Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

The government policies do nothing to make houses affordable, they only make unaffordable houses affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

The problem though is that if you have a house you can look at it like that. If you havent a house and affordability is running away from you all the time then you would have a different view on it. Those people arent going to want to hear that you are going to inflict short term pain on them for long term gain. They just want to be able to buy a house.

As the man says. When you look out through another mans eyes, only then will you see the world he is living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was absolutely furious when they announced it but I know people who were waiting at the end of 2022 for that to come in so they could borrow more and have more affordability. It never entered their mind that everyone they were competing against were in the exact same position and the only winner there would be the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

and the only winner there would be the seller.

No no, you forgot the lender, the exchequer, and basically everyone involved in the purchasing of the house bar the person going on the hook for the inflated loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

The marriage ban ended in 1973, not the 1980s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

The people who don't have a house were the ones most negatively impacted by the increase in the loan to income ratio. It didn't increase affordability at all, it just added tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of euros to people's mortgages to purchase the same house that would have cost less had the ratio not been increased.

If person X could suddenly borrow more due to the new ratio then their competitor bidding for the same house in the vast majority of cases, person Y, could now also borrow more. It didn't change the playing field/market at all unless you were going against _only_ cash bidders, which very very few people are in our open market.

The people who befitted from the measure were homeowners who saw their house price inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The only reason that legislation changed in 73 was because it had to if we were to join the EU. The reality was that it lived on long after that and it was only in the late 80’s and early 90’s that married women entered the workforce in large numbers.

Source: https://www.esri.ie/system/files?file=media/file-uploads/2016-09/QEC2016AUT.pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I suppose the benefit to people was that they were able to borrow more money.........which is generally a benefit, particularily if you have the ability to repay a larger mortgage than your income limit sets on you but are unable to get that mortgage because of the income restrictions.

Yeah, it probably effected different people in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Come up so many times in this thread, but again, the government have no influence over lending limits. Thankfully it is all controlled by the CBI.

I agree the timing of increasing them was unfortunate, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the government.

The Central Bank did a public consultation on it. The public was overwhelming in favour of increasing the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Wow, I wouldn't have thought it would be prudent for the CBI to make decisions based on how the public opinion weather vane is blowing.

• Advertisement

They wouldn’t just take it 100% at face value and follow it blindly. They would just gather views of lots of people and use it to assist their decision making process. Fairly common thing for them to do on a variety of topics. Should in theory help to avoid narrow thinking by a relatively small number of fairly like minded people.

The reason I mentioned it was just there’s regularly an accusation throw out here along the lines that Leo Varadkar personally increased lending limits to increase house prices despite nobody wanting it to happen. Nope, it was decided by an independent body and widely welcomed by the vast majority of the public (I’d argue that they were misguided but, hey, that’s just my opinion!).

If you think the CBI makes its decisions in an independent vacuum of government influence in Ireland then I've got a bridge to sell you.

It, and its policymakers, are intrinsically linked to the political system they operate within on a day-to-day basis. The governor is quite literally a government appointee.

We also have very recent history of the CBI being disastrously under the sway of government before the 2008 crash with the much publicised "green jersey agenda" scandal. Its beyond naive to think the recent (positive, but slow and limited) 2015 to present EU reforms have fully revolutionised the cozy relationship of the preceding 70 years.

The CBI is made up of a lot of professionals of varying backgrounds jumping in and out of private sector, often stopping in CBI just to boost their CV. I know lots and lots of them, current and former, many towards the very top. I can assure you, they couldn’t care less what Leo Varadkar or any politician thinks of them. He has zero power/influence over them and their professionalism and long term career ambitions way outweigh making reckless decisions purely to gain some political favour.

And if you think Gabriel Malkhouf -

A) Was personally involved in the lending limit change in any material way

B) Made his individual contribution under some Godfather style intimidation by a politician that he’d be fired if he didn’t (which is close to impossible to do)

then lol. Belongs in conspiracy theories forum tbh.

All the above totally aside. If you do insist the government control lending limits in some sort of shadowhand way and do so purely to increase house prices - then why on earth would they preside over some of the most stringent lending limits in a first world country?? Even after the 4x we’re still very conservative relative to peers, so if anything as a proponent of low LTI limits (I am also btw), you should be praising them.

Unfortunately in Ireland it has become the norm to just blame all of life’s woes on ‘the government’. Sometimes it’s justified, but reaching like this just detracts from genuine mistakes they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Not exactly a popular appointment was Gabby Mak, particularly amongst those that were tasked with cleaning up the mess of the previous regime

Two former governors of the Central Bank raised concerns with senior figures in Government around the recent appointment of their successor.

Both Philip Lane and Patrick Honohan privately raised concerns around different aspects of Gabriel Makhlouf assuming the role of governor of the Central Bank

Earlier this week it was disclosed that the European Central Bank (ECB) had also raised a number concerns over the Government’s choice of Mr Makhlouf as new governor

As for government intentions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It has been suggested that unused commercial real estate such as office buildings be converted to housing units to tackle the housing shortage. From the governments perspective, I can see why they would not be enthusiastic about such a move and why converting them to migrant accomodation would be preferable. You see, if office space is made available for housing, that would increase the supply of housing units which would put downward pressure on house prices. The government wants house prices to stay high, at any cost because they don`t want people defaulting which would put further downward pressure on house prices.

Hence the government`s preference for migrant accomodation over increased house supply. Besides, as young Irish people emmigrate, I guess they want the migrants to stay and pay the 200 billion they borrowed to inflate house prices beyond their reach.

Agreed. And would also make a big difference if the buyer was renting to now not having to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The bigger issue is the cost of converting offices into housing whilst is actually quite high, the building regulations are very different.

Not only that but commercial rents would be far higher than domestic rents, so the decision to convert to residential would in itself significantly reduce the book value of the building. At least this is the case in the US, would imagine our cities would be similar

Far better in my opinion to convert the older buildings in the city centre to residential as in many cases this is what they originally were

All the above totally aside. If you do insist the government control lending limits in some sort of shadowhand way and do so purely to increase house prices - then why on earth would they preside over some of the most stringent lending limits in a first world country

Correct me if I'm wrong but the mortgage controls were a product of the ECB/IMF bailout to help prevent a recurrence of the 08 crash.

Many here were a little distraught when AJ Chopra left as they knew what government would be doing without the strict oversight of the IMF

Gov have been trying to get around them since there inception

Probably a lot to do with the economy of the 80's, many young men and women were leaving

• Advertisement

Couple of big office buildings near my office have been totally empty since 2020. They are now starting to fill back up.

We are also gone from 1 day a week in the office to 2 days. We got an email from the company to say going to 3 days in October and 4 days in January.

Dont know if other companies will do the same, but office buildings are starting to get used again.

They came in 2014 or 15 and yes of course linked to the lessons learned from the previous crisis. But can’t have it both ways

• When strict lending rules are introduced, it’s separate from government. Nothing to do with them

• When they are loosened - lending rules are set by the government.

The governments motives are fairly clear. Get as many people owning homes as possible as homeowners typically vote for them. I strongly disagree with many of their schemes (in particular shared equity). The HTB has its drawbacks but overall is a sensible force for good in my opinion. The idea that they are just trying to inflate house prices for the sake of it is preposterous and is clearly costing them votes and likely their jobs.

eg. Just today. Leo clearly balancing the desire to get people homes and out of rent traps while remaining conscious of not having unintended inflationary impacts on prices. https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/housing-planning/2023/06/20/taoiseach-disinclined-to-extend-help-to-buy-scheme-to-second-hand-homes/

People wishing a recession are harmless to the economy, those that are putting the economy in the worst possible position when the inevitable recession arrives are the problem.

When the US govener of the central bank stated that households and businesses will experience pain from there actions, do you think they are doing such things out of necessity or for a laugh!

I’m specifically talking about married women and the fact that most were not in the workplace in the early/mid 80’s and this was one of the reasons why it was possible to buy on one salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

You're being a bit naive. Overt conspiracy involving Godfather-style intimidation or secret meetings is not necessary in order for 'independent' quangos to somehow mysteriously align their actions with government objectives.

Again, why would the all powerful, house prices crazed government allow a decade (and still the case) of very stringent lending rules by international standards?

Secondly, ‘quangos’ is typically reserved for people who are suckling on the teet of government and are on some sort of golden ticket which they are terrified to lose.

The vast majority of senior Central Bankers are incredible professionals earning pennies on the euro purely to gain some experience before they move onto massive roles in the private sector a few years later, often abroad.

Many will go on to international private sector banks or insurers earning more in a month than any politician does in a year. It’s a serious stretch to think they would compromise their professionalism just to hold onto their fairly crappy paying jobs.

The clear government motives you describe are exactly what happened during the celtic tiger

Lobbying was also identified as a key contributer to the 08 crash. The change in rules has got the lobbyists finger prints all over it as well as our entire housing policy. This policy is a governance failure, highly inflationary and ultimately gets us further away from what you feel is governments objective of getting as many as possible in there own homes.

This leave the country highly vulnerable to an economic shock. I'm pretty sure those in power are intelligent enough to understand that.

Slightly different path, same outcomes, I fear

The issue with central bank prior to ‘08 was that they were not questioning the risks within the banking sector and were relying on whatever returns were made by the banks and taking it on face value. (I.e. asleep at the wheel)

That has all changed to the point where they are now one of the hardest regulators to deal with as they question everything. They definitely ask more questions than other European regulators when it comes to banks.

The other point to note is that they issued a discussion paper on LTI and the message that was received loud and clear from the public was that FTB’s were being locked out of buying because of LTI rules despite demonstrating that they had the ability to repay by paying rent that was much higher than mortgage repayments. This wasn’t a case of the government telling them what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Made an enquiry on a 3 bed house in Raheny, asking price €625k, current bid is €748k. Madness.

• Advertisement

So just to be clear, you're completely ignoring the well documented history of the CBI being influenced by the Irish government within recent years that I mentioned in my post?

Because its not remotely a conspiracy theory, much like in our previous discussion you really should educate yourself on economics before making such absolutist statements. The Wikipedia article (of all things) on the CBI has a good introduction to the issue for you with plenty of sources:

[quote]In 2016, several Irish bank CEOs testified to being asked by senior officials of the Central Bank during 2007–2011 to follow a "green jersey agenda" in obfuscating the facts of Ireland's deteriorating banking system.[57][58][59][60] After the 2011–bailout by the EU–ECB–IMF (e.g. the European troika) of the Irish banking system, a number of non–Irish senior executives were placed in the Central Bank of Ireland, including the Board of the Bank. However, by 2017, almost all these non–Irish executives had departed the Central Bank, and some have publicised concerns about the Central Bank's tendency to push aside risk-management in pursuit of political and Government objectives.[/quote]

The Irish state was forced to implement relatively low LTI ratios after the crash, it wasn't something either of FF or FG willingly wanted to do. They were, as Villa05 linked, lobbying to increase them as soon as feasibly possible in the years afterwards. If given another 5 years in power you can bet they'll be increased again to prop up house prices.

Advertisement