Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M50 variable speed signs, useless??..

• 19-06-2023 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I was on the M50 this morning between Tallaght and Finglas exits between 830 and 9am. Traffic was quite light except a few spots mainly after major junctions (M7, M4, M3).

The speed signs were off until before M7, where they said 100kmh. I could see on Maps the traffic was orange up ahead. The next sign also said 100 (despite traffic clearly about to get busy). The 3rd sign said 80kmh, however at this stage, I was already crawling at 25kmh.

The same thing happened at the next few junctions. Traffic never came to a halt, but I passed under all the speed signs (near major junctions) at 40kmh or less.

What's the story?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's reactive to the traffic +5mins in my experience. Completely and utterly useless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as above, any time i've seen the signs on they are reflecting traffic speeds rather than dictating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

The only time I’ve seen them in use proactively, everyone ignored them anyway and raced headlong into the back of a very visible traffic jam at 100kph. People, on average, are stupid and think themselves amazing drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Without Automatic speed cameras of course they are useless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unless they change the law they aren't speed limits so cameras will also be useless. Speed limits signs are

A speed limit sign, as set out in the Schedule, shall consist of a white disc with a red border containing -

(a)      in black figures, the appropriate speed limit applying, and

(b)      beneath those figures, in black letters “km/h”.

S.I. No. 10/2005 - Road Traffic (Speed Limit - Traffic Signs) Regulations 2005 (irishstatutebook.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They should probably change the law so...

Very few people will accept that a lower average speed limit leads to quicker journeys, no matter if analysis proves as much. They dismiss it as "obviously wrong". So the only way to get it to work is enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

They are useless full stop. Who are these camera's aimed at people who cannot drive properly I'm guessing. You don't need a variable speed limit it's pretty obvious drive in a manner that does not risk rear ending the car in front common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

The idea with these is that you slow down traffic before it gets congested. If you manage it, the traffic never gets congested. It’s nothing to do with people who cannot drive properly or people seeing the car in front, it’s supposed to happen long before the traffic jam is visible.

Advertisement