Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

But there is this perverse "without question, unlimited numbers" narrative. You've seen it, I've seen it, everyone sees it. Every single major political leader here has stated we have to do this. And anybody, any decent person who is questioning this utter madness is labelled "far right" by both establishment media and the elected representatives within the power structure. There is no debate, where do you see any debate on the issue happening with the current establishment power structure Gg? On RTE? On the likes of 'The Irish Times', within Leinster house even? If I am doing a total misrepresentation, then where is it?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You need to read the full article before posting and make sure you are not misleading people .

This quote from the Mayor of Bordeaux for example ..

" The Mayor of Bordeaux, Pierre Hurmic, said he was 'extremely shocked' by the attack but added: 'The answers to be given are not simple: they are only simple for those who are looking for scapegoats [...] I will not howl with the wolves, that is the easy solution.' "

It appears you went straight to the bottom ....of the article , to get the quotes from 2 notorious far right politicians, Marine le Pen for one , on which to base your post .

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The first part of the article

A video from France’s Bordeaux where an alleged migrant of African origin was captured attacking an elderly woman and a child has been going viral on social media. The undated video shows the elderly woman and a child, who is possibly her granddaughter, being pulled down to the ground by the attacker.

I'm just giving reason for the article link story to begin with in this thread

And everyone else is labelled " send everybody in without question left wing PBP types " as per your own post ?

So how can anyone take that seriously ?

There is an appetite for restricting numbers more and more I agree , but it is not overwhelming most people's respect for human dignity and wish to help refugees , unlike some of the rhetoric I have seen displayed here on this forum .

I have said before and I will say it again , we do not need extreme politics on either side of the debate as it does more harm to our society than good .

What we need is to tell our politicians on all sides clearly what we want and , let them do what they are bloody paid to and come up with a solution .

I know all my local tds are on email and WhatsApp . I am sure they all are .

We are all well able to use social media.

Email your local representatives all of them. Or your local cumann members .

It's really not that hard to change policy ..if they know that groundswell of opinion is going in a particular direction against them, they will modify their policy.

That's how democracy works .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ah ok, so you believe there should be no immigration into Ireland by any other nationalities then

'Alleged ' . A black man 🙄

Why did you go straight to the quotes from the 2 far right politicians ??

Well if you blindly follow/agree with the narrative expressed by the establishment power structure, then what else to call or label you?

I know exactly how democracy works. We have all seen when you ignore the concerns of the citizenry how other power structures will rise up and take advantage of it. That's exactly how it works.

You didn't 'just 'give a ' reason ' .

You made a statement and quoted that which went to bias .

This was my response to @suvigirl asking about the post about a French homeless man etc., and my subsequent posts for follow up whys

What else do you want @Goldengirl @suvigirl

Maybe I should have let @RNFoxtrot answer a reply

• Advertisement

Why would you say I follow blindly ?? 🤣

Because I don't agree with anti immigrant or anti refugee sentiment ? Or with you ?

That's a very narrow view of people thinking they are all blindly following.

So the only intelligent path is the one you are taking ?

And if you know how democracy works, why assume people who speak out against anti migrant stuff are from one particular party ? The results from recent opinion polls show it is an across party debate .

You have no idea what I or others believe but if you actually read people's posts ,you may see more common ground for discussion , rather than just labelling .

You can bang on about " ignoring citizenry" and government and other " power structures " ,( sounds very CT imo ), but no td will ignore a citizen who I puts effort into writing a well worded email or talk at a local meeting .

There have been many an uncomfortable meeting with politicians or soon to be elected reps when people who disagree stand up and talk ..as you can see it causes discomfort here too when we all don't " agree " :)

And nobody is going to be ignored likewise if they speak up. It might not be easy but it beats sitting in stony silence and regretting not giving your opinion , even if contrary to majority .

These guys( politicians) are generally there for the jam, but there will be no jam if their bread isn't buttered , and they know that ,we know that and if you don't, then I am sorry for you , but engaging in CT is a pointless waste of energy ..write an email engage at your local meetings . Work for change instead.

You didn't answer as to why you quoted Marine le Pen and not the more moderate Mayor's response ?

And why can you not answer for your own posts ?

You posted it , now you don't know why it appears ....

But people like me have spoken up, I have written mails to TDs and Senators expressing my concerns. Not one reply. Probably because I am deemed "far right" like the power structure has chosen to deem me so. A recent poll undertaken by Virgin Media back in February found that up to two thirds of the Irish population stated that the establishment should not continue to take in an unlimited number of refugees.

The political establishment class countered that poll by stating they would ignore it. That it was the work of more imaginary "far right" brainwashing.

Now, continue to ignore the tide all you want, and I agree with you having the right to express your opinion that we should continue with an unlimited number, you do agree that we should have an unlimited number, right?

What I am saying is, and I think it may have rattled you a bit so apologies, but it is the truth, if you continue to ignore the concerns of the population, over two thirds, you are going to raise up a different type of power structure that will take advantage of the ignored widespread concern. And you're not going to like it. And O'Gorman, Varadkar, Martin, O'Donnell, McEntee et al will be in some continental apartment not giving one absolute solitary single $hite about you.

No you haven't rattled me at all . I disagree with your labelling of all people who disagree with the prevailing it seems antimigrant rhetoric.

I disagree with your statement that I believe we should have no limits . That annoys me because it proves you didn't read the posts replying to you , never mind the rest .

Read # 642 again and you will see what I believe, if you are really interested that is .

I also don't think the political establishment should be ignoring what people think but should be trying to get an accurate gauge for the majority of opinion.

I appreciate the apology however , and understand your point , even if I don't agree with the " desperateness " of it , quite yet . Yeah I wouldn't hang my hat on any of the present government leaders giving a sxxxe about me personally but their parties will if they are getting turfed out the next time round .

Yeah I've seen it but if you had to deal with some of the situations I have had to encounter/listen to the last 6 months, you wouldn't be in favour of an unlimited number of anybody coming in here any further. Our infrastructure is not capable of handling ourselves, let alone anybody else into the disfunctional disaster.

I understand you want to help people, that is a fantastic trait, and I genuinely mean that. Always do it, especially for your own. But introducing an unlimited number of extra people into a situation here, where for example, a bureaucracy such as the health service doesn't even know what type of surgical bed is warranted in the Children's Hospital, is an absolute total recipe for disaster. I've seen it first hand last winter in the local hospital, and the older that me, and my extended family gets, I'll have to see it further. We all will.

Our elected establishment does not care about us, so what hope do you think they are going to care about anyone else? Everybody is being used, and the end result is not going to be pretty.

Like I said, other power structures are going to take advantage, it will happen.

Ah the health service ...now that's a conversation for another thread ;)

But the unlimited numbers will still have to use that service and a whole plethora of other state run services that are already on their last legs. You will have to use them eventually.

This is not going to end well. And like I said, if the establishment continues to ignore its gross mismanagement of the entire situation, it will be US, me, you, your family, everybody else, including the migrants, anyone that hasn't the luxury of a gold plated salary/pension, we will be the ones to ultimately suffer the cost and reap the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Good post.

It seems to me, (increasingly over time) that our current "leaders" are more intent on serving their masters in Brussels than they are on representing the people who elected them. I cannot help thinking that too many are career minded and have one eye on a future in the EU power structure.

It is becoming clear, that there are major concerns in the country about the direction we are taking.

Now these concerns may or may not be valid. But they need to be taken on board and addressed , rather than being contemptuously ignored which appears to be the case at present.

The health service has been an issue for decades.

Whatever government is in have to fund every service per capita and that includes refugees so your point that they will be causing problems for me and others is not accurate.

I again say I don't regard this as the end of days situations you appear to , but maybe a time to take stock moment ?

Maybe I have been through more than one recession and have heard it all before ?

And don't assume people have loadsamoney because they have worked in public services .

Many people have children to consider and educate , many adults, who continue living at home or emigrate .

(I am getting another labelling undercurrent here which is not welcome , buried . )

• Advertisement

Why is it not welcome? I'm only factually stating what happened to me last Christmas in a main regional hospital, already under pressure for the last decade that is in a geographical area where hundreds of additional people have been thrown into the geographical equation. Should I not talk about it? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭suvigirl

All people in the country will use the health service. Irish, British, EU citizens, visa holders, refugees and asylum seekers. All put pressure on our systems.

Which ones exactly would you suggest don't need those services?

@JP Liz V1 you can quote who you like ...but don't be throwing your hands up saying what's wrong lads when you are called out for bias and misinformation .

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

@Goldengirl wrote #658: Whatever government is in have to fund every service per capita and that includes refugees so your point that they will be causing problems for me and others is not accurate.

That's not true unfortunately. They can reduce funding per capita if funds are not available. And, of course, there can also be capacity constraints other than funding.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If he is not it has no relevance to this thread

This thread is about migration. Not crimes committed by nationals, not refugees (we have had plenty of threads discussing the latter)

Any questions PM me 0 do not reply to this post in thread

Well its like this GG, I own a car, it has four seats. That's what the car can literally functionally handle in its area of operational zone in order for it to work effectively. I wouldn't be putting an unlimited number into it or onto it and hope in the crazy and demented thought process that by doing so, everything will go swimmingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Latest opinion poll (Ipsos / Irish Times June 15th) has SF, FF, FG, SDs, Lab and Greens polling at 85% combined (with most other support going to all sorts of independents). You're in for a huge disappointment if you think there is some big populist anti-'establishment', anti-immigration and anti-refugee movement growing in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Come back in 10-15 years time and let me know how your defunct job switching regime is handling the occasion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement