Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxis not accepting card payment

Comments

• Not to mention the time and energy wasted in the bank is time not making money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭pgj2015

in and out of the bank/post office in 5 minutes, just do it between runs, no big deal.

You might only lodge money once every week or 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

An Post doesn't operate Business Accounts. If you're taking about lodging to an AIB/BOI account via an post, then they do charge.

Also, the opportunity cost of the time spent in the post office needs to be taken into account. I'll be honest, I don't go to the post office often, but the last few times I have gone to post a parcel or whatever, I've been waiting at least 20/25 mins in a Q.

they dont ask if its a business account, just put it in a savings account.

im in and out of there in a few minutes, I just go when there is hardly anyone in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cash being lodged would not be a huge issue. Credit unions, Post office all take cash without fees. Non business accounts can lodge cash into as well and banks will take no notice unless excessive 5+k/week I doubt if any taxi is doing that.

On business accounts debits and credits cost money as well so along with sum up fee you may be caught with a credit transaction fee as well.

I presume like many other small sole traders operators Taxi drivers especially older ones deal mainly with CU's because of ease of borrowing.

Anyway taxi drivers were never renowned for lodging cash

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There is actually a major benefit for taxi drivers that no one has mentioned, safety.

Quiet a few taxi drivers over the years have been attacked and robbed as they are known to be carrying decent amounts of cash. If we moved over completely to card and app, then it would result in a big reduction in such assaults, it would help making taxi driving safer. Same reason Dublin Bus has the exact fare system, no cash and no change (in the bus), it was brought in to help reduce attacks and robberies on bus drivers.

Post edited by bk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Exactly.

Smaller float, less reliance on change, less hassle, quicker, money already lodged to your account, fully traceable, safer for everyone, no hanging around or spending extra petrol money on finding an ATM........There is zero reason for drivers to be against card payments, except to diddle revenue out of it.

Story from a taxi in Ireland.

2 women get in at a rank, in their 20's or 30's, they tell driver where to go. Driver knows its a very short fare, 6 or 7 euro.

1 asks can you take card? the driver says have you cash? seeing as its such a short trip and maybe they have 7 euro cash between the 2 of them, why give anything from 7 euro to sumup especially on such a low fare and the bother of setting up the card reader for a few euro.

1 of the women "oh no he has to take card, its the law" 😂 the other woman was a lot nicer and sounder and says will you calm down to her friend?

driver says its ok, I can take card, I was was just seeing if you had cash, its a very short fare.

Get to the destination, 6.40 is the total cost, paid by card, so the driver didnt even get the 6.40.

Next fare was 2 lads to the same destination, fare was 6 euro, they paid 10 in cash without driver saying anything, keep the change.

see the difference? its not about money a lot of the time but If a driver is thinking about heading to town on a saturady night and he/she thinks about that wagon who kicked up a fuse over 6.40, he/she might say I will leave them to it.

Its the same people you hear complaining about lack of taxis who will give a driver a hard time over a few euro, just being awkward for the sake of it.

Cool story, no idea what its got to do with anything apart from showing how much of a chip on the shoulder you have about having income visible to revenue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

see the difference?

Yeah, about €3.40. What other differences are you trying to highlight because that entire anecdote does SFA to back up what you were saying earlier.

Here's another one:

2 women get in at rank and ask can he take card?

Driver says no, because he doesn't want to pay 30c to the machine operator

Lady reports him to the regulator and he gets fined €350

See the difference?

As I said it's not about the money but the attitude of some customers.

Some treat taxi drivers as their enemy and as untrustworthy characters which is unfair in my opinion.

If you saw my tax bill you wouldn't say that by the way.

The driver didn't refuse the card payment.

It's about the difference in passengers, some are sound others are anything but.

Some take 20 cent back from a 19:80 fare, others give you 30 euro fir a 12 euro fare. Takes all sorts I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"The bother of setting up the card reader" it should be set up before the fare.

That taxi driver should leave the job to people who take it seriously, does he declare the tip to the revenue?

If this is you in the story, stop driving a taxi, your not good at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

Could apply same to drivers. Some ive met are incredibly sound and friendly and the lifeblood of the sector, others are absolutely miserable, lazy and/or shady. The only difference is that the passenger is the customer and the driver is the 'business' and therefore requirement of friendliness and professionalism is uneven and moreso required on the driver IMO.

Also in your example the driver is entitled to €19.80, not €20. If the customer chooses to leave the 20 cent (as many likely would including myself) that should be welcomed by the driver, however if they choose to ask for the change it should not reflect on the individual at all as they have fully paid the required fare asked of them. As for individuals leaving an €18 tip on a €12 fare, well for them and a massive, ridiculous and I imagine exceptional bonus for the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Do you normally go into the butchers and when they say, €6.40 please for that mince meat and go, ahh no bother, here’s a tenner, keep the change!

I doubt it. Same difference here. And for a fare to be that low you would have to be driving around the corner. So yeah, you can pay the 20 cent fee, the same as the butcher for the mince.

And the butcher will have the machine and say please and thank you and see you again. None of the guff that comes from many taxi drivers.

😂 im not good at it. my bank balance says otherwise. 😉

• I work in a restaurant. Some guests are lovely and some are arseholes.

In fact the same would be said for someone working in retail, fashion, customer service, IT repair, healthcare, mechanics, bus drivers, airport staff, so on

public facing jobs are always going to have arseholes to deal with. It’s just not an excuse to not have a card machine available or what exactly was your point?

If you’re wondering why people have little patience for taxi drivers just look at the ire some of them have here towards their customers wanting to pay with card!

you’ve had comments from people that implied or outright alleged that people going to rural locations paying by card are just out to rob the driver.

I swear if you guys put as much energy into just moving with the times and adapting technology that’s absolutely everyone by now as you do defending the use of cash (as if anyones trying to take it form you..) there’d be no problem that couldn’t be solved here.

I’ve never seen such a pushback against using cards. The fact some taxis would also rather drive a fare to a nearby ATM just to skip card payments is weird as hell too.

taxi drivers are making themselves the enemy imo.

What other business in Ireland has to take card payments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Similar experience recently. A lot of them do really deserve the bad name and pgj2015's constant shitehawking on here does nothing to disabuse me of that impression. Others appear decent like spook but too many are like pgj2015, total and complete shitehawks.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say keep the change, I would put the change in a poor box if he had one. Butchers isnt a business you tip, dont ask me why but a lot of people tip taxis, waiters etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“Get to the destination, 6.40 is the total cost, paid by card, so the driver didnt even get the 6.40.”

Even if they had paid in cash, you still wouldn’t have gotten 6.40, as all your other costs also have to come out of that.

• Fully declare it to the revenue and pay all the taxes due on it. You do declare all your income to revenue of course!
    • Pay for the Diesel or electricity on the trip
    • Pay for insurance, car payments, maintenance of the car
    • pay for the taxi license, etc.

All just costs of doing business.

These threads always amaze me. It is clear that at least some taxi drivers don’t understand that they aren’t employees, that instead they are small business people and like running any business there are costs involved. 100% of the money that that a customer pays you doesn’t just go into your pocket, that first it most cover all your business expenses, including tax of course, before you take your cut, just like with any business.

It strikes me that some taxi drivers (I’m sure not all) aren’t cut out at all for running their own business.

As an aside, no reason someone paying by card can’t tip you too. They can just tell you to put a few Euro extra on the card payment, I do that myself often when paying by card.

To be honest I wouldnt welcome a 20 cent tip but I would think you were stingy if you took it back.

You might learn sometime from one of the very few posters on this thread who knows what they are talking about.

I'm talking about you, not to you. Just summing up that you're a well dodgy taxi man with not enough respect for the rules. You've shown this yourself.

Not in the slightest bit dodgy.

• Advertisement

You mean because you don’t properly declare it to revenue and pay tax on it.

