Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many calf deaths per year - Sucklers

• 17-06-2023 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Just wondering what would be the average number of calf deaths you have with Sucklers.

For example, either give an idea of percentage deaths or you could just say that 2 out of 20 in total calved this year died...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

1 out of 15 to 20 sucklers every year.

Either at birth or days into weeks old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

None this year (1 left) or last & 1 each year '21 and '20. One of these where the cow lay on the calf in a big field and the other unknown sickness at couple weeks old.

I only use easy calving LM bulls 3-5% difficulty which saves issues at birth for me. I see a neighbour who has 60 sucklers loses about at least 10% every year, mostly at calving using big charloais bull. He's serious calves but some headache with cows & calves down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

One this year out of eighteen calvings (two more to go) when a heifer smothered her five day old calf by lying too close to it against a wall. Last year we lost one (two month old) due to scour and then pneumonia and the year before we had to get a two day old calf put down cause it's anus/backpassage wasn't developed properly and it wasn't able to dung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭148multi

When there was 1 million suckers, there was 200 thousand with no calf registered.

If half these were due to calf losses 10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

None this year so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I say it runs at around those figures. The 0.8 calves reared to a Suckler cow has remained consistent over the last 20+ years.

Slava Ukrainii

Gave a neighbour a hand where a cow got herself in a situation, complemented him on the fine cow.

She hasn't had a calf in three years was his response. And they wonder why suckler farmers income is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Seems 10% is likely to be losses then. With another 10% of sucklers just not going in calf for one reason or the other.

Lost 4 out of 40 this year so don't feel too bad as it is seemingly the average. Of course we strive to be above average but there was genuinely nothing could be done in these 4 cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Whenever I loose a calf, I always feel that it's something I've done wrong myself. Either used the wrong AI bull on a cow, not restricting feed before calving, not keeping calf bedding clean etc etc. I didn't loose any this year, but lost a heifer after a prolapse. I usually loose about maybe 8% to 10%.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

I’d consider losing 4 out of 40 pretty high, I’d say it’s 2-3 % here but I’d use easy calving bulls which helps.

Yea, didn't restrict or didn't feed enough, always sumit to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Not lost a Calf since 2019. Before that I had one right bad year where I lost 8 out of 27 between hard calvings, big weak calves that couldn't get up nevermind suck themselves, and finally scour and pneumonia.

Currently I've had zero calving difficulties, no calves lost, springers calving on there own with no help. Calves are vigorous and get up and suck themselves, it's down to the Bull for the Calvings and calf vigour. I changed from a big 5 star Charolais Bull to a 5 star easy calving Limousine Bull.

After that its down to ample straw, dry draught free conditions for the calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

When i had sucklers I used to give a few fist full of oats to the cows 3 weeks before calving. The calves were unreal lively at birth. I cant say it helped but I did notice a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Silverdream yes matching the bull to the cow is a great way of reducing calving issues & inturn calf deaths. A small hardy alive calf beats a big dead lad every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We give rolled oats to cows for a few weeks before calving and dry cow minerals as well.

The amount of men opening the door of a trailer showing the best calf they ever had dead still haunts me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@148multi ye we all want to breed the best animal we can. But we need to be realistic about what our cows are able to calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Agree, How we feed the cow 6-10 weeks precalving can be vital too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Have been thinking about this thread over the past few days. Had a good year this year all cows calved and live calves are at foot. Had a bad year about 8 years ago where I lost 7 calves out of 25 in a week due to cryto and rotavirus. There will always be a loss or 2. Last year a cow penned a week old calf to a wall and he was gone in a matter of minutes. Another year was a random one with a gut blockage, another year a set of still born twins. This list could go on

The suckler herd is very different to the dairy herd.

1. Mostly part timers. This cuts the amount to time that can be given to watch cows calving. Even with technology of cameras, moo calls and collars, being able to intervene to a problem quickly is hard if you are at work

2. Lack of a breeding focus. With many having a focus on the weanling sales and trying to achieve top dollar for weanlings this ups the calving difficulty. Having a number of monster calves but losing even 2-3 of these in a small herd knocks the bottom line huge, with the build up of hidden costs that these loses bring. The focus has to be on the total kg that is produced across the herd/ by cows in calf

3. A large spread on breeding, leading to a large calving spread. Most of the time problems happen towards the end of calving. You are more focused at the beginning of calving. Imagine what way you would be after 12 weeks of calving and still watching 2 or 3 to calve. They won't get the same attention

4. Calving at the end of a long housing period. If you were penned up in a room of 15ft x14ft for nearly 6 months this has you in some state of fitness. Compare this maybe to a dairy cow with cubicles, they have more room to move and moop about. This helps greatly

5. Passengers. They have to be moved on, simples. They are a passenger for reason. They just cost to much to hang around for a year. No point wasting time in this

6. Hygiene in sheds. Be that calving pens and that is easy sort, loads for straw. But the big hidden is spring calving cows calving with heaps of muck caked to them especially around the udder, it's a recipe for a disaster for a young calf in the 1st week

7. The calving jack and sections. Hard calvings really limit a cows ability to go back in calf quickly let alone the potential vet bills. Only one vet call out this year and that was a prolapse. If you have to use the jack more than 5-10% of the time you need to have the auld head examined

After the cryto loses it was a game changer. The focus then switched to how can I get as many calves to weaning out of the cows. A switch to maternal traits helped with BDGP, this also helped the calving spread. This year it was 40 days over 25 cows. But the 3 biggest have been. April calving outdoors, cows getting some excerise in a sacrafice paddock. Even only for a few hours daily. It really helps cows get fit for calving. Finally forgetting about calving difficulty with bull of 10%. This has lead to more calves on the ground and cows going back in calf quicker.

We all have losses, and blame ourselves for a few days after it, but it's what action can we take improve it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

This can be the most important part of the puzzle.

Used to have problems here with difficult calvings: maybe 3-4 vet visits out of 25 cows. Culminating in 2 cows and 3 calves lost in 2020 due to a variety of reasons. These would all be decent size ped LM cows using AI bulls so would be matching bulls to cows constantly and not just throwing anything at them.

At that stage I was ready to pull the plug on the whole thing but all cows ended up getting hay that winter before calving. 0 calving problems in 21 so I stuck with the hay since. No problems in 22 and had the vet once for a breach this year. Have had no losses in the 3 years from the same cows and using more or less the same bulls as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

My dilemma; lost 4 month calf yesterday with pneumonia. Had vet twice so happy with myself that I did everything I could have done.

anyhoots - what to do with the cow. If I lose a calf at calving, I don’t carry her empty for the year so she gets the gate unfortunately. Now this cow though is likely to be 2 months in calf. She’s probably fat score 2 and might squeeze her to an R grade. Options as I see it:

1. Inject and abort calf and fatten

2. Don’t inject and just fatten

3. Scan to confirm in calf and keep her as not lucky to do anything else.

It's a very simple to answer. It's going to be at least 18 months before this cow will leave any money back on the table if she is kept. And if you factor in the costs she has to cover 2 winters before that calf will have any cash on the table

If she was mine, she would have 2 options. Inject and fatten or scan and sell as in calf. It issue was with the calf and pneumonia not with the cow

Would a dairy farmer carry an empty cow for a year

Use a load of hay here for the cows. A really underrated feed. BCS is never to much of an issue for suckler. With a large number of calf to beef and finishing everything, the silage has to be good, but too good for the cows. I go hay silage hay etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

She’ll be fat in a month six weeks off good grass. Send her to mart then if u want her gone If u want to keep her , Selling a good young cow for 2000 then to pay more than that for a springer in 3/4 months. I’m not so sure is it worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

1 out of 20 generally here. 1/30 on a very good year. Sometimes I find the 1 that dies is kinda covered with a twin, don't know if that counts.

It’s more the fact she’s in calf. Older farmers used to say it was bad luck to kill anything that was in calf.

she’s 9 years old so won’t be selling her as in calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would inject her and fatten her. If you sell her in calf even if fat dealers allow for what the calf and bag weigh. If she is only 6-8 weeks incalf there is very little there at present.

If you have dry land to carry her she will be a serious weight put on by mid-September. Generally prices for the last few year only started to really fall in October ( if even then).

She be ten years old next year, fat from having no calf for 3-4 months if the prime grazing season and it's adds to the risk of something happening at calving or even afterwards.

Empathy and farming are poor bedfellows. A cow declared not incalf with plenty of weigh in will make 2-500 more than a cow that is incalf.

Just as an aside ABP have changed there lairage declaration form regarding cows. Farmers/ dealers must not arrange for intake of lactating cows so that they can be slaughtered within 12 hours of last milking.

How long before a similar declaration about incalf cows.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement