Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

True but the reason for that could be as simple as anyone who had the ability Trent has wasn't wasted at their clubs playing RB. For example I'm sure had Gerrard started his senior career at RB like Trent did I'm sure he would have bossed games from there too but anyone who managed Gerrard knew that would be a waste of his talents and that he should be further up the field to get the most from him. The same could be said about alot of players including our own Fabinho who played alot of his early career at RB himself.

Moving Trent to midfield has been talked about on and off basically since his debut at RB and tbh I was never really for it before for alot of the same reasons you outlined in your post but I'm beginning to wonder if we are wasting his talents a little while simultaneously exposing ourselves down that side of the pitch while defending. I think we are. And as far as timing goes I think this is the perfect time to try it out full time. We are in dire need of midfielders right now as opposed to pretty much anytime since Trent debuted for us (Except last season of course).

But also at the same time teams have shown signs of having figured us out and our tactics need a tweak. What better tweak to make than to move our most creative player from RB where you only need to worry about him coming from one side to midfield where now all of a sudden you need to worry about his passing coming from everywhere on the pitch and every type of pass as opposed to mainly just crosses. He can do it all, sharp fast through balls, dinked through balls and everything else but also he is our best goal threat in and around the box by miles, outside of our front 3.

It just seems to make so much sense on so many levels to try it, and to try it now. I think it's a no brainer tbh, and just to clarify I'm not talking about this hybrid role BS. I'm talking we get a new RB and play Trent in midfield full time but obviously he could revert to RB here and there if our new RB needs a rest or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree, much easier to find a full back, who can make us defensively more solid, than getting a midfielder who can cover RB while Trent is gone forward. Moving Trent to midfield is probably overall the best solution to getting the most out of Trent and at the same time better all around for the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No 12.00 Saturday games for us scheduled so far for next season.

Edit: not sure if it was pointed out when they were released last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well only one set of TV fixtures has been announced and 6 weeks of the first half of the season Liverpool can't play on a Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Deals are as dodgy as fvck, the Saudis/PIF on both sides of those deals, as buyers and as owners of a decent cut of Chelsea through the Clearlake front.

I've said it for several years, there is huge corruption, money laundering and illicit moving of money across borders in the Soccer transfer market. It's the sort of thing that eventually the FBI or some similar authority will eventually get pi55ed off with for some political reason (like FIFA corruption/Lance Armstrong/ the Kinehan cartel) and shut a lot of it down. UEFA have zero power and have been cowed by the likes of City, they are happy to take the bribes, I mean 'fines' and leave the status quo to be.

FSG were so nieve to think that FFP would be enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The other aspect to the Trent thing is what he wants himself - after being lauded for his midfield performances for us, and now starting and impressing for England in midfield too, it might be hard to send him back to right back. I'd guess that now he's tasted being the main man in the middle, that he'll be pushing to stay there. Of course player's should play where they're told, but I'm not sure we'll get his peak performances if he's out there wishing he was playing in the middle.

Similar to the art world, which has long been used for money laundering where pieces go for hugely inflated ridiculous prices, football has gone the same way in the last few years, with fairly average players going for 30- 40 million. It's beyond ridiculous at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

it's not middle middle though, it's more right midfield cutting in and he can do that from his 'RB' position.

I think it's less about the position itself, and more about perception and appreciation. He's a fella who's spent his whole career being criticized and blamed for issues specific to right back - for not tracking, or being out of position etc. He's gotten plenty of plaudits for his RB work going forward, but that has always come hand in hand with these critiques.

Officially being down as a midfielder cuts away so much of the blame he gets for whatever goes wrong in defence. It's also just a fact that midfielders are more respected and revered and valued than right backs. I would guess that now that he's shifted more into midfield - the position he played for his whole life until joining the senior team, and the thing he'd always have considered himself to be - and has been getting so much appreciation for his performances there, it might be hard to push him out to the periphery again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

For example I'm sure had Gerrard started his senior career at RB like Trent did I'm sure he would have bossed games from there too but anyone who managed Gerrard knew that would be a waste of his talents and that he should be further up the field to get the most from him.

Gerrard played at right back a few times in his debut season. He was a loose canon though and wanted to be in the thick of the action chasing the ball around the pitch. Houllier hooked him at half time a couple of times because of his lack of discipline to follow his instructions.

To his credit, Alexander-Arnold tried to do what the manager asked of him when introduced to the first team action.

Any idea when the TV fixtures are out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

This is for last season, but gives a rough idea. They were always late though

5th July for August/Sept

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2647056

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Our midfield three gets plenty of blame for our defensiveness weakensss at time though.

Its not hard to see him getting his share of the blame if he defends and tackles in midfield like he did at RB.

I must say though, and it's a small sample size, he seemed to be getting his foot in a bit more when playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

So last season when he played in the middle, that was when we had the ball right? Then when we didn't have the ball he went back to RB?

Was that the same with england or was it like Lahm/kimmich where there is a separate RB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Kante gone from Chelsea, at least they can't take him off the treatment table to have his usual great game(s) against LFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Talk is our move for Thuram will wait until after the U21 Euros. Wise I suppose, in case he gets injured, but a risk considering it could mean his price goes up. Assuming it's true of course, and even so, it could be no offers are being considered by Nice until he's in the shop window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Slow news on transfer watch.

Switching over to:

If the midfielders do their jobs properly they won't get criticism, but, if they stand around like statues, letting the opposition midfield run at our defence then of course they'll get criticism. No player is above criticism regardless how talented they are, if they're not putting in a proper shift or constantly making poor decisions then they deserve criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

you can make some educated guesses that Liverpool will play on the Sunday of each Europa League game. Maybe a Monday night game for one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m a simple man. If I see a panda or breakfast post, I thanks it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Pandas for breakfast you say? I've never tried one but given they're near extinction they must be tasty?

Yeah for England he just played as a regular midfielder, beside Rice and Hendo. Walker played RB in one of the games, Trippier in the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The Barella links are back this evening, apparently he’s “too expensive” for Newcastle so now we’re coming back in for him. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Newcastle have apparently agreed a €70m fee with AC for Tonali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Thought Klopp wanted business complete by pre-season? Or maybe it is complete :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Liverpool dont need him, but would love to see them sign havertz. Shame he seems to be going to Arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Could be waiting for the U21 competition to finish?

Some links with Veiga. Who looks very capable. And a guy Varela from Boca

If FSG are unable to keep the club competitive, perhaps it might be a good idea to spend/gamble a bit more on, what I'm coining, "Talented Flight Risks"

There are players that are full of potential but are likely not going to stick around when Madrid or Barcelona come calling. We can sell for a decent amount and re-invest.

This might have been the plan all along but the prices have gone insane so we cannot even afford to buy these players. It's a massive disappointment really

I prefer to have Gakpo tbh.

Havertz looked destined to be Firmino-like while at Leverkusen, but Chelsea have ruined him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Klopp may have wanted that buy the reality of getting all summer transfers across the line by then is very slim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I took a panda out for breakfast and left him with the bill

We're either back to doing all our best business behind closed doors or we're doing sweet FA on transfers.

Pre-season starting in 16 days so hopefully news picks up over that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anything new happen since I left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

There's a massive new roof and we signed some lad from Donabate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Gonna watch this now

Edit. The first goal on this from Stevie against United i was at that match - brilliant game

No harm if Carvlho goes to Leipzig on loan. They don't have a great record with developing young players from PL clubs but him having a lot of minutes there in a good environment / league is a good thing, coupled with expanding the good relation with Leipzig / RB group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Has anyone ever tried getting a jersey signed by the team or know is it possible, even heard the process of getting one done

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Unless Nunez kills it next season our Summer 22 business is looking a total flop.

I hope we see Carvalho back again, but I'm not convinced we will

Nunez was really the only signing we made; I always felt the club spun the Ramsey and Carvalho signings into bigger signings than they were, to try to deflect from not signing any midfielders, in essence they were always going to be fringe players at best, bought for the future. Ramsey was never going to displace TAA, and Carvalho wasn't going to get ahead of any of the forward players when they were fit, plus he's not really suited to our midfield. The Artur loan signing was farcical from beginning to end.

Nunez still might come good and his first season while not great wasn't that bad either when you consider he had to move to a new country and learn a new language, settle into the club and a new league at a higher level, plus on top of all that the team were in dire form. Next season is the season we can judge him better, he'll have no excuse not to perform as he should have settled at the club, learnt the language and adjusted to the league. Certainly last summer was a missed opportunity to strengthen the squad properly, we paid and are still paying a heavy price for that.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

Rafa off to Celta Vigo

We are linked with Gabri Veiga so perhaps Rafa can put in a good word.

• Advertisement

The second coming of Rodgers at Celtic confirmed today, too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Thuram off to Inter.

Our owners are going to sink in this market.

That’s the other Thuram I think, his striker brother Marcus. Still some hope for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Isn't the thuram LFC are linked too only 22. Is he that good at that age to come into the premier league and dominate? He'd improve the LFC midfield but that wouldn't be hard in fairness lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement