Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Depressing Towns & Villages in Ireland

Options
  • 21-06-2023 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Here's my contribution from my own County of Offaly:

1. Edenderry - Had the misfortune of driving through it once. The outskirts looks like a nuclear wasteland. An absolute dive.
    2. Clara - a kip. Full of derelict industrial buildings. Nothing in it only takeaways, barbershops and chemists.
    3. Cloghan - a decrepit wasteland with the longest wait time ever at any set of traffic lights.
    4. Kilcormac - Has a depressing aura about out - the town itself looks like its still stuck in the 80's.
    5. Ferbane - derelict shopfronts and closed down pubs add a depressing feel to the place - similar to Kilcormac.

Interested in other people's thoughts on their own county.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Tulsk. Everytime I travel through it I think "Thank god I don't live here".

It could actually be a lovely place to live but it's so depressing to drive through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Agreed. Have passed through it a few times en-route to Sligo - gives the impression of some backwater mid western American town with tumbleweed blowing across the streets.....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adgib

Agree on Edenderry,kip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Many rural towns in Limerick are dangerous & lawless ran by crime groups which makes them depressing for the law abiding.

Askeaton

Abbeyfeale

Rathkeale

Kilmallock

Newcastle West

All these towns have something in common but your not allowed mention it just let them all get worse year on year .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Carrigstown in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

Termonfeckin.

I spent a week there one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Borris o Kane

ballinasloe

boyle

Granard

monastarevin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's not a person, its not some Russian immigrant called Boris O'Kane.

Killimor, Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Longford town - had the misfortune to visit it a few years back, fancied a bit of lunch, nothing but takeaways, pubs & bookies open.

Post edited by McGrath5 on

• Advertisement

Boyle - 100% a shithole stuck in a 1970's time warp.

Throw Edgeworthstown, Ballymahon and Keenagh into the mix there also....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There will be some point if this thread goes on long enough where every town in Ireland is mentioned. But the correct answer is Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

To me its always just a staggered cross roads on the way to Sligo. I think I'd have to take a left to venture into the actual village, which I've never done.

What a kip - only has one pub "McCoys" and is full of moaners from what i've heard.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Wasn't there one of these threads recently?

Dublin Town for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

@Longford - throw scumbag pikey cúnts into the mix an' all :mad:

could live with the 'depressing' aspect - getting accosted regular another thing entirely

less folks going to that town on account of the feral savages - adds to the depressing aspect, tbs

#anyonewhatknowstownwon'tdisagree

#notallTravelers - goes without saying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tipperary Town or Charleville

Similar in a sense of it’s never ever quick to get through, the road is always in a state itself, and it’s full of closed down shops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Towns that look like they have barely changed since the 1950s, gloomy 3 storey buildings towering over a main street with cars abandoned everywhere or, alternatively very few cars as there is no life in the place.

Granard

Ballybay

Clones

Bailieborough

Roscommon town

Manorhamilton

Ballintra (Donegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Longford Town - Scary horrible place

Edgeworthstown - Just a dump of a town

Dublin City Center is in with a shot at the title too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭lmk123

Newmarket & Buttevant Co. Cork. You’d be in tears going through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Athy

Daingean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

I've lived in a few of the towns mentioned but I have to say the most depressing place in Ireland is Dublin, and I've lived in some of the supposedly nice parts. It's just a congested time sump that's best viewed while passing on the M50. At least with the smaller towns there's somewhere interesting a short drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Ballyhaunis (co Mayo)

Strokestown (co Roscommon)

Ballinlough (co Roscommon)

• Ardee. Useless f**king place that's always clogged up with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Can't believe Portarlington hasn't been mentioned yet. Mountmellick in Laois another utter scum hole.

The roads around Edenderry are something you'd see in deepest Mongolia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Portarlington: Really dragged out town seems to be no end to it and no centre to it.

Edenderry: Just one street that is about 5 miles long, goes on forever, the whole town square is depressing , the old cinema still empty, tesco still empty although at least they knocked the building down now.

Derrinturn: Mainly for the smell from the mushroom factory.

Coill Dubh: If it even counts as a town or village, seems stuck in a 1950's time warp, like it's cut off from the rest of civilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I got a batter burger in a chipper in Boyle once that had cheese as well as the burger inside the batter. It was feckin gorgeous so for that I'll absolve them from their sins.

Oh wait, that chipper was in Moate, not Boyle. Absolution cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Westport - Price of food and drink would depress you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

I've seen similar comments before about Longford, and fair enough there is more than its own share of problems about, especially from a certain group within the town, but I can't fathom the food comment.

Screenshotting a simple Google maps search of cafes in the town centre and this is your result. One of the options showing below is a fast food joint, but saying there's no options for lunch is absurd.

Advertisement