Been to the university of life have you??😄😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

Why wouldnt you? As youve stated before the card provider costs of a €12 fare are about 25c, you wouldnt welcome a tip that covers most of these costs that you are so hateful of?

Side bar but honest question on tips: on a standard €20 trip which is a standard journey with no additional services, do you finish the trip expecting a tip of a couple of euro?

ah tips arent as good when people pay by card. get it now? people arent as generous when they pay by card. stop trying to imply im dodging tax.

Because 20 cent is nothing, if the fare was 20 euro and they gave me a 20 cent tip, it would be insulting, I wouldn't take it off them.

I would never expect a tip off anyone because everyone is different, some are dirt mean and others are really generous.

Im talking as someone who knows the taxi industry inside out unlike you. And I am very well educated as well by the way. hilarious joke though. 🥱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭apache

I pay by card and tip €2. It's no problem but I've stopped doing it. Hardly ever get a thank you. Few bad apples probably ruining it for them all. I don't get tipped anyway. Why should they get tipped?

Wasn't familiar with an area last week so driver took me the long way around.

And they take ages fiddling with the card machine. A bit fed up of them lately.

Tough, all you are entitled too is what is on the meter, anything above that is a bonus, but you aren’t entitled to it in anyway. And frankly it is no reflection on the customer if they tip or not or how much. Everyone has different circumstances and not everyone can tip generously.

And yes, tax evasion is unfortunately rampant in the taxi industry. Funny story, after deregulation the government offered to do a deal with the taxi drivers who previously had license to cover the money they lost by reducing their tax liability, the taxi drivers rejected the deal because so many of them weren’t paying he tax they should anyway.

Sure, sure, that's why you're taxiing 😁. Uber and Bolt will sort the likes of you out...eventually.

Yeah sure just paint them all with the same brush. There are some great people who are taxi drivers, I know a few.

There are bad apples in every job.

“I pay by card and tip €2. It's no problem but I've stopped doing it. Hardly ever get a thank you. Few bad apples probably ruining it for them all. I don't get tipped anyway. Why should they get tipped?”

Same here, I use to always tip when using apps, etc. At least enough to cover the fees, etc. But seeing the **** attitude some drivers have on threads like this really puts you off and instead just want to pay the required fare by app/card and nothing more.

It sucks though, because I’ve had many lovely drivers over the year that were super nice and very professional, always happy when I get a great driver like that, but some bad apples in the industry really spoil it.

• Advertisement

Im not taxiing, im running several businesses 😉 if I stayed in my graduate job, I wouldn't have a penny now so the jokes on you.

😂 Im not reliant on the taxi industry, all my eggs arent in 1 basket so I couldnt care less if uber or bolt are allowed operate the way they do in some other countries. No sign of that anyway, its only you wishing they are because you are too tight to pay for a real taxi. 😂

You should join us and make a few quid? lot of money to be made driving taxi you know. thats why we dont have to work nights.

Grand you don’t care about us customers, so why should we care about you? We should all just pay by card so and pay just the fare, no tip, end of story.

You're doing a little bit too much explaining there buddy ... 😁😁😁. Thanks for the laugh.

tax evasion is rampant in a lot of industries. its not like its just in the taxi industry. what have the government done to clamp down on trades people hiding money from revenue? and that is a lot more than a taxi driver could ever hide.

fair enough and I will stop the discounts and rounding down.😊

You're first post here was "have some respect for taxi drivers getting you home safely" then it became about stranding wagons for asking you to do your job. Absolute mental behaviour. Especially since you were claiming not to be a taxi driver in another thread.....

But you think a 20 cent "discount" is a favour.

Genuinely in decades of using taxis I’ve never seen any discounts (only exception being discounts offered for signing up to anpps) and maybe just a handful of rounding downs. It would be much better all round if everyone just paid the fare on the meter and not a cent more and we all paid by card and taxi drivers (and every other trade) paid the tax they owed.

Thats enough of this thread for me I think.

its all very negative when you think about it. yer one was a wagon though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement