Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

Not only that but commercial rents would be far higher than domestic rents, so the decision to convert to residential would in itself significantly reduce the book value of the building. At least this is the case in the US, would imagine our cities would be similar

Far better in my opinion to convert the older buildings in the city centre to residential as in many cases this is what they originally were

All the above totally aside. If you do insist the government control lending limits in some sort of shadowhand way and do so purely to increase house prices - then why on earth would they preside over some of the most stringent lending limits in a first world country

Correct me if I'm wrong but the mortgage controls were a product of the ECB/IMF bailout to help prevent a recurrence of the 08 crash.

Many here were a little distraught when AJ Chopra left as they knew what government would be doing without the strict oversight of the IMF

Gov have been trying to get around them since there inception

Probably a lot to do with the economy of the 80's, many young men and women were leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Couple of big office buildings near my office have been totally empty since 2020. They are now starting to fill back up.

We are also gone from 1 day a week in the office to 2 days. We got an email from the company to say going to 3 days in October and 4 days in January.

Dont know if other companies will do the same, but office buildings are starting to get used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭DataDude

They came in 2014 or 15 and yes of course linked to the lessons learned from the previous crisis. But can’t have it both ways

• When strict lending rules are introduced, it’s separate from government. Nothing to do with them

• When they are loosened - lending rules are set by the government.

The governments motives are fairly clear. Get as many people owning homes as possible as homeowners typically vote for them. I strongly disagree with many of their schemes (in particular shared equity). The HTB has its drawbacks but overall is a sensible force for good in my opinion. The idea that they are just trying to inflate house prices for the sake of it is preposterous and is clearly costing them votes and likely their jobs.

eg. Just today. Leo clearly balancing the desire to get people homes and out of rent traps while remaining conscious of not having unintended inflationary impacts on prices. https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/housing-planning/2023/06/20/taoiseach-disinclined-to-extend-help-to-buy-scheme-to-second-hand-homes/

• Advertisement

People wishing a recession are harmless to the economy, those that are putting the economy in the worst possible position when the inevitable recession arrives are the problem.

When the US govener of the central bank stated that households and businesses will experience pain from there actions, do you think they are doing such things out of necessity or for a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I’m specifically talking about married women and the fact that most were not in the workplace in the early/mid 80’s and this was one of the reasons why it was possible to buy on one salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Nermal

You're being a bit naive. Overt conspiracy involving Godfather-style intimidation or secret meetings is not necessary in order for 'independent' quangos to somehow mysteriously align their actions with government objectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭DataDude

Again, why would the all powerful, house prices crazed government allow a decade (and still the case) of very stringent lending rules by international standards?

Secondly, ‘quangos’ is typically reserved for people who are suckling on the teet of government and are on some sort of golden ticket which they are terrified to lose.

The vast majority of senior Central Bankers are incredible professionals earning pennies on the euro purely to gain some experience before they move onto massive roles in the private sector a few years later, often abroad.

Many will go on to international private sector banks or insurers earning more in a month than any politician does in a year. It’s a serious stretch to think they would compromise their professionalism just to hold onto their fairly crappy paying jobs.

The clear government motives you describe are exactly what happened during the celtic tiger

Lobbying was also identified as a key contributer to the 08 crash. The change in rules has got the lobbyists finger prints all over it as well as our entire housing policy. This policy is a governance failure, highly inflationary and ultimately gets us further away from what you feel is governments objective of getting as many as possible in there own homes.

This leave the country highly vulnerable to an economic shock. I'm pretty sure those in power are intelligent enough to understand that.

Slightly different path, same outcomes, I fear

• Advertisement

The issue with central bank prior to ‘08 was that they were not questioning the risks within the banking sector and were relying on whatever returns were made by the banks and taking it on face value. (I.e. asleep at the wheel)

That has all changed to the point where they are now one of the hardest regulators to deal with as they question everything. They definitely ask more questions than other European regulators when it comes to banks.

The other point to note is that they issued a discussion paper on LTI and the message that was received loud and clear from the public was that FTB’s were being locked out of buying because of LTI rules despite demonstrating that they had the ability to repay by paying rent that was much higher than mortgage repayments. This wasn’t a case of the government telling them what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Made an enquiry on a 3 bed house in Raheny, asking price €625k, current bid is €748k. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

So just to be clear, you're completely ignoring the well documented history of the CBI being influenced by the Irish government within recent years that I mentioned in my post?

Because its not remotely a conspiracy theory, much like in our previous discussion you really should educate yourself on economics before making such absolutist statements. The Wikipedia article (of all things) on the CBI has a good introduction to the issue for you with plenty of sources:

[quote]In 2016, several Irish bank CEOs testified to being asked by senior officials of the Central Bank during 2007–2011 to follow a "green jersey agenda" in obfuscating the facts of Ireland's deteriorating banking system.[57][58][59][60] After the 2011–bailout by the EU–ECB–IMF (e.g. the European troika) of the Irish banking system, a number of non–Irish senior executives were placed in the Central Bank of Ireland, including the Board of the Bank. However, by 2017, almost all these non–Irish executives had departed the Central Bank, and some have publicised concerns about the Central Bank's tendency to push aside risk-management in pursuit of political and Government objectives.[/quote]

The Irish state was forced to implement relatively low LTI ratios after the crash, it wasn't something either of FF or FG willingly wanted to do. They were, as Villa05 linked, lobbying to increase them as soon as feasibly possible in the years afterwards. If given another 5 years in power you can bet they'll be increased again to prop up house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Certainly regulations are a convenient excuse, for a government that wants to keep house prices high, by restricting market supply.

It is the government that comes up with these regulations and when it suits the government, regulations are frequently dispenced with.

As to the cost of converting offices to appartments, I think there are a lot of people paying rent who would be delighted to start buying unused offices as their new home and who would make any adjustments they perceive are necessary at bare minimum expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realitykeeper has been reminded that they were threadbanned many months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Whereabouts in Raheny? Few houses have sat there for months. Please tell me it is not Avondale Park.. No house in that end is worth anything even 650k.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Absolutely madness. In that estate alone three houses took ages to shift last year and they were looking for around 475k (bare in mind all walking in, maybe not like the no. 10 but still good condition). This no 10 was sold in 2020 for 370k, obviously done up since but no way a mark up of 255k. Also a mid terrace.

I doubt anyone will pay 748k for that house. If they find that fool, he needs his head examined. Good luck to him.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

Same happened on a newish build in South Dublin. €150k over identical house sold February 2023.

bit then other stuff isn’t as crazy.

If one salary on a 3x multiple was sufficient for a median earner to buy a house in the 80's at high double digit rates, one would expect no issues with an 8x multiple now with rates just coming off a record floor.

One seriously has to ask who is capturing all that wealth with little or no input cost, just watch that land continually increase from the work of others. You can even leave property fall into ruin and profit from it.

It's a market that seriously needs some balance

• Advertisement

Couple of points

Banks and finance houses are always one step ahead of regulators. The regulators are fighting the last war, while the banks have moved to a new battlefield.

Central banks have been predominantly the cause of the current issues with zero/negative rates for far too long topped up with unprecedented money printing. Who's regulating the regulator. Is it a coincidence that the heads of central banks are drawn from the large finance houses? Have we put the foxes in charge of the hen house?

As for discussion papers, what outcome did one expect from renters trapped paying extortionate rents.

The central banks job is to weigh up the risk of raising mortgage multiples against the back drop of increasing rates. Discussion papers look like a mechanism to absolve accountability and shift the blame to the victims if it all goes wrong, ala, Enda Kenny "we all went mad" at Davos when speaking to the great and the good, many of whom were responsible for or profited from the GFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭wassie

I think your last point Villa05 is really valid WRT land being a non-productive asset that is given preferential treatment Ireland.

As to the affordabillity issue across the generations, lots of interesting points in this article (apologies if it has been posted before) from Feb last year that drills down into the stats and demographics.

The age at which a majority of Irish households owned their own home was just 26 at the start of the 1990s. By 2016, it has risen by a full decade to 35. Even more shocking, the CSO data show that, in 1991, the age at which two-thirds of Irish households were homeowners was just 28, versus 41 today – a 13 year difference!

and

So, to come back to the original question posed at the start of this article – whether housing really is less affordable now than in the past – it is fair to say that, caveats aside, based on what has been shown above, the simple answer is yes.

and

To summarise, housing affordability is clearly an issue that impacts on a meaningful part of the Irish population today, with young people and private renters on lower incomes particularly impacted. While we may want to nit-pick on the figures, it is safe to say that the current generation is struggling to an extent that was not the case for their parents, the majority of whom were able to become homeowners in their mid-20s.

No one is arguing that house are more unaffordable today….All I was pointing out is that you need to look at the context of why 1 salary was used to buy a house in the 80’s (I.e. most households only had one salary coming in and it wasn’t an option in a lot of cases to have two because married women were not in the workforce)

as for land I have expressed my views on here many times and think that when land gets rezoned any gain should be taxed at 80% and it should be accompanied by a use of or loose it approach whereby if the land isn’t used it gets rezoned back to farm land and it looses its value from it being development land.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What farmer is going to sell their family land if gains are going to be taxed at 80%?

Why should someone benefit from land being rezoned. 80% tax still compensates the farmer as a million gain on re zoning would still equate to 200k. The tax should be then used to provide infrastructure to the site and surrounding area.

Plus in a lot of cases the farmer has already sold to a developer who is just sitting on it and included in its land bank

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

Ive been noticing that a few nice design features, such as a feature wall or a clean garden design such as that one has, can fetch sellers a small fortune in the extra on the house price. Plenty of buyers are lazy and don't want the minimal effort it would take to do something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

Land values in Ireland are 20% of property prices in Ireland.

over in reddit there are people getting quited 4-5k per sqm build costs for one-off newbuild in Dublin. That’s the real price driver.

building the house will be 500k + vat and council charges.

final house 850k-900k and “land value” is 35%.

and that is a desirable super central area. Go anywhere else in ireland and land value is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

I was approached last year by someone looking to buy my business n the property it's on. I told them the figure I wanted to clear after Capital gains taxes etc. You put a rezone tax on the price of land n it just goes up that much. Just adding another x amount to each house.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

If it is coupled with a vacant site tax on the land it could get expensive quite quickly just putting the price up.

• Advertisement

Advertisement