Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What are they supposed to do? They needed an approval from ER, he didn't supply it so they've nowhere to turn to. His actions, or lack thereof, effectively put them in liquidation. That bit is clear cut.

The joke will be on him when the lack of fuel security bites and FG/FF/SF requires us to go back out to the bogs and do some clear cutting of turf. Though knowing that great entrepreneurial genius, I'm sure he'll have some "bog-rewetting and turf cutting bicycle safari adventure tour" underway by then.

I'm picking up my new bike on Sat, would be great if that tour was up and running by then

In other news, more onshore wind is in the works

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

they would be charged with trading recklessly if they didn't liquidate. as ryan has taken away their ability to trade they really have no choice at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Have you got around yet to comparing the cost of that €11 Billion Finland paid for nuclear to provide 15% of their electricity (figures you yourself posted I believe as being outrageously expensive) and the €200 Billion plus cost of this 30GW offshore plan alone which would not include any onshore wind or solar costs, or is it just something else you would like to ignore ?

Speaking of Finland and offshore, they are tendering for 6GW of offshore wind

• Advertisement

A positive move on the nature restoration law at EU level

Hopefully we can get this moving and signed off soon

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Tippman24

The climate related cases keep on stacking up. The latest ones are in Montana and the UK

The Montana one is a particularly interesting one in that it exposes the amount of shenanigans the govt and oil lobby have participated in in order to keep the oil flowing

First they specifically added "a provision in the Montana Environmental Policy Act which prevents the state from considering how its energy economy may contribute to climate change. In 2011, the legislature amended the law to prevent environmental reviews from considering “regional, national or global” environmental impacts – a provision the original complaint called the “climate change exception”.

In addition

Last month, Montana’s legislature amended the provision to specifically ban the state from considering greenhouse gas emissions in environmental reviews for new energy projects. The state’s attorneys said that should have rendered the lawsuit moot, but Seeley, of the first district court in Montana rejected them.

Then the witness list they put together was a who's-who of climate change deniers and loons lol

If the case is successful it could see changes in how Montana assesses the impact of future projects, though knowing the fkd up system in the US who knows what might happen. Its hard to predict how legislators will govern when offered millions from the oil lobby for their votes

The UK case could have far reaching consequences for new oil & gas projects in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Neither of those last 2 link dumps have any relevance to this country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

To go alongside their nuclear. It's almost like they built the backup systems first isn't it. Crafty hoors

• Advertisement

Speaking of Finland, and rather than using the old political trick of answering a question you were not asked, how about you answering the one you were asked ?.

From your own post Finland will generate a further 15% of its electricity from its latest nuclear plant that cost €11 Billion. Their 15% equates to close to 45% of ours. Even when the target for offshore + Hydrogen was 30GW, (but has now increased by a few more GWs) the cost was north of €200 Billion. And even that did not include the cost of onshore wind or solar, to provide 100% of our needs.

I know that when it comes to mathematics greens are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, but even they have to see the massive disparity in costs don`t they. It really does go to show how financially lunatic this offshore + hydrogen idea is does it not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ireland’s contributions have also underlined the important role that agriculture and food production holds, both economically and culturally, and the need to balance the future of viable farming with the restoration of nature.

So it has lost all its teeth and that's even before the Parliament has overcome its major differences in reaching a consensus.

This will end as a hollow desktop exercise, left to the mandarins and the spin doctors to try and pick some successes out of it.

That slap on the hand might teach the Commission to stop overreaching on certain matters.

I don't recall that being the result of the tantrum thrown by the EPP where even their own members were unhappy with the extreme reaction which ended up blocking their own amendments

All a matter of perspective I guess

LOL Stick to the link dumping gig, as a conman out in the real world you would starve.

I can never figure out what these mysterios loops of yours are. That is other than you coming up with the phrase every time you are confronted with inconvenient facts and figure, which really just means they are nothing other than bluster.

It`s hilarious now seeing you go even further and bring them up for facts and figures you yourself posted.😅

Rather than running attempting to hide under the bed yet again, is it not clear that you really got your jib at Finland`s latest nuclear power plant as being crazily expensive completely arsewise, where for the equilavent cost we could provide close to 45% of our needs rather than a lunatic offshore+ hydrogen plan would cost north of €200 Billion. Over 20 times the cost for this mythical 100%, and that without the cost of onshore or solar included ?

