Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Is criticism of this "huge organisation with a good business infrastructure" not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Jack98

The ifa are a puppet at this stage…some of the higher up members in the past year on twitter when big issues were making mainstream headlines they were putting up posts condemning the issues. Would be more in their line to actually try and influence the outcomes of these issues.

Who can honestly say they remember the last time the ifa secured anything for the farmers on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Harsh ….IFA ha major flaws …still has but current president and vice president have been a huge step forward and brought credibility back to the organisation …..it’s a great pity Brian rushe isn’t running for head job ….but I understand his reasons why

Don’t mean to offend anyone but if rushe is as good as you say he is, could you name 2/3 issues which he has had a hand in addressing that has directly benefited farmers on the ground. As I myself and I’m sure many would also agree would be at a loss to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I think ifa need to get a decent pr person to combat falsehoods and anti farming lies in the media. iv said it before. I think Ciaran Fitzgerald would be a great performer and well able to stand his ground and defend his position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

2.5 litres of a lift per cow after going all maize as the buffer, where on beet/oat hulls/silage 1kg ration, never had maize left over for the summer before it would open your eyes to the feed value of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

The surprise is "press release" description of being pissed and disgusted that government should instruct teagasc to withold a paper containing information that would be benificial to farmers, prior to a new regulation being imposed.

This "instruction" would have bypassed the board of the organisation, but should be incumbant on the board to take the issue to task in a proper manner.

It was a sick move by government, in the full knkwledge of the financial impact relative to the gain, and will in essence work against the regulators pussing further obsceneties across the line.

Majority of the mebership would agree with you here. The day of the "farmer on the ground" being capable of commanding in such situtations is long past.

Certainly the person with "skin in the game" works for negotiations, but not necessarily for media.

Being trained not to get caught out with a question is not good enough to also being able get you point across in pursuasive terms.

Many on here are well able to get their point across though. Some here know everything and they know everyone else is wrong...about everything...

Incredible talent, when one considers they have never attended, partaken or are in the loop with such organisations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’ve been a member of the IFA since 2015 and have been involved in 2 national committees, as well as secretary of the county executive. My humble opinion is that the civil servant attitude in HQ is the issue. There’s plenty ideas and energy at county level and committee level but once above that, the shoulder shrugging and head nodding begins. To say farmers drive it is like saying TDs run the country - it’s the civil servants in Bluebell and in Govt who run the country.

I’ve heard it said for years now that IFA need a media professional but HQ says no every time. I called them amateur on Twitter and the vice-president said I was being unfair. But that’s exactly what HQ insist on - sending out non-professional speakers against pros like Gibbons.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Spot on with the amateur vs pro when it comes to PR or negotiations. All farmer organizations are like this…take Kerry co op board for example over the past few years in their takeover bid sending farmers elected to a board to negotiate with businessmen running multinationals with every degree under the rising sun.

Junior b hurlers being thrown into an all Ireland final beggars belief.

If you want to make things happen you have to invest in the personnel to do so.

On the media professional ….couldn’t agree more ….current president is a man I’d want in my corner fighting for anything farming related …..but he’s poor in front of a camera ….Brian rushe is very accomplished both as a speaker and what he dose on ground and ultimately would of made an excellent president but for understandable reasons he’s out of running

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Does the dairy committee in the IFA carry much weight?

As in, are they active and try to get stuff done, meeting processors, Dept, etc.? Or are they the same as the other committees and struggling to be heard and lacking support from HQ?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Farmers jump up and down screaming the minute they hear of someone being paid.

That because we’re programmed to believe labour and time isn’t valued from pm and national survey figures 😜😜😜😀😀😀

🤣🤣🤣Too true

in all seriousness tho these lads jumping up and down over IFA delegates pat or expenses or coop board member expenses pay etc have little appreciation of the time and commitment these roles entail ….these guys are mostly farmers first and whilst there away plans need to be in place to keEp things running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Anyone have slurry channels?

They could make sense for me but a narrow passage with a base 1.5m above the slatted tank floor strikes me as potential for s**t to harden after a month or two while the tank catches up to its level. I assume they've a decline towards the tank?

I suppose it'd make sense for them to be near agitation point the better?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone have cows go down with Johnes? Have two over the limit here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

About 10 years into testing here. Numbers getting lower each year. It's a fecker of a disease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but I've a channel that runs in front of 3 scraper tracks carrying slurry into a tank. It's about 1m x1m and runs level with lips before the drops to retain liquid. So its well up from the bottom the tank.

How do you manage it?

They're just over the 50 limit, vet reckons they'll be fine to keep in the herd. We've been good about not mixing colostrum to dairy calves and these two have only have had beef calves so I'm hoping that if it's just these two it can stop there

What age are they? Did you retest them?

3 & 4, I'll be doing a dung test. The older lady was just under the limit the last two years

Are they showing any symptoms?

delete

@Castlekeeper Yes we're talking about same thing. So with the channels being horizontal (no slope), the standing liquids should keep it moveable over time? My fear is if it hardened year after year in the channel before clogging after 10yrs for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Nothing like pulling 2 tankers of dirty water and letting them off together at the same time. That would give some flush to any channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

Christ on a bike I don't care what the vet reckons get rid of the two of them ASAP have you any idea of the scourge of a disease it is ......it would ruin your herd

Advertisement