Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi e-tron

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

So was on to AUDI about pass key they were really helpfull just have to wait for the logbook to arrive and they can bypass the system.

Still trying to navigate around the car system,Lad in work had a spin and he just thought the car unreal great build and fast .

So the dealer put four new tyres on the car and I asked about the jack not being in the Frunk, Seemingly no E Trons or ID 4 have a jack or spare wheel.

As I was asking the fleet engineer in work about it he had to source spare wheels and a jack. For company cars and the can of gunk is more or less useless as it destroys the tyred which are €350 plus a tyre .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭creedp

If its useless for a company car it's even worse for the private motorist who can't write it off as an expense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭joe1303l

The Gunk doesn’t destroy any tyre and the tyre fitter just needs to clean out the carcass of the tyre to fix the puncture. Obviously if you’re a lazy sod, it easier to condemn the tyre and fit a new one. If it’s a company car, the driver won’t care and will go along with it. Of course if the puncture is on the sidewall or the gash is too big to plug, it’s a new tyre anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Opened this thread a few pages back and saw some complaints about efficiency but doing 130kph. Same as the BMW i4 thread.

I don't get it...

We all know range drops off at 120kph, maybe don't get a thirsty EV if you can't sit at the speed limit lol.

• Advertisement

Quick question the bag that comes with the car with all the fifferent type chargers, Would I get away with leaving it in the shed and use the storage space for other things. I have the normal charger stored in the frunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yeah just keep the normal cable in the car for public chargers that don't have their own if you come across one of them. Don't lug the 3 pin one around with you if you want the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

only bring it if you need to charge at a 3 pin plug somewhere.

I wouldn’t bother, a granny charger won’t do much for an e-Tron considering the size of the battery to be filled.

You say that but I've used it when on family holidays, if you plug it in every night it helps if no other access to charging

• Advertisement

Yep I know someone with a 77kwh battery and very low mileage and only uses 3 pin. Gets about 1.7kwh per hour he reckons and it does him. Car is only used on short commute and plugged in for days on end sometimes. Extreme example

It's not really though?

I used a granny charger for 6 hours, 4 days on a row for several weeks at work plugging into a portakabin. Plug didn't even get warm. The charger (Hyundai brand) has variable power settings and would reduce them automatically if needed as far as I know.

They're plugs made for household sockets, they draw a similar continuous power to a heater. I doubt they're drawing any mad apps/voltages either (I'm not an electrician, just guessing the house fire would be caused by something other than 2kW consumption)

Irish/UK style Domestic 3 pin sockets can’t cope with such a load for continuous periods. Good quality branded sockets such as MK will fare slightly better than cheap stuff. A granny charger is meant for occasional short term use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sure thats rubbish. They are rated for 13A, drawing 10A continuous is below the peak rating of the socket. My air conditioner is running about 12-18 hours a day at the moment (on solar so its free to run!) and it draws 2-3kW for hours by design. If you were pulling 13A continuous then I'd agree but you're not, you're pulling 10A on a 13A rated plug and socket, which - the socket - is likely on a 20A circuit.

Years ago when I was in a rented house I used a granny cable every night for over a year and 60k km without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I charged my EV from the 3 pin charger nightly until I got a proper one installed.

Doing about 25k km per year and used it for over a year to charge the car. Like ELM327 it was never an issue.

I never seen anything in the 3 pin charger document to say not to do it.

Trust me, I used a granny charger for 3-4 months most nights for 8-10hrs while waiting to get a Zappi installed. After about 10 weeks, noticed the outdoor socket had melted close to one of the pins. Changed it out for an MK one on the advice of an electrician and minimised my usage. He wouldn’t recommend long term use and suggested I get the Zappi in a.s.a.p.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thats a bad install not an indication that granny chargers arent safe. Any high load needs to be monitored to make sure there's no flaws in the wiring. I have had dishwaser and washing machines do the same and both times it was bad sockets not bad appliacnces.

Can’t agree, entire house was rewired and tested to RECI standards only 8 years before. Outdoor socket that melted also fitted at that time on a separate ring circuit. I can’t advise further other than recommend you fit a proper Type 2 Wallbox if you plan to charge at home.

Houses go on fire all the time, has there been an example of an EV causing a fire?

• Advertisement

There is a base assumption there that no mistakes were made, a 10A load should not melt a 13A socket but if the termination of the wiring was a lose it will though. Same for your type 2.

This indicates poor quality products and false advertising. If a socket is rated for 13amp then it should deliver 10amp without issue all day everyday. Not fit for purpose otherwise.

The comments on that are the same as here, poor quality or bad workmanship.

Plus forum posts attract the negative. How many thousands of EV owners aren't posting that their granny charger didn't burn their house down?

I don't doubt there are horror stories but as I said earlier these relate predominantly to sub standard products. However forearmed with this knowledge people need to be careful trusting a 13amp socket can actually safely deliver the 10amp required to run a granny charger. Might be worthwhile replacing the std issue socket with a high quality brand if it is intended to use it long term with a granny charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

A quality 13A socket/plug will work away fine for many many years pulling 10A and people have done that without issue.

The issue with long term use of a granny cable is that your average Joe isn't clued in enough to know/check whether they have a quality 13A socket or go to the bother of regularly checking that the granny cable isn't getting hot. Just because it worked today for 8hrs of charging doesn't mean it wont start overheating tomorrow.... and that's the real problem.

As you use the socket over time and you keep plugging the granny cable in/out it will wear the contacts and if its an already worn or cheap socket it can then result in a bad contact and arc'ing etc will happen and then the horror stories come from there. So, it is a risk. As long as you are aware of it then that's your call.

So, granny charging will work fine until it doesn't and that's why a proper charge point is recommended as its designed for long term outdoor use. A granny cable is not designed for long term use. Just because people have used it long term without problems doesn't mean its not a tangible risk, so you have to make up your own mind with that risk assessment.... similar to how some people dont like the idea of putting on appliances during the cheaper night rate electricity due to fire risk and others dont care about that risk.

I've used a granny cable for months and I use appliances at night and I'm comfortable with that choice but I wouldn't use a granny cable for years on end. If you really are using it for years on end why not just get the proper charge point and reduce your risk and get the benefit of the faster charging as well.

I guess the electrical upgrade costs would be one of the reasons why people revert to the granny cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

My e-tron 55 is at the dealership and is being charged. It’s only pulling 39.7 kW on DC. Why is this?

what speed DC charger is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

My bad. 50kw. 🫣🤦‍♂️

Post edited by notahappycamper on

Advertisement