Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

As for the lane - the left lane goes left at the end of the road. The right lane goes right. I want to go right, that's why I'm in that lane. It's the same reason the car is in the right-hand lane.

Then if it was me, I'd have been hugging the rightmost side of the right lane, to allow traffic to overtake me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is not great advice. Take the centre of the lane or stay in the left lane until you're confident you can merge into the other lane. Taking the extreme right or left to facilitate overtaking does nothing more than facilitate bad and dangerous driving.

Taking the centre gives no option but to overtake properly in another lane.

That last one is criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I disagree. First of all, it's not advice: it's me saying what I'd do. Secondly, if I hug the right, a car in the RH lane can overtake me on the inside easily (bad driving, dangerous driving? what are you talking about). The important difference with between what I'd do and what's in the video is that I'm less inconvenient to the drivers, which is something that's often overlooked by entitled cyclists; it's important to maintain good vibes between drivers and cyclists, and vice-versa. When I come to the point that the two lanes diverge, then I can begin to choose the point at which I move back to the LH side of the lane, if I even need to do that. I've been cycling a long time in the city of Dublin, almost daily, and I can handle myself well in traffic. I seldom have near misses, and when I do I don't come on websites to whinge about it, instead I get on with my life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when I do I don't come on websites to whinge about it, instead I get on with my life.

winning hearts and minds!

I've been cycling a long time in the city of Dublin, almost daily

I climbed Mount Everest last Tuesday, lovely views

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I cycled through Dublin city for around 5 years between going to college and work. You'll see me smack bang in the middle of a bus lane or taking the lane on tighter roads. My safety is more important than someone feeling inconvenienced for being "held up" by a cyclist for 5 seconds when they won't bat an eyelid at being stuck in traffic for 10-15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Exactly. And therein lies the irony. That car was making precisely zero progress every time they overtook me. They were just racing to their next stop, at which point I was going past again. As I mentioned already, I passed them again after the video ends, at which point we went our separate ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Without any interest in blame (I'd have 100% done everything you did) I think with hindsight you'd have been better off leaving them do their dopey driving ahead of you.

But I was wondering why didn't you pop into the bike lane on South Mall nearer to the start of it? I don't cycle South Mall so just wondering what made you avoid that one?

Important to make sure you not inconvenient to the drivers.

Important to maintain good vibes.

This is Brass Eye levels of satire: you've got a bright career ahead of you. Just the right amount of believability, it's really well written I must say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you avoid driving around with four empty seats for short journeys that are easily walked or cycled to maintain good vibes between drivers and cyclists?

The first opportunity for me to get into that cycle lane would have been immediately after the South Mall/Parliament Bridge junction. It's actually what I was intending on doing - but the car squeezed right alongside me at the lights. I expected him to either floor it off the lights, or be immediately on my right as we got going. So, I couldn't cut across him to get to the cycle lane.

Makes sense yep, you would have but didn't have the room.

I was just wondering if there was an issue with that cycle lane. I guess we could say the issue is that the South Mall cycle lane actually begins in the shared space on the wrong side of the road by Grand Parade corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The mental thing is (as with most city driving) - he was making no progress every time he got ahead of me

Isn't that the exact same as what you were doing at ~38s? Squeezing past him at the lights to get in front even though you were both caught at the next lights?

The thing is, yourself and that driver have a lot more in common than you realise!!

Cyclists have the right to filter to the front (safely) in stationary traffic. That's why cycle boxes at traffic lights exist.

A few posters have brought up the fact that I filtered to the front, in an attempt to create some sort of equivalency between me and the driver. I'm sorry, but nope, I'm not having that.

There's a big difference between me on my bike (all 100-ish kg) filtering slowly past a stationary car, and a 1.5/2 tonne car passing a cyclist at 40/50 km/hr. If I were to hit his car, at worst I might scratch it. On the other hand, if he had hit me, I could end up with life-changing injuries. There is zero equivalency here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

You are absolutely entitled to that right but sometimes it's nice just to be considerate instead of being entitled. Let's say a slower group of cyclists filtered through in front of you at the lights when you were stopped, they'd be prefectly entitled to do so but they'd be arseholes.

Like I said, you and the driver have a lot in common

Respectfully disagree.

I cycle through Cork City most weekdays. I meet loads of other cyclists of all abilities and speeds. I've never once thought negatively of any cyclist who moved in front of me.

Again. there is no equivalency between my actions and that of the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

That's called undertaking not overtaking and is illegal in Ireland as he would be using the same lane not just going slightly faster than someone in a different lane

The bicycle at the front is for safety not speed, come on do you really believe in the things you are saying, have some cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

How is it safer for a cyclist to be in front of a car rather than behind it when both are travelling in the same direction?

That doesn't make any sense.

• Advertisement

Wow, just wow. Its so the car/truck/bus can see them and ensure that they get across the junction safely and not squeezed to the left side of the road! Did I really have to say that or is there any common sense going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

If the bike is behind the car, there is no need for them to be seen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You lose any consideration from me when you drive poorly past me when in cycling. The driver made a poor pass in the first instance

Nonsense people saying you need to be considerate, but only want it one way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

In fairness. In this instance he could have just stayed behind the car at the first lights.

Slot in there behind him in the middle of the lane and advance in primary position till the next stop.

Being entitled to filter to the top, does not mean you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Really? It's seriously annoying and has the term shoaling. It's rampant on the quays in Dublin which is plagued with out of sequence traffic lights every few hundred meters and narrow cycle lanes (where they exist) making overtaking difficult. I don't so much mind it from the electric bike brigade who take off with gusto and clear a path but the Dublin bike users who force their way to the top and break lights to toddle along at 10km/h in a form of rolling road block are a different matter.

I'm not a fast cyclist but have had words with various cyclists who I've repeatedly overtaken along a short stretch of road, not one were able to explain why they push their way to the top of the queue of other cyclists.

Above is regarding other cyclists waiting at lights, I generally always filter past motorised traffic and wait in the advance bike box areas when safe to do so. A cyclist of any ability will always be faster than cars, vans, buses etc along heavily built up areas with poor light sequences such as the Dublin quays.

Yep, I could have stayed behind, but I didn't. Both options were available to me, and I made a choice. There was no right/wrong decision there.

Again, this post seems to be suggesting that, by filtering to the front, I somehow antagonized the driver and had a hand in the close passes. Even if a driver is antagonized, that in no way excuses how the passed me.

Cycling is in a very sorry state if people are genuinely taking the stance that 'the driver was annoyed, so the cyclist deserved it'.

Well, that's you, but it's definitely not me.

I still think it's bloody brilliant to see more and more people - of all ages and abilities, and on bikes of all shapes and sizes - getting around the city. I am firmly of the opinion that everyone needs to feel safe and encouraged on their bikes, and that starts with cyclists looking out for other cyclists. I'd never have words with any cyclist for being too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

No

Not saying you deserved it.

Or that annoyed drivers have carte blanche.

I'd just not have bothered creating another overtake requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Words weren't about the cyclists being slow (I've no problem with anyone doing whatever speed that suits them). The problem is when those cyclists jump the queue at lights (often breaking said lights) and then cause an obstruction since there's no easy means of overtaking them again given the constrained space available. Usually cycling in the cycle lane along the quays involves everyone reduced to the slowest denominator which is fine but when you do get a chance to overtake you shouldn't have to pass that same cyclist multiple times again if proper etiquette was adhered with.

Anyway back to the thread subject. Been relatively quite of late and really liking the new road surface and segregated cycle lane just after O'Connell bridge, big improvement. However that didn't stop a driver this morning undertaking traffic and going up the cycle instead, same driver cut back into the overtaking lane at the luas crossing but then encroached in on top of me as I was cycling towards Liberty Hall, had to slap the side of the car as the multiple lights and high vis obviously weren't enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Not a close pass, just stupid driving. Heading down to buy a sliced pan in my local Centra.

I signal my intent to turn at a junction where I'm taking a left, oncoming vehicle indicating right, just before I start my turn, the wan in the car indicating right darts across the road in front of me.

I brake, and she comes to a complete stop, before indicating right again, and parking contraflow (which I think should be illegal anyway) right on the corner of the junction.

I contemplated saying something, but as I looked at her I realised my presence hadn't even registered with her.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a Google maps image of the junction, and the pin is where she parked.

Advertisement