a pile of shyte, not hate speech.

There's no such thing as charged with hate speech in the bill.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

I try not to get hot under the collar about instances of "woke-ism gone mad". I generally find that articles on the subject written with the most quivering indignation are based on innuendo, exaggeration or are straw-man responses to points that have not actually been made by any serious commentator.

A classic example is the recent article by Eilish O'Hanlon in the Sunday independent (referenced above) which is a lengthy response to a purported email of unstated origin, from which a solitary, incomplete and vapid quote concerning pronouns is taken to imply that free speech as we know it is under threat if we let these lunatics dictate the limits of public discourse.

Anonymous people sending e-mails to Sindo staff are nothing to worry about. Of more concern might be the report below on the BBC Northern Ireland Website. Here, somebody from one of the world's most venerable news organisations has clearly gone to some trouble to marshal a chorus of disapproval against a local singer/songwriter who told people in Canada some examples of Irish slang. This included the word "knackered" meaning tired.

He warned that a shortened form of the word is a derogatory term for Travellers in Ireland and he was at pains to point out that it was not a word that one should use in that context at all.

Cue outrage, denunciation and demands for an apology. Really?

Dermot Kennedy has done nothing wrong here. The journalist who rang around the rent-a-quote mob asking people to comment on this outrage is concocting a story based on nothing but innuendo. I suspect they didn't give people the full context in which Kennedy's comment was made. The clear point of the story was to elicit outrage and condemnation. Over nothing. And this is the BBC, remember.

What would be the consequences if we had anti-"hate-speech" legislation?

Dermot Kennedy: Singer urged to apologise for racial slur - BBC News

Admittedly when you previously referred to knowledgeable people who know what they’re talking about in relation to the legislation, Michael McDowell is not even among the first hundred names that spring to mind. Frankly, McDowell can go shyte in a bucket as far as I’d be concerned, but to address his concerns specifically, they appear to revolve around his apparent failure to understand terms which are widely understood already, and would certainly be well understood by McDowell given his considerable experience and background in both law and politics already -

https://www.michaelmcdowell.ie/clarification-sought-on-incitement-to-hate-offences-bill.html

The only way we could possibly find out whether or not the legislation is actually good enough, or I suppose does what it is expected to do, which is to provide protection from prejudice, discrimination and harm against anyone on the basis of any of the protected characteristics or other conditions contained within the legislation, is once it is enacted, that it does what it says on the tin, so to speak -

Bill entitled an Act to amend the law relating to the prohibition of incitement to violence or hatred against a person or a group of persons on account of certain characteristics (referred to as protected characteristics) of the person or the group of persons and to provide for an offence of condoning, denying or grossly trivialising genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity and crimes against peace and, in doing so, to give effect to Council Framework Decision 2008/913/JHA of 28 November 2008 on combating certain forms and expressions of racism and xenophobia by means of criminal law; to provide for certain offences aggravated by hatred in the Criminal Damage Act 1991, the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 and the Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act 1997; for those purposes, to provide for amendments of those and other enactments and to repeal the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989; to provide in respect of other offences for hatred against a person or a group of persons on account of certain characteristics (referred to as protected characteristics) of the person or the group of persons to be an aggravating factor in sentencing for those offences; and to provide for related matters.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2022/105/

You yourself have called out people for using such extreme examples. If you can't argue the point with resulting to extremums, your not really contributing to the debate.

• Advertisement

Thats not extreme examples That's happened. But even with the bullets there have been fights over this. And its not just the people on the rooftops who are throwing the punches.

I'm all.for disagreement - but people can disagree without being racist, phobic or bigoted. At least some of us can.

We are talking about being charged with incitement to hatred as a criminal offence which is a very serious offence with quite a high bar. There won't be people "charged with hate speech" for many many things that could be considered hate speech.

Government and the Attorney General have confirmed that only the most severe types of speech that constitute incitement to violence or hatred would be criminalised under the Bill. 

Terry Pratchet

I would think someone with the vast experience of Michael McDowell knows exactly what could be problematic with proposed legislation, more then the ordinary man in the street or on the internet.

Of course the president could refer the bill to the Supreme court before he signs it......but then that stops anyone else from ever challenging it before the courts, so maybe he will let it go.....

Can't remember that happening here in Ireland, can you? My original point was that forcing ppl to hide their hatred allows it to fester, that would lead to scenarios like yours . The reason they don't happen in Ireland is we allow our fringe elements to spout out and vent their shite.

I would have thought so too, but apparently not. Well, that’s if you regard McDowell’s concerns as having any credibility or legitimacy whatsoever. Struggling to give him the benefit of the doubt myself tbh, precisely because I’m aware of his knowledge and experience in both law and politics. He’s not an idiot, and yet, his letter serves as evidence to the contrary.

I’d imagine Michael D can’t wait for the ink to dry before he kicks off a party in the Aras In celebration of the legislation tbh, although it may soften his cough in relation to his inability to restrain himself from commenting on Government policy… may not be such a bad thing either 🤔

That's probably because we don't have access to guns! In my defence though, the post I was referring to specified the US.

I accept your point of needing an outlet- but you can have the outlet while expressing respectfully. Case in point: the Irish Muslim Council letter posted above.

Venting requirements disrespect, that's the whole point. Preventing this drives this underground and makes it more insidious. I'd rather know if a cake shop won't decorate a cake for a gay couple because they are gay than the cake shop coming up with a workaround.

Like when nothing was done about the guy talking about wiping out the Jews who eventually had to be arrested for calling for riots through Finglas Garda Station?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The reality is most people including myself will just ignore this stupid bill, we won't be silenced.

• Advertisement

But are you planning on going anything that will be against the law?

The law doesn't stop you having opinions, so shouldn't affect you.

Advertisement