Man up for once and stand over your own post

In other news, a nice selection of new public transport improvements announced lately. Things like this will encourage the move away from inefficient car usage

Routes under Bus connects phase 5a launching this week

As well as an enhanced service and timetable for Route 270, Killarney to Skibbereen

These follow 2 earlier announcements for the Local Link service of new routes coming to that for rural PT users

All good stuff and very welcome. Still loads more to come on the PT front and yes a long way to go still, but consistent and regular improvements are a very, very good sign

The Public Sector Performance Report for 2022 has just been published. Some bits in it jumped out

First off the highlighted bits below

So 37.9% of electricity generation from renewables is fantastic and the EV transition keep trundling along which will help with cleaner air where folks have no alternatives to the car. But the solar installations number, has there been over 10,000 solar installations in Ireland in 2022? That seems awful high but maybe its right. I know there have been boat loads but I'm stunned its that high

Another one that jumped out was the transport spend. 820 million on bus, train, tram and ports. Thats a fantastic increase in PT spending (I know ports are not PT but they're lumped into that 820 figure)

On the EV front, the share has gone from

• 7.36% (26,186) in 2020
    • 15.5% (47,721) in 2021
    • 21.7% (73,574) in 2022

I've shown previously how diesel new car sales are collapsing and EV's will likely overtake petrol sales within the next 18 months too

For cycling, theres been

• 72km of new segregated lanes
    • Nearly 2,900 new bike stands
    • 33km of new greenway

In terms of the retrofitting program, 17,181 done in 2022, with 4,438 of those being lower income homes

As Bertie used to say, loads done, loads more to do

You really are caught in some kind of a loop alright.

That reply has nothing to do with what you were asked.

I`ll simplify for you.

In light of your own post on Finland`s latest nuclear generation power plant providing 15% or their electricity for a cost of €11 Billion, isn`t the 30GW offshore + hydrogen plan that will cost over €200 Billion alone, not including all the onshore and solar, economically bonkers even for numerically illiterate greens ?

37.9% - so a decrease on recent years?

What happened to the 40% by 2020 policy? Was it for that 1 year only? Billions spent over 2 decades and it still comes down to the weather whether it is achieved or not. Heck, the only met it in 2020 due to the covid demand reduction when everything was shut down. Yet some geniuses actually believe we're going to hit 80% in 6.5 years?

Invest in some CCGTs and LNG now, deliver them (since there's fewer supply chain logistics issues) and then see where things stand in 2030.

It's also refreshing to see my tax contributions going towards almost 26% of that retrofitting attributed to lower income homes, but I can't afford to do anything myself for my 1900's ice box. Though, I suppose in this weather, I'm actually more efficient since I don't need cooling fans or aircon to keep a steady 12 degrees. Swings and roundabouts.

The Electricity Regulation Act, 1999 (Section 18), shows that the production of electricity by nuclear fission, is prohibited in Ireland

Not really much point talking about something that isn't a possibility

Maybe when nuclear fusion becomes a reality we can revisit as the wording of the passage does not rule that out. Only 20 years to wait or so they say

On the other hand, there was an interesting recent discussion on the soon-to-be-released National Hydrogen Strategy, what it might contain and how its content might impact the move towards a green hydrogen solution for Ireland

Personally, I'm guessing it will be very light on specifics but maybe I'll be proven wrong. Have to wait for its launch to see. One positive is it will all us to move on to the next step in the process. as we won't be waiting for this document to be released. That should bring some clarity to investors and other concerned parties.

• Advertisement

Who is talking about nuclear? But sure why waste another opportunity to dump a few more random irrelevant links.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You won't need to worry and being proven wrong. It's guaranteed to be very light on specifics.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

The medical termination of pregnancy was prohibited in Ireland until 1st January 2019. And now it is not, subject to a regime of control and oversight.

The production of electricity by nuclear fission will be prohibited, until it isn't.

And if a combination of factors makes the introduction of small modular fission reactors practical and economical, then that is what the State will do, with the assent of the Oireachtas elected by a people who are done paying over the odds for energy, at a price dictated in the marble throne rooms of the Middle East.

Besides, if the Green zealots have us eliminate peat and soon coal and later gas generation, then the only always-on, non-polluting bridging source, to cope with the periodic fall-offs in renewable sources, will be nuclear.

We already had an orange alert for grid deficiency in this State just two weeks ago, when the wind went slack and the skies filled with mist and low cloud. So the people are seeing this ideological conflict in real time. They hear it on the news and they see it in their energy bills. They are looking for permanent solutions.

As Sherlock Holmes might say, whenever all other possibilities have been exhausted, whatever remains, no matter how unlikely, must be the solution.

More good news coming out of the EU in relation to renewables

Representatives of the 27 member states approved a package raising the current goal of 32% to 45% by 2030. About 22% of the EU’s total energy consumption came from renewables in 2021, meaning the new target will double the amount in less than a decade.

There's a set of rules and targets to go along with this

Under the new rules, countries that fail to add enough solar, wind and other forms of renewable energy each year could be fined by the EU. The share of renewables must increase by 0.8 percentage points annually until 2025, after which it will have to rise by 1.1 percentage points.

This means more than 100GW of wind and solar to be added each year across the EU.

Other sectors (transport, housing etc) will also have specific targets too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Did you notice a lot of disruption during the ‘orange alert’ as you call it? Did you know there was 600 MW of battery on call to deal with any trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Irish government will not want to lose the golden goose (i.e. MNC tax revenue), The likes of Intel and other MNCs are forward looking, and energy availability and costs matter.

Intel warns high energy costs will put off investors

IDA Ireland, the state’s inward investment agency, last year wrote to the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities warning that Ireland’s creaking energy system was “increasingly viewed as expensive, unpredictable and relatively high risk” by foreign companies.

This newspaper understands that Intel’s engagement with the government in recent months focused heavily on energy issues, with the technology giant warning Ireland’s “long-term reputation and competitiveness” could be impacted when it came to future investments. source

Tara Mines CEO says company was facing ‘tremendous unsustainable losses’

Speaking to RTÉ’s Morning Ireland on Wednesday, Mr Nystrom said the closure was brought about by a “perfect storm” of four factors; falling zinc prices, electricity prices, inflation, and operational issues.

“The zinc market seems to be very volatile at the moment.” The company is owned by Swedish multinational Boliden which also holds zinc mines there. source

The energy costs feeds into inflation and a shortage of vegetables has become a problem, with a combination business failures, operating costs, weather and Brexit affecting production in this country.

Field vegetable production area estimated to decrease by 7% in 2023

In recent years, a significant number of primary producers in the vegetable sector and other horticultural sectors have ceased trading and early indications for the 2023 season show this continuing, Teagasc has warned in a new report.

Input price inflation in the horticulture sector in Ireland has taken a firm hold; it has its roots in Brexit, the covid pandemic, and more recently the illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine.

A surprising factoid I learned from the presentation by David Horgan is that in South Africa the unreliable electricity grid has created a shortage of anti-venom. Mr. Horgan has experience in mineral extraction having worked for Kenmare Resources and Clontarf energy. He outlines how investment in reliable supplies is now falling well short of societal needs, example how an NGO that is an arm of the Green party, An Taisce, held up investment by Tirlán (formely Glanbia) costing the company €104 million.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Absolutely true. In fact, alongside cyber vulnerability, a stable energy market / energy security are the biggest risk factors to the Irish economy.

There isn't 600MW of battery, some no longer exist and of what does, the longest has 25 minutes of storage. That'll save the square root of 1 sod of turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

How did the supposed ‘orange’ alert affect your life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The effect is cumulative, there is a cost to balancing the grid that ultimately must be paid when we get our electricity bills. In addition "demand management units" must curtail production and/or fall back on their reserve generators. that has a cost to them. The more frequent these alerts become the more loss of confidence in the grid system increases and it affects future investment decisions which eventually translates into effect on employment. There is no cheap fix to this.

What happened in December 2022 should have been headline news, the failure of both wind, and solar, freezing conditions and all time record energy demand. The Irish wind energy association (IWEA) and Irish solar energy association (ISEA) issue press releases to "environmental churnalists" when the wind blows or sun shines. There were adverts running to tell domestic consumers to use heavy consumption devices (hair driers) when the wind is blowing, the signalling is there to tell us consumers the grid is maxxed out. Unsurprisingly given their focus, the Sunday Business Post is the the only media outlet in Ireland that often calls into question the competence of Eirgrids management on their failure to deliver projects.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Advertisement