Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart meter for solar feed-in on a 3 phase domestic dupply

• 26-08-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I've got a 3-phase domestic electricity supply with a digital meter as shown in the photo. I've also got solar panels.

Can anyone tell me if this is a smart meter, as required for getting €€€ for feed-in from my solar panels to the grid?

If it's not, are 3-phase smart meters available from ESB?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Sean,

I would think it is, but I am not sure. As your home is new and has solar panels I would suspect that the installer would have had no option but to install a smart meter.

You can email dsominigeneration@esb.ie for a defenitive answer on this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Looking at the date of manufacture, I don't think it is a smart meter, we are on domestic but 3 phase supply, and I have pretty much the same meter here, but older, and it's not smart. Network electric were on to me recently about changing it out as the time clock is wrong, and on talking to them, 3 phase users are not being supplied with smart meters yet, I don't know if that's because of a shortage of suitable meters, or if they are concentrating on fitting single phase users with smart meters at the moment.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Correct thats a regular (modern) 3 phase meter

It does have day/night tariff capability

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

Thanks all. I'm on a day and night rate alright. I'm not sure if a 3-phase smart meter is even available, presumably it's a bit of a niche product. I've emailed ESB to ask, will see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

Received this response from ESB Networks:

The meter currently in your property is not a smart meter, 

3 phase meters are not scheduled to commence until end 2023 early 2024 for smart exchange,

You will receive a letter 3 months prior to the smart planners commencing in your area and a second letter 2/4 week prior to commencement with contact details for appointments if necessary.

Interesting.

At work the solar panels on the office were connected up over the weekend and commissioning is due to happen this week. This is of course a 3 phase installation and they are hopeful that they will be exporting to the grid within a week or two. I will try to find out how the export is being measured by the utility provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭blobert

Hi Guys, I just got the exact same meter installed for a domestic 3 phase installation for a new build.

I assumed I'd be getting a smart meter.

As we have a very big (circa 40kw) solar install on the way I'll definitely be exporting more electricity than we use.

Can this be accurately measured with this?

A big part of the plan for having masses of solar is to be able to export it and be paid for it so will it still work with a non smart meter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is done with a commercial ‘QH’ meter. It is possible in principle to get something like this fitted in a domestic situation but it’s not really practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Buffman

You would be getting 'deemed' solar export if you don't have a smart meter. Each supplier has their own rates, for example SSE & Flogas below, so check it with your own power provider and it might be worth moving to whoever pays the best. (AFAIK Flogas at the moment)

The renewables forum has a wealth of info on solar if you've any more queries.

https://www.flogas.ie/about-solar-pv/micro-generation.html

https://www.boards.ie/categories/renewable-energies

https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/help-centre/microgeneration/how-is-deemed-export-calculated/

Post edited by Buffman on

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement