Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hopefully less showers today in Dublin, had enough yesterday.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Other than a few light showers and thunder rumbling all around me I got next to nothing yesterday (north side)

I calculate I have got approx 18mm in the past six weeks.

Look up the June 11 1963 thunderstorm in Met.ie extreme weather events, page 3 shows the distribution of rain in Dublin that day, up to 100mm was recorded in Ballsbridge but Dalkey only got 4mm, Howth across the bay got 1mm!

175mm was recorded in Mount Merrion but is not ‘official’ but the rain gauge used was apparently of good standard and not just a bucket in a back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Proper rain show in west Galway now. And I think it rained a bit last night. About time my garden got some rain.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

First shi*ty morning in Galway in a good while. Dried up mostly now but low cloud and spits of drizzle still. I miss the sunny mornings already! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Rainfall looking more like a band of rain than the random thundery downpours since Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

How is the weather looking for Saturday, in particular in Limerick for the hurling matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya that's a cold front. Its only 16c now in Sligo. Brrrr

Yesterday's explosions broke our Summer.

Whatever happens its much warmer now than the turn of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The solstice was at 15:57 ,the long road back to winter has begun 😜

1900 I presume.

Edit: Since 1980 ish. Though 1986 was one really cold year in Ireland, every month seemed to have below normal temperatures. August (Hurricane Charley month) was like October.

• Advertisement

Time to start a winter thread!

For me 15th August marks the beginning of the end of summer. Once it's no longer bright at 9pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Chilly tonight with lows down to 6c for me , other nights will be warmer but for gardners do take heed

Any chance of any snow? Not yet but 45mm of rain on Saturday and Sunday and teen temperatures thereafter.

There was another year we had good weather in the West till June 26th and then it got good again in August. Think it was either 2020 or 2021.

The rest of Ireland wasn't so lucky though. Think it may have only been good in the NW.

Is it summers with low pressure in Biscay can be far better north west as you're further from the low centre?

2012 was a washout everywhere bar Donegal and probably parts of Sligo and the North West. Donegal County Council started their own tourist ads stating they got better weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Grand Stretch in the evenings...

This has been a lovely day in North Kilkenny. 22c and no showers. Lovely Irish summer's day.

Tomorrow is the day to come on and say the evenings are really pulling in! Tomorrow daylight will be 2 seconds shorter.

Show Your Stripes Day I see for Climate Change. That's new on me, Siobhan Ryan in stripes on the rte weather forecast. There are so many advocacy days, you'd wonder is saturation taking from their effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I had to read your post a second time. I thought it read Siobhan Ryan strips on rte forecast. Missed it tonight but I would have watched it on plus one to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

The evenings will still be longer until around 25th though.

• Advertisement

🤣🤣 She looked very well in stripes but she seems to have her limits on what she'll do for climate change 😅

Joanne Donnelly would probably do it alright!

Exactly. Even on 30th of June you only lose a minute in the evening. And 20 min lost in the evening by 21 July. The pace starts to quicken after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Personally, I can't wait for the longer nights. Can't stand this endless daylight. Having said that though, there is something sort of magical about it being bright even at 11.04pm as I write this, but with the trees, dancing gaily and green all day now dark and foreboding and looking like they might jump on you and eat you alive at any moment.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Today's highs, Dublin and carlow tieing for 1st place

An absolutely stunning sunset this evening. Without a doubt, this is one of the nicest Junes I have ever experienced in Galway. The long evenings are glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A beautiful view of Venus and the Moon together out west now. Lovely night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

The Irish Whale and Dolphin Group (IWDG) said it had recorded 11 validated sightings of humpbacks since the start of June 2023 in Donegal Bay and Broadhaven in Mayo. 

But none of those have been in the traditional hotspots of West Cork and Kerry. 

The group said a "complete shift" had been observed in recent weeks, from the Irish south west to the north west - the first time that has happened this century.

^Probably because of the current sea temperatures.

84mm of rain predicted by Norwegian met for Sligo between now and June 30th. Thatl mean we will have 150mm of rain in one of our best June's ever. How Ironic.

Another cracking morning in Galway. Wall to wall blue skies. Make the most of it!

• Advertisement

Rain forecast upgraded to 104mm from now to end of June for Sligo. Apparently rain will intensify over warm ocean so there might be a few places that get 50mm on one of the days.

Advertisement