Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

More likely the parts will be shipped to a convenient port where a crane can do the final assembly and then that is towed out rather than towing fully assembled turbine half way around ireland/europe (depending where turbine/blades/etc are constructed)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That makes more sense. T'would be great to see some of these monsters in Ireland.

Still don't know if they are designed for our kind of wind speeds. For all I know, we might have TOO much wind for their design.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They are designed for typhoon wind speeds that this country has never seen (as in well over 200km/h winds)

Yup with you there....although that's a little different - that's more around structural strength as in what they will withstand in a storm. In a typhoon they would feather the blades and they wouldn't be turning, unless they are insane :-)

No, my question was more around the aerofoils themselves. They are often designed for different average wind speeds. You might have an aerofoil which will deliver optimal efficiency at a specific windspeed, and while a higher wind speed may generate more power counter-intuitively it might not be doing it as efficiently. Ideally you want a variable patch blade, one that would start with low m/s and work through all ranges. But it complicates things and makes the gearing heavy. So I think most of them are fixed, and if you have to fix the blade's "angle-of-attack" they might fix that for a different speed than it optimal for us. I know a little about this from airplane prop engines which effectively do the same thing (in reverse of course - turning rotational torque into lift/trust) Maybe they have 2-3 different blades , and they sell you the ones that you need based on your circumstances. dunno.

Variable speed wind turbine - Wikipedia

Not sure those behemoths have variable pitch blades. (I tried looking it up, but couldn't find an answer)

In any case, maybe it's the Don Quixote in me, but I'd love to see one of them up close. Fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭paulbok

Definitely will be of interest to many if they produce a patio awning version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Finally lined up an EV. Yep an older generation leaf.. no need or possibility even for a big pcp extravaganza.. It will do fine for most of our journeys. Really like how reliable they are. Going for the top spec and our cars are old so it will be a big step forward for us.

Will be granny charging for now and looking at options. Perhaps Zappi early next year. But with our mileage its hard to justify. Sourcing one and getting an electrician to fit is what I'd hope for. more like 1200 than 1600.

A different granny charger which could charge at say 6A would be more appealing in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

I’m about 1 year ahead of you with our 2nd hand Leaf too. Our first EV and only car we have, and we’ll never get an ICE car again.

You get a €600 grant on charger. Granny charger runs ~2kW – can’t remember but close to that. I’d suggest charge it to full each day (or night) as the charger is so slow. Leaf has a small battery so best it’s full at the start until you get used to the range.

We got a Zappi maybe 2 months after we got the car. Any granny charger (irrespective of the speed) is a pain day after day I found. Lead is short and costs something mad like €200 to buy a replacement one with a longer 10m lead (so don’t need an extension lead too). But you’ve time to decide what to do. I read there is more electrical risk too as they are not designed for everyday use.

I put the extension cable to the granny charger in a waterproof box and ran power from the shed (as was too short without it). Granny charger itself is waterproof but a very short lead. Box and plugs got very hot even when the weather wasn’t hot – sealed so heat can’t easily escape. And extension reel was rolled out fully so wouldn’t cook. I live in Dublin so wouldn’t be leaving windows open on the ground floor for a cable to hang out of it for X hours a day during charging.

Another option is if you’ve a smart meter, get a cheap EV night rate and then ‘sell’ FIT. So just need any entry level charger, not a Zappi. Benefit reduces if FIT drops in time and nightrate increases of course. Plus you pay the dreaded peak TOU rates. Like me, I don’t think you have a battery.

Btw, what I read at the time was to let the Leaf charge get low once (like 10-20% or so). Then charge to 100% and the SOC can improrve when it ‘remembers’ what 100% of the battery is. And suggestion was to do that every one in a while. Also look at the % charged and not the GOM (guess-o-meter). Then you can tell your available mileage from the % charged once you start to suss out the % you use for mileage. So you’ve an idea of juice, we use ~1800kWh for ~15km a year. Pretty much a steady 150kWh a month. Little more in winter when using the heater a lot. Seems to use a little more battery when it’s cold, maybe more electrical losses – just a hunch. That’s ‘driving miss daisy’ stuff around Dublin.  

You can soon pick up early generation zappis as people are selling them to upgrade to newer versions. There is a problem between newer myenergi hardware and older zappis and myenergi are offering far below market value upgrades. So wait for that

Then you could pick up a zappi, pay an electrician €250 and get the whole install done for around the grant value, so for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thanks both, deposit down on it this evening, delighted.

Yeah the cable run for granny charger won't be huge deal as have an outside socket. Mileage won't be huge but will keep it near full for first little while.

600 grant yup but I don't fancy another 800 on top. That sounds interesting unkel.. presume there are threads on ev forum about that.

Yeah if you just look at the zappi thread here in this forum and go a couple pages back, you'll see it. In the UK people in above situation are offered a brand new zappi V2 for GBP350 incl. VAT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

In the UK people in above situation are offered a brand new zappi V2 for GBP350 incl. VAT!

NOTE: Not everyone will be offered that v1 to v2 cheap upgrade, just in case peoples hopes are being raised here but there should be some v1's coming online for sale alright as a result.

I was hoping to do that myself but got rebuffed by myEnergi as I dont have other myEnergi products. This is what they told me

"As to the upgrade offer, this is only available to people who have other myenergi products in their setup (zappi2, Eddi or Libbi) and the compatibility will affect their connectivity."

I dont know if you can bluff that and just tell them you have an Eddi that you bought after market, or if they'll request proof etc but it seem the offer is only going to those who MyEnergi know have multiple products.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

I expect you'd need to send unique product IDs, other option is hope it breaks during warranty! Got my zappi replaced with new internet enabled model when it was faulty 😀

They can see what is linked I expect. The website portal shows my Zappi and serial number and all the data that sends back and forth.

So they could see another device was never linked I would expect.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Happy solstice everyone. Winter is coming now.

About 20 houses on our road in D12, including mine, came within a whiskers of being flooded the other day after the flash floods. We got a wild amount of rain in maybe 20mins and nothing to soak it up. Road just became like a river, and it filled, and filled. Dry ground can't absorb water quickly as it's pretty solid. Blessed it didn't rain a 2nd time or we were gonners. Neighbour was draining water from inside his car.

Tbh it was scary in that I was helpless to do anything. Called Council emergency drainage number, but apart from that I could only watch it. Not helped by Council not longer actively cleaning drains as they did in the past. Means they can handle less volume.

Last time it was that close was maybe 3 years ago. We're in a large housing estate that's 80 years old. It's a recent problem afaik. Happened that bad maybe 3 times in 20 years I'm living here, but all in the last 6 or so years.

Weather unpredictability is becoming the new predictability sadly. I'm not saying poor me, simply pointing out that change is sadly coming. And we're in a country where we're less impacted by that change.

Couple of years back ....

Watch: The Heavy Rain Is After Wreaking Absolute Havoc In Dundrum | Balls.ie

Happened back in 2007/2008 too - and your right mate that rain we had last week was nuts. Similar to you, the road I'm on in D16 does suffer from very very rare flooding. The moron who designed the drainage system back in the late 80's decided to put in a right angled bend in the sewer pipe. I'm not great with fluid dynamics but even I know right angles + pluming are to be avoided.

When it started, I stopped work and started to look out the window at it with....."interest" shall we say. :-(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Flash flooding from torrential rain is very hard to counter, even if you have huge drains there's nowhere for it to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,232 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Often when I'm walking home I curse the idea that I bought a house near the top of a hill. But when I'm watching the river of water flowing down the road away from the house then I'm a lot happier with my decision

What's the deal with DLRCC council not cleaning drains? Fingal seem to have the truck out several times a year checking all the storm water drains are clear

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Real bad vibrations from sitting next to propeller (bad focus) but you can just make out the solar farms whiltst ascending from Dublin airport

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Hi unkel...are you able to elaborate on the issue between older zappi's and new myenergi hardware? i have a second hand zappi lined up over here in england which i think would be ideal for my gaf in ireland. i haven't one yet but i'm also thinking of picking up a second hand hub and eddi. would be good to know what's compatible and what's not.

p.s. i note from myenergi's website that from september neither new zappi's nor new eddi's will no longer require a hub.

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Yes the older V1 zappi and the newer V2 eddi can't work together IF you install the latest firmware on the eddi. If you don't, they are fine. I have just paid myenergi £350 myself and they are sending me out a V2 zappi for that. Can't argue with that deal. I will be putting up my V1 zappi up for sale shortly, very cheap as it has just developed an error that it starts charging and immediately stops, I've seen control pilot error show up on the screen a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Has anyone bought kit from a distributor based in Tullow? Don't want to name names but the prices on their site are keen. They seem to be a fairly new operation with Dublin area number.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 11,232 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

More about undersea cables

It would be great to see high voltage cables across the Atlantic, buy and sell renewables between Europe and the US

Also I couldn't help but laugh at how Ireland got repeatedly deleted from the map. Must have been put together by the UK government 🙄

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Folks,

planning a project at home with a lean to. I saw somewhere about a sealed roof using panels with a kit of some kind.

does anyone have any links or anything?

thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Scheduled power cut in the estate today from 9am - 5pm..

Charged the battery up this morning from 7-9am (last 2 hours of night rate) to 81% (had been charging it to 50% the last week or so anyway as the weather has been so bad the last few days)....

Ran a lead down from the attic and split it off 3 ways powering her office (laptop & 2 screens), and my office, (laptop with 2 screens & a Mac Mini & a small TV) as well as all the peripherals that go with a home office..., and then a lead down to the sitting room to power the fibre modem..

9:20am - power goes, battery at 81%

10:27am - battery down to 76%

11:00am - battery is at 74%

So roughly using 4%-5% an hour means I'd have about 11 hours of this set up before the battery cuts out at 20%

(Have a camping kettle that I can boil on the gas hob for the tae.....)

Happy Days. And a win for having a battery!!

Nice one @AndyBoBandy

I wouldn't open the freezer at all until the power has been back on for several hours. I would also quickly eat the perishables from the fridge well before the use by date over the next few days as all of them will have been compromised after an 8 hour power cut. Except of course if you can run another extension cable to the attic to plug your fridge / freezer into

I take it you're not in Dublin then? I can't remember a power cut that lasted that long in the 23 years I live in this house. But I'm well ready for that situation myself with a very large home battery with a continuous 3kW output through the EPS socket while solar panels are still charging the battery, also have my eBike battery pack and a 48V inverter ready for a more mobile 1000W continuous solution and I can connect a 12V inverter to either of my EVs 12V battery, for another steady and pretty much unlimited 600W continous output

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah, I'm in North County Dublin, and these scheduled power cuts are quite common... at least 3-4 now over the last 2 years or so.... I think it's because of the new houses/estates that are popping up around us... (had an unscheduled power cut about 2 weeks ago for a few hours also!!)

As for the fridge, I keep a few bottles of water frozen in the freezer for use in cooler bags/boxes if/when we go out on the boat so I popped one of them (1.75L of Ice) into the fridge to help keep it chilled.... perishables will be going anyway this week as we are heading away for a few weeks holiday this weekend..

I could run another lead into the kitchen for the fridge if I wanted... but the doors will remain closed expect when I briefly grab the milk for a cup of tea... so I don't usually bother with it...

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

Advertisement